PDA

View Full Version : How to transform a picture to a Civ3 map

Matrix
28-08-2004, 21:39
Beam asked me how to, and Melifluous once asked me as well, so I'll just post it here, for anyone who wants to be as crazy as me. [tongue]

[u]Requirement</u>: You'll need Paint Shop Pro 7. Other versions might work as well, but I don't know if these palette's are compatible.

[u]Step 1</u>
Download this palette and place it in the 'palette' directory.
Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif Civ3pal.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2004828202258_Civ3pal.zip)
691*Bytes

[u]Step 2</u>
Launch PSP7 and load the image you want to convert into a Civ3 map.

[u]Step 3</u>
Select the colour RGB=(0,74,87). That's the colour of ocean in a map. Paint the background, or anything you do not want in the map in this colour.

You might want to resize the image 400%, paint, and then resize back (25%) so that you don't have to paint very precisely. Depends on how big the image already is too.

[u]Step 4</u>
Resize hortizontal 100% and vertical 200%.

[u]Step 5</u>
Rotate the image 45° left.

[u]Step 6</u>
Resize the map to:
60x60 for a tiny sized map,
80x80 for a small sized map,
100x100 for a standard sized map,
130x130 for a large sized map,
160x160 for a huge sized map (recommended).

[u]Step 7</u>
Load the downloaded palette (Civ3.pal). That is: Options, Load Palette. Or: Shift-O.

[u]Step 8</u>
Resize horizontal & vertical 1200%.

[u]Step 9</u>
Rotate 45° right.

[u]Step 10</u>
Resize horizontal 100% & vertical 50%.

[u]Step 11</u>
Launch the Civ3 editor. Start with a map with only ocean and the same size you've chosen in step 6.

[u]Step 12</u>
Copy the map in the image you just created. [tongue] This looks like drudgery, but it goes faster than you think. Copy the map section by section; do not start with mountains, draw those, then hills, etc. You're bound to make a mistake and it's very annoying to have to redraw/replace an entire section one tile south (or the like).

Good luck! [cool]