PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Rome/Cunctator - Spoiler

Matrix
23-09-2004, 22:50
I play as Rome, akots as Carthage.
Arghis is Macedon and romeothemonk Persia.

I started capturing Corsica and Sardinia, but was unable to get Sicilia. Then I concentrated more on the north, but now akot has hit me hard. [sad]

Things are looking bad... (Civ-story of my life. [rolleyes]) I am also at war with the Celts and the Goth. They usually switch between having me and Carthage as enemy. But now I'm being attacked from all sides.

http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RoR01.jpg

http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RoR02.jpg

http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RoR03.jpg

Matrix
08-10-2004, 23:51
I got an alliance with the Celts now.

But akots deployed 12 War Elephants, 2 Heavy Cavalry and 2 Numidian Mercenaries next to Rome. [cry]

Why in gods name do I suck so much in Civ3 while I like it so much?

Socrates
09-10-2004, 00:14
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Why in gods name do I suck so much in Civ3 while I like it so much?

Come on, don't cry the same way I do !!! [lol] Last time I had that feeling (for a short moment ;) ) was against Beam, when I discovered his naval invasion, one turn from landing. I swore that I would fight until the bitter end, and Beam resigned 2 turns after that, but for some ambiguous reasons...

Come one and improve ! Come on and discover some new tools ! Come on and enjoy the feeling. From our defeats we learn our future victories. If death is to come, congratulate your (sympathetic) opponent, and for once just watch the Roman Empire be destroyed by the Punic forces (except if they stay in Capua eating cakes). Maybe the Gods will help you in the end, and flames will fall above Carthago.

And you're not to entirely blame : akots is a very strong player, I'm already losing in my no-AI 1v1 against him, though I'm not even in the Middle Ages.

Pastorius
09-10-2004, 07:02
Remember Matrix. When you feel like civ is working against you. It works even more against me. [crazyeyes]

Do what Krys says and have fun. Then find someone who plays terrible, win against him or her, and...well enjoy...

Matrix
09-10-2004, 10:16
My girlfriend said she'd like to play against me for compensation. [lol]

And sure I don't mind to loose once, but I always loose. I mean look at my position in DDPP! Of course I've learned a lot since then, but still... Anyway, I have played single player as Carthage and Rome and really don't understand how he can have so much production! Even with a Golden Age.
But indeed, akots is a great player. (He's in the CFC team in ISDG, you know... [groucho])

Hopefully I can beat up Shabbaman. [evil]

Ginger_Ale
09-10-2004, 12:39
Yeah, all of us in the CFC ISDG are quite good (hint hint: me ;)). Just keep pumping out Legionaries...use your legionary army (where is it on the map?) Good luck to you.

Socrates
09-10-2004, 13:54
I saw in another topic that you lost Rome to the Carthaginians. :( Never surrender ! I don't know what the goal of the scenario is (I still have to play almost all the C3C scenarios [eek] ), but take advantage of fighting at home to counter akots's great offense.

Playing your girlfriend for a compensation ? [groucho] Hehe, she is that nice ? But the thing is that you may not improve, just release the anger inside you (which can still be good). I'd say : do you play solo games ? They can be useful : you play the entire game (not like in SGs), you have no human opponent (making things easier for the outcome, you can choose the level, you can test different strats on your own). That way you can improve your personal skills, ie. : micro-management in general, how to develop with efficiency, how to deal with AIs...

When I started to play PBEMs, I was at a point where Deity SP games were my cup of tea, though I wouldn't win all the time of course. Then I suffered several losses in PBEMs and I understood that I had to learn a different way to handle human opponents (that is a logical and nice idea of course). But I was well prepared to deal with AIs on my own and to develop well without human interaction, making things easier for me. Maybe you count on PBEMs to improve, but I think PBEMs are too complex to do so, because of the human opponents, who drive your concentration away from your goal : improve in general.

Hint : look at akots, he is a strong player in GOTMs. This explains that ?

Matrix
10-10-2004, 22:37
I was never good in the GOTM. And I felt that in order to win the game at Deity you specifically had to take advantage of the AI flaws. That's not 'in the spirit of the game'. And that is also the reason I can't win of humans.

