PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Rome scenario PBEM "Cunctator"

akots
16-08-2004, 16:30
This is open thread for PBEM played based on Rise of Rome scenario in C3C 1.22.

Players:
Rome - Matrix
Macedon - Arghis
Persia - Romeothemonk
Carthage - akots

Egypt, Celts, Scyth, and Goth - AI

Scenario was slightly modified turning accelerated production "off", preserve random seed "on", and setting all difficulties to Emperor level. The game has started and we expect it to be moving really rapidly with only 4 players we can go 1-2 turns per day.

For the sake of my and Romeo's sanity (we are playing at least one other RoR PBEM each), I would suggest we call this one "Cunctator". The Cunctator has been a nick name of Fabius Maximus during the First Punic War. It means "Delayer" in Latin. For brief details you can go here (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Fabius%20Maximus)

Arghis
16-08-2004, 16:41
:D

this already seems very interesting. i can't wait for the following turns !!

akots
16-08-2004, 16:51
I have sent turn 1 to Matrix but he cannot play till Wednesday. [sad]

romeothemonk
16-08-2004, 21:05
Subscribing.

Matrix
17-08-2004, 18:15
Indeed, akots. Sorry. [blush2]
Thanks for starting this thread! :D

I could add this game to the turn tracker (http://www.straland.com/turntracker). Then you can bookmark that page after I edited it. With a bit of luck anarres will place a link to it at the top this forum soon. :) (Between the other links.)

Matrix
19-08-2004, 00:20
Added to the turn tracker. :)
http://www.straland.com/turntracker/cunctator.php

A lot easier than having to post in this thread every time, don't you think? ;)

romeothemonk
19-08-2004, 15:15
A brave and victorious reg Persian horse completely owned a Macedonain Vet horseman. The Macedonain is pushing up daisies, Like his general and entire empire will be doing shortly. The Persain Horse wans't scathed and received a promotion for his valor. I think I will name him Bob. Not much else to report as the evil greeks continue to stream into imperial Persian lands. They will be forcibly ejected soon enough.

Arghis
19-08-2004, 15:42
@matrix : good point that you included this game in your tracker

after reading Romeo post, do we have to report here what we're doing, or is it just for fun ? [dunno]

akots
19-08-2004, 19:48
IMHO, we can send a battle report my e-mail or post it here, whatever desired. And this thread can be used to harass and publically humiliate your opponent. There are certain feelings, you know, that have to be let out sometimes, especially in a locked war game with no diplo between the combatants. :)

Arghis
19-08-2004, 20:02
for the fun aspect, i agree, yes, but for instance, considering that the order is :

Rome - Matrix
Macedon - Arghis
Persia - Romeothemonk
Carthage - akots

If Rome(Matrix) attack me [mgun] , after my retaliation [rocket], how do i expose the battle result; because it will be in the mail i send to Persia(Romeo) ...

I think that every battle result should be posted here, for the sake of simplicity, and for the amusement of the spectator [devil]

Matrix
19-08-2004, 21:19
Sure. But not oblidged. If you want your battle to be unknown for the others, you may also send a separate e-mail.

I'd rather send to you personally than revealing my losses. [sad]

akots
19-08-2004, 22:05
Oh, yes, it can be embarrassing sometimes. Not all players have a spirit strong enough to post their losses in an open thread. IMO, in this game there can be turns when one side loses 20-30 units. And this is indeed embarrassing.

In your example, it might be possible to send GPS to Matrix and then also a battle log in the same e-mail. :)

Matrix
19-08-2004, 22:29
It's not about that it's embarassing; others could not know certain things. If I lost so many units Arhis e.g. might think "Hm, he's next to me and a sitting duck. Let's grab those cities!" or something to that extend.

Arghis
19-08-2004, 23:13
i agree, there is time where revealing battle result can influence other player. so ok, i'll proceed by mail in some case, and here+mail in other case.

akots
19-08-2004, 23:31
quote:Originally posted by Matrix It's not about that it's embarassing; others could not know certain things. If I lost so many units Arhis e.g. might think "Hm, he's next to me and a sitting duck. Let's grab those cities!" or something to that extend.

In this case of your example, I'm 100% sure, Arghis would be informed about such possibility. But let's hope Macedon should be busy enough with Persia. :)

Matrix
20-08-2004, 10:53
[lol] Good point. ;)

Arghis
20-08-2004, 16:57
To the attention of all rulers !

