PDA

View Full Version : We want you for RBCiv Epics !!

Socrates
04-08-2004, 13:21
I'm just resuming my RBCiv activity, since I found a good game to play (Epic 43). I'd like to drive your attention on this little community which isn't a matter of elitism, but of a friendly place where players seek fun and odd games to play. All of this under a special spirit that reckons many Civ failures (unlike GOTMs).

Here is their homepage, where you can learn more, check their rules, have a look at the 42 games already played (!)... :
http://realmsbeyond.net/civ/ (this is the Civ part of a place dealing with other games)

And here is their new forum :
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/realmsbeyond/forums/

I hope some of you will find some nice challenges. The community is currently a bit sleeping, since there aren't many players and many games (compared to before). But the quality is still excellent ! If you have ever heard of Sirian or T-hawk or Griselda, those are the ones who run the place and sponsor the games. I have myself tried a few games since last year, but I have only completed one of them so far, and wish to complete more now.

digger760
04-08-2004, 14:17
it looks interesting alright. I once played an RBCiv Epic - Hollywood I think, but never managed to find the time since. I have had a single player game going since June 2003 and its not near finished yet..so there is no chance of me finishing this one by the 6th September :(

Matrix
04-08-2004, 15:07
So it's actually a sort of GOTM, but then different? [confused]

akots
05-08-2004, 06:53
It sounds like fun. May be I should give it a try as well. :)

Aggie
05-08-2004, 07:08
I often play in their SG's at CFC but complete pure SP games are not my thing.

Socrates
05-08-2004, 09:47
It's not a GOTM, because it doesn't happen every month, but when a new game is ready to be played. There isn't always a scoring, it depends on the game. In any case, the weakest players' reports are almost as interesting as the best players' ones, as for learning new stuff about Civ and the fun element. There is a clear list of rules that you can find on the first link (you'll see it's a lot better than for the GOTM), and the only other rule is to provide a report, or at least a summary, but once the game timeframe is over (no intermediate spoiler). I have to add that there is no mod, only variants.

There have been many interesting games, and others that were less good. For example, Epic 42 was about taking a break for the holidays, so it featured the Caribeans (in fact, the Carthaginians) who had to have their workers automated. This MM restriction didn't appeal to me at all, so I skipped the game. But Epic 43 feels a lot more fun : you have to settle on the coast only, and your units must remain close to the coast as well, which greatly increases the difficulty !! And because it's about fun, you must find spices to put on your seafood diet. :D The civ is Portugal, and hadn't it been for a "competition", I would never have played as them, I fear.

Browse the games page, you'll find plenty of funny variants. The one I would have wanted to try is Epic 29 : it was a 5CC challenge, where the goal was to have the most culture points in your least cultured city !! That meant to build many cultural improvements and wonders in every city, and keep the late ones in the race. The map was well designed, and it was a good read. Oh yes, you can read the reports on several players' websites. Players like Sullla, Sirian, T-hawk, Dwip really enjoy(ed) their games, and it was some good time to read that.

Banzai
05-08-2004, 10:28
aah yes.. I remember the epics..
I've played several of them, starting with epic 6!
It was a lot of fun, but now I am more interested in PBEM and SG.

quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

The civ is Portugal, and hadn't it been for a "competition", I would never have played as them, I fear.
[rant] You'll notice the strength of the Portuguese soon enough!! ;)

Banzai!

Col.Tarleton
08-08-2004, 00:08
You're bang on with your remark that the games are a good read,Kris,I've been reading them for a couple of years.I still marvel at these players expertise.
Then there is the mysterious Urughurakh,the only player to beat one of the games,I can't remember which one it was but Sirian was not best pleased.[lol]
I think that T-Hawk has come through the pack to be possibly the best player at the moment.Sirian was the great strategist and Sullla wrote so well.
Sulla has disapeared from the games since Firaxis critisized him for giving away the "secrets" of beta testing,the ungrateful bastards.[???]