PDA

View Full Version : Aggie vs. Beam - * * SPOILER * *

Beam
10-06-2004, 21:45
Turn 28:

Everything going well, main issue are Otto's neighbours: Japan, Persia and Maya. Japan seperates Otto from Jerxes. There is a potential settler fac. in the 2nd city with 2 wheats and a couple of BG's. :) A Gran will be there in 10 turns just before it goes to size 3. Got Pott. from the Japs for something I don't recall since it is quite some time ago.

Beam
11-06-2004, 14:06
Turn 35:

Aggie's scout has found me and he most likely has contact with all AI except for the Maya. The AI are 3 techs ahead (Alpha, WC and CB) and I had to buy IW in a gpt deal and exchange it for the Wheel. I guess Aggie has these three techs as well so has taken good advantage of his Scout.

Unfortunately for the Scout a horde of drunk warriors just came out of the pub and ran into him. Mercy rests on his soul.

Meantime the Gran in Edrine is completed so ready to pump out settlers.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200461114039_agvsbmt35.jpg
145.26KB

Beam
12-06-2004, 17:46
Turn 53:

Aggie is running away in Civ score. A little concern but not alarming. He got Pott as free tech and prob has build a Gran very soon.

More concerning is I am backward in Science by all standards. Aggie already has HBR while I do not even have WC. He also has writing and prob is trying a Philo run.

Aggie knows the 4 AI I know and most likely 1 or 2 of the others as well. Best bet is to buy writing asap and hope one of the 4 related techs is still unknown.

Turn 54:

Writing just became available from the Maya for 9gpt plus change. Apart from Persia everybody has Phil. and Mapmaking. Since MM is of limited use on Pangea I guess the AI got Philo first. Another scenario is that Aggie got there first and took MM as it usually is the most expensive tech and he used it in trading techs. My hope is on Lit now.

Turn 55:

Minimap, a Russian city is visible on the right side.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004612183258_agvsbmt55minimap.jpg
7.92*KB

Turn 56:

Now what the fuck does this have to with the price of tea in China?

Left to right my warrior, a Jap warrior and a Russian warrior / settler combo. [confused] [confused] Also note those ruins.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004612184529_agvsbmwtf.jpg
63.96KB

Beam
12-06-2004, 21:19
Turn 65:

Playing and exchanging turns fast. :)

Catching up with Aggie in Civscore as I am working to complete expansion. Crash researching Lit. at -4gpt. No AI has it, but the chances I get there first are dim to say it politely. We'll see.

Beam
13-06-2004, 10:55
Turn 74:

The core that will have to do the job.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004613105042_agvsbmt74.jpg
130.84*KB

Leading Aggie again in Civ score for what it is worth. The AI still doesn't have Lit. while it is just a couple of turns away. Aggie might have it and planning the Great Lib and therefore not selling it around. If that's the case I might be able to sell Lit around and close some of the techgap.

Turn 75:

The year is 1100BC and Jerxes is building Sun Tzu. [eek] [aargh] [scared2]
If I am not able to get some techs by selling Lit around there is a serious issue.

Beam
13-06-2004, 13:33
Turn 78:

Made it to Lit. first! [dance] [party]
- Iroqs: CB, Math, CoL for Lit, 2gpt, 36g.
- Maya: Constr., Curr, 5g for Lit, 21gpt. :)
- Zulu: Phil, WC, 6g for Lit, 5gpt.
- Japan: Myst, 4g for Lit.
- Persia: HBR, 2g for Lit.

That's 9 techies for 28 gpt. :D

Pity couldn't make it to Poly, last tech in this age.

EDIT: wrong, need Mapmaking as well.

Turn 80:

Japan wants help vs. the Zulu and willing to trade Poly in exchange for 1 gpt. Bit risky cause the Zulu are in the offensive but I bet on the Japs to act as buffer. Collecting cash for MM now.

Turn 83:

Maya are willing to trade MM for 14 gpt + change (some others as well but this is the best deal). I draw Feud as free tech and find everyone with Mono and Feud except the Maya! They are happy to exchange Mono for Feud and I get my change back. :)

Running 10.0.0 at + 1 gpt. Cities are growing, the first Marketplace will be ready soon and the Ottomans are back in the race! Trouble with neither Maya (they get 35 gpt atm) nor Japs (MA vs. Zulu) are expected and that's all about my neighbours.

