PDA

View Full Version : Erikk vs Beam IV - * * SPOILER * *

Beam
26-06-2004, 16:07
Turn 48:

Demi light. Erikk plays France, I play India. I don't recall a PBEM where I had so little contacts with other AI at this point. Just 2: Russia and Greece. Russia is my immediate neighbour and basically is blocking the bottleneck. Both have WC and IW, Cathy has Maths as well.

Everthing else is going pretty well. Quite ahead of Erikk in Civscore and room enough for expansion. My neighbours don't make a real impression, once expansion is over a well planned attack should wipe out Russia, evt. followed by a chunk of Greece. In a couple of turns I know if the Philo run made sense.

The settler factory in Madras is up and running.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004626155844_evb4mapt48.jpg
221.97KB

Beam
27-06-2004, 12:54
Turn 52:

Lost the Phil. run. :(. Going for Literature at max. now. Greece and Russia still are the only known AI and did not even want to trade IW for Phil.

The good news is the 4 different luxes on the peninsula, all available once Russia is gone. Erikk is telling me there are hordes of barbs near him now, not an issue for me (yet).

anarres
27-06-2004, 14:51
Who got Phil? Was it ERIKK?

Beam
27-06-2004, 15:07
Dunno, but unlikely since I've been researching Writing and Phil full-speed, ahead in Civ-score all the time and Nr.1 in all relevant catagories most of the time.

Just established an embassy with Greece and they are at war with Cathy! Good news cause they won't be focussing on expansion now and Greece most likely is in an early GA.

Beam
27-06-2004, 16:12
Turn 64:

A scouting warrior finally sees a French curragh. Just before Erikk told me he was doing a trade round and indeed there are no techs I have he doesn't have. He must know Russia because Cathy all of a sudden had 2 extra techs. The Russian scout must have made it to France.

It is very likely that most of the AI know each other now and therefore techprices should drop. If I can complete Lit. in time then I might be able to catch up 5 techs at least.

Turn 67:

A warrior makes it through Greece and contacts Otto. One more Civ to trade with once Lit. is in, I am hopeful cause it is 2 turns away now.

Pop a hut by settling and het HBR. [dance]

Beam
03-07-2004, 14:58
Turn 93:

Expansion phase is over. Here is the current Indian empire:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200473145220_map690bc.jpg
208.83KB

And the Demographics:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20047314548_demogr690bc.jpg
28.23KB

Erikk is #1 in pop according to F8. India is 4th in Civscore and moving away from France while closing in on #3. Germans just declared war on the French, so erikk is enjoying war happiness now.

Erikk also told me he has just one lux like me. I managed a Currency for lux plus gold deal with Cathy.

Researching Mono, I bet erikk is researching Rep. I will go straight to Chiv and conquer Russia with Elephants.

Beam
05-07-2004, 23:02
Turn 138:

Well into the Russian campaign and those Elephants with their extra HP rock! All Russian cities on the last pic are Indian now and the stack is moving to Moskou where Leo is waiting. From there it is just another 4 Russian cities. With the GA and being backward (erikk did a great job of preventing me from 2fers if i'm not mistaken it was him) techs come in at 4 turns each. The first 2fer is near: Gunp. for Theol. from the Babs who are still alive despite erikk nearly finished them. If they land a settler near India it for sure will get a site for a Bab city [evil]. Erikk sustains war with the Babs to handle flips I guess. He has to choose between flips or a 2fer for me. ;)

Outlook:
India will be slightly larger than France after the Russian campaign, offering a very slightly better economy. Even if India can get back into the techrace again erikk still has the advantage of a GA I'm sure he hasn't had yet. Otoh, one of my scouts saw that the French were doing the Bab campaign with non-mounted units basically. So they prob. still have to build some of those while India can upgrade straight from Elephants to Cav. cheap with Leo in place.

With the Russian campaign going well I'm considering to invade Greece, but not until our RoP deal is over.

Beam
06-07-2004, 23:40
Turn 144:

Time for a brief update. Only reason Cathy is still in the game is cause I wanted to heal the only elite Elephant and give it a try for a leader on the remnants of the Ruskies. Got only 2 elites in the whole campaign, the first being killed on the fields near Leningrad.

The minimap for the strategical situation:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20047623612_t144minimap.jpg
16.17KB

A hell of a walk from India to France and v.v.! From left to right:
- Germany
- Persia
- Otto
- Greece

Germany is monarch and India is average in military compared to them. Persia and Otto are a joke looking at the stats but helped to close the tech gap with erikk. India is strong compared to Greece.

France could trade maps in t139, I am pretty sure erikk got there by trading bottom-line MA techs and he can safely sent ships cross-ocean. Also have to assume he can build Cavs by now. Since Germany is a potential danger however I do not expect him to sent a full load but prob. 2 or 3 ships with Cavs.

France has a Rop with everyone except Germany and India. This means an overland invasion isn't very likely atm.