The raging war between Macedonia and Persia is only at it's beginning.
We've been obliged to destroy a road allowing acces to some wines exploitation for the persian. [party] [nono]
Also, our army have send to the Abyss one archer, one horseman, and one spearman forces.
As a last point, we've found the persian army. The high priest of Ares talk about good omens.

romeothemonk
20-08-2004, 22:22
A royal decree from the Citadel of the Great king of the World. And the replies by his general romeothemonk.
The Greek Navy is to be exerminated.
"Check, two galleys are preserved on the bottom of the Mediterranean, to be found thousands of years later."
At minimal costs.
"1 galley of ours was lost, but it was full of regular slaves anyway. The lead galley was promoted for unflinching valor."
Iconium is to be reinforced.
"An unknown number of units reinforced the city"
The Greeks are to be slaughtered.
" Two greek horseman died on the field of battle this day. 1 of our regular archers also perished, but the veteran horseman was beheaded, and is mounted on a pike outside of the citadel."
A great age of Prosperity shall occur.
"It has occured, as the mighty Persian army rolled on to a great victory. Our people have doubled their productivity."
A Tuant shall be issued.
"Neener, Neener, pathetic greeks."

Arghis
21-08-2004, 12:09
Greece is living a grace period that humanity will remember as "Golden Age".

The battle around Iconium is turning to a bloodshed. 2 persian archers have been destroyed.
At sea, the surviving persian galley have been sunk.

--------------------------

That's the first time i really play this scenario (i had began a game once, as the roman, to see what it was, but don't go far).

i'm surprised that my horseman doesn't flee battle. i know it's not automatic; but you seem to kill them easily. Well, war always has a part of randomness ...

romeothemonk
21-08-2004, 16:36
All was quiet in Persia this year. Some infra was worked on while the next big thing was being plotted by the best minds that could be mustered on a Saturday morning after a hard partying Friday night.

Arghis
21-08-2004, 17:11
So do i ... [kiss] ... :D

quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk

... was being plotted by the best minds that could be mustered on a Saturday morning after a hard partying Friday night.

Arghis
22-08-2004, 11:55
The time has come to remember to the persian the words of Hammourabi as this man who spread Lex Talionis shall now see his people suffer from his own law.

The crying souls of poor innoncents macedonian settlers, violently put to death at sea recently, has been calmed by the sack of Irconium. The remaining defenses forces, 2 horsemen and 1 archer, have been no match for the great Alexander and his army.
Irconium was a pleasant town, offering wines and iron to his people. This is no more.

Kill my people, and i raze to the ground your towns !

Life for life. Know this and meditate at it, you followers of Baal. [devil2]

romeothemonk
22-08-2004, 14:38
The RNG is not kind to me. Darius, in a surprise counterattack, attacks a lower HP alexanders army and loses. With that development, a strategic retreat is called, and new defensive positions are taken up. In more positive news, there are now very few regular persian troops left. They are all now veterans.

I thought we were not razing cities? Sinking settlers is not even close to razing a city I had whipped 3 times just for you.

Matrix
22-08-2004, 14:51

I thought we were not razing cities?
I thought so too. But that was just to not give me an advantage, so I'm not complaining. :D And I'm not a pro anyway. ;)

Arghis
22-08-2004, 14:52
We're not allowed to raze cities ? Really, i'm sorry, i was not aware of this. I had understand that we were not allowed to abandon cities, which is different obviously.
I know that there is a difference between a dead settler and a dead city (but you just had 1 pop here if i'm not wrong ...). But remember that i'll have to cop with the bad reputation with IA for instance. Also, it was a risky move, because i have no serious idea about your strength. It cost me too.

What do you mean by RNG. I do not want to offense you; it's just a game !

Arghis
22-08-2004, 14:55
"a city I had whipped 3 times just for you."

i'm not sure to understand ... ??

romeothemonk
22-08-2004, 16:09
RNG= random number generator. It is used to determine the outcome of battles. It is very common at CFC to cry foul on the RNG when you lose a battle that statistically you should have won. Of course, if/when the RNG is generous no one says anything.
I had whipped the citizens in Iconium several times just so that if/when you really did take the city, the citizens would never be friendly.
Judging by the number of Hoplites I am seeing, those galleys didn't just have a settler. But that is just conjecture at this moment.

akots
22-08-2004, 18:19
IMvHO, abandoning cities should be avoided but razing is OK. Well, we can always agree to something else. :)

Matrix
22-08-2004, 22:08
Yea, we'll stick to that. ;)

romeothemonk
22-08-2004, 23:49
By the way, any Roman carthage rumblings yet?

romeothemonk
24-08-2004, 14:34
In the mighty turn seven, following the uneventful turn 6, preceeding the turn known as 8, a glorious victory is won for the persians. 1 archer retreated a vet horse, the other flawlessly killed it. As long as the persians see exposed horses, they shall perish. The mighty persians also enlisted an ally in the nation of Egypt. Expect mighty swarms of Persian/egyptian troops headed fot the border. (5 turns was up, and boy they were expensive to recruit). All else conitnues apace.

Matrix
24-08-2004, 16:18

By the way, any Roman carthage rumblings yet?
Yea, I got Corsica.

