PDA

View Full Version : Culture flips in Human-Human PBEMs

Kemal
23-08-2004, 11:47
With plenty of all human PBEMs going on at the moment, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the handling of flips by the game when playing PBEMs.

I haven't experienced losing or taking a city to or from a human via a flip in PBEM yet, but I'm very curious if it happens, and when it does how the game would handle such an occurence.
Since you can lose a city to a flip during your own "upkeep" phase (i.e. when production is added to your production queues etc), that would mean that the civ taking over such a city would actually obtain an additional city outside his or her own turn, while obtaining a city does involve decisions that need to be made by the obtaining civ (rebuff the rebels or not). It seems that this decision can never be made by the obtaining civ simply due to the fact that he is not the active player when the flip happens.

So I was wondering, does that mean the AI will handle this decision for this player (as is the case with the UN vote I believe), and does that mean your civ will always automatically accept these flips (unless in very rare circumstances), just like the AI does?

Or are the culture flips in PBEM between two human opponents simply turned off automatically during PBEM games? (I've personally never seen one happening, plenty of AI flips though)

Matrix
23-08-2004, 12:11
For a moment I was very hopeful, but then I realized that in DDPP Nagoya (Nagoje) has flipped back to Plux. I took it back the next turn anyway, but there you go, it happens.

I can't tell you whether it's the AI choosing to take it or not, now have I ever seen the UN in action in multiplayer games, either online or PBEM. But that can easily be tested I suppose.

Plux
23-08-2004, 12:30
Yup, I got Nagoya back for a very short while. I can't really recall how it happened, but since I am the last player in the ddpp queue, I guess the calculation takes place either in the interturn between last and first player (so it waited for all you guys to play, before I could accept), or the calculations are made between each player (so when I get to play it calculates all flipping chances). So I don't know how, but it happens (in PTW) :)

anarres
23-08-2004, 12:48
Can you reload the turn Plux, to see if you got a message?

Plux
23-08-2004, 13:03
I will have a look if I still have it when I get home tonight

digger760
23-08-2004, 13:14
A Human city flipped to me in a PBEM but i can't remember how it happened not sure if i still have the sav either.

Matrix
23-08-2004, 18:09
I got the "terrible news" message. I believe flips only occur at the turn of the player who loses a city (just like it's calculating production and commerce, it's also calculating the chance of a flip), so I don't think Plux will have seen a message.

Plux
23-08-2004, 21:16
Just checked. I didn't get any message in the turn that Nagoya flipped back to me (where it belonged [rolleyes])

Kemal
23-08-2004, 21:38
Ok, thanks for the input guys, that pretty much clears things up then, I guess. :)

akots
24-08-2004, 02:32
I have a couple of flips to me from another player in C3C 1.22, not to or from AI. It happened on the end of that player's turn who got the message. And I was unable to rebuff the rebels, so the city is accepted automatically and I did not get any messages.