PDA

View Full Version : Holiday!!

Beam
05-08-2004, 12:14
In a couple of hours holiday starts. :) I'll be off until 6 September spending quite some time sailing with some time at home in between.

I'll fly to Dublin tomorrow to sail a yacht to the Netherlands and expect to be back in about 1,5 week.

PBEM activities will be irregular for the coming month but I'll be able to play between trips.

Banzai
05-08-2004, 12:23
Wow! that sounds cool!
Have a lot of fun and take care..

Banzai!

Aggie
05-08-2004, 12:30
Have fun! So you haven't finished AG11? :(

Beam
05-08-2004, 14:40
Don't worry Aggie, I'll start the holiday with a monster Civ session tonight playing:
- AG11
- Krys
- Dell
- DMIII
- Erikk (if he sends me a sav)

Will play col and anar as well if they return the sav [tongue]

ERIKK
05-08-2004, 15:24
Que?

It's your turn dude!

Anyway, do I still have to take over that 8 game?

Dell19
05-08-2004, 16:44
Good job we played a lot of turns recently :)

Beam
05-08-2004, 17:34
quote:Anyway, do I still have to take over that 8 game?

Pleaz, I've asked anar a couple of times to Cc you in but he seems to have missed that.

Here is the pressure chart for coming Sunday when I will be sailing from Dublin to Lands End (in the arrow shaped area). Scary low to the west (remains of Hurricane Alex) and a S wind :(

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200485173237_weerkaart zondag overdag 1.jpg
234.92KB

Grille
20-08-2004, 23:41
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Don't worry Aggie, I'll start the holiday with a monster Civ session tonight playing:
- AG11
- Krys
- Dell
- DMIII

Will play col and anar as well if they return the sav [tongue]

If it's boring in port and you run out of saves, there's still this one (22b)...[:p];)

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif BvG022b.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004820232940_BvG022b.SAV)
63.83KB

Beam
21-08-2004, 01:13
Thnx Grille!

Some about the trip:

Friday 6th
Flight from R'dam to Dublin over London. Marvelous view of the S England coast as we fly straight over Gatwick. W-England is cloudy but Dublin is in a patch of sunlight and we can even spot the marina on the approach to the airport. Who said it is always raining in Eire?

Some cold beers are ready as we board the Beluga, a 45ft Baltic which will be called home for the coming 1,5 week. The plan to leave next morning is abandoned as some heavy weather is expected Saturday night. Irish pubs confirm their reputation overnight. [drunk] Funny to see all those people smoking outside pubs ;)

Saturday 7th

The yacht-owner is leaving (after a succesful dive for a drowned towel), Beluga is all mine now! Some light work aboard and preparing for both leaving Sunday morning and, you guessed it, another stay at the pub!

Sunday 8th

The heavy weather expected for Saturday night missed the bus and is expected around noon now. Indeed it does with gusts of over 30 knots in port which means around 35-40 knots at sea. Beluga can handle that sort of wind easily but leaving port in conditions like that is quite tricky. Winds are expected to ease in the course of the afternoon and so they do. We leave port at about 18:00 after we got a nice bottle of Merlot cause we helped another yachtsman sorting out his halyards.

There is some swell outside but less than expected and we start working our way to Lands End with a full main and a small jib with 20-25 knots of wind from the S.

Since there are quite a number of shallow banks along the Irish coast the main course is towards the center of the Irish Sea.

Monday 9th
About an hour before my 2:00 - 6:00 watch starts a change in the movement of the boat wakes me up, founding out that the wind is easing rapidly and when my watch starts it is less than 8 knots S against a 2-3 knot current. Time to start the engine (something sailors try to postpone as long as possible!). After an hour we get a very bright night sky in return. The Milky Way is fully exposed and it is the month of the Persiides and Leonides so we see a lot of falling stars which is only stopped by the twilight starting at about 05:00. The early morning watch still has to fight some current and makes some attempts to do some sailing.

During the day, after noon dolphins show up about every hour or so! It is a challenge for the crew who's the first to spot them and usually a little turmoil is the first indication they are there, soon followed by the first jump over the waves. The best place to spot them usually is at the bow where they will collect in groups of up to 6 dolphins while performing some swimming and jumping in sync. Truly amazing. We even see a pair of (most likley) humpbacks, the only whale I know with some sort of phin on their back.

