PDA

View Full Version : Deity SG Melifluous' Team

Melifluous
08-04-2003, 12:38
Here we go for our side, the Chinese Chargers!

Our Team
anarres
Eklektikos
Melifluous
WildFire444

Start Conditions
Continents
Temperate
Normal (not arid or wet)
5 billion years old

Melifluous

anarres
08-04-2003, 13:21
So are we going to use the same map?

It would be nice to be able to compete agains the other team!

Melifluous
08-04-2003, 13:44
We certainly are and I have the map in my grubby little inbox now!

I nominate myself as first starter!

I will post the start pos soon and play no more until I get some feedback...

Melifluous

Melifluous
08-04-2003, 14:16
And here it is...

Not too good from where I am standing, need your guidance guys...

http://melifluous.www4.dotnetplayground.com/SGChina/ChinaStart.jpg

and the minimap...

http://melifluous.www4.dotnetplayground.com/SGChina/ChinaStartMini.jpg

So I guess that will be forest and jungle to the south...
My first impression is to move one square northeast with the settler to keep him on the river, surely that position could not be worse than this one?
Leave the worker behind I thought, until we can see what the settler can see, I can see no reason not to mine the square the worker is on, if the other stuff is no better. No Bonus Grassland in site :(

Feedback?

Melifluous

anarres
08-04-2003, 14:26
I say settle where you are, you are already on a river.

What civ are we then? Are we the same civ as the other team?

anarres
08-04-2003, 14:27
I think we *should* be the same civ btw, since we are competing!

Melifluous
08-04-2003, 17:49
And it starts...

Turn 1 - Settler on the spot, reveals 2 cows on grass to the northeast and a floodplain, all will be within the 20 tiles, so no tragedy, but still, this coulda been better.
Extra work within the 9 will be wasted with these Uber tiles in sight so worker trundles off to the top cow, he will work his way down.
Research - Pottery (100% - 20 turns), Meliston building warrior in 10, Size 2 in 10.
Turn 2 - Worker makes it to top cow.
Turn 3 - Realise I cant irrigate this cow yet and start road to Second cow.
Turn 4 - Still roading
Turn 5 - Moves to second cow on the river
Turn 6 - Start Road
Turn 7 - roading...
Turn 8 - Irrigate
Turn 9 - irrigating
Turn 10 - Irrigation complete, move back to other cow to begin mining.
Turn 11 - Our borders expand, warrior is completed, start another, 10 turns to pottery. Governor switched off, citizens work the cow squares. 3 shields and an excess of 5 food per turn. Lux up to 10%, warrior off exploring. Pottery now in 8 turns at 90%. Warrior heads east, there be a hut in that there jungle. Also suggestion of coast to the west.
Turn 12 - Still going east, still mining.
Turn 13 - Mining finished, gonna wait and see what the warrior finds before I move my worker. Warrior pops hut ... Deserted. phew. Worker moves onto grassland.
Turn 14 - Worker starts mining. Second warrior built, start barracks as pre-build for granary. Warrior wandering east finds a border, yellow, hmm hope its the Egyptians. Dont want the Zulu as neighbours :(
Turn 15 - Warrior gets a better view, but still cant talk to the damn neighbours.
Turn 16 - Shit, Zulus second city 5 squares east and one southeast. He has pottery and Bronze working which we dont. We have Masonry and he dont. He offers us Pottery and 30 gold for Masonry. We get pottery next turn. I will talk to him then. Check if research can be adjusted for the last turn, it can't. He wont trade BW for anything.
Turn 17 - We get pottery, worker completes mine, switch barracks to granary (barracks would have built next turn), 9 turns to Granary. Start researching Alphabet at 80%, due in 34 turns at 80% [:o]. Talk to Shaka. We can get BW and 6 gold for Masonry. We do the trade. Turn research down to 10%.
Turn 18 - Wandering warrior works out that the Zulu have 3 cities!!! ouch that hurts
Turn 19 - Size 4 city, lux -> 20%. Minor readjustment of workers to get Granary in 5 and expand in 7.
Turn 20 - Citizens switched back. Granary in 4, expand to size 5 in 5. Talk to Shaka, no new tech, he has a worker but would cost 5 gpt and 30 gold, we have 6gpt and 32 gold at min tech. I decide not to bother.

Hope that was OK and not too sucky. Comments?

http://melifluous.www4.dotnetplayground.com/SGChina/ChinaMeli2.jpg

And the save...

Oh and anarres up next
then Eklektikos
then Wildfire444

Mailed the save to him, as I cant seem to link a file up here and I gotta go...

Melifluous

anarres
08-04-2003, 19:35
Got it.

A good set of turns. The only difference I would have made is to build a third warrior before starting the granary (for more exploring), but maybe not, it's hard to tell without being there.

anarres
08-04-2003, 20:44
preturn (3050BC)

I really think our warrior should be exploring, I send him west. We are 19 shields from Granary and on 6 shields per turn. I set the citizen working the irrigated cattle to work another forest tile. I have to put lux up to 40% (3).

Our opponents (from F10):
Ottomans
Korea
Scandanavia
America
France
Babylon
Zululand

1 (3000BC) - Set the citizen back to the cattle. We get granary in 2 turns now. :)

2 - Set worker to irrigate floodplains.

3 - Granary completes, set citizen to work floodplain. Set lux to 30% (still 3). By setting the citizens we have got the granary with no wasted shields, and we will get the warrior in 2 turns with no wasted shields andwe will grow in 2 turns with no wasted food. :D

4 - The worker is free again, I send it NE to road the floodplains there. It will help connect our next city. There is only forest with river left to terraform in our capitals radius, and this is much more important.

Wow! Sending the warrior NE has revealed a wheat on floodplains that is in the 9 for our new city! Hmm, I hear the works 'settler factory' running around my head.

I consider scrapping the warrior to build the settler first, but then we would have 2 cities with no defense. [:o]

5 - Build warrior and set to settler, this warrior stays home. City is now size 5. Working both cattle and the 3 forrest tiles gives 10 shields per turn, so settler in 3.

The warrior sent west pays off, he pops a hut - deserted! :(

6 (2750BC) - [sleep]

7 (2710BC) - Send worker E to road the NE incense.

8 - Build settler, send 2 NE and 1 east. set build to settler. Worker starts road. MM so growth in 1. Lux to 10% (1).

9 - Send settler NE. Grow to size 4, set lux to 20% (2).

10 - Melsiton builds warrior, send NE to new city location.

Found anarchyville - it's a beautiful spot, I think I will come to love this town. [love] The incense connects up and we have a lux.

Set lux slider to 10% (1). Send worker to the wheat by anarchyville.

Here is a map:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200348204418_DSG.2590BC.map.jpg
138.49*KB

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif SGC1.2590BC.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200348204311_SGC1.2590BC.zip)
82.71*KB

P.S. Everyone can now post .sav's and .zip's too. The max limit on all files is now 1Mb.

Eklektikos
08-04-2003, 22:04
Preturn (2590BC): No action

1) Meliston grows to 5. Set Lux to 20% (2). Begin irrigating wheat NW of Anarchyville. Send A'ville bound warrior through city and onto mountain N of city to take a quick peek at the terrain on the other side, and see nothing but unadorned plains. Continue exploring with other warriors.

2) Zulu are building Pyramids. Return warrior to A'ville. Exploration continues.

3) Irrigation of wheat tile completes and I commence roadworks on same. Fortify warrior in A'ville. Exploration continues.

4) Disease strikes Meliston :( and settler completes :D. Switch production to warrior for new city garrison purposes. Dither pathetically about where to send settler [ponder]

So rather than send the poor bugger somewhere potentially daft, I thought I'd see where you guys would recommend building. I was pondering building on one of the circled tiles, but I'm not sure whether I should a) go for the site to the north in order to keep corruption down, b) build on the NW of the two adjacent tiles to the E and try to catch the cow with cutural expansion later, or c) get right up close to the Zulu border in order to grab the cow and shielded grassland now.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/DSG2430BC.gif

Anys suggestions? Or just yells of "stop blethering and get on with it!"? ;)

anarres
08-04-2003, 23:57
I wouldn't worry about the north spot yet, we don't know what's there and the NE spots will go soon. It is worth sending a warrior north soon to see if it's coast or more land.

Of the two in the NE I like the one right next to the cattle, if it is in you 9 radius it is pretty much guarenteed.

This is some real shitty land, I expect we will have to fight the Zulu very early...

Melifluous
09-04-2003, 11:58
I agree with anarres on the city placement, also if it is near the zulu and we can road to it, it will be easier to get our troops to Zululand...

Melifluous

PS. I thought we were all taking 20 turns at the start, but I guess not [goggle]

anarres
09-04-2003, 13:18
Mel, if we took 20 turns each there would be less discussion about moves. I like 10 better.

We're missing WildFire... [ponder]

Melifluous
09-04-2003, 13:51
Ah OK, sorry for the 20 turn starter, but maybe it was needed...

And yeah, I aint seen WildFire444 around in here, still we can give him 24 hours after Eklektikos' last go and then we can carry on.