So, although I am tempted to go for Greece now (which is very well winnable) and get some wonders I'll have to look for a loophole and be prepared for a couple of French Cavs upcoming turns. They are very welcome!

anarres
07-07-2004, 01:40
Maps like this really freak me out. I never expect the sea invasion and always get caught with my pants round my ankles. [hmm]

Aggie
07-07-2004, 07:17
You wanted to be far away from each other, didn't you ;)

Beam
07-07-2004, 16:21
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

You wanted to be far away from each other, didn't you ;)

We did Aggie and although this map is freaking it is a challenge to find the road to victory when behind in tech (but catching up).

Opening the sav for the morning turn saw a flip of a former Russian city to Greece! Fortunately there was just one defender in there. Finished of Russia, a city on the SE pen. Difficult to defend and in a deed of [evil] I gifted it to the Babylonians hoping to cause flips in erikk's former Bab cities.

Bought Chem. and traded with Persia and got the gpt for Chem. back :). Had to throw my WM in the Chem. deal however. Checked all Civs and just Greece and Ottomans are ahead in mand. techs, Astr. + Mett. and Astr. respectively.

The flip more or less confirms not to go for Greece now, with 2 fronts it would have been a difficult campaign anyway. Indian focus is builder mode now, FP will be in place at about the end of GA and Universities should be a great help in the techrace.

Beam
11-07-2004, 23:23
Turn 155:

GA was over last turn and India is researching MT while France just started invading Germany having a MA with Persia to back'm up. Germany lost both Iron and Horsies to France and are happy to trade Astronomy + some gpt for those resources. :) India still lacks the WM and Otto is willing to trade their WM + change for Incense. First pic of France and basically as expected, all tiles are worked etc.

Since MT is 1 turn away I check prices with Alex and Otto. Alex is happy to trade MT for 79 cash + WM, deal! Poor Jerxes, ally with France vs. Germany, doesn't know MT yet, is familiar with Banking however. A deal is made easily. Germany needs a little help vs. France so they get MP for Monarchy and small gpt. Tax to the max for upgrades. :D

The Indian GA started 21 turns ago when they just knew Feud, Mon and Chiv. Gained 11 MA techs since then, can't complain. :)

Turn 156:

French primitive vessel (Caravel) at the W coast, erikk prob. is nervous now and is showing muscle [:p]. It could drop 3 units ashore. Bunch of Cavs are present. Elephant near Berlin to examine the type of stack he uses for attacking. ;) WM shows that erikk has been examining overseas routes, me sure it ain't for trading.

Beam
25-07-2004, 02:47
Turn 183:

Fucking middle of the night. This is the current minimap:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200472522431_minimapt183.jpg
10.91KB

On the left is France possesing former Babylonia (not entirely, India is hosting a Babylonian galley with a settler) and former Germany (definately). France is working her way through Persia atm.

On the right is India possesing former Russia and finishing Greece who have just one city left. There is a size 1 Persian city on that right side as well, it's raison d'etre subject to discussion. ;)

In the middle is Osman who just managed to raze a Greek city with those mighty Sipahi's. Great job Osman!

Agreed with Erikk that we would not attack each other until Tanks were around and settle terms later. India will learn Industrialization next turn and will hopefully be the first to do so. Erikk is running for ToE (my guess) and since he went into the IA ahead I see no reason to make an attempt as well.

Leaves us with the bottleneck connecting the Ottomans with Persia. It very much resembles the Himalaya. Acquiring one of the bottleneck tiles is plain fucking key.

Beam
25-07-2004, 22:46
Turn 194:

This is getting really interesting. Erikk is one turn from ToE. We both have RepParts. He lacks Industrialization. I have a city with a factory next to a river throwing out 45 shields per turn with an option for 4 or 5 more if I tweak it.

I am pretty sure he used a Palace prebuild for ToE since there are no GW around for him to use as a prebuild and there is no sign in F7 he is building one. Most important, if he wants shields in a city he has to build a factory first. And he can only do that with Ind.

My guess is he will sell Atomic around to get Ind., rush a factory and head for Hoovers. This means Atomic will be available at Cheapo and fast to research. Electronics will be the tough bit for research. For that reason India just went into anarchy for Demo to squeeze that one turn out of research and have those fast workers.

Sidenote: Erikk is average in the MilAdv. I've got 7 Infs and 23 Cavs running around to accomplish that. [tongue]

anarres
25-07-2004, 22:51
Hmm. Have you considered stealing instead of researching Electronics?

Beam
25-07-2004, 23:03
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Hmm. Have you considered stealing instead of researching Electronics?

Sure I did. It would require both Esp. and IntelAg. however. Will see next turn!

Beam
31-07-2004, 17:50
Turn 211:

Missed Hoover by 1 turn. Better said: Erikk got it basically because he is #1 in the queue. Did a couple of calculations and decided not to go for the stealing road cause it would mean that the prebuild would be slower than the straight tech research. I could change to UniSuf and complete it so no shields lost and although UniSuf isn't as good as Hoovers it ain't bad either.

