PDA

View Full Version : The Swimming Pool - Open Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Socrates
15-07-2004, 01:44
And yeah, it is starting !!! [cool]

This topic can be used by everyone for any public comment about the game. But please post your questions about rules and stuff in the topic inside the Opponent Finding Forum.

-----

The roster :
1. krys - Byzantines (Sci, Sea) - repl. player : ProPain
2. anarres - Dutch (Agr, Sea)
3. Beam - Hittites (Com, Sea) - repl. player : ERIKK
4. Banzai - Portuguese (Ind, Sea)
5. Kemal - Incans (Agr, Sea)
6. akots - Carthaginians (Ind, Sea)
7. Arghis - Vikings (Mil, Sea) - repl. player : Moff Jerjerrod
8. Eldakkar - Iroquois (Agr, Com)

version : C3C 1.22
world size : Standard
land mass : custom
water coverage : custom
climate : custom
temperature : custom
barbarians : custom
available victories : all except Wonder
difficulty : Deity
preserve random seed : Yes
allow cultural conversions : Yes

map made by : Aggie

tweaks :
- Civs' traits have changed for some civs (see above), with starting techs matching the new traits.
- No Statue of Zeus nor Knights Templar.

This game will be played along the ISDG rules, with some tweaks to be completely defined (post in the other topic please !).

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE, AND HAVE SOME GREAT FUN !!! [goodjob]

P.S. : For better suggestions about the name of this game, please go on !! [blush]

Banzai
15-07-2004, 13:12
Yeah! lets rock!

Hmm.. a name for this game.. hmm.. what about 'Battleships'? ;)

Banzai!

Matrix
15-07-2004, 13:36
[eek] An 8-player game and I'm not in?? :( [cry]

anarres
15-07-2004, 13:42
You didn't post in the thread in the Opponents Finding Forum - it's been a couple of weeks in the making...

Matrix
15-07-2004, 14:19
Yep. Stupid me. [wallbash]

But have fun. ;) I won't read spoilers, so that I can replace anyone if necessary.

Beam
15-07-2004, 14:49
Might be a good idea to have the replacement players listed in the first post. Erikk will be replacing me when I'm away, very happy with that :)

Banzai
17-07-2004, 00:09
Played my first turn and sent it to Kemal :)
Unfortunately I have to announce that Portugal is Seafearing / expansionistic and not seafearing / industrious as I requested.
I will continue anyway and will make the best of my scout.

Banzai!

akots
17-07-2004, 00:29
So where do I send the save? Which I still have not received.

Edited: I guess I just post it here for someone to grab be it Aggie or Moff Jerjerrod.

Socrates
17-07-2004, 00:54
@ akots : You will receive a PM from Arghis about Moff's email.

@ Banzai : Well that sucks. [blush2] I could still live with replaying the turn, but maybe some other people couldn't. Dunno what Aggie has to say about it. I will continue if no one minds...

anarres
17-07-2004, 01:18
Lets replay. That would really suck, to lose one of the best traits for the worst one!

akots
17-07-2004, 06:37
I'd like to receive a list of all players with their e-mails just in case. Sometimes, when you meet somebody, it would be nice to make a deal right away. If this is impossible to do for some reason, don't mind. :)

Let's replay then, this is not fair IMO.

Aggie
17-07-2004, 07:44
Sorry banzai. My mistake :(

Banzai
17-07-2004, 07:51
Thanks guys, that would be nice.
Remember not to change your initial moves when you replay the turn.

Banzai
17-07-2004, 07:55
It's ok Aggie.. I forgive you.. :)
It is only a game!

Socrates
17-07-2004, 11:08
Just played and forwarded my (2nd) 1st turn to anarres. I did exactly the same than previously, and everything was the same (anyone said RNG ?).

akots
19-07-2004, 19:56
Hoped to play a couple of turns before the game dies. Apparently, I was so wrong in my expectations. ... :)

anarres
19-07-2004, 20:58
I sent the (2nd attempt) first turn to Beam on Sunday @ 9pm BST, which was only last night.

I didn't get to read my email from when Krys sent it on Sat night until last night since I was not in town...

Beam
19-07-2004, 21:06
I've sent it on to Banzai!

Banzai
19-07-2004, 21:32
Thanks Aggie for fixing!
It is with Kemal now :)

Aggie
20-07-2004, 07:42
[thumbsup]

Banzai
20-07-2004, 09:04
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/2004720809_groupwave.gif

http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/rockon.gif

I welcome you all for a fencing lesson in Casa Banzai! http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/200472082220_zwaargevecht.gif

Kemal
20-07-2004, 12:07
Nice ballad akots! [thumbsup]

The Inca capital-city of Urborg has been founded, the save should be with you now.

akots
20-07-2004, 19:23
Turn 1 received, played and sent to Moff.

Moff Jerjerrod
20-07-2004, 22:25
akots:

Please resend your turn. Apparantly your email was deleted by my spam blocker. Sorry! [blush]

akots
21-07-2004, 04:17
Turn re-sent. Just in case posting it here as well.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif Swimmingpool-AK-t1.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200472131719_Swimmingpool-AK-t1.zip)
66.78KB

Moff Jerjerrod
22-07-2004, 02:54
Turn sent to Eldakkar.....

Eldakkar
22-07-2004, 21:55
Moff you sent the wrong save. please resend.

Eldakkar
24-07-2004, 12:56
Hi all. I played the turn but it seems that my iro's are no longer agricultural. Instead they seem to be seafaring/commercial (curragh has 3 movement). I don't want that! I'd like to keep my agricultural trait.
I am very sorry if this stalls the game but I picked the iro's especially because they are agricultural. Aggie could you change this please?

Beam
24-07-2004, 13:59
Shit.

Socrates
24-07-2004, 18:02

Banzai
24-07-2004, 19:00
quote:Originally posted by Eldakkar

Hi all. I played the turn but it seems that my iro's are no longer agricultural. Instead they seem to be seafaring/commercial (curragh has 3 movement)

Well.. that sucks!
I wonder how you can see that a curragh has 3 movement as the civilopedia says it has 2 (even for seafearing civs!).
It is only possible to see it if you have one, which in turn one seems impossible to me. [???]

Are you sure you are not agricultural? Remember that you only get the food bonus in your city if you settle next to fresh water (lake or river)!

Banzai!

Kemal
24-07-2004, 20:10
quote:Originally posted by Banzai

Well.. that sucks!
I wonder how you can see that a curragh has 3 movement as the civilopedia says it has 2 (even for seafearing civs!).
It is only possible to see it if you have one, which in turn one seems impossible to me. [???]

Are you sure you are not agricultural? Remember that you only get the food bonus in your city if you settle next to fresh water (lake or river)!

Banzai!

Actually, it is not at all impossible to see your units movement in turn 1 because the build queue shows you the ADM rates of the units you wish to build, and this also, unlike the civilopedia, factors in any bonuses for your specific civilization, like the seafaring trait.

Aggie
24-07-2004, 21:01
He is agricultural (EDIT: seafaring) and I'm feeling very stupid now. Just say what you want and I will change it. I know one thing for sure. I will NEVER make a customised multiplayer map anymore. I will always lose/make blunders.