Matrix
25-08-2004, 12:35
Sardinia is mine as well! [yeah]

Arghis
25-08-2004, 19:08
Things are rather quiet for now. Is this the calm before the tempest, future will say !

As for my horsemen, they do the work thay had been told to do ! [devil]

N.B. :
- the galleys were transporting enough hoplites to protect the settler ...
- about razing cities, well, of course i won't raze every cities, unless very particuliar circumstances. the first one was just a kind of example.

romeothemonk
25-08-2004, 21:07
Turn 8: Retreat a horse. MM my empire. It is busy hemorraghing cash. Dang bad Starting situation.
Just kidding. We are preparing for Alexanders eventual march into our land, and the devestation to be visited upon him.

Arghis
25-08-2004, 21:48
MM my empire ?

romeothemonk
25-08-2004, 21:55
Micro-Manage. Like trying to get extra shields per turn (spt) or Gold per turn (gpt).

Arghis
27-08-2004, 10:28
The town of Ancyra has been captured by Alexander the Great. In the persian side, 4 spearmen and 2 archers have been lost. We're seeing immortals arriving to rescue the people of this area. Let them now that the battle is over, and that the citizens of Ancyra are safe under the rule of Macedonia !

romeothemonk
27-08-2004, 14:29
1 troop of immortals surveyed the scene that was Ancyra. Distraught over the loss of their families in Ancyra, the brutally attacked and slaughtered a hoplite that was wandering through the area. The Hoplite was drawn, quartered, and then impaled on 4 seperate pikes. Much was the fury of the immortals. Alexander is invited to come on down and fight some real troops, as they are slowly making their way towards him.

Arghis
05-09-2004, 10:07
The town of Zela has been captured. The defending forces have been anihilated. We now that the people of Sinope are rioting. Do they realize where the leadership of Bhaal followers will lead them ?

Athens has finished to build a giant golden collossus which was blessed by Apollo and Hermes. Cleopatra has agreed to stop supporting the wrong side.

romeothemonk
05-09-2004, 15:10
Hmm, Updates and stuff, The great persian empire is kinda reeling a little bit. There is an awful lot of pressure at the front. We will continue to kill bad guys till we succomb.

romeothemonk
05-09-2004, 15:19
Killed an over confident horseman, retreated alexander the pretty good from my territory.

Arghis
06-09-2004, 10:22
hmm, explain me something, you manage to kill one horseman and severly damaged my army with just one spearman and no loss ???

Arghis
06-09-2004, 10:23
it's ok for the horseman, my mistake

romeothemonk
06-09-2004, 16:04
The Persian High command is being quiet on the New Superweapon used to retreat Alexander, as well as any losses incurred.

Arghis
06-09-2004, 16:36
Considering the fact that my army has survived and if we were not using a game mechanics so flawed, i would have seen who attacked me (unless you use some F117 :-)) - i know you use Numidians mercenary, just tell me which unit has attacked bacause i can't believe a lone spearman has made so much damage.

romeothemonk
06-09-2004, 16:52
More than one unit was involved. I have named my spear Bob, than upgraded him.
For turn 17, I will quote from History of the World part 1.
Did you kill this week?
No
Did you try to kill this week?
Yes
Alright, this is your last week on unemployment insurance, either you kill next week or we change your status.

Arghis
06-09-2004, 17:34
[hmm]

romeothemonk
06-09-2004, 17:54
It is a movie with Mel Brooks. There is a scene with a gladiator at an unemployment office, and that is some of the dialouge. Sorry if this doesn't work, but my sense of humor is really out there.

Arghis
06-09-2004, 18:14
[bomb]

akots
06-09-2004, 19:09
There are supposed to be some Scyth warriors/Riders/Swordsmen running around. You can always blame them if something goes wrong. :)

The first Persian player I played in RoR at CFC (he dropped after razing and losing 3 or 4 cities) did not send battle logs and it was a nightmare to find out where all these hoplites and horsemen go.

romeothemonk
06-09-2004, 19:19
I let him know where all of his units went. Perhaps I should name and number all my troops so Arghis can really see what is happening, but then someone else may turn on me. BTW, I was annoyed to find Egypt at war with me, especially after I had just signed a large gpt deal with them. They cheated me out of a lot of gold.

Arghis
06-09-2004, 19:31
Do you yhink i was happy seeing that Scyths are at war with me ?

No need to number all your troops. Just let me know details which are important, like WHO HAS ATTACKED ALEXANDER !

[aargh]

Who do you want to turn on you ? Rome and Carthage has already many things to do. Goths perhaps ? But they don't read the forum [^]

romeothemonk
06-09-2004, 20:33
Somewhere between 2 and 7 troops attacked alexander. Some were immortals, some were spears. In the real game you wouldn't know, as your army would never be attacked. I tried to teach the goths writing, but it was futile. No word on how they are doing with the internet.

