-Sedentary barbs
-Monarch level
-Paal: Greece
-GA: Iroquois
-6 AIs (8 players total)
-All normal victory conditions on
-Respawn, cultural starts off

The most important rule: I have to win. [estwing]

I'll post a picture of my start as soon as Beam finishes our map and I get the save (I'm going first, Paalikles is after me). Comments welcome.

Lt. Killer M
03-10-2004, 16:52
hey, you stole *my* smiley! ;)

wlecome and good luck!

Ginger_Ale
03-10-2004, 19:37
Thanks Killah (that's how we Boston people pronouce r's ;)). I'm sorry...perhaps we can settle that dispute over a PBEM once this one finishes? [hammer]

Alright, and thanks. (*goes off to annoy Beam to finish the map*)

Lt. Killer M
03-10-2004, 19:47
I sawr it - and it was from Maas!

;)

yes, let's play a game! [:estwing]

Ginger_Ale
08-10-2004, 23:39
Yipee, what a great start! 3 food on the starting tile, 3 food from cattle = :D

Wish me luck. [goodjob]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Ginger_Ale/2004108233842_gastart.JPG
101.5KB

Ginger_Ale
11-10-2004, 17:15
I'm going for a farmer's gambit - I've got lots of food. I'm going to go for Writing at minimum (I assume Paalikles is doing the same), then head for Philosophy, get CoL as my free tech, and research The Republic (or CoL, then Philo, and get Republic as my free tech, if my neighbors are backwards. On Monarch, I get 2 free content citizens, so I'm going straight for granary, then I'll pump out warriors and settlers. I'll use the luxury slider as needed - my warrior will explore.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Ginger_Ale/2004101117148_update.JPG
108.94KB

Socrates
11-10-2004, 17:35
With all that food and the level being Monarch (I suppose the map maker didn't mess up with the world size bug), I would have gone for Writing at max, being sure to have it in much less than 50 turns. Don't know or can't remember what Paalikles chose though...

BTW, you should cut your pics in the beginning of the game at least, because there is a lot of unnecessary dark at the moment. ;)

Ginger_Ale
11-10-2004, 19:47
You don't like black? It's my favorite color. [:p]

Well, even if I increase it, it stays at the max turns...when I grow next turn, I'll see if I can turn it up.

Socrates
11-10-2004, 20:33
Yes, black is a cool colour, I agree, but just on the edges of a pic it's cool too... ;) The biggest drawback is the width of the topic once you've uploaded such large pics. I wish I could have pics which don't extend it ; but you'd need to resize them... [hmm]

About the beakers : each tech needs X beakers, and that is written in stone once the game has begun. It can only decrease if it is known by some opponents you have already met. Now : each turn you store Y beakers for the tech. You need to do a little math (nothing extraordinary) to see if going at max will get you to the tech before 50 turns. At the moment it seems you can't get faster, but you must take your growth into account : with such land around and with your agricultural trait, you're sure to increase your research rate quickly. Divide X by 50 to see the average beakers needed per turn, and see if you can get more over 50 turns. If yes, then researching at max is worth a try (ie. you can get it faster than 50 turns, I don't say it's better no matter what). On Monarch, you should be able to get it easily, UNLESS the world size bug has struck again.

Ginger_Ale
11-10-2004, 20:55
(I just grew to size 2) - now I can research it quicker - by 3 turns - so, I said ok. I now get it in 41 turns, instead of 44 or whatever the number was.

Btw, what's the world size bug?

Socrates
11-10-2004, 21:04
Yeah but GA, I didn't imply that going at maximum research is the only way to go !! You must weigh the good and the bad in each decision you take and make your mind on what's the best for you in your game. What I wanted to tell you is : if you had gone at max since turn 1, you would be closer to writing right now (more beakers stored). The number of turns required for the tech that is displayed on the screen is just an estimated number, only based on the number of beakers needed to complete the research and the rate at which you're going. It doesn't take your growth nor the other tribes getting it into account of course. You must do the math or feel things like Luke Skywalker to know for sure.

The world size bug : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=98041
To see if it's indeed a tech pace based on Monarch + Standard size, you need to do some math too.

akots
11-10-2004, 21:08
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov
... researching at max is worth a try (ie. you can get it faster than 50 turns, I don't say it's better no matter what). ...

This is so simple, I have never even though that it needs such a detailed explanation to anyone. :)

Ginger_Ale
13-10-2004, 19:55
We're on turn 8 or something. :) Just an update. Paalikles is busy with college stuff so the game is going a bit slow - but that's fine with me. :) My email is ale.of.ginger (thefunkyatsymbol) gmail.com if you all want to spam me!!

Ginger_Ale
16-10-2004, 14:25
Turn 12 update :D

I popped a warrior from the other goody hut you saw in the earlier pic. Once my granary finishes I'll build a settler, a warrior, and I'll go from there. :)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Ginger_Ale/20041016142415_3400bc.JPG
137.8KB

anarres
17-10-2004, 15:21
GA, I would suggest moving the eastern warrior *only* east and the northern one *only* north! This maximises the tiles you uncover much more than diagonal moves.

Oh, and of course move off the line to follow mountains or hills or to pop huts, but generally you want to head in one of the compass directions until you hit a coastline...