Banzai
24-07-2004, 22:05
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

Actually, it is not at all impossible to see your units movement in turn 1 because the build queue shows you the ADM rates of the units you wish to build, and this also, unlike the civilopedia, factors in any bonuses for your specific civilization, like the seafaring trait.

[wallbash]
You are absolutely right Kemal! Sorry Eldakkar!
[punch]

Banzai!

Eldakkar
25-07-2004, 10:36
Banzai: no problem

Aggie, don't feel stupid. Shit happens. I think it's great you go through all the trouble to provide us with a fine map. If you could change my iro's back to agricultural/commercial i'd be very happy.

Aggie
25-07-2004, 11:02
Here is try nr 3. Obviously I had to recreate the save.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif nonAIPBEMtry3, 3950 BC.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/20047251024_nonAIPBEMtry3, 3950 BC.SAV)
75.4KB

Socrates
25-07-2004, 12:43
Thanks Aggie. [coool] Turn 1 played and sent to anarres. I want to remind everyone that we have to replay the same moves and adjust the same settings on this turn. This to prevent people from using some knowledge from the first attempts to cheat. Thanks all.

And if we all could play as soon as we receive the save, the game would go a lot faster. I think that 2 turns per week, with vacations taken into account, is largely feasable inside this PBEM community.

Beam
25-07-2004, 13:06
Thanks a lot Aggie! Since everybody has seen the sav now we can definitely move with this one.

Something like a turntracker has been mentioned before and as krys stated a post per turn sent is overdone. We could have a dedicated thread however with one post for every player thats updated once the turn is moved on.

Comments, alternatives?

Socrates
25-07-2004, 13:25
I was thinking of something similar, Beam. I can open a topic in this sub-forum, where we'll each have ONE post (in the roster order of course). Each player will have to edit his post once the turn is sent. Since this forum displays the post editing as a "new" post (you know, pink thingie), everyone will be aware of the game pace. The only problem is if a there is a problem with the save (like it happened this very turn) ; but then the 2 concerned players will have to deal with it via mail, no need to alert everyone. Then, so as everything is clear, each player should edit his post once he has SUCCESSFULLY played and sent the turn.

Comments welcome, and if it's OK with you, I'll start it soon.

anarres
25-07-2004, 15:04
I see no reason not to just post a new one in the thread. Editing a post takes longer as well...

BTW, I just played and sent turn 1 to Beam, but I got a different result from popping a hut this time!

Beam
25-07-2004, 15:05
Sav to Banzai, got a different hut result as well.

Socrates
25-07-2004, 15:13
WTF ? I had the same result all 3 times ! [eek] Was the RNG changed with the new save(s) ? Did you all do the exact same moves, in the same order ? I'm a bit puzzled, but anyway I hope that you didn't profit from that. :( Oh, and thanks to make that game move. [coool]

Beam
25-07-2004, 15:30
I don't know what the root is for the RNG but it is contained in the biq/sav for sure. So if that is changed it isn't strange that the RNG starts with a different root.

Got a settler this time :) j/k

Arghis
25-07-2004, 20:53
hi all

how will we do to trace which turn /player is currently holding the game ?
we just put a msg in this thread ?

edit : i agree on just putting a msg here

Banzai
25-07-2004, 21:58
Sent to Kemal

Banzai!

Kemal
25-07-2004, 23:02
On to akots.

akots
26-07-2004, 00:53
Got and played. Posting the save file here since I cannot get the mail going to Moff's address.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif TheSwimmingPool-t1-AK.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/2004725235257_TheSwimmingPool-t1-AK.zip)
65.91KB

Moff Jerjerrod
26-07-2004, 12:01
akots:

I'm not sure why but I never received your email. I have been monitoring it closely and my alloted storage space is no where near full. I'm not sure what is happening but thank you for posting the save here. playing turn now! [goodjob]

Eldakkar
26-07-2004, 18:26
received the turn, will play tonight

Socrates
27-07-2004, 00:27
At last I played turn 2 ! :) Do you all agree on naming the saves in the same way than me, to avoid future confusion ? I name them like this :
SwimmingPool-001a.SAV [for turn 1]
Then player #2 would put a "b" at the end, etc... until player #8 who'd put an "h". Sounds like something to do ? I'm also gonna start a topic for the roster ; I think that editing our single post could be easier for the eyes. Anyway we have an entire turn to decide this.

On a sidenote : only ONE player decided not to settle on turn 1 : akots ! May luck be with you ! :)

akots
27-07-2004, 00:43
I've just finished playing COTM2 at CFC as Dutch and had to move the starting settler for 6 turns settling the first city in 3700BC. Well, it paid off in the end to some extent. But the move was pretty obvious IMO in this game for my starting position.

Socrates
27-07-2004, 01:13
quote:Originally posted by akots

But the move was pretty obvious IMO in this game for my starting position.

You're speaking of the COTM2 here, right ? Yup, I lurked some spoilers, and it was incredible to see many players settling sooo late, but in the middle of the starting island. SirPleb (amongst others) once again explained this very precisely. :) Add to that the COTM1, with such a start too. And maybe the new COTM3, with again a rather poor starting position...

What I can tell is that you're one who isn't afraid of moving the settler several times if you feel like it (twice in our no-AI 1v1 game ;) ). That's cool for you, because I for one am always scared to do so.

Aggie
27-07-2004, 07:33
You made it, you played turn 2. I'm so happy [cry]

Arghis
28-07-2004, 00:13
i'm back !!! ahahah

edit : no prob chris [cool]. i'm really impatient to begin discussing serious matter (ah, to trade or not to trade, aah timeo Danaos et dona ferentes, aaah si vis pacem para bellum aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Socrates
28-07-2004, 00:23
Cool... and you got a PM. So you only missed turn 1.

I'd like to keep this topic for things about the game itself (ie. what happens in our swimming pool). Everything related to the game but not the GAME itself (ie. vacations, saves, problems...) should be written in your unique post in that other topic. do you think it's feasable ? :)

Aggie
29-07-2004, 22:12
I have seen no spoilers [cry] It would be nice for us lurkers to see what decisions you make in the early part of the game.

Socrates
30-07-2004, 00:25
Hey, dear Aggie, we've just started !! [blush] I promise to update my spoiler from time to time, but I don't want to do it now. Maybe later when I'll have more to say... I'll talk about the very early turns of course. Don't worry. :D

And I see Arghis has started his spoiler... Arghis, you should write the "SPOILER" mention in your thread's title (and why not "The Swimming Pool" too, so that every player knows which game it is). I remind to everyone that it wouldn't be correct to lurk spoilers and become replacement players afterwards. [nono]

Arghis
30-07-2004, 00:40
sorry Krys, it's corrected.

@Aggie, well, for now there are few things to say. i put a shot for you; at least, you'll see what i see.

akots
30-07-2004, 00:55
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

It would be nice for us lurkers to see what decisions you make in the early part of the game.

I would not dare to call you a lurker. The setup of my starting location was rather puzzling but thanks to the mighty help of Carthagian Gods, we have overcome these extra set of obstacles.