Arghis
06-09-2004, 22:32
interesting to look at the map

before

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200496223146_ror1.jpg
8.67KB

Arghis
06-09-2004, 22:32
and during

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/20049622427_ror2-bis.jpg
6.56KB

Arghis
07-09-2004, 11:22
an interesting link leading to a preview of "Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great" :

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/tin_soldiers_preview/

Arghis
07-09-2004, 11:29
even more here : http://www.koiosworks.com/

check the flash demo button

akots
07-09-2004, 14:44
Dunno, I look the demo and read a couple of reviews and it did not impress me at all. Reminds of a remake of "The Great Battles of Alexander". This was indeed a superb game unfortunately extremely glitchy. I still have the disks of TGBoA, of Hannibal, and of Caesar but cannot run them under XP. Well, it was barely possible with Win95. And if playing tin soldiers, my two boys play with plastic ones but they are cheaper, have great quality, and even if you lose them, no big deal: http://www.zvezda.org.ru/eng/

The guys who run that company are really doing the greatest job I've even seen around. All alternatives in the Internet are overpriced crap. And here in US there just none. They also have great rules. Highly recommended staff from 10 yrs old to 90 yrs old! :)

Arghis
09-09-2004, 16:53
The war is still raging between Macedonia and Persia. The demonic persian has sacrified two of his town instead of letting us liberate them ...

romeothemonk
10-09-2004, 15:50
Killed a Greek horseman poking his little Shnozz around my stuff. Got my first Elite in the process. Defended against the Egyptians. Note to Self: Send a nasty-gram to greece for that deal.

romeothemonk
16-09-2004, 05:21
No killing of Greek units this turn. (23) That is getting far too close to a standard thing. On the positive side, I have liberated Gaza. On the city abandonment, they were size 1 no culture cities I founded. They would have autorazed. Now both the Greeks and I have to deal with no more Golden Age. Boohoo.

Arghis
16-09-2004, 20:21
The city of Trapezus has join the Macedonian. 1 immortal and 2 spearmen units have been neutralized. Strangely, as the egyptians decided to broke their words and attack Macedonia, the scyths choose to ally with Alexander.

Arghis
16-09-2004, 20:25
a very interesting game is coming to (a second) life : http://www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=1269

you should really see the latest screensaver they made for this game, it's absolutely fun and beautiful ...

romeothemonk
17-09-2004, 01:39
Guys, I will be traveling with our college American Football team this weekend and unavailible for at least Friday Saturday and protions of Sunday. Sorry for the inconvience, I just found out 6 hours ago myself.

romeothemonk
23-09-2004, 06:53
For the Second straight turn a Greek Horseman has been anhillated without cost to the mighty Persian Empire. A massive infra push is under way.

Arghis
24-09-2004, 00:26
:-)

romeothemonk
24-09-2004, 01:14
I have dispatched 2 hoplites, a HC and Memphis this turn. We have decided to be nice and let the Macedonians, our sworn enemies, visit our lovely hospitality on the Palestinian coast. They will sleep in our beds for a few years, then we will force them to our refugee gamps. Muhahaha. (Nice naval landing BTW)

Arghis
24-09-2004, 14:08
Beirut has fallen in our hands. The defending unit has been treated as all others before ... the battles to come promise to be more serious than ever.

romeothemonk
24-09-2004, 15:20
One of the members of the Beriut occupation was destroyed by our Freedom loving Brigade. The Nile is the Egyptians best friend, as that is the only thing saving their pathetic empire. I was surprised to find myself at war with the Celts. I think I will send a task force that way in oh, 300 years.

romeothemonk
26-09-2004, 14:53
We noticed that Beirut no longer existed. That is kind of a Shame. This infuriated our troops to such an extant that they took it out on all the greeks they could reach. The great mastermind Darius, with a little help from his leading general, romeothemonk, focused this anger against 3 hoplites and 2 Heavy Cavs. This paid off with the nice capture of 4 catapults as well. 5:1 kill ratio, plus 2 catapults, and building a settler to replace Beirut, not too bad off a turn. Memo to the Greeks. Neener, Neener.
BTW, this is easily the best PBEM I have ever done. Thanks guys.
I will be gone next Friday and Saturday coaching a college football team at a road game. We leave Friday at 10 AM Mountain time, and will get back Saturday around 10 PM Mountain time. Thanks

Matrix
27-09-2004, 23:30
Look what I built for akots:
http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RoR05.jpg

Arghis
28-09-2004, 08:33
Nice building :-)

i was expecting the battle around Melitene to be hard, but not to this point. I'm rather surprised by the result. Elite Hoplites with Catapult on a hill should have inflicted you some damaged. The loss of Beirut is more for you than a simple far away town (5 pop, not counting a worker, the buildings inside and the ressource outside ...). And you're right, you'll have to use a settler there.

