Beam
15-06-2004, 12:20
For those not familiar with European license plates:
- Yellow is Dutch.
- White is German.

http://www.punchbaby.com/media/gitfakt/clips/ads/nederland_duitsland.mpg

Shabbaman
15-06-2004, 13:32
Haha, nice one. I had seen him yesterday on Studio Sport as well.

Markstar
16-06-2004, 16:30
I have just seen the game and I must say I did not expect this result at all. A couple of days ago I chatted with Kemal and after he said 3-1 for the Netherlands, I even said we (Germany) would loose 4-1 because I was really convinced that Germany has a crappy team. [cry]

But now I think that all in all the result was fair. Imho (I'm not a huge soccer fan) Germany had more control of the game (won more 1on1s, more posession of the ball) while the Dutch had the better chances and were more aggressive towards the end.
I cannot believe that Kurani got away with only a yellow card after this obvious hand play. [eek] I would have given him a red card, after all, this is soccer and not volleyball. [mischief]

I especially liked the dutch shirts with the two flags!!! [goodjob]I thought that was a very nice gesture and we should have had something like that. [rolleyes]

Grille
16-06-2004, 19:24
Heck, I was expecting a major loss, too. We don't have a defence.
I originally thought Kahn would simply eat defender Wörns with vanilla sauce after aprox. 5 minutes (well, maybe he would have taken Nowotny as hors d'ouevre beforehand).
Btw, the reporter, who usually sucks really big time, said in this regard: "Hopefully nobody told Kahn that the 4-defender-chain consists of him alone."

Anyways, I was quite surprised after all. It was an entertaining game, np to end up with 1 point and 1 goal like in 2000.[lol]

Aggie
16-06-2004, 19:43
Well, the overall sentiment in Holland is that we saw two crappy teams yesterday, who showed what they are uncapable of. That's especially bad for Holland, because they can't play bad and win (unlike the Germans). I will be very surprised when the Dutch get to the next round [sad]

ERIKK
16-06-2004, 19:50
Wow Aggie, you stole the words I was going to say here, exactly like you just put it! [eek]

Grille
16-06-2004, 20:04
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

I will be very surprised when the Dutch get to the next round [sad]

I bet they make it to #1 in group D...

Beam
16-06-2004, 20:22
Propose to rename this group to Group of Doubt instead of the original Group of Death. Well, maybe Group of Death is better in it's literal meaning.

Was it Germany playing horrible and Holland not benefiting or the other way around?

I was really surprised Germany allowed Holland to get back in the match, get a point and regain some confidence.

And I spoke with some Belgian, English and French ppl at work today and according to them this was the worst EC match so far. I believe 'm.

Shabbaman
17-06-2004, 10:19
Then those people hadn't watched portugal-greece, spain-russia, italy-bulgaria, croatia-switzerland or czechs-latvia. I can tell you out of first hand that those matches sucked big time.

ERIKK
17-06-2004, 10:56
italy-bulgaria????

italy-denmark was fun (I heard)
sweden-bulgaria was very much fun!

Which game are you talking about?

Kingreno
17-06-2004, 10:57
Have Faith! Very few European Champions were solid/convincing/entertaining or anything good at all in their oppening match(es)! Hell, we even lost to Russia in 1988 0-1! We thought that Ratz send us home! Then two free kicks by England hit then post before we got to eat them 3-1!

Let's just wait and see what happens [cool]

Shabbaman
17-06-2004, 11:19
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

italy-denmark was fun (I heard)

Italy - Denmark was as boring as watching grass grow. The one reason Italy is usually nice to watch is because they're stubborn defenders. Well, they sucked. They sucked that hard that I confused them with italy-bulgaria, which is probably just as boring [:o]