Thanks for the map. It has just started but looks very promising and intriguing. :)

akots
02-08-2004, 23:31
I have updated finally the Swimming Contest Ballad here (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1920) and deleted the original in this thread.

Arghis
03-08-2004, 12:16
tell me if i'm wrong, but if i remember well, no one has talked about plague disaster for this scenario ? So, has plague option been activated ?[???]

ok, i'm a bit late on this. but i'd like to know

Aggie
03-08-2004, 13:24
Not that I know Arghis. Why do you ask? Don't tell me you got the plague [eek]

Socrates
03-08-2004, 13:44
I have never seen a plague disaster in C3C for the simple reason that it's off by default, and I've never changed it (nor played the conquests where it is on by default). So I suspect that it's still off here, I don't see why it shouldn't be the case. And I think that plague occurs only when the city has grown up a little, which isn't the case as well now.

Arghis
03-08-2004, 15:34
oh well, it was just pure curiosity.

i was thinking to all the reason why civ3 is boring me, sometimes. The main one is the IA, of course; others are the lack of details / variation / depth. SGL, plagues, templars, & co, were in my opinion great addition. Volcanoes too, but i regret the absence of tornadoes or tsunami or earthquake for instance.

There is the global warming effect, yes, it's true, but as far as i've seen, it's a bit light. There's also ressources exhaustion.
yes, but in the long run, it's a bit always the same ...

Aggie
03-08-2004, 15:58
No it isn't! This map is dynamite [rant]

Arghis
03-08-2004, 16:01
hmm, have i said something wrong ? i was not talking about your work, Aggie, but about the game limits. i'm working on a mod for Civ3, and i'm in charge of the map, so i know what it is to work with the editor.

Aggie
03-08-2004, 16:49
Hmmm, I obviously forgot the 'j/k' part in my reply. Don't worry. I'm not easily offended and certainly wasn't now ;).

Matrix
04-08-2004, 16:46
You could use this turn tracker (http://www.straland.com/turntracker/) thing now if you like, instead of the roster thread. Up to you to decide what's easiest. :)

Socrates
04-08-2004, 20:27
Mmmh, interesting idea. How does it work ? You just play the turn, go to that page, and submit a "I have played the turn" ? Is your website working at any time and well ? I'll wait for your answers and other people's input.

Arghis
04-08-2004, 20:43
for me it s ok

Matrix
04-08-2004, 20:48
There's one line on that page that says it: Choose the right game ("Swimming Pool" in this case), choose your nickname in the second drop-down menu, and enter the date of the savegame (e.g. 3050 BC). Then press submit. And then it's added. Anyone can go to that page to see where the savegame is, without having to ask. :)

anarres
04-08-2004, 22:12
I like it!!!! It looks REALLY cool, and I will play and enter my turn now...

Socrates
05-08-2004, 13:52
Beam is leaving for a month, but will be able to play at some points during that time. I suggest we waited for him to play, as maybe some other guys will be out too. Or if anyone don't want to lose time, ERIKK, replacement player for Beam, can take the Hittites.

Banzai
05-08-2004, 14:28
We continued when Arghis was out, so I do not see the reason why we should wait now. Besides.. this is why we have replacement players.
If it is possible to continue I would prefer to do so.

Banzai!

anarres
05-08-2004, 14:31
Also the moves should not require too much decision making, I see no problem in continuing...

Socrates
05-08-2004, 14:46
I think the decision belongs to Beam, and I hope he will tell us before he leaves. Of course there isn't much to do now, but later it will be different. I myself would like to play all my turns when I'm away (not too long), so that's why I'm asking. I have no problem with continuing, and won't bother much if we stop.

anarres
25-08-2004, 13:22
Umm, I just accidentally clicked on someones spoiler thread. I am very sorry - I did it when opening about 20 threads at the same time. :(

As soon as I flipped on the the page and read the title I closed it, I didn't see or read anything. I don't actually know whose thread it was either...

Beam
25-08-2004, 13:28
No prob.

Just how do you open 20 threads at the same time [confused]

anarres
25-08-2004, 14:07
Go to active topics and hold the right shift key down while I click the threads with my left hand. OK, not at the same time, but within about 20 seconds. ;)

Banzai
25-08-2004, 14:32
That was probably my spoiler as it was updated recently.
No problem anarres... just don't do it again :)

Banzai!

anarres
25-08-2004, 15:51
Yeah, well I wouldn't have done it the first time if I had my wits about me... [wallbash]

Socrates
01-09-2004, 12:03
It looks like this game isn't moving at the speed it should. [ponder] Does everyone try to play his turn as soon as possible ? Sometimes one turn is played within 24 hours, but other times it takes several days, so I'm wondering what's happening. BTW it isn't worth worrying about some players' vacations if we don't play quickly when everyone is here.

Any feedback ?

Banzai
01-09-2004, 12:46
When I look at the turn tracker, Eldakkar played turn 12 on august 28.
If that is true than the turn is with you for 4 days now..

Arghis
01-09-2004, 12:47
i play my turn immediatly after receiving it, so ...

Socrates
01-09-2004, 14:13
Well, I played turn 13 on August 29 (just after midnight) and sent it to anarres. I've just realized that I didn't update the roster topic (still easier to use than Matrix's page). Maybe that was due to CDZ being down and then I forgot ? In any case anarres should have received an email from me on August 29.

anarres
01-09-2004, 14:40
I will check tonight, but I am almost certain I sent this on.

akots
01-09-2004, 18:05
There is actually another thing besides some people take time playing their turn. :)

I always receive a save from Kemal early morning which I'm obviously unable to play immediately. This results in my turn taking at least 20 hours for the game movement and usually more than 24 hours starting from Banzai and arriving to Arghis whereas it could be less than 10 hours if Kemal e-mails me the turn somewhat earlier (late night GMT, afternoon US Central).

Kemal
01-09-2004, 18:37
Usually I play the turn as soon as possible, as I have access to C3C throughout the day most of the time.. but I'll keep it in mind akots. :)

anarres
12-09-2004, 21:58
Can everyone please post their email here, I seem to be missing one or two.

Mine is anarres AT civ3duelzone DOT com

Socrates
12-09-2004, 22:09
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Can everyone please post their email here, I seem to be missing one or two.

Mine is anarres AT civ3duelzone DOT com

Have you found someone ? [why don't we have a groucho smiley here ?] You could have asked it by PM ? Hehehe... I don't need to give mine because I'm the one who sends you the save every turn.

Banzai
12-09-2004, 22:37
I'm sure you already have mine.. but here it is again: sander_asman AT yahoo DOT com

Arghis
12-09-2004, 22:48
mine is --- mail deleted ---

akots
13-09-2004, 02:12
akots AT mail.ru

Socrates
15-09-2004, 20:44
I checked the tech cost in our game, because some people found a bug in C3C : the program doesn't know how to interpret custom-size maps, and so the tech pace and the OCN is messed up. [crazyeye] The tech costs are conformed to the Standard size of the map, so there is no problem.

Just to be sure ! [blush]

Banzai
07-10-2004, 09:46
Hey guys..
Are there problems with the save?
I have not seen it for a while, and according to the roster it is with Eldakkar for several days now.
Something wrong Gos?