I'm pleased to see that at last you decide to make slightly better battle reports, indicating parts of your attacking troops. Perhaps before the end of this game you'll change your mind about complete battle reports ...

As a sidenote, i do not find the meaning of the word "neener". What does it mean ?

Pastorius
28-09-2004, 11:18
I think it is a taunt. Not sure though

Great stuff here guys. Fun read. I miss Matrix and akots doing some propagandic posts though. Anyone care to post a minimap?

akots
28-09-2004, 11:57
No minimaps please. May be later.

Arghis
28-09-2004, 12:27
i've open a thread in my private forum for those curious about details (from my point of view) on this game. Obviously it's spoiler ...

romeothemonk
28-09-2004, 14:12
Ok, On the battle at Melitane. I used 2 Heavy cavs that retreated, they tookd a couple of HP's off of your elites. Then I attacked with Elite immortal, slight favorite, vet immortal, slight underdog "he lost", then a series of vet immortals that won or forced retreats. One of the best advantages that I have is not letting you know how many units I have, as I am really guessing as to your units too. I was under the impression that battle reports just meant listing the units you killed and a vicinity. About your Army a few turns back, I just threw I think 5 immortals and a spear or two at it until it left.
Yes, Neener is a midamerican tuant. It is usually done with tounge out and thumbs in the ears waving the rest of your hands at them. Rather childish, but the purpose of gaming is to let the inner child free.

romeothemonk
28-09-2004, 14:23
Just played my turn. I whacked a Heavy Cav north of Gazaca with a heavy cav. It was out in "No man's land" that we are both trying to get settlers to.
Alexandria fell to the might Persian Army this turn, but the Egyptians still will not give me what I want.

Arghis
29-09-2004, 09:35

Ok, On the battle at Melitane.
++thx
I used 2 Heavy cavs that retreated, they tookd a couple of HP's off of your elites. Then I attacked with Elite immortal, slight favorite, vet immortal, slight underdog "he lost", then a series of vet immortals that won or forced retreats. One of the best advantages that I have is not letting you know how many units I have, as I am really guessing as to your units too.
++yes i understand, but it can also be to your advantage to know with what i attack.
I was under the impression that battle reports just meant listing the units you killed and a vicinity.
++well for me it's just saying i attack you with this, and lost this; the civ game mechanics is rather flawed in a wargamer perspective. the battle reports allows to compenste a bit this, and give some more interactivity.
About your Army a few turns back, I just threw I think 5 immortals and a spear or two at it until it left.
+yes, i think i saw them arriving.
Yes, Neener is a midamerican tuant. It is usually done with tounge out and thumbs in the ears waving the rest of your hands at them. Rather childish, but the purpose of gaming is to let the inner child free.
++ :-)

romeothemonk
29-09-2004, 20:30
I wacked a Hoplite in the mountains with an immortal. That is the hoplite that was parked there for ages. Thanks again for the great gift of catapults. Killed some sycths and Egyptians too.

romeothemonk
29-09-2004, 20:37
Also I noticed a hoplite by former beirut, he died to an immortal going to fortify New beirut.

Matrix
29-09-2004, 22:41
Here's a minimap with the original fog of war. ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/200492922418_Cunctator01.gif
11.71KB

romeothemonk
30-09-2004, 15:03
I whacked an elite hoplite in Zela, and with some creative diplomacy, Greece is gonna have a bad day or 3 in a row here. Greece is still ahead of me in Military, but as I start finally getting my lands improved and infra up, that should change.
I will be gone on Friday/saturday for a football game, but will play as soon as I can.

Arghis
30-09-2004, 15:56
[rotfl]

romeothemonk
06-10-2004, 00:59
I think Arghis is laughing at me. He will stop laughing when he realizes that I have killed a hoplite in Egypt. That is a long way for your hoplite to go. I should be able to snag Bachanalia as well. hehe.

Arghis
06-10-2004, 09:38
As everyone have guessed, Macedonia Green Helmets are protecting Egypt from the hegemonistic persian behavior.

I have to remind you that you already lost one immortal, in the Heliopolis area.

[egypt]

romeothemonk
06-10-2004, 14:39
No greeks killed this turn. I killed some guys in yellow though, and put my free catapults to good use.

Arghis
06-10-2004, 14:51
i was laughing because your first offensive in my territory (around Zela) allows me to convert your heavy cavalry in a bunch of lost souls now roaming phlogiston. Nice try !

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/2004106145019_chaaaarggeeez.gif
4.39KB

Please, do something that scares me !

romeothemonk
08-10-2004, 00:48
Today some greeks were given complimentary swimming lessons. Arghis will have to tell you how many attempted, but none of them passed. Another egyptian city fell under my sway as well.

Arghis
12-10-2004, 19:32
2 numidians units wandering outside their frontiers have been destroyed. We believe that some of them were threatening our Scyths friends.

