PDA

View Full Version : akots against anarres ** SPOILER **

akots
13-09-2004, 01:32
This is my first attempt to write up a spoiler, so don't judge me too severely. I'm learning. please post what you find redundant and what needs additional discussion.

The open thread for this game is here: (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1729)

I'm playing as Japan and Anarres took the role of Haiwatha because it is small Pangea map (4AI - Greece, Rome, Babylon, and Carthage), Deity difficulty, and maximal aggression. Skyfish has been the mapmaker and was specifically asked to "leave us some room to expand" so that we are not badly cornered by the AI and also "place some food bonus nearby" as well as "some resources". This ended up in a very resource and luxury-rich map more PTW-vanilla style where everyone has everything.

I have set up a 4-turn settler factory in Kyoto and then started making settlers. Expansion went rather smoothly thanks to 2 luxuries and rather good terrain. But Japan sucks in starting techs. Even if there is The Wheel, it does not help that much. On Deity, you cannot trade it even for Alphabet. Hence, the plan was to hold on, get to Monarchy somehow, survive to Samurai and then try "kill them all" strategy. Samurai are good defenders and can be used with arty even against human players in decent numbers.

It is Pangea-Small size Deity, so the tech pace has been somewhat insane and AIs were expanding like crazy. I was quietly growing in my little corner meanwhile.

Another thing I wanted to try in this game was playing always war against a human opponent, which is Anarres. So, when his warrior showed up around turn 30 or 40, I just killed him.

The layot can be seen from the minimap. I'm in the south-western corner, Anarres is in the south-eastern apparently. Looks like we both have horses and iron and a few luxuries and expanding at about the same rate. He is expanding slightly faster because of agricultural trait and also, I'm have a tight city placement in the core.

Greece is in between us. Greece has been extremely powerful early on even for a Deity AI. Rome is to the north of me, where the hell are babylon and Carthage, I have no idea. I just got a contact with Babylon but still lacking contact with Carthage. Playing AW with human opponent has also some disadvantages because my scouting warrior was slaughtered by Anarres as well.

Here is the current layout (turn 77):

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200491313127_vsanarres-t76-land.JPG
101.11KB

akots
13-09-2004, 01:47
I must admit, I'm in deep tech hole with very little chance getting out of it whereas Anarres is doing OK probably due to Literature. He is also building the Great Library. I instead, chose a path to Monarchy but was beaten to Poly by Greece by a couple of turns. Still, I was able to trade a few techs with Rome.

During the game play, me and Anarres thought of making peace a few times. I have sent him an offer so that I trade him Ceremonial Burial for peace and that we don't make alliances against each other with Greece for some turns. Well, the offer was unanswered for 7 or 8 turns, then after being reminded about it, he asked for 5-turn extension of no-alliances, and after these 5 turns ended, still no reply to the offer. I have decided I had enough. Well, it would not hurt to say "no, I don't want you deal". So, I allied with Greece against him. I then received an e-mail saying that this was a bit "cheeky" and that "he was holding the alliance against me waiting for my reply". Well, reply to what? To my own offer which became obsolete after 12-13 turns? Yep, diplo in human-vs-human games sucks, I'm going to try AW against a human player again...

By that time he already has caught up essentially with techs via Literature apparently but was still in Despotism. I was hoping that he builds some Mounted Warriors if Greece will push hard and wastes his Golden Age in Despotism. Apparently, it did not work well. Either Greece was less lucky (and stupid as an AI) or something else happened, but anyhow, war ended this turn and power of Greece somewhat decreased. In any case, I renewed the alliance with Greece against Iro hoping that they can do better this time and at least try to cripple Haiawatha's ambition.

I'm also trying desperately to get the missing contact with Carthage but the way there lies apparently through Iro's holdings:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200491314659_vsanarres-t76-warrior.JPG
65.16šKB

akots
13-09-2004, 01:56
Greece is Republic and Anarres, Rome, and Babylon are in Anarchy, whereas I'm about 20 turns away from Monarchy (self-researched) and lack almost all important Ancient Age techs. The game is in the grave position but my military is more or less OK, stronger than Haiawatha's at least. I have a bunch of warrior, iron and horses are online, and some horsemen would be built in a few turns. There is a great shortage of workers but most of the cities are somehow connected by roads. I can sertainly stand against the AI be it either Rome or Greece for quite awhile.

Actually, the situation is not that bad considering the score:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20049131540_vsanarres-t76-score.JPG
17.25šKB

As well as surprizingly good Demographics though most of the rivals are in Anarchy.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20049131555_vsanarres-t76-demographics.JPG
21.2šKB

The problem is how to survive and expand further and get samurai before AI and Anarres can advance to Cavalries. Might be a not so easy task, especially if he decides to go after me with large stack of Mounted Warriors.

Beam
13-09-2004, 17:14
Very big [goodjob] for the spoiler akots, if just everybody made'm like this (or make'm at all).

Plux
14-09-2004, 07:39
Good spoiler :) Any sopecial reason why you took the Japs?

akots
14-09-2004, 17:07
quote:Originally posted by Plux
Any sopecial reason why you took the Japs?

I never played them, so wanted to try. They suck against Iro IMO. :)

akots
04-10-2004, 03:48
Just a quick update. Anarres has been at war with Greece and Greece bought in Rome as well. Apparently war went rather well for him, so he made peace with Greece and Rome and bought Rome against me. There were 3 legions with 2 settlers moving through my territory at that moment. The legions razed an undefended just-founded city and went rampaging through the Japanese countryside. Also, all Roman troops which went for Anarres turned to attack Japanese cities. Can tell that Rome on Deity is a very unpleasant neighbor, probably next after Persia. Also, I have only horses, spears and swords to defend against them. Each legion comes with 4 archers underneath it. So, I'm really screwed and even though managed to kill a few bad guys losing a bunch of horsemen, the situation looks grave and I may start losing cities to them unless we agree to some form of peace.

Here is the picture of the battleground on turn 96. There are two Roman legion-3archer stacks: one on the hill near Edo ready to attack (the city does nt have walls, I rushed a spear there instead) and another is in the Greek territory (Rome has RoP with them) ready to strike at Tokyo next turn.

Also, I'm still half an age behind in techs and researching Monarchy.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200410434727_akvsann-096-1.JPG
156.24šKB

akots
27-10-2004, 05:29
Another quick update. It is turn 114 now. I have somehow made peace with Romans after they showed up with 4MDI, 3 legions, and about 4 archers at suburbs of 2 cities which had total 1 Japanese unit in them for some gpt payment. Monarchy has been finally discovered and this was followed by immediate revolution. So, Currency was purchased and an attmept is being made to rescue the game by building catapults. Otherwise, there is no means to fight superior units with horsemen.

Meanwhile, Anarres has chosen a very peculiar tactics. He is playing Always War Deity. Already for a few turns, 4 or 5 IIRC. Apparently, he has built up considerable force of mounted warriors and is trying to use them to gain some land and techs against the AI. He is actually doing surprizingly well according to the power graph.

Hail to Anarres, Chief of the CDZ! Just look at this picutre, he is gorgeous in the Haiawatha's disguise!

So, my only hope is that he has somewhat overestimated himself and that he might lose a few cities or get nasty war weariness.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200410275306_vsAnarres-t114-AWD.JPG
87.86KB