Socrates
07-10-2004, 11:03
Eldakkar can only play tomorrow morning. I hope there won't be much more delay than that in the future. [blush2]

About my latest post in this topic : according to my testing, we should all get the FP popup one turn after founding the 10th city. Which is a few turns ahead of me now... (now, how much is "a few" ? [tongue] )

Banzai
11-10-2004, 11:56
[sleep]

Come on guys.. Does it really need to take more than a full week to make one round?

Banzai!

anarres
12-11-2004, 02:29
I can't send email from home atm, so here is the save for Beam:

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif SwimmingPool-037b.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/2004111212843_SwimmingPool-037b.SAV)
97.49KB

Banzai
19-11-2004, 19:17
I did not know that the foreign advisor could be so funny...
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/banzai/20041119181512_dumb.jpg
15.15KB
[rotfl]

Hi Krys [wavey]

Banzai!

Socrates
19-11-2004, 20:30
Pfff I'm sure it's a fake. [blush2] Well, think what you want. Does this mean you played turn 40 ? If not, then get your ass on the game !!

anarres
03-12-2004, 14:17
It's a day since I played and sent via turntracker. Please confirm it was recieved beam. :)

Banzai
03-12-2004, 14:22
Don't worry Dan.. the game is with me now!

Socrates
05-12-2004, 02:17
Something occurred to me as I was playing my turn tonight, but I could have noticed it many turns ago. [blush] Not even some kind of spoiler there, but it seems Arghis's island lack one tile, compared to others !!! [eek] A land tile is missing and is replaced with a coast tile. Could it be a slight mistake made by Aggie, or was it done on purpose ? From my point of view it's a mistake, but maybe I lack some elements to have a real clue. Any opinion anyone ?

Arghis
05-12-2004, 13:00
Do you have counted the number of tile ?

Banzai
27-12-2004, 12:44
Can we continue playing this game? I have not seen a save for more than a week.

Banzai!

Arghis
27-12-2004, 16:08
yes it would be great; i've updated the roster, to clear position

Kemal
27-12-2004, 17:19
Hmm, looking at the turn tracker it should be with Beam now?

I suppose krys won't be able to play for a week anyway, unfortunately.

anarres
29-12-2004, 18:24
I think I sent 50b on the 24th to beam, but I resent today just in case.

Socrates
02-01-2005, 10:52
Yo guys, I'm back this morning. Weird to resume typing on a keyboard after using ski sticks in hands for a week. [goodjob] I haven't received a single save since I left, Swimming Pool or PBEM vs Paali. Please play. :)

Eldakkar
09-01-2005, 10:09
According to the turn tracker, the save is with Arghis, but he told me he hasn't received it from Akots. I'd like to get this game going again. Could one of you please play and send the save?

akots
09-01-2005, 10:30
I have certainly sent the turn and rather long time ago. Will re-send it then.
quote:Status:
Sending successful to blhoyez at inzebox.com
Attachment status
PoolOfDeath-051arghis.SAV
Filesize: 106 Kb | Filetype :application/octet-stream
Appended: 09-01-2005 09:31:24 - akots - 51
Back (You might need to refresh the next page to see your addition.)
You will be redirected to the starting page in 5 seconds

Sort of receipt [lol]

Socrates
09-01-2005, 13:04
Guys, as you might sense (maybe), I won't be harrassing anyone more again for such issues. If people don't want to play or don't do the necessary to send the save with certainty, then I can't do much. But in order to get the game going without problems and without harrassing everyone all the time, there is one simple solution : the roster thread. Half the players have already clearly quited with updating it, what can I do ? :( The best would be if everyone updated it regularly and quickly after playing. Otherwise it leads to confusion, just like the past week. If everyone wants this game to go smooth, then everyone should be willing to minimize the risk of confusion. As a last word, that is becoming a motto for me (cf. "Fight Club") : "You choose your level of involvement."

Thanks for reading. :)

Arghis
09-01-2005, 13:09
i've received it this morning ... Usually, i play as fast as i have the save ...

akots
09-01-2005, 13:26
As the turn tracker shows I have sent it twice and first time on January 4th with the same result as on January 9th. :)

anarres
09-01-2005, 17:25
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

...As a last word, that is becoming a motto for me (cf. "Fight Club") : "You choose your level of involvement."[lol] Is this not just what we do at CDZ anyway? ;)

Socrates
09-01-2005, 18:00

...As a last word, that is becoming a motto for me (cf. "Fight Club") : "You choose your level of involvement."[lol] Is this not just what we do at CDZ anyway? ;)

Exactly, but I wanted to do more than wanted to make sure everything was more than fair. Obviously this task for me is over. :) But you're right, and now I will do what everyone does, and I'm happy with that, since you see it conforms to what I wanted.
Unfortunately things won't be as quick as before now.

Kemal
15-01-2005, 15:45
Just spoke to anarres and banzai, and it seems the turn is with beam atm... did you get it beam? :)

Socrates
15-01-2005, 15:57

Just spoke to anarres and banzai, and it seems the turn is with beam atm... did you get it beam? :)

OK, a bit arrogant of myself, but re-read the last sentence in my post just above. :( No need to be a prophet to know it.

Beam
15-01-2005, 16:43
Got it, it came in around the time my pc crashed and I missed it entirely. Apo's.

Banzai
24-01-2005, 17:15
I have not seen a save since 15 Jan 2005. Thats almost 10 days ago.
Please play!

Beam
24-01-2005, 21:12
Banzai, I've send it to your yahoo account on the 15th. Please say if you did not receive it there.

Banzai
24-01-2005, 21:56
I got that one (turn 53) but I have not recieved a turn since.

Beam
24-01-2005, 23:11
So where is the sav atm?

Banzai
25-01-2005, 10:39
According to the roster it is with Anarres.

anarres
25-01-2005, 13:06
Just because only 2 people use TT doesn't mean it's always with me!

I am 99% sure I played it when I got it (if I ever did!). I can't check now for 8 hours, but I suggest EVERYONE else also checks if possible.

Socrates
25-01-2005, 14:38
As the roster topic shows, I sent turn 54 to anarres more than a week ago. I checked it several times, and I can assure you I sent it and got no error afterwards. But this post is a bit useless since I always update my post over there (that's what it is meant for). [goodjob]

akots
25-01-2005, 17:11
Unless everyone uses turntracker from Matrix, the game will eventually die or will turn into another DDPP or whatever is the longest game ever. There are just too many players and a few of those consistently "sit" on the game using the inability of others to track them as a cover. [evil]

!!Use the turntracker!!

anarres
25-01-2005, 17:57
ok, when i get home i will triple-check, but can everyone else confirm when they last played too? Why hasn't anyone apart from krys posted when they last played?????

digger760
25-01-2005, 18:02

Unless everyone uses turntracker from Matrix, the game will eventually die or will turn into another DDPP or whatever is the longest game ever. There are just too many players and a few of those consistently "sit" on the game using the inability of others to track them as a cover. [evil]

!!Use the turntracker!!