Know this son of Bhaal : it is possible that i can't enter your demonic realm, but it is certain that you shall not ventures too far away from your fiendish forested hills.

By the way, how is life now in the little village of New Beirut ?

[nuke]

romeothemonk
15-10-2004, 06:54
Some more greeks went swimming this time. And do not think that the Persians will lose at Marathon this time.

akots
15-10-2004, 08:34
Just wanted to make sure. Are we allowed to use ship chaining? MSDG-UN rules allow and Aggie's rules frown but apparently allow. We can either decide to allow or to disallow. Please speak up on the matters before the next turn.

Arghis
15-10-2004, 09:09
Ship chaining is making a land unit from ship to ship to advance a bit more. I think we mustn't allow this. it's an exploit of a flaw in game mechanics ...

romeothemonk
15-10-2004, 15:51
I agree with Arghis here. No chaining. He could make my life really not so fun by chaining troops from Sparta down to Egypt area in 1 turn, which is a horrendus exploit. Same with you taking troops from Carthage to the front.

akots
15-10-2004, 19:05
OK, I'll abstain from using it.

Matrix
23-10-2004, 15:35
It's been quite a long time since I've seen a savegame, and also the first time I sent with the Turn Tracker (http://www.straland.com/turntracker/), so I resent the savegame the conventional way, even though Arghis might've played it already.

Or am I dead already? [mischief]

akots
23-10-2004, 17:41
Nope, I have not received the game as well.

romeothemonk
25-10-2004, 00:20
I have yet to get turn 46 from Arghis. If I did, I cannot find it in my inbox.

Arghis
25-10-2004, 11:23
i've resend it to you just now :-)

akots
25-10-2004, 11:50
You can post it here as well to make sure.

romeothemonk
25-10-2004, 14:53
Played and sent. No greeks were harmed during the completion of this turn

anarres
25-10-2004, 19:14
^^^^ [lol]

akots
25-10-2004, 19:41
@Anarres - Are you OK? And what is this ^^^^?

Pastorius
25-10-2004, 19:51
He is laughing at romeo's verison of

"no animals were hurt in the making of this [game]"

substitute word in brackets for whatever variant you guys have seen....

;)

akots
25-10-2004, 19:51
@Romeo: I have not received anything. Please post the save here in the thread then or check what is wrong with your e-mail. You can also use turntracker but sometimes mail.ru is bouncing what she thinks is junk.

romeothemonk
25-10-2004, 21:04
I have been sending to the sbc account you gave me.

anarres
25-10-2004, 22:14
akots, what Paal said.

akots
25-10-2004, 23:23
OK, I finally got that, both files sent with 7-hour intervals arrived at the same time. First file took about 10 hours to get there and second took about 4 hours. I hate yahoo, it is crap. But still better than hotmail. What is going on with e-mails, I don't know. But it becomes an issue and a big one. It is lost or undelivered sometimes or simply corrupt. :)

Matrix
01-11-2004, 14:09
I probably just played my last turn. [wavey]

akots
02-11-2004, 06:23
Indeed, you were right. Rome fought well, to the last men. The names of heroic legions lying dead on the battlefield will be forever remembered. Last Roman city has been captured by the Goths and history has become alternative history. We are down to 3 human players.

Image Insert:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20041126220_Cunctator-t51-Romeisgone.JPG

akots
02-11-2004, 06:28
Can I read your spoiler now? :) Please...

Matrix
03-11-2004, 13:07
I already gave you permission by e-mail. ;)

romeothemonk
03-11-2004, 13:43
This turn saw the glorious defeat of Alexander the pretty good. He was thoroughly set up and whupped at Marathon. Did you really think I would make such a crappy landing for no reason? It was to cause you to use alexander and get him injured. WOOHOO. Dancing in the streets.

Arghis
03-11-2004, 14:20
i know there was a chance for this, but, well, it's a game. I hesitated retreating it, but one has to take risks to see things evolves. Anyway, nice move for you :-)

romeothemonk
03-11-2004, 15:31
Of course you could have really been setting me up, which means I will get smoked this turn. Hmm the plot thickens. You have pulled a number of highly intriguing moves so far and I wouldn't put it past you to have set up a double trap. But now we join in the election day revelries, or something. (go to school) arggh

Arghis
03-11-2004, 22:56
I have the regret to announce you that your army has been defeated in the lands of the city of Marathon :-) A joint force of catapult, hoplites and heavy cavalry put an end to the rampage of your already forgotten general.

Arghis
03-11-2004, 23:03
A bit of history to variate our discussion ...

