PDA

View Full Version : kryszcztov v akots - MAP MADE (Beam)

Socrates
07-07-2004, 17:30
Hello ! akots and I are about to play a no-AI game on our own.

We want the map to be completely symetrical (everything : terrain, resources, rivers, barbarian camps...) in this way : a vertical line of symetry in the middle of the minimap, with both regions exactly the same. If our regions look like human faces seen from the side (why not ?), then the left region-face would look at the right region-face. Like in a mirror...

Our region should look like a main continent with a few islands. Both regions should be separated by a large ocean (both sides !). The map will be of tiny size. We would like sedentary barbs, which means there will be no huts, right ? And put the usual (!) luxes on some islands, so as we have to fight for them (and why not some of them on the exact line of symetry ? [evil] ).

Game settings :
version : C3C 1.22
world size : Tiny (the smallest one)
land mass : Continents (like specified)
water coverage : your call, quite enough land to develop
climate : your call
temperature : your call
barbarians : Sedentary
player 1 - kryszcztov : Greece [crazyeye]
player 2 - akots : Ottomans [estwing] (maybe reverse players, want to wait for akots's opinion)
AI rivals : none
AI agression : [lol]
available victories : all except Wonder (akots, do you agree ?)
difficulty : Emperor
culturally linked start locations : [help]
respawn AI players : [hmm]
preserve random seed : Yes
allow cultural conversions : Yes

A big thanks to the mapmaker. [goodjob]

akots
07-07-2004, 18:06
I'm always confused with barbarian settings. Raging or something similar or sedentary but make them a lot and wondering all over the map seeking plunder and with new camps appearing from time to time but without huts to pop for techs please. We want the techs to be born out of our blood and sweat or bloody sweat. Don't know, that's when you sweat with blood. OK, I'm confused. We want a gory-bloody-intense-hearty-fat game.

Player order is fine with me.

Victories: Cultural, Domination, Conquest, Space Race, Histographic. Diplo apparently obsolete... :)

With SGL and all other things, just default rules with SGL enabled. Looks like a round of Russian-French roulette instead of Civ3 but it is fun after all.

Thanks in advance for the mapmaker!

Edited: We have also discussed this, but please-please no very small islands. At least 4-tile islands please.

Beam
07-07-2004, 18:14
Willing to take this one if you drop your requirement for human face type of mirror-symmetry cause it is a lot of extra work and not needed on a map being continous horizontally.

Also:
- Sedentary barbs still means huts iirc.
- "Usual" luxes on "some" islands is pretty vague. Either be more specific or leave it to the mapmaker entirely.
- Are you sure "all" victories except Wonder should be in there? This means (Mass) Regicide, Victory Points etc.
- Cultural linked start locations with AI rivals: none [scratch]

EDIT: Crosspost with akots. Answers the VCs but leaves an even bigger Q about barb settings ;)

akots
07-07-2004, 18:21
Just cross-posted with Beam. [lol]

I've already clarified some point re barbarians. Isn't it possible to just delete the huts and leave the camps? IIRC, sedentary means they sit in their camps and do not wonder around the map? This is not fun. They should be running around in numbers...

I'll leave minor details like luxuries and map to the mapmaker.

Thanks for taking this burden upon your shoulders, Beam.

Beam
07-07-2004, 18:25
Thnx akots, so the message is having the max. amount of barb activity without any huts to pop? [scared] [scared2]

And please confirm this as a non-AI game.

Socrates
07-07-2004, 18:49
THERE WILL BE NO AI, BEAM !!! :D akots and I will crush each other like it has never been made before in all History ! [aargh]

Just did a stupid test game (lasted 30 seconds), and with sedentary barbs, it's huts we get, not camps. [ponder] So put barbarian setting on high (either raging or restless, dunno, but tell us afterwards), and remove all huts.

What I meant with luxes was : if you can put some of them on those little islands, it's fine. The rest up to you.

Yes, remove the UN victory from the game. No weird victories of course, only Conquest, Domination, Space Race, Cultural (both), Histographic.

Those smileys are jokes, as for settings concerning the AI (as there is no AI).

I think everything is clear now. :)

Beam
07-07-2004, 19:02
And no fucking mirror type of human face symmetry? You will get 2 identical (capital I) E and W regions instead which basically serves your goal.

