PDA

View Full Version : German deathmatch - Killer vs Grille

Lt. Killer M
23-07-2004, 23:35
here's my start
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Lt. Killer M/200472319230_grille.jpg
I headed down to the southwest 1 tile to clear the bones grass, as my scout revealed another river to the north.

by now (turn 4) Grille should be in shock - I popped a city up north!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Lt. Killer M/200472323384_grille2.JPG
85.38 KB

Banzai
26-07-2004, 10:05
What a horrible spot for a city to pop!
Look at it.. only 1 cow, 1 game, 1 fish, 2 gems, a river, several BG tiles...
This realy sucks man!

[eek]

Banzai!

Aggie
26-07-2004, 10:29
Ill placed he says [lol] [rotfl]

Lt. Killer M
26-07-2004, 11:16
Banzai, aggie: it is not coastal....... and that's where it will go ;)

Lt. Killer M
09-08-2004, 09:45
turn 16 proved a really big thing:

I researched Warriro Dode.
I was up WC on the Dutch, who had Alphabet - but no trade, even with all my 84 Gold thrown in.
I was up WC on persia, who had masonry and 2 wrokers - but no trade.

I popped a hut and got the Wheel.

Wheel and WC to the Dutch for Alphabet and 10 Gold.
Wheel and WC to Persia for Masonry and two workers.

Pop another hut and get HBR!
:D

Horses are nearby, too.

Lt. Killer M
19-08-2004, 07:59
Things are progressing nicely! I have established that my island has only the Dutch and Persians on it, unles there is a tiny connection somewhere else behind Persia - I'll know soon!

I founded by thrid city, finished a Temple in Medina (pulling the Cattle into use) and am building a settler there now. I plan to settle rather spread out for now, then clsoe the gaps - I do not want the Dutch to have time to expand toward me.
a rough plan:
*grrr, upload no work.....*
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/GvK_settling_plan.jpg

Once the Granary is done in Mecca, I will pump out settlers with occasional warriors or Spears in between.
The Dutch have access to ivory and SIlks, the Persians have Spices - the map maker was generous!

Lt. Killer M
15-10-2004, 18:51
well, turn 60 is around the corner and I won the philo race. I settled a few more towns and once my PC is up to speed again I'll post screenies.

The persian front is closed - SE of the Gems and even further down there are two cities. Xerxes extorted me for Philo which I had to give. Still on farmer gambit.

I lead in score, btw :D

Lt. Killer M
22-12-2004, 09:39
Grille, can we get this going again? Please send me the latest save!

Banzai
24-12-2004, 11:44
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Grille, can we get this going again? Please send me the latest save!

I doubt he will read this.. This is your spoiler thread right?

Lt. Killer M
27-12-2004, 11:04
gargh, [lol]

Lt. Killer M
03-02-2005, 09:52
well, time for an update - a big one!

Wea re not at turn 130, I am in my GA, Persia is a docile per civ and the Dutch are in massive trouble.
How that came to be?

see for yourself:

Persia somehow spent too little effort expanding (they were building the Pyrmaids, which they did finish, in Persepolis). This meant that I could deny them horses and iron by settling Yamama and Muscat. They did try to get iron @ what is now Bukhara, but by that time I had a nice little band of horsemen ready to beat them up. I grabbed what I could, slaughtered the archers they sent for counterattack, razed their iron city and got Gordium in the peace. Since then, about turn 80 (?) they are settling voerseas (1 city by now), they do not even try to get the spices near Antioch.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/GrillePersia.jpg

This war left me with a docile and weak neighbour who had a good chance on a big wonder (Pyrs), an additional lux (spices) and a bunhc of elite Hroses. All in all, losses were minimal.

Now, my core is very wide and spread, but the cities all are or can get fairly large. This allowed me the fast landgrab, which was intrumental in keeping Persia in check. I slaughtered 3 settlers in the war who'd otherwise would have had room to found cities. I will have to do something about the large city distances though :(

I did not get a leader and thus handbuilt my FP in Medina - the hut city. It got a courthouse, then started the FP and has completed it long ago.

My next target was the Sutch border area. They had a bunch of cities interlocking with mine, putting cultural pressure on me. I had settled far and wide into their area, rushing temples (Khursan, Fustat) to keep them in check, but this meant provoking them, too! I decided not to let them have the initiative in a probable war. I razed what was in the way and kept what wasn't.

before:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/GrilleDutchbefore.jpg

after:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/GrilleDutchafter.jpg

Along the way, I sped research toward Chivalry and during the Dutch war upgraded my Horses to Ansar warriors. Luckily, I got a leader early in the war - beware the power of an Ansar Army! [estwing]

I am still at war....

Lt. Killer M
03-02-2005, 09:56
Now, I have one big problem:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/GrilleDutchrest.jpg

Amsterdam: size 12, on hill, across river, with Swiss mercs in it :( It will take a LOT to [estwing] that!
My plan is to ONLY use the army (it will most probably be able to kill 2 SMs in one turn, so I place it on the forest, then move in, attack, attack, move back). The rest of the force is there to porect the army, kill advancing attackers (foot soldiers only) and wipe up afterwards. Also, possible flips of previous Dutch towns can be quickly answered appropriately.

Kemal
03-02-2005, 10:04
Hmm, how about pillaging that iron source near Amsterdam as well? Since if not, I suppose they'll continue to add fresh recruits to Amsterdam and other cities while you slowly take them out with your army.
And regarding the army, would it not be at a better place at the cow, than at the forest? Who knows if the RNG favours you, and you could take out even 3 or 4 Swiss mercs in a turn from there. :)

Lt. Killer M
03-02-2005, 10:07
Now you will ask why I am so cautious and will not just kill the Dutch, whatever the cost.

Well, I am 4 turns from Astronomy, I found Grille (suicide galley) a long time ago, and despite his recent massive catchup in many things, tech included (France has the Great Lib, I was very wary of a GLib capture by him; danger gone now, GL obsolete). I want to land my extremely fast UU all over his coast and see what I can do - thinking of a Viking-style hit'n'raze attack. If I can e.g. raze two towns and cut a lux for the loss of 9 Ansar Warriors that is just great - also, it will force him to change builds etc.

ATM he is back Chivalry, so France and him got Edu - I think he is thinking of doing the same thing to me that I want to do to him. Well, he'll face an army in my lands, and I will keep enough Ansars for defence.
I have a good prebuild for Cops and one for Newtons, too.
I will go for Nav, despite the dead end and my lack of a good coastal town to build it in, simply so I cna come from all directions at him. No big need to rush for Cas for me as my unit is a 3-mover (as opposed to Grilles Keshik).

Lt. Killer M
03-02-2005, 10:08
kemal: I CAN take out the iron and I can park it on the cow, true. Never thought of that!

Atm the army is healing @ 1 HP - ouch!

Pastorius
03-02-2005, 10:10
Agree with Kemal. Rush a galley in Utrecht and do an AI-style naval invasion on the iron tile [lol]

Seriously - pillage the iron man.

Have a feeling you ll need more than the army to beat the SM @ Amsterdam

edit: while I posted, Killer posted twice [crazyeye]

Lt. Killer M
13-02-2005, 12:13
iron gone, I think Grille has Astro. Well, I'll have it in 2 @ way lower cost now, and then will switch my KT prebuild over..... har har har

Also, I got a nice trade: Invention + 4/t + 5 for Chivalry from France (they need Chiv to defende against Grille, whom they sneaked).

har har har!