I will also mail him to let him know where we are and whats going on, in case he didnt read the reast of page one of the Initial thread, it did move onto page two pretty quickly after getting back up and running again...

Melifluous

WildFire
09-04-2003, 14:01
What? Do I have to post everywhere? It's called school you know. Thats where I am right now, posting. That is where I post everyday in the morning. And I've been following it, just waiting for my turn(s).

questions: So if I settle, I can name it whatever I want? And What tech after Alphabet?

Hi.

;)

WildFire
09-04-2003, 14:02
So do I do 10 turns? And it is 1.14 right?

anarres
09-04-2003, 14:16
quote:Originally posted by WildFire444

questions: So if I settle, I can name it whatever I want?I guess so. :)
quote:And What tech after Alphabet?Er...

...Writing ;)

BTW, on Deity writing is almost always the way to go. It allows buying / selling of contracts and is one away from Map Making (if you are on an island). It is also very expensive and should only be done on min-science research (unless you do it late and can get it in < 40 turns on full research).

The BIGGEST side-effect of writing is when you buy contacts you can normally make lots of money and/or cut your tech costs down by a huge amount. If the civs don't have your techs you sell them techs, and if they have the techs you want your research costs drops.

The big exception to this is if you need Iron Working / Horseback Riding for every early war, but I think we can hold off the Zulu until a bit later (there is still room for them to expand, so they are unlikely to attack).quote: So do I do 10 turns?I think we are on 10 turns now, but Mel is boss, so maybe he will pop in and make a 'ruling'.quote:And it is 1.14 right?Yep.

Melifluous
09-04-2003, 14:53
quote:Originally posted by anarres

I think we are on 10 turns now, but Mel is boss, so maybe he will pop in and make a 'ruling'.

Hmm...
[book]
Yup 10 turns from now on...

And I am not the boss, lets just say first amongst equals...[laser]

Melifluous

WildFire
09-04-2003, 15:24
Ok thanks. Will play when I get home.

Melifluous
09-04-2003, 15:39
Hmm yeah,

But surely you can wait until Eklektikos has finished his go?
I suggest you re-read the Deity SG thread in General Discussions for an idea on what we are doing...
A bit of discussion is good here...

Melifluous

WildFire
09-04-2003, 16:53
I know, thats what I meant. Cause he has only done 4 turns, so I'll wait. Just hope I can go sometime today or you guys are waiting til school gets out tomorrow...

Eklektikos
09-04-2003, 17:36
[afro]

Given that I'm at least 5 hours ahead of you there shouldn't be too much of a problem on that front

WildFire
09-04-2003, 17:38
Thats good afro man...

Eklektikos
09-04-2003, 17:39
That smiley was just crying out for use... :D

WildFire
09-04-2003, 17:42
Well, where are the rest of your turns...?

anarres
09-04-2003, 18:24
What do people think are the important things to remember here?

For me it's:

1) Explore (and hence get contacts)
2) Get Writing
3) Consider getting the Wheel at 100% tech BEFORE WRITING so we can find out where the horses are around here. Riders are the UU, but they are preceeded by horsemen, which we may need to use to take out the Zulu forces.
4) Be prepared for the Zulu's to launch a suprise attack when they run out of expansion room.
5) Remember to check Diplo *every turn*, especially important when someone inthe world gets writing and civs start selling contacts.

Comments?

Eklektikos
09-04-2003, 21:30
4 contd) Send settler off towards intended site of new city. Continue exploration. Set lux to 0%

5) Disease strikes Meliston - pop down to 2. Road on wheat near A'ville completed, move worker to start road out to new city site. Continue exploration.

6) Meliston grows back to 3, builds warrior and I send him out towards new city site. Start building a second warrior to scout the north. Continue exploration.

7) A'ville completes warrior and starts worker. 4 Zulu warriors sighted by settler, all heading our way... hope they're not about to start something. Move settler back to stack with warriors from A'ville and Meliston for protection. Continue exploration.

8) Shit. Zulu archers appear and stack with 2 warriors on mountain 2 tiles SE of A'ville, and a 3rd warrior approaches from the NE. Meliston builds warrior and starts another. Send it to A'ville and move the settler/warrior stack back into the city for even more protection. Move worker to W of A'ville to start work out of the potential line of fire. Continue exploration.

9) Evil Zulu archer/warrior stack advances into our territory SW of A'ville, occupying our incense tile. Meliston grows to 4 and I increase lux to 10% (2). Fortify 3 warriors in A'ville in addition to the original 1. Move settler out of city to the west to ensure its safety.

10) Zulu declare war :( Kill two of our defending warriors and knock two HP off a third, promoting him in the process. They pillage our incense. Meliston completes warrior and I send him up to the front. Change A'ville to warrior.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/DSG2190BCA.gif

The stack SE of A'ville also contains 2 reg archers - one with 1 HP and one with 2 HP. This really isn't looking like a great situation, and I hope I've not managed to fuck things up too badly or do anything too immensely stupid here [B)]

Save uploaded here (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/DSG2190BC.zip)

anarres
09-04-2003, 21:43
Not your fault Eklektikos! This is a shite map with no expansion room, and right next to an evil AI. The Zulu must be totally trapped themselves to attack unprovoked so early... :(

WildFire
09-04-2003, 21:45
I am going to play this soon (SHIT EKLE!!!).

First: Should I rush warriors if needed?
Second: Keep making warriors in Meliston?

anarres
09-04-2003, 21:51
Damage Limitation:

WE should change tech to Bronze Working or warrior code immediately, providing we can get one of them in a reasonable number of turns at full tech.

Bring the warrior out of M'ton to help in the war, lux can be put up as high as needed.

Fortify warriors in A'ville as you can. (Obviuously) build only warriors until we can build better.

Settle the settler to the north, whatever the site is like. The extra 4 free units will help. Settling on the hill is a very good idea since we get the +50 defense.

Don't go after units unless you know you can get them, defending the city is better when there are multiple attackers and your numbers are limited.

Don't panic! Even if we lose A'ville, we can still probably survive, and we will still win even if we are pushed to 1 city (the settler going north).

anarres
09-04-2003, 21:54
WildFire,

I have realised that archers are better than spears here, go for warrior code asap, and please only build warriors or archers!

Edit: Oh, it's not worth rushing warriors unless you are gonna lose the city! The unhappiness means you can do it once or twice max in 20 turns, and the hit to commerce will make it take longer to get warrior code.

WildFire
09-04-2003, 21:55
So I will try to switch to BW for the defense (dont feel like attacking) if it goes low enough. Will put at 100% or close to it. But if I take the warrior of of M'ton, I cant put the lux up high enough because that will be taken by the science rate... Will try to settle and avoid Zulu. Do we know if they have gotten their golden age?

WildFire
09-04-2003, 21:56
Ok, just read your other reply and will go after WC not BW.

Hope I win...

anarres
09-04-2003, 21:58
WF - read the edit - don't rush warriors! Maybe rush archers, but sparingly.

WildFire
10-04-2003, 00:26
Here it goes.... Oh yeah, WE ALREADY HAVE WARRIOR CODE and Bronze Working! Going to stick with Alphabet

1) Changed M'ton to a spearman(3 turns) Moved warrior off city onto other warrior on flood plain.
2) Both warriors in city lost...They attacked the two others and they both won (defeated an archer and warrior)LOST THE CITY...Spearman in 2 turns. Put other 2 warriors onto settler (also worker)
3) LOST another warrior (he attacked across a river!) Moved settler and warrior into capital (went into disorder even though I had entertainment up !ARGH!
4) Two warriors approach...2 MORE ZULU CITIES APPEAR! Lost warrior near Hlobane to archer (spearman in 1)
5) Another warrior appears as does an ARCHER (MERDE)! Reg spearman made. Spear in 2. If both of their warriors attack, we lose... Settler moved in vain attempt to settle...
6) SPEARMAN IS VET! 6 units approaching... Spear in 1!
7) SPEARMAN IS ELITE (two wins)! 2 spears 1 warrior guarding the city! (spear in 2 turns). 3 archers (regular) and 1 warrior left!
8) SPEARMEN BOTH WIN! 1 archer remains! Spear switched to barracks...Going to settle next turn...(maybe) running worker to 2nd (maybe) city.
9) They do not attack! Barracks made! WildLand founded (couldnt think of a name)! 2 INCENSE FOUND! They want WildLand for peace (NO FUCKING WAY) Making a SETTLER!
10) They did nada. Sent worker north. still making settler. They have the Wheel, Ceremonial and IW on us... NEXT UP!

WildFire
10-04-2003, 00:46
Uh oh

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/anarchyville.JPG

Ah crap

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire444/200341004341_screwed.JPG
165.1*KB

Not good

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/SoD.JPG

WildLand!

WildFire
10-04-2003, 00:52
And WildLand! Notice the incense!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/wildland.JPG

and here is the save!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/1830bc.sav

anarres
10-04-2003, 01:25
Ouch! [B)]

I will read up tomorrow. I suggest we discuss our strategy before playing any more turns.

If we win this game it counts as Deity + in my book (or at least a very fucking difficult Deity game).