I can't agree more. I have talked/pushed most people in the 8 player to use the turn tracker. I can now target my harassment campaign to just a few individuals instead of sifting through confusion created by group emails or threads trying to chase the sav. (If you think you have been overly targetted by me to play the sav...rest at ease i have hassled everybody, in equal measures over the years[king])

Kemal
25-01-2005, 18:08
It seems to me all previous turns have been updated correctly in the roster topic, that should be clear enough with regard to when people have played the last turn I feel.

anarres
25-01-2005, 18:45
well, maybe I'm not looking at the same turn tracker as others...
quote:16-01-2005 14:28:45 - Arghis - Arghis
16-01-2005 05:42:41 - akots - 53
11-01-2005 02:11:48 - akots - 52
09-01-2005 09:31:24 - akots - 51
04-01-2005 16:15:09 - akots - 51
02-01-2005 00:49:00 - Arghis - 50
01-01-2005 23:17:53 - akots - 50
21-12-2004 08:52:06 - akots - 49
13-12-2004 23:19:21 - akots - 48
11-12-2004 20:07:25 - anarres - 48
11-12-2004 20:05:33 - anarres - 48
05-12-2004 07:59:35 - anarres - 46
02-12-2004 17:49:28 - anarres - 45
01-12-2004 19:01:13 - anarres - 44
30-11-2004 10:25:33 - anarres - 42
23-11-2004 18:38:24 - anarres - 41

akots
25-01-2005, 18:54
@Anarres: Since krys has played t54, it is apparently with you. :)

Kemal
25-01-2005, 18:55
The turn tracker isn't used much for the SP, agreed... but I think that is because of the roster topic actually, which all have used for the last turn, and which indicates just as well where the turn has stopped as the turn tracker would, if updated correctly. :)

akots
25-01-2005, 18:58
Advantage of turn tracker is that it automatically shows where the game is. No need to update anything. Looks like this automatic feature is critical for tracking the save.

anarres
25-01-2005, 21:49
So....

I checked and I got the game on the 16th, and played and sent on the 16th. Beam, check your mail!

FWIW I have not held this game at all recently, I have been a model player in every way. [:p][:p][:p][:p]

Beam
25-01-2005, 21:56
Which e-mail did you send it to? I haven't been able to access my cdz account for a while.

Beam
26-01-2005, 02:05
Today adsl was up and running again and I could connect the desktop to the mailservers.

Found the sav in my CDZ inbox so no need to resend it.

anarres
26-01-2005, 02:06
Yep, I sent to there. Resent to siebe _AT_ haagsma _dot_ biz.

Can you ask matrix to change this in turn tracker too?

Beam
26-01-2005, 02:19
Crosspost ;) No need to change the turntracker :)

Banzai
01-02-2005, 17:45
Anyone knows where Arghis is?
According to the Turn tracker and the roster the save is with him, but he has not been online since 26 January..

Socrates
01-02-2005, 18:23
The only thing I know is that Arghis posted in the WWII scenario thread that he won't be able to restart a game like this (WWII scenario) before February 10. Whether it means he's away until then or not is still a question, but it is starting to be clear now. :(

Arghis
02-02-2005, 12:40
hi all, sorry for the delay, my computer was bugged by a virus, and i'm not at home these times, so it was a pain to reinstall everything ...

Arghis
04-02-2005, 15:30
hi

is everything ok for the save ? i've used turn tracker and put a copy in the roster thread.

anarres
04-02-2005, 16:09
I don't have it yet, so it's with krys.

Eldakkar
04-02-2005, 16:50
I think my mailaddress in the turntracker is incorrect, and I cannot get it from the forum, so Arghis, could you please resend?

anarres
04-02-2005, 17:15
Still not made it to you Eldakkar? [:o]

digger760
04-02-2005, 17:34
quote:Originally posted by Eldakkar

I think my mailaddress in the turntracker is incorrect, and I cannot get it from the forum, so Arghis, could you please resend?

out of boredom...i checked the turn tracker source and the address its going to is: [EDIT obscure email address removed for spam prevention reasons]

Arghis
05-02-2005, 01:52
ok i'ts done.

N.B. : i used your hotmail adress, as i've not the other one. the file is zipped.

Arghis
05-02-2005, 01:59
perhaps it's better like this

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif Arghis-of-the-Vikings-1650-BC.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/2005251053_Arghis-of-the-Vikings-1650-BC.zip)
98.87KB

Arghis
05-02-2005, 02:03
i've uploaded it on my site so u can also try this link if needed : http://arghis.free.fr/cdz-witp/download.php?lng=en

i like having a working computer :-)

anarres
07-02-2005, 13:03
Bear with me, I have no internet at home atm. [sad]

Hopefully it will be back tomorrow, when they come to "fix" it (I have little faith...).

Beam
07-02-2005, 15:50
Anar, can you please remove my e-mail address from 26 jan? I already have an e-mail address where penis enlargement offers come and I'm certainly not looking forward for another one (the e-mail address I mean ;) )

akots
15-02-2005, 22:45
@Kemal: Please resend turn 55, I have not received it. It might be a mail delay or that the turntracker was down for some timež

Edited: Never mind, it came OK, just probably some mail delay.

Eldakkar
21-02-2005, 08:36
@arghis I haven't received turn 55. Can you resend please?

anarres
24-02-2005, 03:15
Where is it? Did you ever get it Eldakkar?

anarres
24-02-2005, 13:48
[shout] Hellooooooooo!!!!!!!

Arghis
24-02-2005, 15:20
hi ; i've resend turn 55 with turn tracker (... Sending successful to gegsem AT yahoo.com
...)

Arghis
24-02-2005, 15:22
and i've also send one by mail to gegsem AT yahoo.com ; internet access is still very difficult for me, because of some non understandable technical prob with my ISP ... sorry guys ... :-(

Arghis
24-02-2005, 15:26
you can also get it here : http://arghis.free.fr/cdz-witp/download.php?lng=en

Kemal
24-02-2005, 15:30
Hmm, perhaps arghis or anarres should edit those posts for spam-control?

anarres
24-02-2005, 17:14
Do you really care?

Strange you post abotu that but not the save... [crazyeye]

Kemal
24-02-2005, 18:01

Do you really care?

Thanks for the helpful and constructive comment, oh friendly-as-always-CDZ-admin, and nice to see you obviously do not. [rolleyes]

FYI, I was aware of Arghis's internet problems, and the location of the SP-save...

Eldakkar
24-02-2005, 19:02
hi! Arghis can you please edit your post, because i don't want this mail-address to be known all across the internet.

Thanks in advance

Thanks kemal for noticing that.

You have the rights to do that don't you anarres? Was it that much trouble to edit the e-mail address?

anarres
24-02-2005, 19:29
I'm gonna try to do this without being sarcastic or coarse, but I have to admit I am very wound up today...

Hmm, perhaps arghis or anarres should edit those posts for spam-control?
I am very sorry, but the words "edit those posts for spam-control" read to me as "merge these posts in to one because Arghis multi-posted".

This led to my (IMO perfectly valid) response of:

Do you really care?

I was essentially saying: "why are you complainging about spamming the forum (an issue you shouldn't care about), when you should be asking where the save is".

