PDA

View Full Version : GOTM 18

col
09-04-2003, 14:58
Well - in the tradition of challenges between upright members of the old country and uppity ex convicts down under and following the glorious success of our lowest scoring challange, Phil and I have undertaken to both aim at culture successes for GOTM 18.

A 20k win is out of the question so its 100k or nothing. This is not going to be an easy one. Its effectively a huge map with a lot of civs. Some are already shooting ahead in culture (Japan) and to get to 100k before they reach 50k looks well nigh impossible.

I'm going going an ICS route and building cities like mad with a teple in each. i'm lagging in tech considerably but conveniently the iroquois have built the Great Library within reach. I'd like to just build libraries everywhere, let the Ai civs get way beyond education. then take the GLib.

That way - I get a golden age
I should get a lot of techs beyond education - iirc the Glib expires on the turn you get education - and can give you lots of techs like demo. Then I can turn tech back on again. Buld my army and go warmongering!

Anyone know if I'm correct in this assumption?

Lt. Killer M
09-04-2003, 15:24
audacious.....

but: audaces fortuna juvat!

col
09-04-2003, 15:41
The main danger at prsent is that the rate of the Ai tech developemnt is way too fast. I'd love to slow it down. I dont want the Un built or a spaceship race.

Strange game - its nominally on monarch but playing like Emperor plus - or maybe it s just the way I'm playing!

Melifluous
09-04-2003, 15:42
Also I believe you are correct,

I'm sure I have seen people get Democracy from the GL, sure I read posts from people at CFC in Deity games...

Check this out

http://www.kalikokottage.com/civ3/sullla/Epick3i.html

Melifluous

col
09-04-2003, 15:44
Ok - that's the plan then - hold off taking the GLib for as long as possible.

Looks like its the Romans that will be feeling my celtic axes next then ....

digger760
09-04-2003, 16:20
slightly going off the topic, but do you need to have a trading route to get techs from the great library. In an recent Emp game im playing i hav'nt got anything from it, the only people i have met are the russians and we are at war. I know those AI are way ahead in tech so why hav'nt i got a cracker from the GL. I have had it for probaly 30-50 turns and so far nothing.

Melifluous
09-04-2003, 16:24
You must know at least 2 other civs to get anything from it.
It says you get a tech that at least two other civs have, it doesnt say this only applies to civs you know...

Our 1v1 game looks better all the time...

Melifluous

anarres
09-04-2003, 18:16
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

You must know at least 2 other civs to get anything from it.
It says you get a tech that at least two other civs have, it doesnt say this only applies to civs you know...It may not say that, but it is true. :)

You only get a tech if 2 civs you know have it.

Melifluous
09-04-2003, 22:09
[stoned] troll!

[:o]

Melifluous

col
09-04-2003, 23:12
Been looking for some new smilies Meli. Well the tactic worked nicely. I abandoned all research, piled my knights next to the Glib city. As luck would have it, it finished Leo too. When I took it I got 10 techs!!. Nice move. I'm now in the lead and starting to flip cities. A mass upgrade of knights to cav will happen next and then another civ goes. Manged to get the rest of the world embroiled in war - although Egypt is shooting ahead in tech.