PDA

View Full Version : questions about Civ options

Socrates
04-07-2004, 15:06
I'm still quite in doubt about what those options really mean, and how they act in solo games and PBEMs. The first ones I'm thinking of are in the preferences menu, inside the units part, on the right of the screen (3 options there). I don't know what the two "cancel orders..." options stand for.

I also want to know your opinion about the "remotely renegociate deals" option. I always play without it in my solo games. But in PBEMs both players have to play with the same options. :( I think that it's better to play without this option. Could anyone give me an excellent reason to toggle it on ?

Kingreno
04-07-2004, 15:25
As for the "cancel orders..." , it means that if you have a unit on a go-to command it will halt when it enters a square which has an other civs unit adjacent to it. You definately should toggle it "on" for enemy units, for obvious reasons. For friendly units it can be annoying to have your units halt at a point where that friendly civs scout is fortified...so you have to resend them to their destination again.

"remotely negotiate deals"? hmm, I always use the "always renegotiate deals". Deals between humans (peace treaties) are so bugged anyways.

Socrates
04-07-2004, 15:40
If I never put units on go-to command, it means I don't care about these options then ?

I'll explain my PoV for the "renegociate deals" option. Of course it means deals with AIs. Imagine I want to invade an AI in 30 turns, but also want to profit from a trade opportunity before that. If I have the option off, then I can set up the deal, do nothing in 20 turns, and if the AI is still happy, the deal can go on for another 10 turns, after which I cancel it without reputation hit, and I declare war. If the option is on, then I'll be asked to restart the deal after 20 turns ; if I end it, then I lose 10 turns of trading ; if I agree on a new deal, then I'll have to break the deal when I declare war. It seems this option is better "off". Am I missing anything ? I'd like to add that I've never played with it "on", and so don't know what happens in terms of interface after those 20 turns.

EDIT : BUMP ! [tongue]

Pastorius
09-07-2004, 15:10
I see your point, and afaik, that's what I ve been doing as well, though I see some usefullness in setting it to always renegotiate...Dunno how it handles in MP yet, but I reckon that is the main area of usefullness.

watorrey
11-07-2004, 20:22
Renegotiate always will cause the AI to come to you during thier turn and offer to continue the deal.

You lose control over the trading situation because if you try to renegotiate and the AI is running a deficit, as it often does, you won't get as much gpt, or none. You're better off leaving the option off and checking to see if the ai is running a deficit on your turn. Either see what they will offer for a couple techs or see if a gpt for a map will give 'they would never agree' response.