Even if I was trying to ignore the fact Eldakkar's email was in Arghis' post I hardly think your snub of me is appropriate. I would not use that smiley *at* you, EVER. Consider that please. [sad]

FYI, I find "FYI" quite patronising too in this context. :(

anarres
24-02-2005, 19:30
And of course as soon as I understood I edited Arghis' posts. :)

Eldakkar
24-02-2005, 19:32
Thanks for editing the post anarres! Obviously you misunderstood each other posts. Things like that happen. Btw playing right now. barb horsies suck.

Kemal
24-02-2005, 19:35
Okay, please don't take the smilie as an offensive gesture, I was indeed aiming at removing the email address from the posts, and was (also validly, if you read my original post as I meant it that is) wondering why you replied to my post without fixing the arghis posts, but obviously I worded it very poorly. :(

Just a case of misunderstanding here, and didn't know you had so much problems with the [rolleyes] smilie, again it was not meant the way I think you are interpreting it.

We both had a rough day I guess, again, sorry to have offended you. :)

anarres
24-02-2005, 19:39
In that case I suggest you read my PM remembering that I wrote it 10 minutes ago. :) [lol] [cry]

anarres
24-02-2005, 19:45
Just to be 100% clear here Kemal: It's not the smiley at all, it's the context.

I use it at CFC to say to people I don't like "god you are so bad". It generally means I have ZERO respect for the poster I am using it *at*.

When I use it in posts to people I like it is often ironic, or used to extress extreme distaste for a particular thing I am talking about.

It just seemed to be personal, so I'm sorry for misinterpreting.

Kemal
24-02-2005, 19:45
I just did... lets put it this way, I won't use that smilie again, that's for sure, we misunderstood each other, lets just forget the whole thing and carry on with the SP. :)

anarres
24-02-2005, 19:52
Shit, all because of a smiley. [lol]

Please don't stop using it Kemal, I'll just grow some thicker skin. :)

Melifluous
24-02-2005, 20:23
Handbags at dawn.

[rolleyes][:p]

Melifluous

Pastorius
24-02-2005, 20:42
I m with Meli

*gets an I m with st00pid t-shirt

akots
24-02-2005, 21:42
How's about this game starts moving finally? Not meaning any offense to anyone but it has been in the process of dying since Christmas and only 3 turns were played iirc. Importance of spam control and smileys are not to be underestimated either but if the players would divert their energies to the game, it would have been a better choice under this particular circumstance. It is just very annoying that for some people who never posted anything about their ISP problems (unlike Arghis or Anarres did) it still takes considerable time to play the turn. And still trying to avoid the turntracker like it is not known who is sitting on the game. I'm still puzzled as to what might be the reason of sitting on it for so long. There is no dino egg coming out in any case.

akots
24-02-2005, 21:44
@Anarres: A reminder: You need to play SGOTM today and finish with your turns!!!!! [Whatever is the most annoying smiley]

Pastorius
24-02-2005, 21:47
What came first, the dino egg or the dino [crazyeye]

Norwegian newspapers report that the chicken was not available for a comment, but she was heard to mutter: "damn fossils always have to brag". The egg just lay there silently

anarres
25-02-2005, 01:33
akots, you are a hard man. I worked 11 hourse yesterday and spent my only 2 free hours playing the game. Tonight I've just spent 3 hours finishing it off, and didn't come here until I had finished. :)

anarres
25-02-2005, 01:41
And now I just played this one...

akots
25-02-2005, 01:56
@Anarres: So, you should feel a great satisfaction with this heroic accomplishement!!! But 11 hours is tough. Hope next time your turns fall on weekend. In any case, it is always possible to ask for a swap, nobody wants you to suffer. BTW, did you use MapStat? May be time to turn it on? Since 5 hours for 10 turns only in the beginning of the game is a lot.

anarres
25-02-2005, 02:23
I used mapstat all the time in this game, I was just trying to get my head around the game and do the best I could. I also took 40 mins tonight to cook and eat dinner, and yesterday I did the same, so it's only 4 hours. ;)

Eldakkar
25-02-2005, 07:55
Pardon my ignorance, but what does mapstat do again?

anarres
25-02-2005, 12:09
It tells you which civs have what to trade, and also tells you which cities will riot next turn.

Lt. Killer M
25-02-2005, 12:44
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Anar, can you please remove my e-mail address from 26 jan? I already have an e-mail address where penis enlargement offers come and I'm certainly not looking forward for another one (the e-mail address I mean ;) )

can't resist:
[bump][bump][bump]

anarres
25-02-2005, 13:00
Whoops. Removed.

Lt. Killer M
25-02-2005, 13:03
wow, our admin sure is fast today [thumbsup]

Melifluous
25-02-2005, 13:13

It tells you which civs have what to trade, and also tells you which cities will riot next turn.

This is what I wanted in Civ3 anyways, maybe with the Civ communiry making this util it will definately be in Civ4. If trading is not considered an unfun element and removed that is [rolleyes]

Is the use of this allowed in the SGOTM?

Sounds cool if it is and would be handy to use for SP games if it aint...

Melifluous

anarres
25-02-2005, 13:46
It is approved for GotM so I assumed it is fine for SGotM...

Melifluous
25-02-2005, 13:47
Thanks man.

Hope you are having a nice day today, still snowing in Central London!

Snowman time.

Melifluous

anarres
25-02-2005, 14:00
Shit. We've had (almost) constant snow for 2 days but none has settled. [sad]

Anyway Killer I'm off for the rest of the day now on a company seminar. Free food and listening to the CEO wax lyrical. [sleep]

Eldakkar
16-03-2005, 07:43
Arghis pmed me that his internet is back online, but that ne needs the turn resent. Akots can uou please resend? Maybe we can get back to a decent speed in this game now :)

Banzai
19-04-2005, 14:11
Anyone knows where the save is? I've not seen it for more than a week :(

Socrates
19-04-2005, 17:21
I don't get it. The first dozens of turns were good, and then everyone decided to delay the pace... I don't get it. The 1st thing I do when I get the save is playing it ; it takes me 15 minutes (average), and that's it. I know people have a life (I also have one, which prevents me from playing at work all week), so that means delays, but at first we were able to play 2 or 3 turns a week.

Come on people, there's no point in playing a game at this pace, I'm seriously losing interest in it. :(

anarres
20-04-2005, 17:39
Well, it was me. I can't apologise enough but I was sure I played and sent it when it came in (it was marked as such). [blush]

Aggie
21-04-2005, 09:18
quote:Come on people, there's no point in playing a game at this pace, I'm seriously losing interest in it. :(

[:o] [aargh] [cry] [scared2] [sad] [wallbash] [help] [mad2]

[slap] @ krys

[nono]

Banzai
02-05-2005, 20:18
quote:Originally posted by Banzai

Anyone knows where the save is? I've not seen it for more than a week :(

Socrates
03-05-2005, 01:11
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

quote:Come on people, there's no point in playing a game at this pace, I'm seriously losing interest in it. :(

[:o] [aargh] [cry] [scared2] [sad] [wallbash] [help] [mad2]

[slap] @ krys

[nono]

Aggie slapped my face on my 25th birthday !!! [eek] But you see, Aggie, should I be the one to blame if I say I'm losing interest in a slooow game ? I always play asap, even when I'm not in mood to play or when I had a bad day.

