PDA

View Full Version : Light Pneunomia

Beam
02-10-2004, 22:57
Some of you know that I've been home the past 2 weeks suffering and recovering from an almost simultaneous flu, cold and "throat infection". The first 2 are gone but the coughing related to the the throat infection didn't really heal.

Last monday I consulted my doctor and he prescribed me Codeine for a couple of days. For those who don't know, codeine produces morphine thru the liver. The results were a very slight improvement on a day-by-day base, also with some very heavy and painfull periods of coughing.

As I was disappointed by the progress and had some serious coughing again today I consulted the "Huisartsencentrale", the doctors on weekend duty. The doctor doing the consult almost immediately concluded I had a light Pneunomia (if that's the word in English, in Dutch it is called Longontsteking, a straight translation to English would be Lunginfection). As it was a little shocking I also discussed how this could happen and if I had done anything wrong with my pattern of sickness. I was particulary concerned about the 2 or 3 beers before sleep but according to the doc this was a good medicine as it helped to get a restfull night. :)

So right now I am on antibiotics and some inhaling device that opens the bronchii to take away the uneasy feeling. I must say I feel much better now than I've ever felt the past week but it'll be a couple of days at least before full recovery.

Socrates
03-10-2004, 01:02
Woah, hard luck ! It seems you're going to be OK soon though. :) we must never neglect the good we can find in the bad : I was happy about the fast pace of our game, and I hope you enjoyed playing as well. I'm not one of those who comment much about RL stuff and stuff (especially real problems and birthdays), but I want you to be rock'n roll when I come, so : here's hoping you to get better this week.

Grille
03-10-2004, 01:58
Hope you fully recover soon!:)

Kingreno
03-10-2004, 10:01
Any comments by the doc about smoking?

Pastorius
03-10-2004, 10:34
Yeah, live long and prosper ;) Recover soon man!
It is called lungebetennelse in Norwegian. Can be quite bad. I had it as a kid - and that REALLY hurt. I was so messed up I cant remember a tiny thing about it, but my grandmother told me she used to watch over me when I had it - I was in another world at that time she said. Ouch.

Lt. Killer M
03-10-2004, 17:00
Beam, whatever this 'flue' everyone in Europe sems to have atm really is - the coughing sucks! I have it as well, can't really get healthy again, can't get rid of the cough. MY GF got antibiotics for 2 weeks, I'll go see a doc tomorrow, too. Hope you get better SOON!

Beam
14-10-2004, 22:04
For the first time in a couple of weeks I wasn't totally exhausted after some shopping trips (the nesserary ones). Spoke with a friend of mine who got Pneumonia 2 years ago and he told me the antibiotics kill most of the bacteria needed for food digestion as well. They seem to be reproducing again, you don't want to know the noise they make doing that. Not even talking about other indications. ;)

Getting really bored now staying at home all day and watching the latest Torrent downloaded movie. The PBEMs coming in are the best diversion. Period.

Looking forward to see u nxt week!

Ginger_Ale
14-10-2004, 22:42
Bye Beam!! Hope ye get better soon. :)

PS: Once you get back, you'll see in my spoiler how good I'm beating up Paali!!

akots
14-10-2004, 23:14
To replenish the bacterial supply you can use DanActive Immunity from Dannon which is probably in the dairy section in the supermarket but only after you finish taking the antibiotics. This ensures that what grows back in your guts is healthy and not some parasite fungus. :)

Beam
20-10-2004, 23:20
So the antibiotics vs. the Pneumonia also take their share of bacteria in the intestinai. So walking thru the supermarket you see "Almhof Biogarde Kwark" (Quark) with its special recommendation that it keeps the flora in the intestinai in balance. It must have been way out of balance since about 15 minutes later a Saturn V was lifting off!

But it seems to have restored balance cause even a "Satebroodje" goes in without secondary effects. :)

Please post if you want more detail. ;)

Socrates
20-10-2004, 23:34
quote:Originally posted by Beam

It must have been way out of balance since about 15 minutes later a Saturn V was lifting off!

And what am I supposed to understand ? :D Will you keep some for the reunion ?

quote:But it seems to have restored balance cause even a "Satebroodje" goes in without secondary effects. :)

What is that ? Sounds Russian to me.

quote:Please post if you want more detail. ;)

Done but I wasn't asking for details, just precisions. [tongue]

akots
21-10-2004, 02:08
It must have been really badly off balance then. [lol]

Just keep drinking it for a week or so every day and then more occasionally like every 2-3 days for about a month.

Beam
17-12-2004, 22:40
This week I felt good enough to pick up work in part-time mode again and according to some chats with my manager and collegues earlier on we got a nice agreement on doing some customer project work that is important engough to offer a well needed challenge but not on any critical path. So, there is only minor time pressure and therefore very suitable for picking up the rhythm again. I can also vary doing it at home vs. customer site between 90-10 or 10-90. (For those interested, it is analyzing customer specs/requirements, compiling questions about them, identify the gap with the current release and finally make estimates).

The really nice thing is that my employer is very supportive and understanding in a gradual come-back to full-time which I expect 2nd half of Jan.

Also had a call with one of the company doctors today following a letter where he wanted to speak with me about my current health and something getting very famous in Holland: the Reintegrationplan. As this kind of shit usually is most appreciated by bureaucrats I'd taken some initiatives already to arrange my own reintegration. This made the doctor very happy cause it saved him from a lot of paperwork and he was more than happy to enter a well-recovering message in the system and grant another 2 months for recovery until all kinds of indicators start flashing :) He also adviced me to report partially healthy for 50% instead of 40% cause that would put me from Inactive back to Active putting another indicator on safe. Isn't this a nice doctor or what and isn't this a great example of Working the System? ;)

I'd already agreed with the people looking at utilization that the entire period of my illness would left outside the numbers so this all sums up nicely.

I'd also like to thank the CDZ community for support, inquiring, fighting boredom, social contacts, patience with the delay of the get together, fun, and everything else. Special thanks to Stapel for letting me explore my limits during the LAN-party ;) If this sounds like a goodbye message, for me it is, saying goodbye to the past 3 months being home most of the time.

Kingreno
17-12-2004, 23:02
Ah great! You are physicly fit enough to do the dishes tomorrow! [tongue]

But on a more serious note; how do your colleagues react in general? I have some experience with this with my ex-company and when things are not going well (as is the case with most companies now), it sometimes less accepted that someone is home ill.

Beam
18-12-2004, 00:10
In brief: everybody is very happy I'm recovering well and I've not even heard the slightest indication ppl having hard feelings. I've been in contact with the projecteam at the customer site on a regular base and helped them out if it was something they had a problem with and easy to solve for me. Something unforseen but turning out very well was my 4 week vacation in August because of which I had transfered my job temporarily to a collegue (who was sitting on the bench). He easily could replace me again when I got ill. So there wasn't a gap that suddenly had to be filled.

Beam
09-02-2005, 20:53
Thread about to be closed. Continued http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2382 .