Finally, what do you consider to be large oceans on a tiny map?

akots
07-07-2004, 19:24
Don't know about the oceans. Just if they are as large as resonably possible. So that we would not try to kill each other too early... :) May be at least 5-6 tiles of ocean in the most narrow regions but it might be too much for the map.

I need to survive to Sipahi [crazyeye] [cry] [confused] [help]

An ocean of emotion lies between us. :)

Beam
07-07-2004, 19:54
K, tiny is 60 by 60. The map will be somthing like 1/2 Water - "Region" - Water - "Region" - 1/2 Water. A 5 tile ocean needs 9 tiles cause of the coastal and sea tiles on both sides. Makes 18 around the globe. Leaves 21 tiles for each region. Now I can trick in some hard to reach lux/ resource islands but putting those on symmetry lines won't leave any room for "ahum" continents. OK to stick with 2 identical regions 4-5 ocean tiles apart?

akots
07-07-2004, 22:05
Fine with me :) At least 4 please. Well, even if someone gets The Great Lighthouse (me-me-me[fdevil]), it would be tricky to sail through 4 tiles IMO.

These continents do not have to be 21-tile wide all the way? That's a lot of land indeed. May be slightly less at the expense of islands? And may be even a place for canal city? Or may narrowing down on the southern and northern ends for spindle-like shape with some occasional islands near the ends?

Can I also humbly ask for the starting settler to be placed somewhere in the middle so that we are not tempted with Palace jump?

Socrates
07-07-2004, 23:06
Yes, I agree on putting us in the middle, but not exactly on the equator please. Forget about the luxes on islands on the line of symetry (which doesn't exist anymore BTW). So we'll have the same regions, but like both "faces" looking on the right (or left, LOL) ? This is what happens in many PBEMs, am I right ? Both oceans, apart from being identical, should not allow the owner of the Lighthouse to safely cross them until boats can safely cross oceans (Navigation). That's our minimal requirement, up to you to make them larger or just that.

Please indicate the unclear settings once you have finished (like barbs). Thanks a lot, mate ! [goodjob]

Beam
09-07-2004, 22:50
Making good progress with the map, it is hard to put all idea's in and I'll have to do some more maptweaking to create the experience. Will do some playtesting as well, just to see if the barb settings are "as specified" and I most likely will use Mech. Infs. with extended movement for that ;). I'll be away most of the time this weekend so expect it either Sunday or Monday night.

Beam
14-07-2004, 21:03
Your Barbarian Gorefest is ready [evil]

Playtested it with MechInfs to see if there are enough barbcamps and no huts, according to specs.

krys send me his PW, gave akots the same one as vs Arghis.

Have fun and keep us spoiled!

krys goes first.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif DM3Beam017.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200471420418_DM3Beam017.SAV)
206.34KB

akots
14-07-2004, 22:08
Guess you posted Death Match III save??? [lol]

Beam
14-07-2004, 22:13
quote:Originally posted by akots

Guess you posted Death Match III save??? [lol]

[rotfl] Another Gorefest.

Here's the sav:

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif krysakots3950bc.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004714221327_krysakots3950bc.sav)
16.96KB

akots
14-07-2004, 22:35
Thanks a lot. [goodjob]

My plan is first, to kill the barbarians. Second, to kill the other player. Pretty much straightforward tactics. If something is that simple, it should work. [confused]

Socrates
14-07-2004, 23:06
Thanks a lot, Beam ! I will never be so grateful to people using much time to create maps for other players, so thank you very much, and that goes to every mapmaker too. [goodjob] I hope this is the 1st game of a long series of the like... if akots is up for it (first need to see how it goes in this one).

Socrates
16-07-2004, 02:33
2 little things...

- What is the barb setting you put the game on, Beam ?

- Is this vertical line of already visible ocean tiles normal ? The one at the edge of the minimap. (see my spoiler... no, not you, akots !).

Otherwise, what a crappy start ! :D

Beam
16-07-2004, 09:28
Barb setting is raging and what do you mean with the vertical line of ocean tiles?

EDIT: I see what you mean, those vertical lines are probably in cause the mapsize was increased a little to fit everything in with enough distance. The extra info you now have is that their is a lot of ocean out there [tongue]

akots
16-07-2004, 18:12
It' always good to know something new about the surroundings. :)