The wind allows for some occasional sailing during the day. As a skipper I have one concern: do we have enough fuel to make it to Falmouth in case we are stuck with no wind.

Tuesday 9th
During the night we get what's even worse than no wind: no wind and rain. Fortunately it clears during the night and we get another spectacular starry night.

Well after twilight we see a couple of suspicious showers coming in form the W instead of the Lands End hills to the S. The showers (which can produce heavy winds) just pass us and after a while we see the first hilltops emerge on the horizon. Confirmation of where we are, always welcome despite the GPS! We also get some more wind but it still is coming from S directions.

As we get closer to Lands End the tide is about to turn against us. Not so much of an issue in the open sea where it is usually less than 0,5 knot but currents usually are much stronger around capes like Lands End. Fortunately we can go around before it becomes to strong and once heading for Lizard Point we both enjoy favourable currents and winds! :) Since I've been on deck for about 12 hours now it is time to get some sleep after laying a course to Lizard Point for the crew.

Sticking the sleepy head outside both shows a very nice few of Lizard Point and a lot of yachts with similar plans as ours: get to Falmouth and enjoy the ride! The S winds finally are in our favour and with a good view of the coast we make our way to the beautiful mouth of the Fal river. Of which we've only seen part as it is early in the evening and everybody is looking forward to inspect the bottle of Merlot and for a nice dinner ashore.

Finding the way to a berth in Falmouth is an adventure by itself since the whole area is littered with yachts on moorings. We finally find an empty spot of about 50ft in the visitors port where there is a very friendly welcome in the Marina Office which for a change is not a concrete fortification but some kind of garden shed from your cheapest do-it-yourself retailer. The Merlot proves itself very well prior to dinner where we found out that the Annual Falmouth Disco Party is taking place that very night. In other words, dig up those fancy 70's wigs and sunglasses and make a statement to the masses! The Beluga crew really stands out with salted and sunlighted wigs and we finally make it back for some much needed sleep.;)

Some impressions of an off-shore sailing trip, one of the crew took a lot of pics which I will post when I get'm. Also, is someone interested in the Falmouth - Brighton stage? (including thundery showers, unmarked shallow sandbanks and how-to-judge-the-size-of-a-catch).

Kingreno
21-08-2004, 07:03
Sounds like you are enjoying yourself skipper!

Tell us something about the crew!

Beam
04-08-2005, 09:47
2,5 weeks of holiday from now. :) Sailing most of the time starting with the Fastnet Race from Cowes next Sunday. I'll be home on the 16th and can play turns then.

Matrix
04-08-2005, 13:15

- AG11
- Krys
- Dell
- DMIII
Still can't believe you've won, hey?

But let's get that game over with and continue with Deathmatch IV.

digger760
04-08-2005, 14:57
[cry] And the 8 player was just getting moving again, can ProPain Fill in?

ERIKK
04-08-2005, 15:24
According to the TT it's in Beams mailbox...

Beam
05-08-2005, 22:04
I hope to play it (and other pbems) before the start of the Fastnet on sunday. :)

Matrix
05-08-2005, 22:50
The Stuttgart game too? [mischief]

Beam
05-08-2005, 23:26
Stapel can play the Stuttgart game!

Matrix
05-08-2005, 23:46
Oh yes, I forgot!

Markstar
10-08-2005, 14:24
Damn! Read this too late (by noticing that the 16+ game is stuck). :(

Anyways, hope you have fun sailing! :)

Beam
11-08-2005, 19:06
No prob. Marcus.

We just past the Scillies and are on our way back to the finish in Plymouth (yup, typing this while at sea). According to the Nav tool on the lap we should get there in 13h21m10s but the stupid thing still doesn't know how to handle changes in windspeed and direction.

Anyways, we got sun, sun, sun and more sun. [sun] Lots of flukes as well but the past 24 hours we covered over 160 nm (nautical miles) which is pretty good.

L4t4.

DrAlimentado
11-08-2005, 19:47
man i am so jealous of you right now

Beam
12-08-2005, 08:10
Just finished in Plymouth! Time for [party] [dance] [drunk] [band]

Darkness
12-08-2005, 08:44
Nice... :)

According to the Nav tool on the lap we should get there in 13h21m10s but the stupid thing still doesn't know how to handle changes in windspeed and direction.

Seems like the silly tool wasn't too far off after all, judging by the times of your posts. :D