DrAlimentado
10-04-2003, 02:30
[scared] thats some scary shit u guys got going on...

I'm going to enjoy watching you get out of this one! (I won't be surprised if you do either ;))

WildFire
10-04-2003, 04:46
oh yeah, anarchyville was a two now it's a one. so either they got a worker or they rushed something. And, the Zulu will talk...

Shabbaman
10-04-2003, 09:44
The big exception to this is if you need Iron Working / Horseback Riding for every early war, but I think we can hold off the Zulu until a bit later (there is still room for them to expand, so they are unlikely to attack

[lol]

anarres
10-04-2003, 12:37
Yeah, I was *really* suprised to see the Zulu rush us with Warriors!!!! [:o]

Has anyone else had a warrior rush from the AI so early on, when you had defenders in your cities? This is the worst case I think I've ever seen (barring empty cities).

Since we can build spears and archers we should be OK. M'ton can rush a spear when it is convenient, and it can pump more out. We need a couple of spears, then some archers. We shouldn't pay for peace, we should get several archers and take A'ville back! Fortify a couple of spears in it and hopefully they'll get the idea.

anarres
10-04-2003, 12:39
Leading on from that, make sure A'ville is size 2! We don't want a rep hit for razing our own city...

Melifluous
10-04-2003, 12:46
So am I good to go now?

I can play this now if you like?

Melifluous

WildFire
10-04-2003, 13:02
Just don't F*ck it up ;)

digger760
10-04-2003, 13:03

Leading on from that, make sure A'ville is size 2! We don't want a rep hit for razing our own city...

And the fact that was "your" city in the first place[lol]

Melifluous
10-04-2003, 13:06
Actually guys as you may have guessed that was a few turns before the end of WildFires go...

Start of my go. I have done nothing yet...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Melifluous/2003410125848_MeliStart.jpg
91.73*KB

This a bit better...

Also Meliston will complete a settler in 2 turns [goggle] in the middle of a war?
10 shields completed...
We do 10 shield per turn atm...

So the question is
a) Leave it as a settler? - methinks not
b) Spearman? - We have 2 here...
c) Archer? - Attack! Kill the Evil Zulu oppressors!

What do y'all think?

Melifluous

WildFire
10-04-2003, 13:10
I wanted a settler to put into Wildland to make them grow...

But if you wish, build archers and suicidally attack. M'ton already has a barracks so I think a spearman would be a good idea...

Melifluous
10-04-2003, 13:15
Yeah but WildLand also has no troops in it and I can just imagine a long line of Zulu troops heading that way now...
In fact I am inclined to give the Zulus WildLand for peace. I dont think we have a hope in hell of keeping it...

Melifluous

WildFire
10-04-2003, 14:00
Yes, but that would be STUPID. Why let them surround us?!? Plus the extra gold it is giving us is nice...

anarres
10-04-2003, 14:21
I would say:

1) Build archers, we need to counter attack now. Make sure we have a couple of spears, but lets get onthe offensive. Def change M'ton from settler.

2) Keep W'land if possible, I hate giving in to AI demands, and if we kill some of their units and take A'ville back I expect they'll be paying us for peace.

Mel, feel free to play a couple of turns and post updates. In the last 2 goes we sould have benifited from not doing all 10 goes at once, but having re-evaluations after every few turns.

Melifluous
10-04-2003, 16:19
Preturn - Reg archer impales himself on Elite spear no damage taken. Archer on mountain fortifies.
Turn 1 (1790BC) - Archer completes -> Archer. Warrior in NE continues to scout around. Worker walks into WildLand, will join him to the city next turn, he is unlikely to improve the terrain much
IT - First Impi on the scene, he wanders onto our floodplain tile, se of the first cow.
Turn 2 (1750BC) - Worker joins WildLand, it completes warrior in 2. Lux to 40%, size 7!
Move warrior from Meliston northwest onto mountain, aiming to join anarchyville.
IT - Archer on mountain attacks Elite spearman and loses. Our spearman loses 1 hp :( Impi pillages Floodplain tile and moves one square back towards Anarchyville. Archer appears south of mountain coming from Intombe. Archer moves north outta some Zulu town I cant see properly in the north towards our wandering warrior.
Turn 3 (1725BC) - Archer completes -> Archer. Warrior in the north runs away. MM of WildLand to get as much gold as poss. All squares around WildLand are 1 food :( stuck at size 2. Warrior Next turn. Talk to Shaka, he still wants WildLand for peace. He has a total of 8 cities [goggle].

And I will save it here and post...

A few facts...

We have 2 spears in M'ton (1 reg and 1 elite) and 2 vet archers.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Melifluous/2003410161737_MelMid2.jpg
71.66*KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Melifluous/200341016191_MelMid1.jpg
102.23*KB

Ideas?

Melifluous

anarres
10-04-2003, 17:34
Build some more archers. When we have 4 archers attack a'ville. You can go 2 NE and 1 E (where the Impi is) to aviod the river penalty for attacking the city. Take 2 spears for defense. They will likely attack the stack, hopefully 2 spears will be enough to stop them, then 4 archers to take back a'ville.

If there are no Zulu within site of M'ton then I say take both spears and all the archers as soon as you get 4 archers. If it takes 2 turns to produce a spear and they are a min 3 turns away it should be ok. If the enemy is close then you will have to wait, maybe even forget about a'ville and counter attack whatever they send at us.

Maybe switch WildLand to a spearman instead of a warrior? I don't see the need for warriors now at all.

Also maybe send the reg spear to defend the mountain to the south of M'ton this turn. It isn't worth attacking the archer on swamp, but a spear on the mountain will get +110 (terrain) and +25 (river). +135% defense on a spear is pretty hefty (almost defense 5), and the AI tends to waste it's units on unwinnable battles.

You seem to be doing fine, if we lose it's not because of bad play.

Kemal
10-04-2003, 19:52
Very unlucky and difficult start you guys got here with that aggressive Shaka-clown so nearby, especially since he's once again living up to his usual warmongering antics.

But I must say it results in great stuff to read. Good luck in fending of this attack!

Shabbaman
11-04-2003, 10:55
Well, the other guys have the same clown as neighbour.

Melifluous
11-04-2003, 13:07
Preturn - Move reg spear south onto mountaintop. warrior switched to spear in WildLand.
IT - Impi fortifies in the East, archer goes ne avoiding the mountaintop battle. French complete the Oracle.
Turn 4 (1700BC) - Zzz... not much doing... Check tile usage in M'ton and W'Land. Bit of rearranging in W'Land means we can get spear in 3, and use the Gold square.
IT - Hmm Impi moves onto forest east of M'ton, archer moves on forest se of M'ton, another Impi moves onto the floodplain to the east.
Turn 5 (1675BC) - Archer completes in M'ton -> Archer. With all the forest to the se covered with Zulus, I move a grassland citizen to the mountain near the river to keep shield >= 10. Still +1 food. Move spearman back into M'ton. Zulus are no more than one in a bunch so I dont attack any. Warrior makes it to W'Land.
IT - OK well, archer attacks Elite spear in M'ton, dies, no damage done, Impi attacks E.Spear in M'ton, dies, no damage done. 2 warriors leave Intombe in the south heading for M'ton. Another Impi joins the one on the floodplains, they fortify.
Turn 6 (1650BC) - MM to max gold and food, whilst keeping shields >= 10. Zzzz
IT - Impi attacks M'ton from the grass, takes 1 hp from E.Spear and retreats. Damn b'stard covering my mine! Zulu Archer goes 1 square se of floodplain
Turn 7 (1625BC) - WildLand completes spearman starts archer. Archer completes, starts spearman. Archer in M'ton attacks 1hp Impi and kills it losing 2 hp. E.Spear moves onto same square and fortifies. Reg spear moves onto mountain to the south.
IT - Zulu Impi and archer move dead east of M'ton. Warriors from south avoid mountaintop spearman again.
Turn 8 (1600BC) - Alphabet completes. Start Writing. All troops back into M'ton. Dont wanna attack the Impi accross a river(+25%) in the forest(+50), as I might kick off his Golden Age :nono:.
IT - Impi attack E.Spearman dies, no damage... 2 warriors climb mountain south of Meliston.
Turn 9 (1575BC) - M'ton completes spearman. Starts Archer. Vet Archer attacks Zulu reg archer across the river, RNG doesn't smile on us and our archer dies promoting the Zulu to vet. He has 2 hp. Attack again and kill the archer, promoting our archer to Elite!
IT - warrior attacks E.Spear and dies, does 1 hp dam. Other warrior fortifies. Impi appears on floodplain.
Turn 10 (1550BC) - Elite archer moves back into M'ton. MM to get the best tiles etc...

