PDA

View Full Version : You guys ever play online?

Hygro
31-08-2004, 02:37
I've had two attempts at PBEM that both resulted in failure. However I've played online a fair number of times (after avoiding it for over a year) and was wondering if you guys ever played online. It would be totally awesome to get a realtime game going with the communitiy here.

Kingreno
31-08-2004, 07:38
To answer bluntly: no.

We have played (some of us) at the last CDZ meeting but IMHO a game of Civ is not well suited for this type of play. First, games tend to get very very lengthy meaning not hours but days are required for a multihuman session.
Second, as the level of PBEMs here is quite high, it is very hard to do things like micromanaging on a RTS type of play. There is simply no time in simultaneous moves (turnbased doubles overall playingtime...) to go through all cities.
The only feature that would make it a bit more playable would be a governor that was more editable, meaning I can tell on which tile exactly it should put the next worker upon citygrowth, thus no longer wasting a 4 turnsetler factory.

digger760
31-08-2004, 09:53
I have tried Online a couple of times and find it to rushed and very different style of play to PBEM. I prefer a more relaxed carefully planned afair.

Markstar
31-08-2004, 10:44
Even tough I prefer playing PBEM (more time to think about one's strategy), I hope I find at least some ppl to start online ladder games with after I'm done with my job (end of october).

PBEMs are great, but I'm just too addicted so I constantly think about them (only 2 atm but still...). I hope this will get better with online-gaming (and hopefully also a little more intense).

digger760
31-08-2004, 12:19
[quotePBEMs are great, but I'm just too addicted so I constantly think about them[/quote]

I used to have that problem...My wife would ask me what i was thinking about...if i told her it was Civ...she would ban me from the PC(she claims i spend to much time on it already...bah! not half as eveybody else here does!!)...so i'd have to make something up.

I played my first ladder game online vs PV..but ladder we swtiched to PBEM..but as i understand these days with C3C you can switch back to PBEM from online..never actually tried it though.

Matrix
31-08-2004, 13:36
quote:Originally posted by digger760

My wife would ask me what i was thinking about...
Don't you hate that question too? ;)

But on topic, I have played with Col.Tarleton a lot, though we only finished one game. Now we're playing together with another Brit, who is not registered at CFC or CDZ. That game has a lot of fun!

I'm also planning to play with two brothers of mine. But one of them is moving as we speak, so first we'll have to wait till he has internet, and time. [rolleyes]

And I have thought about having an eight player game (simultaneous) at CFC or CDZ, but haven't figured out what to do with people not able to come... It would have to be played at sunday evening only. Then practically everyone is ay home.

Shabbaman
31-08-2004, 13:56
But on sunday evening I'm watching studio sport! ;)

quote:Originally posted by digger760
I used to have that problem...My wife would ask me what i was thinking about...if i told her it was Civ...she would ban me from the PC(she claims i spend to much time on it already...bah! not half as eveybody else here does!!)...so i'd have to make something up

Hehehe...

I have the same thing with magic (a card game), which seems to be a program running in the background (of my mind) all the time. Hurray for multitasking! Luckily my GF doesn't consider it harmful.
What I especially like about civ is that you can play in your own tempo, unlike FPS or RTS where you have to react real time to your opponent. With multiplayer, you can still take your time, but social pressure would keep me playing on. With pbem, you've got more time. This gives you also the opportunity to carefully think about your moves. Through pbems, I've become a better player.

Matrix
31-08-2004, 15:23
I don't really feel the pressure of having to hurry up when playing online. It simply depends on the size of your civ. Being big gives you the advantage of not having to wait for others. [tongue] (Apart from the fact that you're winning too.)

LLXerxes
23-12-2004, 17:44
PBEM: 1 (failed)
MP: (too many to count) (failed)

i'll just play by meself or hotseat

Matrix
23-12-2004, 19:43
Just make sure you and your opponent(s) are aware of the commitment, LLXerxes. ;) Especially when you have more than one opponents.

Col.Tarleton
27-12-2004, 13:20
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Just make sure you and your opponent(s) are aware of the commitment, LLXerxes. ;) Especially when you have more than one opponents.

Happy Xmas,chaps.[sunn]
IP has one or two drawbacks.
1. The participants need the correct systems,i.e.broadband,which most people are aquiring,a headset and a good communications system.
You'll remember Steaton,Matrix,he has found a system called teamspeak.I've downloaded it but not tested it as yet,he's buggered off to the frozen north for the holidays.He assures me that in tests with other friends it is as good as talking on the telephone and can accomidate any number of people.This was one of the major problems when we tried to play,if you remember.
2.The time taken for the turns to be played is a problem as some players are quicker than others and as I was slow I felt that I was holding the game up and causing the others some frustration.However both Matrix and Steaton were very patient but I still felt like a merchant banker.
3.It is important that when a time and date has been agreed that the participants stick to the schedule.This is not easy as time has to be set aside and real life tends to interfere causing mucho agro.
When all of these conditions have been met it is a great game.
The importance of a system like "teamtalk" is that everyone can talk to each other without mickey mouse typing.
For 2 player games MSN is quite adequate.

Plux
27-12-2004, 15:01
I know teamspeak, works like a charm. Just be sure that ,if bandwidth allows for it, u use one the higher quality codecs available. It uses voice activation so only communicates when you speak, and you can use some shortkeys whenever you want to have private conversations.

Lt. Killer M
27-12-2004, 15:08
LLXerxes: I'd challenge you to a PBEM if I kne woyu were reliable - no offence, I jsut had about 1/3 of noob PBEMs die. So play a few and I am game ;)

LLXerxes
28-12-2004, 03:43
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

LLXerxes: I'd challenge you to a PBEM if I kne woyu were reliable - no offence, I jsut had about 1/3 of noob PBEMs die. So play a few and I am game ;)

i'm not reliable. i dunno wot folder to extract teh downloaded save to.
plus my C3C isn't working

Pastorius
28-12-2004, 08:53

Wait a second [hmm]

Colonel Mustard did it, in the kitchen with the hammer.

oh...wrong game

PS: LLxerxes, change your sig to be less of an invitation to spiders to remember your emails and their owners to sending you spam and other nasty stuff

Lt. Killer M
28-12-2004, 10:56
quote:Originally posted by LLXerxes

i'm not reliable. i dunno wot folder to extract teh downloaded save to.
plus my C3C isn't working

well, then let us start a game, hu? Once your C3C is working.