PDA

View Full Version : Looking for players for WW2 Conquest

romeothemonk
28-09-2004, 18:23
Greetings, I am looking for players willing to play the WW2 Pacific conquest. I have yet to try it on PBEM, but have beaten it on Sid several times as Japan, U.S. and China.
Typically there are 5 players, 4 allies and Japan. The game moves fairly quickly, and I have really enjoyed the level of play that I have seen in my PBEM that I am involved in here.
Let me know if you are interested, as well as preferred civs. (Ability level/experience level as well might be useful.)
I am hoping for 2 turns every 3 days as a rate of play.
I am located in Rapid City, South Dakota and play at Mountain Time.

Arghis
17-10-2004, 20:18
i'm interested. I'd like to play Japan, and playing at emperor level. i'm in France and play at any time ...

romeothemonk
17-10-2004, 21:48
Excellant, I can tee off against Arghis again. He is a worthy foe.

Justus II
18-10-2004, 17:10
I'd be interested! I've been wanting to play this conquest, and I think it would be fun as part of a team (allies). I'm still fairly new to PBEM, but my normal SP level is DG-Diety. I'd be interested in playing the Commonweatlh, I'll let someone more experienced play the US. I live in Illinois (Central time zone).

romeothemonk
18-10-2004, 19:35
Welcome Justus. It will be a pleasure to play with/against you, again.

Arghis
18-10-2004, 23:54
@romeo : i'm interested in playing another game agaisnt you. our first is very "addicting"

i just test this scenario once, but was bored by the way the IA played (i'm an old fan of World in Flames, so expectations were too high ...)
Playing as one of the allies can be an interesting match, even if some are not very powerful. the map seems to be interesting. and it promises a lot of discussion.

Please included from the beggining detailled battle reports. It's already really a pain not knowing what forces are on board, so just seeing them poping out from the fog greatly saddens the overall game. (Do you imagine playing chess while just seeing your adversary when your units arrives in their vicinity ...).
I just ask for something like :
Attacking & defending forces ; Attacking & defending losses

romeothemonk
19-10-2004, 02:56
Sounds Fair. There are no great advanced units like Ancient Cavs, which I was trying to keep secret my use of them from you to gain a slight advantage.
Their are a few of these games going on at CivFanatics that you can lurk in if you like. I have yet to play this scenario as multiplayer, but it greatly intrigues me.
I would set the following rules.
1. No Razing or abandoning cities, as there are no settlers.
2. Battle reports consist of kills and losses for each side, as well as general location.
3. No ship chaining.

there may be more, but these are what I can think of now.

Justus II
23-10-2004, 07:07
Is there still interest in this scenario? I've been looking over some other threads, and had a couple other points to bring up for discussion:

-AP (Accelerated Production) is the default setting for the MP .BIQ file, and most other PBEM attempts at this game use it, otherwise (they say) it takes too long for new production ships etc. from US to get into action. What do you think?
-Gifting of cities. Personally I think it opens up too many exploits (China gives the US a city, they rush an airport, and can airlift direct to China), I'd prefer to ban it.
-Some games ban government switches, I don't think we need a rule, if you want to risk a 9-turn anarchy in a 50-turn game....
-The Dutch are normally an AI-only player, but in the MP version, they are not only playable, but as Player One in the turn order, have to be played by a human, or the .BIQ has to be edited to move them down in the turn order. If we are short of players, I had been thinking of leaving them as AI -controlled (they often seem to get eliminated soon anyway), or maybe combine them with the Commonwealth (one player plays both, just edit the turn order so they move consecutively).

Anyway, just some thoughts, I'm still interested in playing this, after looking into it some more. (BTW, I also found a lot of STRANGE building improvements in the Commonwealth, several cities with Coal Plants but no factory, etc., so beware for everyone, the first turn should be thourough!). ;)

Arghis
24-10-2004, 07:51
sounds ok for me

romeothemonk
24-10-2004, 23:47
Sounds good to me, but I am not a fan of AP. It unbalances for the allies.

Justus II
25-10-2004, 02:31
Well, that's one of the reasons I bring it up, to see what other's experience is. I've *Never* played with AP, so I don't really know how it affects the game balance (much less this scenario). The couple times I've loaded a game with it on, it was too disorienting! But, since it's the default, and it seems many people do use it, I thought it worth discussing.

As for the others, what's the feeling on the Dutch? Is this worth playing with just 3 players (Dutch and China AI)? Or I could play both Dutch and Commonwealth (leave China as AI)? Or wait to see if we get more players?

romeothemonk
25-10-2004, 02:58
I would vote for at least one more player. I have always thought that China is the key to this scenario. To not have a Human China would really be gifting the game to Japan, while Accelerated Production means that the US has A-bombs in 8 turns, which is gifting the game to the allies.
I have found that as the allies, judicious cash rushing saves the day, while Japan just starts with a load of everything. I would mod the game to no AP, and I guess that the Dutch could be AI controlled, but I would prefer a human player. I'll check with some of the more reliable guys I know and see if there is any interest.

Justus II
25-10-2004, 03:33
quote:Accelerated Production means that the US has A-bombs in 8 turns, which is gifting the game to the allies.

Well, when you put it that way.... [eek]

Didn't realize it was that dramatic a difference. No AP is fine with me. ;)

Dell19
26-10-2004, 14:52
I might be interested in joining as China if its not too late

romeothemonk
27-10-2004, 02:13
Consider yourself Chinese. Looks like we need a Dutch, then we can start.