And that was that...
No attacking yet...
Our troops...
Meliston - 1 elite spear, 1 vet spear, 1 reg spear, 1 elite archer, 2 vet archers and another archer next turn.
WildLand - 1 reg warrior, 1 reg spearman. completes Archer in 4 (no barracks)

Our land
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/melifluous/200341113623_SGMelMap2.jpg
257.18KB
The Save

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif Mel_SG_1550BC.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/melifluous/200341113711_Mel_SG_1550BC.sav)
110.65KB
Melifluous

WildFire
11-04-2003, 13:55
Cool, good job Meli. Now, if this was a smart AI we were going against, they would of pillaged our two cattle by now. Good thing they are suicidal;)

anarres
11-04-2003, 14:18
A very good holding set of turns mel! :D

The spear in W'land should come south to M'ton, unless you think the Zulus can/will sneak up on W'land, which I doubt.

Next turn we get another archer (4 total), and we have 3 spears in M'ton. I am tempted to say we are ready to take A'ville back. The Impi on our floodplains should be left. They can kill themselves on our spears, either on the route to A'ville or in M'ton. Mel was totally right to ignore them. One other thing, 4 archers is nice, but 5 is better for the attack. ;) 2 spears in A'ville with the archers should be enough initially, as we can pick of any units the Zulu send at us with archers.

anarres
11-04-2003, 14:23
Remeber folks, we should think every turn about what is happening. Mel's turns were very good, but the next 30 - 40 turns are even more crucial (especially the taking back of A'ville).

If there are problems in the battle or you are unsure about whether to attack, wait, or build something else, STOP PLAYING and come back here.

Melifluous
11-04-2003, 15:27

Remeber folks, we should think every turn about what is happening. Mel's turns were very good, but the next 30 - 40 turns are even more crucial (especially the taking back of A'ville).

hehe, you're up next anarres... [lol]

Feel free to ask us any questions if you get stuck [:p]

Seriously though, I believe the Zulus will attack WildLand if we have only a warrior in there. An Impi can attack in its third turn of leaving anarchyville, and we dont want them to start their Golden Age just because our only defence was a warrior do we?

Melifluous

anarres
11-04-2003, 15:51
Since W'land is size 2 we can rush a spear defender and fortify it in time, that should stop an impi...

I will play tonight, I am playing multiple PBEM's too (I hope), so I can post every couple of turns and wait for feedback if people are around. :)

Melifluous
11-04-2003, 16:03

Since W'land is size 2 we can rush a spear defender and fortify it in time, that should stop an impi...

Ah yes, [:I] , I never use the whip as I always forget about it. Normally wait for Monarchy/Republic to rush stuff...

I will play tonight, I am playing multiple PBEM's too (I hope), so I can post every couple of turns and wait for feedback if people are around. :)

I will try and get online tonight, dont know if I can play any but might be able to contribute my tuppence worth.

Go get em anarres... [}:)] [guns] [mgun] [ninja] [plasma] [rocket][rifle] [shoot] [bomb]

Melifluous

anarres
11-04-2003, 22:42
preturn (1550BC): W'land is mm'd for gold, but with both citizens on forest we can get 4 shields. That means a unit every 5 turns, as it is we get them every 7. There is money in the bank already, and since it can't be used to rush things it is not needed at all at the moment.

AI: Impi move 2 tiles west to mountain NW of M'ton. Zulu warrior on mountain to S of M'tom moves NW. Ottomans complete Pyramids.

1 - M'ton produces archer -> archer.

AI: Impi goes to hills S of W'land. Another Impi appears on mountain to E of W'land. Archer appears 2 E from W'land.

2 (1500BC) - Take the archer 2 E from W'land. Send spear to defend it.

AI - Impi to E opf W'land dies on spear in W'land, no damage.

3 - M'ton produces archer -> archer. Send spear and archer in the field W (to the hills E from W'land), they are going to back it up.

AI - Zulu warrior makes it to hills S of W'land with fortified Impi. 2 archers in NW move W to hills, a few tiles from W'land.

4 (1450BC) - Archer and spear move W to W'land, we are well set in there now. Lux to 30%

AI - Warrior kills himself on spear at W'land. 2 Zulu archers arrive on the hills to the east of W'land. More archers are coming, but a few tiles away. We have 2 spears at W'land and 3 archers, as long as they attack in dribbles we should be fine.

5 - M'ton produces archer -> spear.

AI - 2 archers die on spears at W'land with no loss. :D Another zulu archer arrives on the hill. The Impi is still fortified on the hills S of W'land.

6 - Send 4 archers and 1 spear to liberate a'ville, making sure to cross the river this turn. The Zulu will accept a straight peace at the moment, let us see how the attack on a'ville goes first eh? ;)

AI - Impi dies, then archer dies for no loss at W'land. Another Impi and archer make it to hills E from W'land W'land.

7 - Mel produces spear -> worker. Get 2 archer victories attacking a'ville and it is taken! [dance] Kill a zulu archer 2 NW from a'ville.

Talking to the Zulu, they have the wheel, iron workiong, ceremonial burial and writing. For peace I get the wheel and iron working, giving 74 gold in return. I choose these techs as they will show if we have iron or horses nearby, and we desperately need better resources to get the zulu with.

Change W'land to barracks. Set a'ville to worker. The bastard zulu have purged our citizens, leaving 2 resisting zulu citizens!!! [mad3]

Our focus now must be to get that horse connected, build another 2 cities at least, and build an army for the Zulu invasion.

AI - Most Zulu forces disperse, but an aarcher moes S from W'land towards M'ton.

8 - M'ton builds worker -> worker. W'land produces barracks -> worker. Lux to 30%. Send spear to mountain N from a'ville to 'reserve it', in case the impi decides to use it on his route home. Send worker towards this mountain.

AI - Zulu units still moving out.

9 - M'tom produces worker -> worker. Warrior in W'land moves N to explore. New worker towards mountain to N of a'villle. Other worker arrives on mountain.

AI - Zulu *still* moving out.

10 - M'tom produces worker -> settler. Send new worker to floodplains at M'ton, once it has finished there it can reconnect the incense, then help a'ville back. Warriro N of W'land N again, there is good land to settle on up there. :) Lux to 20%

Summary

a'ville is workign a desert tile atm to get 2 shields per turn, it is important to get rid of at least 1 of the zulu citizens. Once it is produced it *has* to emphasise food.

M'ton is mm'd for food to grow in 2 turns, make sure to mm the food and shields carefully please. After producing a settler it should either produce another one or more workers.

Remember to check every city every turn, and to check the lux rate. Please don't produce any more units for the moment, we have to connect the horse and build another 2 cities before we are ready to build any more military. The exception to this is the odd spear to go with settlers.

Roading to W'land is a priority, as is producing lots more worker to help with all the needed improvements. Any new cities must be connected urgently to allow them to build horse units.

After writing we can go for Horseback Riding, but we should try and hold off for now so that when we have a few more cities we can build lots of chariots to upgrade.

Expansion can go north, remember to take spears and to connect the cities asap.

Here is a map:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/2003411224159_DSG.1300BC.map.jpg
57.5*KB

WildFire
11-04-2003, 23:55
NICE! Where is the save for Ekle?

anarres
12-04-2003, 00:40
Whoops [:I]

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif DSG1.1300BC.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200341204033_DSG1.1300BC.sav)
125.82KB

Eklektikos
12-04-2003, 03:02
I'm afraid I'm likely to be AWOL most of this weekend, and am certainly very unlikely to have the time to give this the attention it deserves at any point tomorrow. If WildFire would like to swap slots with me for this round then we could keep the momentum going, as I may be able to play again sometime on Sunday.

Melifluous
12-04-2003, 07:33
Hmm this seems reasonable, turn order is now

WF444 - UP NOW
Eklektikos - ON DECK
Mel
anarres

OK?

Also guys? Not sure if I can see it right but it that iron on the mountain to the sw of Meliston near the silks? Might be a nice resource city to get before anyone else does?

Melifluous

WildFire
12-04-2003, 21:35
Ok, playing now

Melifluous
12-04-2003, 21:47
Just like to say...

quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

In fact I am inclined to give the Zulus WildLand for peace. I dont think we have a hope in hell of keeping it...

[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

Melifluous

WildFire
12-04-2003, 21:50
Preturn: Everything looks good (besides all the Zulu guys wandering around)

1) The Zulu left the area. Made worker in WildLand. Making a spearman (10 turns). send worker to gold. More land to north!

2) Zulu scout comes down from the north :(. Make worker in A'Ville, switch to barracks (20). Go to incense with worker. Settler in two turns for M'ton. Take elite archer off A'Ville to get ready to accompany settler.

3) Begin road on both incense. Put archer on city, bring Elite spear to M'ton to accompany settler. Barracks in 9 for A'ville. Find cattle to north!

4) Settler made. Spearman in three. Going towards iron. Connected to incense! Switch spear to walls in WildLand.

5) Begin to mine gold. Go west to iron.

6) Finish walls in W'Land. Making granary in 30. FOUND another civ! Stopped turn...

WildFire
12-04-2003, 21:51
Notice the ARROW!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire444/2003412215121_someone.JPG
23.07KB

Melifluous
12-04-2003, 22:02
Still think we definately NEED that iron!

Go for it wildie!

Go Chargers! Go!