Every city with a reasonable shield output is set to Hydro or Factory.

Erikk and me are currently discussing when we can attack each other and it will be an arms race until then. We both would like to play a Tank campaign :)

Aggie
31-07-2004, 17:52
Do you have a new world map?

Beam
31-07-2004, 17:57
I'll post it once I get the next sav. It very much looks like the last one btw, just imagine Persia and Greece are not there anymore. Persia has one city left on my side and will be dead once my deals with them are over.

And there is a Babylonian galley on my coast. Good voters they are. But I don't think that galley will survive the era of motorized Navies.

EDIT:

Minimap:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004731191235_minimapt212.jpg
13.44KB

Future battlefield:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004731191336_t212futurebattlefield.jpg
282.48KB

ProPain
01-08-2004, 01:30
why not donate the babs a city in your lands. If you make it unreachable for Erik and kill the otto's it's a diplo vic waiting to happen if they are the good voters you claim them to be.

Aggie
01-08-2004, 05:55
And you said the world map just looked about the same? ;) Looks like ERIKK is in a great position to defend his empire. I don't see how you can get him from that choke.

Beam
01-08-2004, 15:28
Finally, finally a MGL [dance] while taking out the last Persian city. I even managed to get it out of the battlezone, build some RR, build an army, fill it up and kill a Persian Inf. So India has a victorious army and construction of the MilAcad will be finished 5 t from now.

@Aggie, that bottleneck has been a concern since I found it. I hope to be able to take Osman out before erikk does and control the bottleneck from the other side.

We also agreed to exclude DiploVic but to leave Spacerace in just in case we end up in a stalemate.

Beam
04-09-2004, 16:38
Turn 242 update:

We agreed peace until turn 255 then it is gloves of. Just researched Tanks.
With all excess food mined away and some extensive micromanaging 7 cities do Tanks in 2 turns, 8 in 3 turns and a couple in 4 or 5 turns. All finetuned to 0 or +1 food and 0 to +3 shields. Best news is that India is #1 in MFG despite Erikk having Hoovers. :) He is ahead in techs however but I hope that an arms race will hit his wallet cause he is in Republic, me in Demo. Cost of Flight hasn't gone down yet so he isn't in MA already.

4 Armies, one filled with Cavs, the other 3 waiting to be loaded with Tanks as they roll of the line. [evil] Pentagon completes in 3 turns.
In 6 turns there will be 35-40 Tanks, 12 of those in Armies and Intel completed, all ingredients for a massive blow on the Ottomans and well before peace with Erikk expires.

A scout saw 9 French transports a while ago so there could be a naval invasion, which is confirmed by a scouting French sub.

EDIT:

Uskudar goes beyond 1,000 culture (I guess) and this very critical bottleneck tile has to be abandoned by ERIKK's force since he does not have a RoP with Otto!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20049419339_uskudar.jpg
101.05KB

Since a little more culture in those 2 French cities will get them the tile back easily I have a Q about what would be in the spirit of the way we play PBEM at CDZ. If Erikk claims it back when it is in his cultural borders again should I move back?

From a tactical point I'd really want to keep it, please don't misunderstand. We agreed no attacks until 255 btw, nothing about units in each others terrain however.

Kingreno
04-09-2004, 20:34
Moraly? Culture is part of the game and so are borders being moved by culture. I say use it to your advantage, no harm to the spirit done. just my opinion.

Beam
09-09-2004, 00:14
Turn 253: [eek]

1 or 2 turns before the Ottoman blow India became average in strenght with France according to the MilAdv. First turn of the Ottoman blow (in true RoP rape fashion [tongue]) 7 of their cities were taken and the IA build. Very fortunate to get a spy in France directly. Some French stats:
- 6 Marines
- 50 Infs
- 83 Tanks
- 35 Arties
- 32 Transports
- other assorted stuff that floats
- no air-units

Scary, if he loads all that stuff in those transports he can put +180 units ashore and although we are average India only has an advantage in Infs (8) and Armies (5). Indian naval forces are just there for scouting and need Fighter back-up.

The remaining 4 Ottoman cities were taken in the 2nd turn of the attack and after healing (is this included in the Military Advisor btw?) and replacing lost units India was average again with France in turn 253.

France raised unit counts in the Tank and Transport area between turns. Most tiles of the bottleneck are barricaded on both sides by now and I learned by trial and error that barricades in neutral terrain also block movement. I don't recall having build this shit ever before.

This planned Tank battle could either happen or turn out to be a Space Race and/or a Nuke gorefest.

akots
09-09-2004, 05:57
Nukes, nukes ... [lol]

Nukes are fun!!! You got to nuke each other!!!

Beam
09-09-2004, 07:07
[rotfl]