The interest is going so down these days that I can't really remember when I last played... unless if I check the roster thread of course. Is this why I'm currently getting (a bit ! not too much !) bored of CDZ, or is it the other way round (or is it something else ?), I don't know. Should I care ? [blush2]

Aggie
03-05-2005, 10:32
One of the reasons to stop making (multiplayer) maps is exactly what is happening here it seems. I put a lot of effort (a lot!! - including two vital mistakes which kept you waiting, making the agony even worse) in the map and I am almost 100% sure that they won't be played to a finish anyway :( Krys, I was not blaming you at all, but putting a ;)at the end of such a post is insulting your intelligence, isn't it ;)

Oh and a belated happy birthday to you [party]

Socrates
03-05-2005, 10:48
Two vital mistakes awaiting us ??? [eek] I'm not sure what you mean. Is there a secret we don't know yet and will kill this game anyway ? Or have these mistakes already be revealed ?

[hmm] [eek] [hmm]

Aggie
03-05-2005, 10:49
These mistakes kept you waiting at the start!!

Socrates
03-05-2005, 11:02
So you say that two mistakes were present at the start. Could you have avoided them when creating the starting file ? Is it still impossible for us to know what they are (too early), or is it possible ? Have I already seen them, according to my spoiler (PM me this answer if you want) ?

I don't get it !!! [cry]

Aggie
03-05-2005, 11:14
It is a long time ago I know, but then again the info is in THIS thread :) You twice had to restart because of my mistakes in the set up!

Just to be clear: afaik everything is OK now!

Socrates
03-05-2005, 11:32
Ah I see now, you were talking about the 2 restarts in July 2004, but now everything is fine now. :) I was thinking there was a fatal mistake which would kill the game at some point, like in that Atlantis Civ2 scenario where a volcano next to your capital would end the game by erupting. [lol]

Still, I can't be asked to keep my motivation high up if I only play 15 minutes every 15 days. :( One good thing in a PBEM is when you open up a save and know what to expect (city improvements' completion, techs' completion, cities about to be found, etc...). In this game I always have forgotten such stuff. There must be some players keeping the save for several days all the time, otherwise I don't see how this is possible... all the more as we were able to play 1 turn every 2 or 3 days in autumn.

I guess this post will be useless once again. [blush2]

Arghis
05-05-2005, 17:50
Try to see the problem from a positive angle; when you received the save, you have to remember - verify everything you were planning, and thus your playtime easily doubles. And so theorically playing 15 mn every 15 days is a bit like playing 8 mn every 8 days. :-)

anarres
05-05-2005, 18:15
I've been terrible recently, but I think I've got the hang of it again.

Banzai
09-05-2005, 20:05
The game will be delayed (unless I recieve the save tonight) for another week as I will be on holiday from May 11th till 18th.

Banzai!

Socrates
09-05-2005, 21:11
I think I'm gonna stop this game. [blush2]

Socrates
23-05-2005, 21:19

I think I'm gonna stop this game. [blush2]

I've just received the save, 4 weeks after the last one. I'm making an announcement : I'm searching for someone to take over my Byzantine civ in the Swimming Pool. The game itself is quite interesting, but the pace is completely dead, which has now really taken my motivation away. Sorry Aggie, but at this pace we're playing 12 turns a year, so it's not like I'll miss much. [blush2] I'll continue to play my turns nonetheless until I find someone who I can tell everything about the game (if only I can remember where I am).

Beam
23-05-2005, 21:57
Not sure if this way of dealing with the slowness will really speed things up, instead look what we can do to maintain the pace! Also condider that I was busy sailing and Banzai was on holiday directly after that which explains about 2 weeks of the 4-week delay. Turns don't require a lot of time atm and if people a) check and play their inbox regularly and play straight after receipt and b) clearly indicate when they're away (I've been a heavy offender in that area [blush2] ) there shouldn't be much of an issue imo.

Matrix
27-05-2005, 13:49
Krys, I could replace you if you like. :) I've read no spoiler for this purpose.

anarres
27-05-2005, 16:34
I'm really disappointed for you krys if you give up. [sad]

FWIW I got the save last night and I can play when I get home from work today...

Beam
27-05-2005, 18:53
I can play tonight as well. :)

anarres
27-05-2005, 19:18
Well you have to wait until at *least* 7pm BST, if not an hour after that...

Socrates
27-05-2005, 20:48
Just so that you understand better, I don't wanna end it because I want to end it, but because I can't stand playing one turn every other week (and sometimes it was more !). It completely destroys the pace of the game for me, ie. I don't care if I lose... We have already proved that one whole turn can be played in 48 hours, just like the latest one (I played one day after I got it (was feeling disappointed of the whole thing)). And another reason which is the consequence : at the current pace, we will end the game when Civ6 is out, I don't want that, and would prefer to end the game instead of moving 3 units every month for years to come. I think it's completely logical.

Don't know if it's another consequence or just another independent thing, but I rarely play Civ these days, concentrating on other hobbies... and I've just finished a 12-day working session. Basically I didn't have a private life these days. Getting a 2nd session of the like starting on Monday. [eek]

@ Matrix : noted. If things don't get faster and stay fast for a long time to come, I'll give my Byzies to you.

Beam
27-05-2005, 23:55
22:50 Dutch Summertime, 21:50 British Summertime. Still [ponder] [ponder] about that worker anar? ;)

anarres
28-05-2005, 02:03
sent now, was losing some cash at poker...

Arghis
28-05-2005, 20:04
Hey, Kris, don't desesperate !

With a bit of luck, we will perhaps be able to import civ3 saves in civ6 ...

[:o)]

Pastorius
28-05-2005, 20:13
@Matrix: with the pace of this game, there are hardly anything to spoil anyone with [:p] [fdevil]

akots
28-05-2005, 20:23
If we can get to turn 100 by the end of the summer, that would be OK. Games with 8 players are extremely slow. Four is a reasonable number. More than that and it is usually stuck even with dedicated players. Just don't sit on it, use the turntracker.

Yes, and posting the spoilers is a [nono] imho, since we might need a replacement.

Beam
29-05-2005, 13:58
quote:Yes, and posting the spoilers is a imho, since we might need a replacement.

I don't see a lot of issues in posting spoilers as long as you have a replacement player. Also, it is nice for Aggie and all other Wabbits to get some idea of what's going on.

Pastorius
29-05-2005, 14:01
Damn right. Us brats are waiting to be spoiled!1111

Kemal
07-06-2005, 16:50
My apologies people, I've been without an internet connection for a few days, but I can play and send the turn on again tonight. :)

Eldakkar
11-06-2005, 13:33
Arghis, could you please send me turn 70. You sent me akots' save

Beam
15-06-2005, 22:09
Nice pace, turnaround time is about 2 days now. :D

Aggie
16-06-2005, 09:32
That's really great news :) I'd be very interested in updated spoiler though, to see what's going on in this game [:p]

Eldakkar
11-07-2005, 22:26
It seems that the save is stuck somewhere..... Who has it?