Melifluous

anarres
12-04-2003, 22:39
WildFire, if this gets you in time there a couple of important things I should say:

- Expansion to the north where we can build productive cities is far more important than either (1) iron (since we have horses) or (2) a lux (since we have the lux slider, and we are in desptism). We *have* to concentrate on building an army and takign the Zulu, everything else is meaningless atm. Horses will suit us fine, and have a decent upgrade path (e.g. Riders).

- Please micromanage a'ville for food, don't work a desert just for 1 shield per turn extra! Expansion to a decent size is much more important than sving a few turns on production now!

WildFire
13-04-2003, 00:06
Ok, but I am already close to that iron, was going to settle in like 2-3 turns.

anarres
13-04-2003, 00:26
The call is yours WF, it's not the end of the world either way. :)

ERIKK
13-04-2003, 10:30
SO, who are the blue guys?

anarres
13-04-2003, 15:42
What blue guys? Which other civ! [:o]

prettyvacant
13-04-2003, 15:46
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

SO, who are the blue guys?

the ones who shoot you if you're blue

WildFire
14-04-2003, 01:03
SHIT! I was typing and my internet bombed so when I hit submit, I lost all my turn stuff! So heres basically what it said without the redundant crap...

Pyroland was settled next to the iron. We know have contacts with the Americans, Koreans (BLUE), Babylon, Vikings and French (someones been trading...). Made another spear, micromanged A'ville for food.

Here you go...

WildFire
14-04-2003, 01:05
The save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/1050bc.sav

Pics:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/damnit2.JPG

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/eh.JPG

anarres
14-04-2003, 13:32
Checking Diplomacy every turn now is essential, later on we may get away every couple of turns, but for now it has to be every turn.

We need a summary of all the civs, what they have, etc. We should discuss the trade situation before any more turns are played.

P.S. Type your turns up in to a text editor! Never rely on internet connections/server timeouts, etc.

anarres
14-04-2003, 13:35
P.P.S. I'd like to see north from a'ville to before any decisions are made about future placement.

When I get home tonight I will post a pic, and check the diplo.

anarres
17-04-2003, 11:28
So, who's turn is it?

Arte you all waiting for me to look at the save or something??? [???]

WildFire
17-04-2003, 20:54
Its ekle's isnt it?

Melifluous
17-04-2003, 21:49
Yup,

Ekles turn...

Melifluous

PS. I Just got Freelancer, you now gotta shout to get my attention.
PPS. Is it a good game? Ever played elite? Want a 3D, nice graphics version?
PPPS. I rest my case...
[nuke][nuke][nuke][nuke][nuke][nuke][nuke]

anarres
17-04-2003, 22:48
[shout] IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH MEL?

[lol] Nothing to tell ya, just wanted to use the smiley ;)

Eklektikos
19-04-2003, 16:00
As requested by anarres (quite some time ago ):

Map of all but far east (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/DSG1050BC.gif)

[b]All opponents have:
Contact with Ottomans
Ceremonial Burial
Writing
Mathematics
Horseback Riding
Mapmaking

Koreans (Cautious) have:
Horses x0
Iron x0
Wines x6
10 Gold
10 cities + capital

Scandinavians (Annoyed) have:
Horses x0
Ivory x0
137 Gold
8 cities + capital

Americans (Annoyed) have:
Iron x1
Spices x5
104 Gold
15 cities + capital

French (Cautious) have:
Horses x0
Furs x3
Ivory x2
39 Gold
6 cities + capital

Babylonians (Annoyed) have:
Iron x0
Ivory x0
Gems x0
11 Gold
7 cities + capital

Zulus (Annoyed) have:
Horses x1
Silks x0
0 Gold
10 cities + capital

WildFire
24-04-2003, 12:59
So who's going??

anarres
24-04-2003, 14:13
I've been busy, but am ready for action again.

I think Mel has found a new game to play, so we are gonna have to win him back to Civ! [eek]

Eklektikos, could you play a turn or two at least and post a zoomed out map, including northern areas that we may be able to settle.

We need to remember defense, since the Zulu seem to have it in for us, and we could use several more cities to populate the north. a'ville is prime to let grow and rush 2 pop points (40 shields) to finish a granary, it will then be a perfect settler/worker factory. M'ton needs a granary if it hasn't got one yet, I can't remember but I don't think it does.

Good luck Eklektikos! :D

digger760
24-04-2003, 14:57

I've been busy, but am ready for action again.

I think Mel has found a new game to play, so we are gonna have to win him back to Civ! [eek]

I beleive he's getting bored of that already, but Rise of Nation is on the way

WildFire
24-04-2003, 16:37
I already got bored of civ and came back ;)

Counterstrike btw.

Melifluous
24-04-2003, 22:54
I's back!

If you were thinking of buying Freelancer, don't bother...

Nice game, looks pretty, nice width, poor depth...

If they could patch it or the MODs get hold of it and fix it it would be cool but 5 days max on this game...

Whats gonna on?

Ekkie?

Come on...[wavey]

Melifluous

Melifluous
02-05-2003, 16:54
OK,

I have mailed and CFC PM'ed Eklektikos.
If we hear nothing from him by 10am BST tomorrow (Saturday) I will at first skip his go for this turn and the next player can pick it up...

And that is...

anarres!

Have fun guys.

Melifluous

PS. To re-cap, no post here by 10am saturday 3rd may and we skip Eklek...

Melifluous
03-05-2003, 10:21
OK lets skip Eklektikos...

You ready for this yet anarres?
If not I'll take these turns if you like...

The last save is from WildFire444 and at the bottom of the previous page of this thread ![:o]

Melifluous

PS. I have mailed anarres informing him of this decision.

anarres
03-05-2003, 17:26
Mel, can you take this one please.

thanks

Melifluous
03-05-2003, 20:59
Before Turn - Observations...
Everyone is at least four techs ahead of us...
Turn 1 - 1050BC - Meliston builds settler starts Spearman. Setller heads north west of anarchyville.
Turn 2 - Yawn, check the diplo.
Buy Writing for world map and 50 gold...
Sell world map to Hammurabi for contact with the ottomans and 17 gold...
Buy map making from Korea for all our gold 194 gold and 1 gpt.
Sell map making to ottomans for Philosophy, Ceremonial Burial, his territory map and 15 gold.
phew...

Still need to get Mysticism, mathematics, code of laws, and horseback, but we have a few more techs than we did...
IT - Ottomans are building the Great Lighthouse
Turn 3 - Zzzz...
IT - French are building the Great Wall... (They have construction [:o] )
Turn 4 - Meliston completes spearman starts settler, that goes north to join the settler... Anarchyville builds barracks and starts Archer.
Turn 5 - Worker action management...
IT - Koreans building the great wall...
Turn 6 - The Stables settled north west of anarchyville. I think I just beat a Zulu settler/archer combo to the horses...
Start building barracks here... Also inadvertantly block the zulus from going west ;P. Settler builds soon...
I buy Horseback riding from the French for World map, 2gpt and 36 gold.
Turn 7 - Zzzz
IT - Ottomans building the Great wall.
Turn 8 - -Settler builds in Meliston goes north for the Cows! Starts spearman. Workers start building the road north of WildLand.
Turn 9 - Pyroland builds barracks and starts spearman. Archer in the west discovers two american settlements on our continent...
Turn 10 - I have a warrior sat down in the north, where I think the settler heading north should be put, 2 cows and horses ;)

And thats that really...

Game for you anarres...

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif DeitySG825BC.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Melifluous/200353205754_DeitySG825BC.sav)
152.18KB

anarres
03-05-2003, 21:05
I can pick this up later tonight.

Mel, any chance of a zoomed out screenshot?

Melifluous
03-05-2003, 22:32

I can pick this up later tonight.

Mel, any chance of a zoomed out screenshot?

OK hows this?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Melifluous/200353223217_Melilatest.JPG
143.22KB

anarres
04-05-2003, 17:48
preturn: anarchyville would have been better building a granary instead of barracks, it could have rushed the last 40 shields with 2 pop, then regrown quickly, and able to prduce workers/settlers much quicker. We are short on workers, only 5 workers (1 foreign) to 6 cities, and a 7th city on the way. Add to that the mountains and jungle and we really need twice that number. This is not a criticism of any play before this, but now we are expanding again we have to get more.

I switch M'tom and a'ville over to workers. Wildland has a tiles that can be irrigated and so it can grow well beyond size 2, this should be prioritised. Moving the citizens around in anarchyville allows us to drop lux to 10%.

(1) 800BC - M'tom produces worker -> settler. a'ville produces worker -> granary.

AI - French complette Great Lighthouse.

(2) 775BC - ...

AI - Koreans complete Great Wall. Wonder Cascade should die now.

(3) 750BC - nada

(4) 730BC - nada

Generally speaking I am trying to improve all the tiles currnetly being worked, there is irrigation going to W'land, and mining of the incense tiles anarchyville is using.

MM is happening every turn, especially for M'ton to grow every 2 turns while it is building a settler, and keeping a'ville below size 5 until it has 20 shields, then it will rush a granary.

(5) 710BC - Wildland produces granary. Switch to worker. Found Xinarres, earlier than Mel suggested, but only because we can still beat the Zulu settler to Mel's spot with our new worker, produced next turn in M'ton.