Battle of Marathon
(September 490 BC), in the Greco-Persian Wars, decisive battle fought on the Marathon plain of northeastern Attica in which the Athenians, in a single afternoon, repulsed the first Persian invasion of Greece. Command of the hastily assembled Athenian army was vested in 10 generals, each of whom was to hold operational command for one day. The generals were evenly divided on whether to await the Persians or to attack them, and the tie was broken by a civil official, Callimachus, who decided in favour of an attack. Four of the generals then ceded their commands to the Athenian general Miltiades, thus effectively making him commander in chief.

The Greeks could not hope to face the Persians' cavalry contingent on the open plain, but before dawn one day the Greeks learned that the cavalry were temporarily absent from the Persian camp, whereupon Miltiades ordered a general attack upon the Persian infantry. In the ensuing battle, Miltiades led his contingent of 10,000 Athenians and 1,000 Plataeans to victory over the Persian force of 15,000 by reinforcing his battle line's flanks and thus decoying the Persians' best troops into pushing back his centre, where they were surrounded by the inward-wheeling Greek wings. On being almost enveloped, the Persian troops broke into flight. By the time the routed Persians reached their ships, they had lost 6,400 men; the Greeks lost 192 men, including Callimachus. The battle proved the superiority of the Greek long spear, sword, and armour over the Persians' weapons.

According to legend, an Athenian messenger was sent from Marathon to Athens, a distance of about 25 miles (40 km), and there he announced the Persian defeat before dying of exhaustion. This tale became the basis for the modern marathon race. Herodotus, however, relates that a trained runner, Pheidippides (also spelled Phidippides, or Philippides), was sent from Athens to Sparta before the battle in order to request assistance from the Spartans; he is said to have covered about 150 miles (240 km) in about two days.
(C) 2000 Britannica.com Inc.

------------

Arghis
03-11-2004, 23:06
and some beautiful images there : http://alexanderthemovie.warnerbros.com/

Socrates
04-11-2004, 00:26
quote:Originally posted by Arghis

and some beautiful images there : http://alexanderthemovie.warnerbros.com/

Personnally I'm putting my faith in Baz Luhrmann's movie about Alexander the Great, if he ever makes it : di Caprio as Alex and Kidman as his mother. Knowing the genius of Luhrmann, what can I have better ? Hope the special treatment won't harm the story, but help it. :)

romeothemonk
04-11-2004, 14:17
Hmm, An interesting historical sidenote. In the next 5 years the persians killed 3 hoplites and a Heavy cav (over by hamadan) without a loss. Marathon is currently under an advanced state of seige.

romeothemonk
05-11-2004, 13:41
This year was a bad year for the persians. We traded galleys with the greeks, killed a hoplite at Marathon, but lost 2 immortals and 2 HC's to a swordsman. That was really weird. Also a HC army and 9 HC's are driving for my core. I wasn't expecting a Hey diddle diddle straight up the middle attack. Nice work.

Arghis
05-11-2004, 13:58
hey diddle diddle ?? what does this mean ?

you were talking of double trap, that's a bit what i was planning with my HC. As for Marathon, i understand your disapointment; civ is definitly made for making serious war. personnaly i had already considered Marathon lost even with walls on a hill, and was just expecting it to divert you now.

digger760
05-11-2004, 15:31
Hey Diddle Diddle
The cat and the fiddle
The cow jumped over the moon
..forget the next few lines
And the dish ran away with the spoon

Now that i'm a dad..i'll have to learn these versed properly ;)

digger760
05-11-2004, 15:34
I guess it describes how well you pulled the wool over his eyes and attack him with ease?

romeothemonk
07-11-2004, 08:02
Hey diddle diddle straight up the middle is an American term. In football the simplest run is right up the middle, as is the easiest attack. You really never expect it as it is so simple, but when you get beat by it, it really sucks. The term is often used to describe simple minded attacks, or French Army offensives. Think of this as an education in American Plains vocabulary.

Pastorius
07-11-2004, 08:21
Yeah, I suppose that would be the unexpected trick in a pbem, since humans obviously are better than the AI when it comes to tactics and strategic positioning of troops

Arghis
07-11-2004, 09:14
"simple minded attacks, or French Army offensives". hmmm, could you be more explicit - give me an example.

romeothemonk
07-11-2004, 14:54
In the first counteroffensives of the Great War, France sent over half a million troops in a grand counteroffensive in Northern France. (I forget the exact name of the place). They went strait over the top, and right into the center of the german lines. It caught the Germans by surprise temporarily, but it killed 117,000 Frenchmen in like 2 weeks. Eventual German Casaulties were much lower. And mirroring real life, you lost a Heavy Cav and a Heavy Cav Army. I lost 2 immortals and 2 heavy cavs.

romeothemonk
08-11-2004, 01:49
In the past turn I was dissapointed to find one of my major cities razed. I thought we were not razing. Oh well. I killed a galley, and I believe 6 HC's for the low low cost of 1 immortal and 1 HC. Plus I will rebuild Arblea, and Arghis is down 1 net city. It also looks like our war might not matter in the long run as akots can win in about 20 turns. (domination) I think he would have trouble with either of our armies.

akots
08-11-2004, 06:01
IIRC, we are allowed to raze the cities, we are not allowed to abandon them.