Dell19
27-10-2004, 13:47
Okay :) Are we definately looking for a dutch player rather than leaving it to the AI?

romeothemonk
27-10-2004, 14:37
Yes I am. I really don't like the way that the AI can be abused by humans in a PBEM. The Allies will need an intelligent Dutch player to help stop the bleeding of the first 3 turns or so. If you know of anyone, please send them this way.

Dell19
27-10-2004, 15:52
I asked Rcoutme who is active on the CFC PBEM forum about joining and he said he would be interested in taking the Dutch. He said he will register at the site later.

Rcoutme
27-10-2004, 21:54
Hi, I would like to represent the queen as her supreme commander in Asia (as the Dutch). I recommend the scenario that LouLong uses in CFC as it has been cleaned of bugs, but if you already have a working scenario, that's good too.

romeothemonk
28-10-2004, 03:39
Are you referring to the Typhoon of Steel?
Otherwise I was thinking that everyone would send me their email addresses, and I would throw out a planning email. I have Arghis's, Justus's and Rcoutme's I believe
I was thinking that we would play the conquest with the minor mod of no AP and the Dutch are controlled by you. You could make the mod, play it and send it on as soon as a strategy is devised.

akots
28-10-2004, 05:51
@Rcoutme: Wellcome to CDZ! Good to see you here! (I'm doing somebody else's job)

Arghis
28-10-2004, 10:35
well, good things that all this. Sounds like we'll soon began this one [smokin]

Socrates
28-10-2004, 12:41
quote:Originally posted by akots

@Rcoutme: Wellcome to CDZ! Good to see you here! (I'm doing somebody else's job)

Yeah, but Rcoutme didn't arrive like a n00b, asking where to post this and ask for that, so I let him go. :)

Welcome in any case !! [goodjob]

Rcoutme
28-10-2004, 13:06
I was referring to the one that we used for Nimitz, ODT, Zero, etc. It is NOT the TOS scenario. However, the scenario that comes with the game gets buggy if you try to modify it yourself to 1. get the Dutch to play as human and 2. try to allow the Japanese to move first.

romeothemonk
28-10-2004, 13:52
Ok, As long as AP is off, could you ask Lou for his scenario?

Rcoutme
28-10-2004, 14:51
Actually, AP is an integral part of the scenario, but I will ask LouLong for a copy of the scenario. Whether or not the AP can be turned off, I don't know. I do know that the random number generator box can not be saved, that is what caused my copy to get destroyed. [cry]

Dell19
30-10-2004, 20:51
Just curious as to what is currently happening? Also are the allies allowed to trade all techs?

Rcoutme
31-10-2004, 01:13
In the file I sent to Romeothemonk, the allies would not be able to trade certain techs that lead to the A-bomb. They would, however, be able to trade many of the other techs.

Dell19
02-11-2004, 17:19
When is the game starting?

Arghis
02-11-2004, 22:48
ahah

it has started ! i've send the first turn.

i propose if everyone agree to post here battle reports from me (and i hope from you). this way i won't have to send to the US what happens to him, etc ... . And as you're in a coalition, sharing infos should be normal So you won't loose time mailing each other for this or that detail.

As that's only me against you, so it shouldn't be a prob.

Also it can be interesting for others to see, discuss, ...

Arghis
02-11-2004, 23:05
[blink]

<center>http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200411223311_tora1.jpg
12.9KB</center>

Sadly, i can say that the Civ3 game mechanics don't exactly lead to this result ...

Arghis
02-11-2004, 23:11
it's from

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/2004112231059_tora2.jpg
4.03KB

:D

Dell19
02-11-2004, 23:56
I would be happy with postig battle results in the open thread since its easier to follow. My email address is Dell19_Ug AT hotmail.com or if full dell19 AT gmail.com for whoever is sending the save to me.

Dell19
02-11-2004, 23:58
Also are we playing the modified scenario and which techs are actually untradable?

Justus II
03-11-2004, 00:21
That's fine with me. Will someone open a new thread in the Open Threads forum?

romeothemonk
03-11-2004, 01:28
I will ask Arghis to do this since he started the game. I have the turn and will play shortly. I will gift some stuff to my homies (allies), provided that they can email me what they need.

Justus II
03-11-2004, 08:45
Sorry, I've recieved the turn, but I've been watching the election coverage all night, and haven't taken my turn. I don't want to rush it, so I will take it tomorrow night. I also have excess resources, so I will try to send them where they are needed. We should also probably share sightings of enemy forces (either by email or in a spoiler thread).

Arghis
03-11-2004, 12:11
ok

let's go to open thread forum !

Dell19
03-11-2004, 13:10
Are we starting an allied thread as well for discussions and where should it be posted?

Rcoutme
05-11-2004, 20:29
Where are all the battle reports???

Justus II
05-11-2004, 22:00
Here's the Open thread for the game, showing battle reports from the first turn.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2125

Dell19 has also started an ALLIED ONLY Strategy thread in his *Spoiler* forum. (No peeking, Arghis!!) This will be the place to post spotted unit locations, etc. I sent mine by email after my first turn, then saw the thread yesterday! :)

romeothemonk
07-11-2004, 15:07
Can someone PM me with the allied thread. I have had massive problems finding it. Thanks. I have the game and will play this afternoon. I was out of town for football this weekend. A point of advice, North Dakota is not worth visiting. They also call it the Badlands of the Dakotas for a reason. 4 hours of driving through the badlands and not a single tree, lake, or creek.