(6) 690BC - M'on produces settler -> settler. Lux to 0%.

(7) 670BC - The bastard Iroquois have landed a settler right in our soon to be territory. I have to seetle on the spot to stop them settling. The horses are just out of reach for the moment.

(8) 650BC - Wildland builds worker -> spearman. There is irrigation and deforresting happening now, it will be able to grow significantly.

anarchyville has 20 shields now, I have mm'd it and held it back so that it is only 2 food from expansion. I whip 2 citzens to rush the granary, and set it to get 1 food. When the granary is built and we expand we can now get the 10 food bonus.

(9) 630BC - anarchyville build granary -> worker.

There are some nasty AI settlers in our spots. I am playing 'block the settler', but I don't have enough troops to do it effectively:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200354174552_DSG.630BC.blocking.jpg
60.81KB

AI - Everyone starts the GL.

(10) M'ton produces settler -> settler. a'ville grows to size 3 and needs happiness. I set a scientist there and drop the tech slider to 0%.

We won one settler race but lost another:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200354174615_DSG.610BC.blocking.jpg
72.5KB

Everyone has Maths, Construction, Mysticism, Code of Laws. Everyone but the Zulu also has Literature.

Buy Lit from France for 109. Give Lit and 11 gold to Zulu for Maths. Set science to Currency, 0% (1 scientist).

Download Save: icon_paperclip.gifDSG 610BC (version 1.14f) (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200354174752_DSG.610BC.sav)
167.83KB

Eklektikos
04-05-2003, 22:06
I'd like to apologise for having held this game up so much, and suggest that you may as well drop me from the play roster since I don't seem able to rely on having enough free time to play my turns as they come up :(

Melifluous
04-05-2003, 22:08
quote:Originally posted by Eklektikos

I'd like to apologise for having held this game up so much, and suggest that you may as well drop me from the play roster since I don't seem able to rely on having enough free time to play my turns as they come up :(

If you fancy 10 turns then the save is there now...

Wildfire and Eklektikos,
whoever picked it up first, could they post here to say they are playing it...

Melifluous

WildFire
05-05-2003, 01:54
I'll play!!!

Tomorrow ;)

anarres
05-05-2003, 02:01
WildFire, pay extra special attention to mm'ing M'tom and a'ville, since they share 2 high food tiles.

There is 1 settler heading north, he may be able to settle next to the remaining cow, play it by ear.

W'land needs to be getting +2 food until it is size 3, it needs to grow.

We need to build horses soon, so concentrate on that. A couple of spears wouldn't go amiss, but horses is really what we need in abundance.

Maybe 1 more settler to the north, but I think even that is a waste of resources (since it will be almost totally corrupt for a long time). We can always use another worker or two, but we have about the right number now.

Soon we will have a horsemen army and hopefully we can crush the Zulu before they get Pikes. [hammer]

WildFire
05-05-2003, 02:41

WildFire, pay extra special attention to mm'ing M'tom and a'ville, since they share 2 high food tiles.

There is 1 settler heading north, he may be able to settle next to the remaining cow, play it by ear.

W'land needs to be getting +2 food until it is size 3, it needs to grow.

We need to build horses soon, so concentrate on that. A couple of spears wouldn't go amiss, but horses is really what we need in abundance.

Maybe 1 more settler to the north, but I think even that is a waste of resources (since it will be almost totally corrupt for a long time). We can always use another worker or two, but we have about the right number now.

Soon we will have a horsemen army and hopefully we can crush the Zulu before they get Pikes. [hammer]

Ok, will keep all of this in mind when I play. Oh yeah, being in english this semester....isnt extra special attention really really really really redundant?[nono]

anarres
05-05-2003, 15:39
Well, it's not redundant since you applied so much attention to it. ;)

WildFire
05-05-2003, 21:45
Preturn: Looked everything over…looked alright. Vikings are building the Great Library…as are the French…and the Zulu…. Play on!

1) 590BC----Changed Meliton settler to spearman to get ready for a war ;)… Other than that zzzzz

2) 570BC---- Barracks made in Stables, set to work on warrior for swords upgrades…Zulu archer fortifies outside territory…Not much though…

3) 550BC---- Spearman made, as was a worker. The zulu are going up towards our cattle aargh! Met the french way to the north! Of course they have a warrior and a settler ;) …

4)530BC---- The french settle where they were…Think I am going to settle next turn….The Americans Zulu and I are going for the same place ;) I don’t like these American swords…

5) 510BC----Americans are building the Hanging Gardens….Settled Unregiston (brother was watching)…

6) 490BC----Oops….Capital goes into disorder (5) and so does Anarchy (4)….forgot they were pissed about someone whipping…TWO french cities up north. Our little continent is a multicultural center! ;)

7)470BC----nada

8)450BC----Both settlers from up north do not settle! I musta made them made ;)---AMERICA IS AT WAR WITH THE ZULU! Chopped down forest near capital and found a bonus!

9)430BC----The zulu look like they want to go through us to America. I think I’ll let them ;)

10) 410BC----The zulu are moving lots of Impis….through our land.

Next up!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire444/200355214434_gameannares2.JPG
239.49KB[/size=

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire444/20035521450_gameannares.JPG
[size=1] 58.46KB1]

Melifluous
05-05-2003, 22:01
Erm where's the save file dude??

[confused]

Melifluous

WildFire
06-05-2003, 16:05
omfg i forgot the save.

Will post it tonight. So who is taking over for Ekle or is he still with us?

WildFire
06-05-2003, 20:01
sorry

[b]Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif Dsg390bc.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire444/20035620116_Dsg390bc.sav)
182.84KB

Melifluous
06-05-2003, 22:57

sorry[blush2]

No worries

You can please some of the people all the time
and all people (UN) some of the time

but you cant please all the people all the time (Iraq) (or Matrix Deathmatch PBEM)

melifluous

WildFire
07-05-2003, 02:33
Ah, the Deathmatch PBEM, how I wish to have continued that. Cause I would of whooped ur ass with the guys I was landing ;)

Plus my alliances with Matrix and Unregister so we would of had you from the north, south and the east.

Eklektikos
07-05-2003, 11:20

omfg i forgot the save.

Will post it tonight. So who is taking over for Ekle or is he still with us?

With you in spirit and definitely watching the game to see how it pans out, but my availability to actually play seems to be a bit too erratic to allow me to participate at the moment.

anarres
07-05-2003, 12:42
Eklektikos,

If you want it take it. As long as you post that you have it, and you return it in 24 hours I don't think it's a problem that you can't commit full time. :)

anarres
07-05-2003, 23:54
Got it.

Preturn: Setting lux from 0% to 10% costs 2 commerce and gives us 4 commerce, 4 food and 2 shields back in return. ;)

[eek] Science is set to a whopping 70%! We were doing token 40 turn research on Currency, why are we now pouring money in to it? Currency is in 11 turns, but at 70% we are getting 2 gpt, this is not the way to win on Deity!

There is no change of Research rate in the notes. Did you change it in turn 1 or 10, it makes a huge difference...

The idea is not to research techs that every other civ already has. It is much better to keep the gold and buy them cheaper than the research cost.

Our main problem now is that we should have been saving money to buy Code of Laws then do 40 turn Republic research. Whatever we spent on currency was meant to be disposable, now it is too much of an investment.

I guess we now need to set science to 0%. We can buy Currency at it's reduced rate at any time now until we change research, and there is no chance of that since the only thing we'd want to research is Republic.

I haven't got time to play the turns tonight, I will play tomorrow.

WildFire
08-05-2003, 00:46
I might of recruited Cartouche Bee as a 4th possible member. Not sure yet.

anarres
08-05-2003, 10:22
WF, can we get an answer as to when you changed the tech rate please?

WildFire
08-05-2003, 12:45
Uh, somewhere around turn 8-9 I think.

WildFire
15-05-2003, 00:39
Someone gonna play it?

anarres
15-05-2003, 01:05
Me. Sorry, RL interferance. [sad]

Melifluous
15-05-2003, 09:42
Sheesh come on man, lets get going

Sorry to hear that RL is getting in the way of Civ for ya anarres...

Annoying aint it ;)

Melifluous

anarres
17-05-2003, 01:04
01 (370BC) - Building horses...

02 - Produce Horseman in M'ton -> Horseman. Produce worker in A'ville -> Horseman.

AI - America demands 27 gold, I give it to him.

03 - [sleep]

AI - The numerous Zulu AI have been moving across our territory west to fight the Koreans, they kill a lone Korean archer and suddenly move back east. [confused]

04 - Produce Barracks in Xinarres -> Warrior. Build an embassy with the Zulu for 34 gold. We need to redirect their agression until we can take them on. They are currently at war with the Vikings and America.

05 - [sleep]

06 - M'ton produces Horseman -> Settler. The Stables produces Hoorsemen -> Horsemen. Tienarres rushes Harbour to get some trade routes open. Change W'land to Temple (7 turns) to let us get 2 more incense for trade.

07 - Tienarres builds Harbour -> Warrior. We now have trade routes with France and the Zulu's.

08 - a'ville produces Horseman -> Warrior.