Kemal
12-07-2005, 13:06
Sigh... is anyone actually reading this? Last save sent was 6 days ago! [confused]

Beam
12-07-2005, 13:22
It ain't here. :(

anarres
12-07-2005, 13:40
Last save sent was actually 3 days ago according to turntracker...

...to PP.

anarres
12-07-2005, 13:42
I PM'd PP.

Banzai
12-07-2005, 13:45

Last save sent was actually 3 days ago according to turntracker...

...to PP.

I don't know which tracker you are looking at, but this is the last one in the swimmingpool turntracker:

06-07-2005 08:51:01 - Eldakkar - turn 79

As the game is not with Beam it is either with Krys or Anarres.

Socrates
12-07-2005, 13:45
I don't know what you're talking about, anarres. The turn tracker says the latest save was sent by Eldakkar to me on July 6. I sent it to you by mail on July 7 early in the morning (read : a little after midnight). This was turn 80 from me.

anarres
12-07-2005, 14:46
Whoops! [blush]

I was looking at the other 8 player game, for which PP *IS* holding it up for 3 days now. :)

anarres
12-07-2005, 14:49
Umm, I should have sent that a few days ago!!!!!

Sorry guys but I definitly played it and I thought I had sent it. Normally I'm VERY good at checking the turn tracker as it sometimes fails and I have to do it twice. :(

On the up side, I actually played this within 1 hour of receiving it. [lol]

I won't be able to send this on until tonight, about 8pm GMT.

Edit: Feel free to hasstle me before a week elapses - you should all know that despite my previous bad behaviour I've not held this up for some time now and play my turns fast. If I don't send it in a 24 hour period something has gone wrong and if you notice you should tell me asap. Of course probably no-one noticed, but in the future if you do notice please do say so straight away.

Kemal
12-07-2005, 22:29
For some weird reason I'm having trouble accessing my regular civ-mail address, so I'd like to ask if any saves could be sent to jilkocfcAThotmail.com instead of the kemalATcqp.nl address for now. Thanks in advance.

Kemal
13-07-2005, 11:48
Well, I know what costed us the delay it seems.. I just sent via turn tracker, got the sent save screen, but my entry simply doesn't register in the list.

I'm sending again, if akots could please let us know whether he received the save twice, since if not we will have to be extra careful rechecking if the save has indeed been sent, I suppose. :)

anarres
13-07-2005, 12:19
Ah ha!!!! Thanks Kemal, I feel a little better. :)

I guess we need to make sure it appears in the list now, not just get the confirmation screen...

akots
13-07-2005, 17:42
I have got one e-mail. Indeed, that happens sometimes with Turntracker. I've fallen a victim of it a few times. Just check the page when it loads to see if the entry is there. If not, resubmit.

Socrates
14-07-2005, 13:22
*** NEWSFLASH ***
The Byzantine Sun

The year is 975BC. The Great Empress of the proud Byzantines is pleased to annouce to the antic world that her people has just finished erecting a magnificient bronze statue at the entrance of the yet to be build harbour in the capital city of Constantinople. Sailors of the whole known world are starting to visit the city more and more to see this wonder of human technique, to the point that some have already called it the Colossus, as it reminds them of those legendary, giant creatures who impressed people in a distant past. The Councellor of Commerce is expecting this attraction to increase trading in Constantinople by a large factor, for which the Byzantine wise men are thankful. The Empress has already ordered more libraries to be opened throughout the Empire, so as to profit from this interesting trend.

Leaders from all the world are kindly invited to Constantinople next summer, so as to have a cool party in the Palace's gardens. Entrance 5 coins. Exit with Greek fire in the ass. :D

Eldakkar
29-07-2005, 08:48
Hey all, I'll be gone on vacation from the 29th of july to the 6th of august, and I won't be able to play civ3 turns in this period. Cya on the 6th!

Banzai
29-07-2005, 10:35
Have fun!

anarres
29-07-2005, 13:15
I noticed turn tracker doing this again...

Socrates
29-07-2005, 14:39
OK, Eldakkar, enjoy your holidays ! [cool]

Socrates
18-08-2005, 15:59
akots hasn't visited CDZ for 3 days and the save is with him. I know he was about to go back home to Moscwa, so there is a good chance that he has left. [blush2] This probably means that we should search a replacement player for him. What do others think ? I think the best solution would be to start asking people to replace him, and wait a bit in the meantime to see if he reappears.

[bump] [blush2]

Kemal
20-08-2005, 16:47
Bad thing about a replacement player in this game is that it almost totally kills this side's diplomatic efforts. There simply is no way that a replacement can know and play with the same long term goals in mind as akots had, has and will have for the future, so that when he takes over he might be entangled in deals he would not have wanted, or have missed out on them.

Socrates
20-08-2005, 18:17
I completely agree, Kemal. And I think it's the same for any replacement, though this one is of more importance. But, as always, a Civ game is rooted in a universe known as RL, and there's simply no way to escape it.

akots seems to have gone now, too bad he didn't say goodbye on a specific day, but I'm pretty sure that he now is in Russia. From what he told me, getting back to the USA will take an indefinite time, and he'll have no good Internet connection while being there. Which leads me to a simple question : So what ? If we get a replacement, the game continues, with an unfortunate change in Carthage's behaviour. I'll tell him everything needed, the good and bad sides for me (ie. I will not screw him up by forgetting information). If we don't get a replacement, then the game will stall for an indefinite time, be it 1 month or 1 year (no, I'm not joking). Maybe some people prefer that. One thing is sure for me : once Civ4 comes in, I'll be less and less interested in Civ3, so the more we wait, the less I'm tempted to resume Civ3 games.

One easy solution would be to proclame you the winner, Kemal. Not really satisfying...

anarres
22-08-2005, 20:36
Ha, I will CRUSH Kemal in the waters of dispair!!! [mwaha]

I guess you could call me the winner instead? [mischief]

But seriously...

...how is it that akots is away "indefinitly"? Can we get an email/pm/anything to him to get a guesstimate on when he will be back?

Beam
22-08-2005, 21:10
Got this mail from akots last Thursday, I asked him if he has a clue when things are arranged.

quote:Hi:

I'm in Moscow waiting for the visa.

I've got a bunch of PBEMs but can't play anything
because I don't have C3C here working yet [only
vanilla] and shitty modem dial-up. Anyhow, just please
post something in my forum or somewhere that I'm sorry
and that the games are delayed. I wish now I have
sought a replacement for these.

I can't also normally access neither CDZ nor CFC from
here.

Hope there you are doing better...

Regards
Alex

I'll also post it in his forum.

Banzai
02-09-2005, 10:38
I'm on holiday from 3 till 22 september.
Darkness will replace me.. thanks dude!
I hope Akots gets back in time so he gets some turns to play.

akots
15-09-2005, 05:49
I'm here and I played the turn about 10 days ago from Moscow. Hopefully, Arghis got it and the game is moving.

Darkness
15-09-2005, 09:55

Hopefully, Arghis got it and the game is moving.

It is... :)
The game is with Kemal right now.