PDA

View Full Version : I think i'm done with SP Epics

digger760
25-08-2004, 11:01
I think i have had enough of Single Player Epics....

Last night i completed a single Player Epics game. It took me 14 months to play...a total of just over 23 playing hours.

I had this game wrapped up at about the half way mark..but the second half of the game was spent cleaning up to get domination win...i find this part of Civ to be a chore and not sure if i want to play another SP Epic type game...(but that kind of like saying i'll never drink again when i have a hang over)

I played this mostly in PTW but finished the last 10-15 turns in C3C. What i found extra annoying...the replay did not work and my score did not go into the hall of fame[saiyan]. Maybe thats because it is a PTW game played in C3C.

I have an SP to complete in C3C....i think i have it wrapped up as well..it was started in C3C 1.15 so it must be about 6 months old..i hope replay works in that game.

digger760

Shabbaman
25-08-2004, 11:17
I know the feeling. I've quit playing SP games two times already, but I keep coming back for them. I have a game that's been over since I got in the industrial age with a tech lead (I mention that game in the "bug" thread), and I have the intention not to finish this game with a diplo win (as I usual do with games that drag that long). Turns in the modern age take about forever, and with 13 armies I'm pretty sure I'll win anyway. However, boredom struck and I started a game on a tiny map. Persians, emperor (I've beaten emperor only 6 times so far). I got behind in tech (duh). When I got four cities I bought iron working. As a stroke of luck I had built my second city on iron. So I build some immortals, America attacks, golden age. A lot of immortals, America conquered. It's 290 b.c., I'm completing statue of zeus and I'm halfway through the Incan empire as well. And I've secured 6 luxuries.
All this took me 4 hours. It's a good antidote for me.

What was even better, and the reason I started playing sp again in the first place: I finished all conquests.

Shabbaman
25-08-2004, 11:21
Oh, and I got a leader in the previous turn as well. Immortal armies are some good ;)
But seriously, have you tried the conquests? They're all broken (regicide, bah), but they've got a true "recreate history" feel. Rise of Rome is the best, in that aspect.

digger760
25-08-2004, 11:33
Sadly i have only attempted 2 Conquest Sceanarios...Mesopotamia and WW2...I think they avoid the end game slug festthat i find so mundane...but i am also like building my own civ and find it hard to jump into a game where the cities are already built.

Like you say, you have said you would quite before and keep going back...i think its just a SP hangover and it will pass...Tiny maps are good for shorter games and generally this is much less to destroy at the end.

Beam
25-08-2004, 11:39
Try one of the KoD games. There are fun to play and generally don't take very long. Also nice to compare your result with others.

I've completed only one Epic game in the past year, a Demi milker on a large map. Just to see what kind of score I could get out. Wasn't really tempted to play another one after that.

Shabbaman
25-08-2004, 15:54
I finished in 4 hours, 38 minutes in 420 a.d., I can't complain about dragging (this time). And I checked for you whether the replay works, and it did. I had to wait a while, and press "forward one turn" (although that might've been coincidence, I recall that it worked in vanilla civ that way as well...).
I understand your complaint about the conquests. But for the most part the scenario's let you build cities. At least try rise of rome, or fall of rome. Those scenario's have a lot of open space left.
The ww2 scenario takes too much time, it's really boring. Napoleon didn't thrill me either btw.

Matrix
25-08-2004, 16:56
I still can't get enough of them. [:p] They can be a bit boring at certain points, but that's usually very short, and then there's something else to do. ;) Also, since I've learned to always have a goal, at every point of the game, it's much more fun too.

And then there's a challenge of defeating my brother. His record is 7725 points, mine is 6741. [rolleyes]

Pastorius
25-08-2004, 22:52
dont underestimate brotherly rivalry (or whatever it is called in English)
I cant get mine to play civ, but he packs a mean punch in redalert and counterstrike....I am not all into such games, but I must beat him...[evil]

Hygro
31-08-2004, 03:01
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I still can't get enough of them. [:p] They can be a bit boring at certain points, but that's usually very short, and then there's something else to do. ;) Also, since I've learned to always have a goal, at every point of the game, it's much more fun too.

And then there's a challenge of defeating my brother. His record is 7725 points, mine is 6741. [rolleyes]
Whoa, who is your brother?

Sir Eric
05-09-2004, 10:42
quote:Originally posted by digger760

Last night i completed a single Player Epics game. It took me 14 months to play...a total of just over 23 playing hours.

Our current PBEM has been going for almost exactly one year so far....Happy anniversary[party]

Justus II
22-09-2004, 21:40
quote:Originally posted by digger760

I think i have had enough of Single Player Epics....

Great, now I really feel obsessive. [???] I knew I was a slow player, but I don't think I've ever had a game in that few hours. When I played GOTM, I think my FASTEST domination win was 24+ hours, most in the 40-hour range. I've had one take over 70 playing hours. And no, I don't leave Civ running in the background, that's all actual playing time.

quote:Originally posted by shabbaman

I finished in 4 hours, 38 minutes in 420 a.d., I can't complain about dragging (this time).

I'm always amazed by the fast games, I really am. 4 hours is usually enough time for me to get my 10 turns done in an SG! [eek] I've obviously got to learn to play faster. No wonder I've never tried to play online. At least, with PBEM, I can do a turn in under 1/2 an hour, and send it off. [cool]

Socrates
22-09-2004, 22:41
quote:Originally posted by Justus II

At least, with PBEM, I can do a turn in under 1/2 an hour, and send it off. [cool]

:D:D:D:D:D
The guy at the other end of the line : [rant][rant][wallbash]

anarres
22-09-2004, 23:13
I am quite a slow player anyway, but in one of my PBEM's turns can take up to 2 hours (Industrial Age). I've not finished a SP game in probably over a year now, they just don't do it for me anymore...

Darkness
27-10-2004, 09:36
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

What difficulty level was that, Matrix?

digger760
27-10-2004, 09:54
Announcement: I have started another SP Epic..infact i had a few restarts
I am trying a tiny archiplegao with 60% water...first time at demi-god

First few maps had me in lots of tundra so re-started until i was at the equator..then i had no water...and made a mistake by attacking the french to early..sure i one a city and techs of them but then the Sumerians attacked me and i lost i second biggest city.

I have restarted again. This time i have had trouble with barbs. What is the best way to deal with barbs. So far I have had the best results by placing warriors to the SW or NE of the barb camp and let the first barb attack me. Once promoted to vet or elite i feel confident enough to attack a barb camp. But now horseman are appearing in the camps and they quite often kill vet and elite warriors. Is it time to get archers/spear combo to hadnle camps or is that a waste of resources in the early game?

The AI is outpacing me..but i have learnt to ignore that on Emperor level as there stupididty with tactics lets them down eventually.