AI - America finishes the Hanging Gardens.

09 - [sleep]

10 - M'tom produces Settler -> Horseman. a'ville produses Warrior -> Warrior.

Notes

The settler is for a city one tile west from it's current location.

We are 3 turns from connecting the Iron in Pyroland. After this is done we can upgrade the warriors I have been building. We should have enough to take a few Zulu cities, and take at least a couple of productive centers withing the next 10 turns.

There is a warrior next turn in Xinarres which can join the foot soldiers (warriors to be upgraded and archers) in The Stables. This force should be enough to take Umfolozi.

The horses outside a'ville can get to the masked Zulu city in the East in 2 turns. This city will need to be raised as it is close to Zimbabwe and the Zulu will be able to get forces there quickly. Once it is raised the horses will need to withdraw, maybe to help Umfolzi fight of the counter attack.

The foot soldiers in a'ville can get to Amatikulu in 2, and the foot soldiers in Pyroland can get to Intombe in 2.

The red dots are the locations for the attack routes. The city with R on is the only one that has to be raised, although Umfolzi may need to be abandoned if the Zulu forces are too heavy. The only thing holding back the attack now is iron a few more spearmen to defend Umfolzi when it is taken.

The southern Zulu cities are only worthwhile taking so we can cleanse the southwest of Zulu forces, allowing us to concentrate our forces in the east. The foot soldiers used to take the 2 southern cities will probably need to be sent east after the attack to help wiht the counter attack.

Being 6 techs away from the Middle Ages is a long way, we are going to have to make a quick assault on the Zulu before they have pikes (hoping they don't already have them!), and then we will need to fight a very defensive war until we can get Med. Inf and Pikes ourselves.

If there are forces left after the first wave of attacks use them wisely and defensively, allow the zulu to approach and try to pick off the Impi, ending turns in cities if possible.

I have tried to prepare the groundwork for a small offensive, I hope you enjoy it - it will be difficult. [soldier]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/20035171357_DSG.190BC.2.jpg
243.26*KB

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif DSG.190bc.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200351711112_DSG.190bc.sav)
198.12KB

jack merchant
17-05-2003, 14:16
If everyone's alright with it, I'll join and (well, why not?) pick it up now.

Melifluous
19-05-2003, 14:29
Sounds Good to Me...

updated rota

Jack ... UP NOW
Meli ... On Deck
WF444
anarres

Go Jack...

Melifluous

(Team Admin)

anarres
19-05-2003, 15:12
[coool]

jack merchant
20-05-2003, 00:11
IHT No changes

Americans complete Great Library, start Leonardo's. Others cascade to Sun Tzu and Sistine. The Zulu start Sun Tzu :eek:

170 BC (1) Xinarres warrior - warrior. Spot 7 regular impi moving through the jungle - we'll have to hit the Zulu fast and hard now.

150 BC (2) Found the town of Jacquerie as ordered - it starts a harbour. A'ville produces worker, starts warrior - we'll need more swords !

IT Zulu and Scandinavia sign peace, but the Zulu are still sending more troops through our lands towards the American cities.

130 BC (3) Iron comes online and we upgrade 7 warriors to swords - game on next turn !

IT Spot a vet Zulu Med Inf :eek:

110 BC (4) Zulu declare war after being told to leave - thanks Shaka ! Banking on AI predictability, I had first bought mysticism and CoL for 15 gpt. War happiness sets in saving us from having to run an entertainer in Meliston. Our troops set out for Umfolozi and discover a regular pike there. The foot soldiers from A'ville set out for Amatikulu as planned. The horseman stack moves to the Zulu iron mountain, but as it turns out the Zulu have another iron hooked up somewhere. I keep foot soldiers back in Pyroland and Meliston until I find out what the Zulu stacks are going to do.

IT New arrivals bump up the number of visible Zulu units to 33 !

90 BC (5) We actually manage to capture Umfolozi, defended by 2 regular pikes, at the cost of a sword and an archer. I retreat the horses and the foot soldiers from A'ville back to our lands - let the Zulu come to us so we can slog it out in open terrain.

70 BC (6) Zulu move to Meliston - I speed up its growth so it can reach size 7 next turn. Wildland builds a spear as 3 impi move in that direction.

IT Zulu kill a spear and a hurt sword in the open at the cost of 1 horse and 1 retreat - I couldn't get them back to Meliston in time,

50 BC (7) Kill 3 Med infs and an archer near A'ville. Horses also kill an impi and 2 horses near Meliston at the cost of one horse. I realize I overlooked guarding the iron what with scrambling to defend Meliston and it costs us a sword to dislodge the Impi there. There are nearly 50 Zulu units visible !

IT 2 exposed horses die but take 5 impis with them. The Zulu also lose an archer, 3 horses and a med inf but capture A'ville :mad: We are now in serious trouble. I tried to kill as many Zulu as I could to get them to talk but they're not interested.

30 BC (8) This is not good at all - we have 5 swords, 4 archers and 4 horses. I try to send our archers from Pyroland up to reinforce.

10 BC (9) We remain holed up in the towns while Impi ravage the countryside - I think there is an opportunity to recapture A'ville and move up 2 swords. Impi make short work of our archers, even though they were on hills.

10 AD (10) The attack on A'ville fails on 1 hitpoint - we are really f**ked now. Still about 30 Zulu around.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/200352001116_MeliSG_Zulu.jpg
82.15KB

jack merchant
20-05-2003, 00:15
Not the best job ever on my part - but I've never seen so many AI units this early in the game even on deity unless playing Always war. We are in deep and maybe unrecoverable trouble. I'm sorry.

I'll post the save once I have figured out how to upload an attachment, or is that the same as for images ?

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif DSG_10AD.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/jack merchant/200352004425_DSG_10AD.sav)
207.16KB

DrAlimentado
20-05-2003, 00:17
[:O] oh boy, are you in trouble now!

DrAlimentado
20-05-2003, 00:18
upload is same as images Jack (Ignore the text! ;))

WildFire
20-05-2003, 12:47
Fuck

Melifluous
20-05-2003, 14:13

Fuck

Yup

anarres
20-05-2003, 14:22
Not sure what to say, other than good luck!

I've not lost a game in a loooong time, in fact, this may be my second of third loss *ever* unless Mel pulls the magic rabbit out.

jack merchant
20-05-2003, 14:22
Yep - and keep in mind that some of those aren't single units, but stacks - there are at least 20 impi on the loose in our lands.

anarres
20-05-2003, 14:45
I see they have pikes now too. [cry]

WildFire
22-05-2003, 23:50
Someone go!

*Looks at Meli*

jack merchant
23-05-2003, 01:47
I'm frankly not sure what the point would be - we are as dead as a doornail here. I'm sorry that things went downhill so fast on my first turn here, but when I started the prepared assault on the Zulu, I had no inkling of how big exactly the Zulu army would turn out to be.

WildFire
23-05-2003, 02:21
Fine, I'll be the one to get pissed off.

Playing now.........

WildFire
23-05-2003, 02:38
Got out of the war. I was kinda just breezing through it waiting to lose, and all of a sudden, we lost a few guys, got stuff pillaged, but the great negotiator WildFire got a peace treaty for only 80 gold! Koreans made Sistine Chapel! Zulu have knights! Ottomans got art of War.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire444/200352323746_w00t.JPG
181.44KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire444/20035232374_damnit!!.JPG
169.3KB

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif 2003522crapDSG 90AD.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire444/200352323838_2003522crapDSG 90AD.SAV)
210.49KB

jack merchant
23-05-2003, 09:43
Great work on signing peace there though WildFire ! Shame about Umfolozi - seeing a city flip to the Zulu of all people [crazyeye]

We'll just have to see how it turns out now.

Btw, how about an FP in WildLand ?

WildFire
23-05-2003, 12:42
Lots of stuff got pillaged, but luckily, they didnt pillage the cattle (stupid AI). Also, I am just guessing, but the AI seems to be about 10 techs in front of us.

Melifluous
23-05-2003, 13:11
Got it

Not happy about WF playing my turn but what can I do...

Melifluous

WildFire
23-05-2003, 14:11
You had 3 days, no one took it, so I did. You could always replay it ;)

col
23-05-2003, 14:26
Hows it going over here guys? Havent looked. Honest.
Our game is pretty slow.

anarres
23-05-2003, 14:39
Our game is up shit creek sans paddle. The Zulu sneak attacked *really* early and have not stopped building military.

Maybe we should be allowed to peek soon, I am curious.

In relation to this game, maybe we should divert the Zulu on to someone else they can reach. Lets declare war on someone over the seas and set the Zulu on them.

col
23-05-2003, 15:42
We have full view of all our island and partial view of our immediate neighbours. We too are at war with the Zulus but PP has just played an awesome turn that may turn the tide until its my go. We arent even playing the same civ iirc so maybe it might be Ok to check out each others threads now.