Except for my brother: he also player 'in the spirit' and we know exactly how to interpret that. :) He still wins. But he's also seven years older than I am and with almost the same interest in games that makes him principally always better. (Until we're 70/77 and breaking off. [:p])

Pastorius
10-10-2004, 22:44
Matrix, when Killer has beaten me (or so he thinks [:p] ) we can play a game, no.
Will probably be your first win...and then I ll become the cdz victim. Everyone let's gang up on Paalikles.

Oh, wait. I am going to win against Ginger Ale too, but you can still try to beat me [:p]

Ginger_Ale
10-10-2004, 23:23
beat me? hah!

Socrates
11-10-2004, 01:04
Matrix, I played a few GOTMs (I was even called "a GOTM player" by some when I joined CDZ !!), and scored average and then well. I've never been in the top players because some great players have some well-tested strategies and great skills, and because I haven't trained myself as much as it would be required. But also because I followed the RBCiv rules when playing the GOTMs, which was like shooting oneself in the foot. I didn't care and still submitted my games (before getting tired of it). The RBCiv spirit is to not profit from the AI flaws. Go check their (a little obsolete) rules...

It is always easier to win when you had a good start : why not practicing many starts (without continueing them) ? Try to get better at MM, expansion, workers' tasks... Go read cracker's pages (you know, your GOTM successor ;) ), they're worth a read.

Now we're all waiting for your vengeance over Rome. [fdevil] Defeat Hannibal and his fucking mercenaries !! Go SPQR, you're in the arena and the people wants games and bread !!! [:p]

Matrix
01-11-2004, 14:12
I probably just played my last turn. Here's the final screenshot.

http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RoR06.jpg

Bye-bye! [tongue]

akots
02-11-2004, 19:56
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

... I started capturing Corsica and Sardinia, but was unable to get Sicilia. ...

Just curious as to what has diverted your attention from Sicily? I surely got there all troops I could since Sicily is the key and most troops could be delivered there in 1 turn, but it could have been really possible to get Sicily IMO first, then go for less important Sardinia and Corsica. Just because I won't be able to get troops there in time.

Overall, you had rather many units indeed. They were just somewhat at a wrong place and wrong time probably. And Carthage has built nothing but Elephants during Golden Age with occasional galleys in between and only Forbidden Palace (with prebuild). And going for silks instead of horses was a tough call. Still you had a far away cities without much reinforcements exposed to Goths.

And please ... you played well. The starting position of Rome is rathe vulnerable indeed to "wild" landings of large numbers of War Elephants.

akots
02-11-2004, 20:24
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov
... But also because I followed the RBCiv rules when playing the GOTMs, which was like shooting oneself in the foot. I didn't care and still submitted my games (before getting tired of it). The RBCiv spirit is to not profit from the AI flaws. ...

Don't blame it on RBC rules. I've played 3 or 4 GOTMs with RBC rules and finished rather well (4th-8th place). With no Palace move, no RoP rape, no ship chaining, no AI baiting, all deals honored, etc.

@Matrix: I certainly trust you enough so can give you my password and send a few save files to take a look at Carthagian economy during Golden Age and troop movement if you want to analyze. But beware: My password is all same in all PBEMs I play except TC3. (That is the reason I can "trust" you with it). Just tell me which saves you want.

Socrates
03-11-2004, 01:02
quote:Originally posted by akots

Don't blame it on RBC rules. I've played 3 or 4 GOTMs with RBC rules and finished rather well (4th-8th place). With no Palace move, no RoP rape, no ship chaining, no AI baiting, all deals honored, etc.

Yeah yeah, but you're a stronger player than me. And I could also say that I'd perform better if I didn't follow the RBCiv rules... [crazyeye] Does that make sense ? But I don't follow them to make such remarks, I do because I feel that's the way we should play Civ (or the way Civ should be implemented).

@ Matrix : Too bad ! Hope you get your revenge with SPQR someday. Carthago delenda est ! [goodjob]

Matrix
03-11-2004, 13:16
quote:Originally posted by akots

Just curious as to what has diverted your attention from Sicily? I surely got there all troops I could since Sicily is the key and most troops could be delivered there in 1 turn, but it could have been really possible to get Sicily IMO first, then go for less important Sardinia and Corsica. Just because I won't be able to get troops there in time.
That was actually plain underestimation of your power. I thought I could get Sicily some time later.

And I thought Corsica and sardinia were important, because you'd be able to land war elephants anywhere from there. When I had those two islands I was able to see everything near my main peninsula.

@akots: I should have the admin password, so I shouldn't need your password. ;) (I just hope I can recall it.)