Persia is certainly always wellcome to test our readiness for war, anytime. Though Carthage would prefer to remain a peaceful state, many war elephants are being built and cash-rushed and might be in proper time and place for a battle if there is need. The F3 advisor might be a bit misleading in this case and relying solely on his conclusions about military strength can yield some unclear results.

Arghis
08-11-2004, 09:55
If akots wins, well he deserve it. I won't attack him just because he's taking the lead. Now that Rome is no more and considering the poor way the IA act, it is obvious that this game is done. I could raze Scyths if you want, but what is the interest ?
As for Arbela, what do you want me to do. I have razed it because this offensive will have achieve a part of his goal (that is making a breach in your defensive borderline - a very efficient one because of the movement penalty coming from all the forest / hills - which implies that whenever / wherever i go you'll have all the necessary time to reorganize your defense thanks to your road network, and so take back the initiative). Of course you will rebuild Arbela; i was just targetting this time one of your major city.

romeothemonk
10-11-2004, 14:50
This turn I killed 2 hoplites that were vacationing in egypt. I was rather annoyed to see that Arghis had dropped a considerable force down there. Dang his galleys.

I will delete my old saves from this game in the next 36 hours unless I hear otherwise. Akots just passed me in points, and I think it is rather silly of me to keep hanging on to 40 mB of saves.

Arghis
11-11-2004, 12:29
Well, you know, Egypt is a beautiful country; Macedonia, as a gift to his brave hoplites soliers decided to offer them some holiday on the Nile. People likes changes :-)

romeothemonk
11-11-2004, 15:11
I noticed that Arghis must be doing an R and R campaign as he now as over 10 units in Egypt. Or had, or something like that. He can expect an awful lot of rioting this turn as Mycene fell to the Persians, along with 3 hoplites, to no cost to my glorious troops. Oh and one other thing too. Hehe. Did you know that it also acts as Wall Street? Ain't life grand?

romeothemonk
11-11-2004, 17:04
I noticed that Arghis must be doing an R and R campaign as he now as over 10
units in Egypt. Or had, or something like that. He can expect an awful lot
of rioting this turn as Mycene fell to the Persians, along with 3 hoplites,
to no cost to my glorious troops. Oh and one other thing too. Hehe. Did
you know that it also acts as Wall Street? Ain't life grand?

romeothemonk
11-11-2004, 17:06
Sorry for the Douple/triple posts. I have a dial-up connection and sometimes CDZ and my ISP don't get along or something.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/romeothemonk/2004111117532_Bach.jpg
41.32KB

romeothemonk
12-11-2004, 14:27
This turn saw the destruction of 2 hoplites and a heavy cav in Egypt. I lost 1 immortal, but it looks like Arghis will carry on with his plans and burn a few cities. That is cool with me, as they are egyptian citizens and really not that friendly with me since Arghis got Egypt to redeclare on me.

Arghis
13-11-2004, 11:52
You're wrong on the fact that i'll burn every cities. I just razed what is necessary ... Your road network always give you the advantages of the attacker. Well, that's the way this game is.

romeothemonk
13-11-2004, 15:24
This turn I killed 1 HC and 1 hoplite, recaptured Kuhmn and captured a worker. Arghis still holds the Deep nile, but that may change shortly. Of course, Hadrians wall makes it a bit tougher for me.

Matrix
07-12-2004, 13:18
Is this game still alive?

akots
07-12-2004, 13:31
It is but I have not seen the turn for a few days.

romeothemonk
07-12-2004, 18:10
I sent off my turn within 12 hours of receiving it. Arghis was just sending in some stacks into egypt and my northern territory.

romeothemonk
11-12-2004, 15:17
Best turn ever!!
In a stunningly lopsided manner the Persians triumphed this turn. [charge]
Near the Extended border with Greece, 4 hoplites and 5 heavy cavs were killed with the loss of 1 heavy cav.
[estwing]
In egypt, the troops were entertained by watching 2 greek heavy cavs fall down, while even the scythian battalions got into the action, killing 3 riders with no losses.

[duelist]

akots
13-12-2004, 22:26
The game has ended on turn 76 with Domination victory for Carthage. I'll upload the screenies when the site will migrate, hopefully tomorrow.

Matrix
19-12-2004, 20:52
Could you post the save and can we have the admin password? :D

Pastorius
19-12-2004, 20:58
Could you be on MSN and be diplomatic please :D

akots
20-12-2004, 16:50
Can I post the attachments? And you have the admin password?

Matrix
20-12-2004, 16:51
[hmm] Good point. I might remember...

Matrix
20-12-2004, 16:54
"dunno" [tongue]