Melifluous
31-05-2003, 20:46
Assume I will sell our WM to everyone, every turn. On average this works out as about 6gpt [:o]

PreTurn - 90AD - Zulus are at war with the Americans and the Vikings... I up lux from 10% to 30% to get 4 entertainers working.
IT - Zulu declare war on the Koreans.
1st Turn (110AD) - Meliston Spear -> Sword. WildLand Spear -> Harbor. Xinarres Sword -> Courthouse. Unregiston changed to Temple. Sell WM around, all pay 1 gold, except Osman (no gold) and Hamu (2 gold)
IT - Zulus spread across our lands :( Koreans complete Leos in P'yongyang.
2nd Turn (130AD) - The Stables Walls -> Harbor. MM going on. When offering our WM I notice that the advisor is telling us to be careful of Ragnar as 'he has betrayed our friends the zulu' Get funny looks from people on the train as I piss myself laughing.
3rd Turn (150AD) - Tienarres Sword -> Courthouse. Someone has automated the workers at Unregiston [nono] I buy Currency from Korea for WM, 2gpt and 123 gold. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Meliston changed to Marketplace. WildLand changed to Marketplace.
IT - OMFG! [rofl] - Ottomans declare war on the Zulu. The entire Zulu army is south of Meliston :)
4th Turn (170AD) - Zzzz, Hmm if Osman does a bit of damage to Shaka soon we may be able to get an MA with Zulu for Republic and some gpt... Interesting. Already Poly and MA against Otto only costs 3 gpt and 35 gold compared to 9gpt and 38 gold for Poly with our good friend King Kong.
5th Turn (190AD) - Zzzz
IT - Americans and French building Bachs
6th Turn (210AD) - Zzzz
IT - Zulus request an audience? They want an MA vs Otto and ROP. I suggest something different. They aint interested and I give em 1 gold for their effort. Koreans are building Coperni
7th Turn (230AD) - PyroLand Catapult -> Courthouse. Jacquerite Harbour -> Barracks. YAY! I can trade Incense, 2gpt and 78 gold for republic!!! I also get an MA with the Zulu and Polytheism and 1 gold for 5gpt. Hope this aint too [spliffy]
8th Turn (250AD) - Zzzz
9th Turn (260AD) - Zzzz
IT - Zulus finally destroy a Korean city south of Pyroland. Bout time, they threw enough at it... Wonder if we can sneak a settler in?
10th Turn (270th) - Melisland Marketplace -> Settler. Nice timing, this is for the hole left by the Koreans. If we are lucky the Zulus will take out the Koreans city west of there and we can claim the Dyes there. 2 or 3 dyes could be available. They would be a massive help. Still not switched to Repiblic yet. Will suggest we get this settler out first. I also rush the temple in Unregiston, we need them cows and another horsey to sell.

And thats that.

Have fun anarres!

Melifluous

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif DeitySG270AD.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Melifluous/2003531204541_DeitySG270AD.sav)
222.19KB

anarres
04-06-2003, 21:42
This is in 1.21 now and not 1.14. I guess all the current players can play 1.21 so I assume it's fine.

WildFire
04-06-2003, 21:51
Oh crap, I musta played it with 1.21. My bad.

anarres
05-06-2003, 22:48
preturn (270AD): Change M'ton from Settler to Horseman. Change The Staples from Harbour to Temple. We really need culture there as there is a risk of flip. I have sent lots of troops there to help from all around the empire. MM Stables for production, Temple in 12 turns.

We can't get anarchy yet since we are paying 9gpt to other civs. I can get anarchy in about 7 or 8 turns, but.....

Instead I get an alliance against the Koreans with the Zulu, getting Construction with it for 17 gold and 11 gpt. Set science to minimum science Feudalism. This is a huge saving on the normal cost, IMO it is worth having to wait another 5 or even 10 turns for Republic. Set lux from 30% to 20%.

1 - Unregiston builds Temple -> Courthouse.

AI - Zulu and the Vikings sign Peace Treaty.

2 - [sleep]

AI - Vikings demand 10 gold (that's all of it) and WM. I hesitate but in the end give in like a good little doggy. [cry]

Ottos are building Copernicus'...

3 - M'ton builds Horse -> Settler. Lux can drop now to 10%.

4 - Get Spices and 3 gpt from the Americans for Incense.

5 - M'ton builds Settler -> Horse. Jacuerie builds barracks -> Horse.

I have mm'd Xinarres to 40 shields, rush 2 pop for a courthouse.

America demands 14 gold and WM despite having an active lux trade. [rolleyes]

6 - Xinarres builds Courthouse -> Horse. Wildland builds Marketplace -> Harbour.

AI - Americans are building Mallegan's Voyage.

7 - Hurry Temple in The Stables.

AI - America and Zulu sign Peace Treaty.

Koreans are building Mallegan's.

8 - M'ton builds Horse -> Horse. Stables builds Temple -> Horse.

Found anyang next to the Dyes, it is missing one of it's 8 surrounding tiles, but it was either that or settle it 2 tiles from Pyroland.

9/10 - [sleep]

Generally we are doing OK now. If the Zulu attack before we are ready we could well still lose, but it is not a certainty if they do.

Horses are best to build now I think, we will need them for our Rider Army. Courthouses, Harbour and Temples are OK where they are required but we shouldn't waste the shields if they will not give decent benifits.

Pop rushes are useful, remember to mm your shields to exactly 20 or 40 away and rush in stages if needed.

Republic may be possible now, we have saved 74 gold up and getting 14 gpt, and we are giving 16 gpt to the Zulu. Another 2 or 3 turns should be enough gold to cover a 7 turn anarchy, I don't think 8 turns is possible with these few cities.

We are 31 turns from Feudalism, remember to keep a scientist going during any period of anarchy. Good luck!

P.S. Dyes connect next turn so lux can drop to 0%, and although Meliston says it will build in 2 turns it will get the shield it requires from it's growth this turn.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200365225117_DSG_370AD_map.jpg
128.53*KB

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gifDSG.370AD.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/200365225212_DSG.370AD.SAV)
228.72*KB

WildFire
17-06-2003, 16:32
Well? Who's next? Jack I thought...

Also, we upgrading this to 1.21 right?

anarres
17-06-2003, 17:28
you already did upgrade it to 1.21 ;)

WildFire
17-06-2003, 18:09
Oh, erm... *cough*

Oh yeah [lol]

So why has it stalled? Is Jack not interested? ;)

Or are you still stalling him?

Or is he [sleep]

Melifluous
18-06-2003, 12:33
Tell you what WF, why dont you take it next and we can good give Jack a good kicking over it later?

[}:)]

Melifluous

WildFire
18-06-2003, 17:57
Fine, I'll play it later

WildFire
18-06-2003, 20:13
Preturn- Everything looks fine so I’m gonna leave everything as is.

1) Zulu back away…M’ton makes horsemen set to work on another horsie. Silks connected.

2) Jac makes horsie, Wildland makes a harbor. Korea makes Copernicus.
Get peace with Ottomans. 48 lump sum and 4gpt. Get 2gpt from Korea for peace.

3) I trade our last incense to the Koreans for Wines and 15gpt so we don’t gain a luxury but we do get more income.

4) Saw a Korean caravel ;) switch courthouse to a temple in Pyroland because there is only 1 corruption.

5) Set to work on Library in Pyroland (temple is finished)

6) [sleep]

7) nothing to report really. Moved some units.

8) ZULU approach our capital with 2 knights and 2 impi’s (one elite impi). Switch horsie to spearman in M’ton.

9) All but 1 knight retreat. Paegam now belongs to the Zulu…

10) Pyroland culture expands.

We have 508 total gold and 57gpt. Feudalism is in 22 turns.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire/200361820959_dsg460AD.JPG
172.37KB

And here is the turn

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif Dsg460ad.sav (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/WildFire/2003618201316_Dsg460ad.sav)
231.94KB

WildFire
25-06-2003, 19:28
I did play the turn you know... next ;)

Shabbaman
18-07-2003, 11:59
No play since the 25th of june? Demotivated? Maybe I shouldn't have put you guys next to the zulu's.

ProPain
04-08-2003, 12:30
He guys, are you still playing?? After a loooong pause (mainly cause by 1.14/1.21 issues) we are now on the move again. Damn zulus declared war on us, but we're busting shakas behind. [evil]

How about allowing for reading each others spoilers after we have contact with all civs and full WM? We're there so if you are too we can compare notes.

PP

ProPain
11-08-2003, 19:11
WAKE UP CALL!!!!!

is this game dead or what?? How about spoiler swapping guys?

anarres
12-08-2003, 01:33
Sure, read our spoiler. I am happy to carry on, let's see if we can re-sign 4 people for this, starting with me.

ProPain
12-08-2003, 08:57
Great to see you guys going again. Damn Shaka declared war on both of us, but we had considerable more luck. OUr empire was larger and the RNG more friendly. We're ready to incorporate Shaka in the great Iroquois empire.

Melifluous
17-08-2003, 21:53
Yeah I'm still interested.

Place me after you anarres ;)

Melifluous

WildFire
17-08-2003, 22:33
I'll be after Meli.

Kingreno
28-08-2003, 17:52
Is this still going anywhere or do you concede?

Pastorius
05-06-2005, 00:35
I guess they gave up, huh