Ginger_Ale
17-10-2004, 16:09
Look at the very eastern point of the pic, by the volcano. You can see a river mouth. River mouth = coast. Therefore, I added in a little "up" arrow because I can't walk on water. ;) The arrow is supposed to be saying I'm just going to go along the coast.

(hope you can see it in the screenshot - it's hard to, it's easier in the game).

Ginger_Ale
17-10-2004, 18:48
I built a granary, but it's not working?! Also, we're on turn 20 ... and I lost one warrior to a barb.
I think I can get a 4 turn settler factory but I'm not sure. I'm not one to micromanage. ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Ginger_Ale/20041017184711_granary.JPG
129.22KB

Socrates
17-10-2004, 20:43
Don't worry, if I understand the pic, you built your granary 1 turn ago. The granary line will be displayed when you have grown up, ie. in 3 turns. It doesn't give you some food bonus to fill half the column. Your settler factory seems well on its way ; it looks like the 2 cows have a bonus shield, strange. [hmm] Good luck !

Ginger_Ale
17-10-2004, 22:37
That's fine with me. ;)

Yep, the Granary now works..

Ginger_Ale
24-10-2004, 20:28
We're on turn 31...it's going good. I have pretty good terrain. I'm going for a loose build, but stricter than OCP. Nice terrain too. I'm about to make contact with blue. :)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Ginger_Ale/20041024202745_gogago.JPG
203.29KB

Ginger_Ale
01-11-2004, 23:29
Turn 53! [dance]

I've been doing some more exploring and expanding...looks like it's pretty easy to out-expand the AI on Monarch with good terrain. ;)

Paalikles and I have decided not to declare war on each other when we find each other, but maybe soon after that. [evil]

Any comments are welcome. PS: Look at the score! :D

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Ginger_Ale/2004111232840_gagagagogogo.JPG
187.06KB

Ginger_Ale
14-11-2004, 22:46
I've met Paalikles.

It's the beginning of the end. :)

However, he is ahead of me tech-wise. I don't have any techs he doesn't have. :(

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Ginger_Ale/2004111422452_thehomeland.JPG
273.4KB

Ginger_Ale
22-11-2004, 22:20
Turn 99: Wow this game is going quick! :) 2 of the 3 AIs I know (I need to find them all - 1 or 2 more I think) are in the Middle Ages. I'm stuck without Bronze Working, Currency, Construction, Poltheism, etc...however, the good news: I have 5 turns away from getting Republic. The only civ that will know it, I hope. If I can get to it first, I can cash in big. :D I'll keep you updated with some screenshots in a bit.

Ginger_Ale
11-01-2005, 23:33
Sorry, everyone, I haven't updated this in a while. Turns are going at a nice 1 turn/day pace. We are on turn 145. Here is a summary of what has happened since then:

I have met all 6 AI civs, and am now more or less caught up in the tech race. Down by one required tech, and one optional. Paalikles has declared war on the Russians and according to him, he will take them out in 1 or 2 turns depending on the RNG.

Paal and the Chinese declared war on me, but I held off and triggered my golden age with a MW. I have no plans of conquest, so I signed peace and used my golden age for buildings. My capital is at 29 spt but I want to get it to 30spt (and it will next turn as it grows). I NEED HOMELAND DEFENSE!! I have warriors, if not spears, so a pikeman a turn would be awesome.

Turn 145: Paal is up on me Invention, but I get Education in 4 turns. If I can get it first, I will sell it to all AIs to catch up and leave Paal in the dust.

From now on I'll try to give updates every 5-ish turns if time permits.

I have a screenshot of my empire:

http://img60.exs.cx/img60/5347/300adpaal4wf.th.jpg (http://img60.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img60&image=300adpaal4wf.jpg)

Ginger_Ale
14-01-2005, 01:22
Turn 146: I get Education in 3 (monopoly time!!). My capital is now up to 31 spt for a Veteran Pikeman every turn for the next many turns to come.

Ginger_Ale
15-01-2005, 03:15
Turn 147: I have forfeited the game to Paalikles. He played an amzing game - here are some reasons I lost:

1. I lost my early warrior to barbarians. This really slowed down making contacts and put me behind in the tech race.
2. I had a suicide galley 1 turn from reaching the other side of the sea between Paal and I, but it sank, further distancing me from the other civs.
3. Paal got to many techs first and gifted them to the AI after trading, leaving me in the dust.
4. Paal and China's war against me at a completely unexpected time.
5. 50% of my cities had warriors or nothing in them. 50% of my army was workers. Speaks for itself.
6. MP is so much different than SP!!

We are discussing a rematch... :)

Pastorius
16-01-2005, 23:08
Evil monsters ey. :D Damn it, good work on the catching up you did. I would have no trading options with the AI with the line I chose for research. It wouldnt be prudent to sell mil techs to the soon to be conquered that already hate your guts...

Socrates
16-01-2005, 23:19
quote:Originally posted by Ginger_Ale

6. MP is so much different than SP!!

GA, you're somewhat in the position I was 12 months ago (even less than that) : quite confident in SP, but newbie in MP. They're really are different games ! [crazyeye] You must keep in mind you only have one real opponent, the human one. The AIs are mostly distraction for you, or better : your resource if you know how to tame them.

How did you lose ? Did Paali erase many of your cities ?

Ginger_Ale
17-01-2005, 00:19
No, but he was 2 tiles away from a couple of core undefended cities. [:p]