I am pretty sure Aggie is on a Rep. run and will trade that for Engineering, Theo or Chiv. We'll see.

Turn 84:

Demographics looking good, 2nd in Mfg and Annual Income. 3th spot in Lit., 5th in Pop and GNP (both used to be 8th 10 turns ago).

EDIT: Just in case Aggie was hoping for a Rep. monopoly: the Iroqs just got it and only have Monarchy for sale. Can't imagine Aggie would exchange Rep for Mon.

Turn 85:

Someone made the Iroqs philty rich and both Russia and Zulu are in anarchy now. From what I've seen of Russian cities I know quite a couple are small. Although Otto doesn't have the cash right now to buy Rep. it is no prob postponing it until the gpt deals from the Lit trading are over because cities will be at a better size for Rep.

Turn 88:

Zulu can be contacted again and want to settle for peace with a Rep for Feud deal. Very attractive but since I do not want to spoil the relation with Japan and the fact that it is ages ago a single Zulu unit has been spotted it is better to wait. I might lose the Rep deal however.

Turn 90:

Zulu land an Archie on our soils. A vet Char. (retreats redlined) and a warrior are needed to kill it. Still can do the Rep for Feud deal. Japan, make peace with Sjakie!

anarres
13-06-2004, 19:44
So what are your immediate plans? Attack Japan or the Maya?

Beam
13-06-2004, 20:10
quote:Originally posted by anarres

So what are your immediate plans? Attack Japan or the Maya?

Immediate plans were focussed on getting and going to Rep. The Iroqs adapted the plans a little by asking ransome in t92 which I refused cause they are far, far away. To my surprise the Iroqs bought Japan into an MA vs. Otto. This cancelled the MA Japan and Otto had vs Zulu and therefore I could do the Rep vs Feud deal with the Zulu. Meantime Japan does not have Iron and I am planning to take the 2 Japanese cities on my side of the bottleneck using Med Inf., call for peace and revolt. Since Otto is a little short in the offensive (yet average compared to Japan) I can't revolt yet.

Sometime I need to work the Maya but that's for later.

Beam
14-06-2004, 20:37
Turn 99:

Edo is in the pocket and Izumo is scheduled next. Without Izumo the Japanese can forget direct access to Iron, which means no Samurai. :) And no Pikes which is good as well.

Also the latest and greatest news from the minimap. Aggie is almost landlocked and surrounded by the Zulu, Iroqs and French as I can judge now. This basically means a large naval invasion hardly is an option for him since he only has 2 shore cities and those would have to build ships permanently. A sneak invasion is an option however so in time there will be a scouting Galley near his coast.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004614203227_agvsbmt99minimap.jpg
10.97*KB

3rd in pop. now and still in Desp.
Engineering, Theo and Chiv are researched but still to costly because just 1 or 2 AI have'm.

Century turn: :)

[jump]L
[jump][jump]E
[jump][jump][jump]A
[jump][jump][jump][jump]D
[jump][jump][jump][jump][jump]E
[jump][jump][jump][jump][jump][jump]R

Very, very lucky cause it is Otto's 2nd Elite and the 1st time this Med. Inf. attacks as Elite. Will be turned into an Army.

Turn 102:

Izumo is with the Ottomans now despite the loss of 2 Med. Inf. Got Engineering from the Maya in a max. gpt (47) deal with some extra cash, instead of spending all my cash cause I will go in Anarchy this turn and need the cash to cover the upcoming -gpt period.

Peace with Japan and Theo + 1gpt exchange for Eng. Theo to Zulu for Mon and some change.

Go into Anarchy and draw 6 turns. Not to bad. Running -44gpt after mm.

Seriously considering to skip Chiv and go straight to MT.

Beam
18-06-2004, 20:08
Turn 114:

Otto just has enough gpt to bribe the Iroqs into an MA vs. the Russians.

Turn 115:

Aggie tells me he concedes. He lost two cities in the IT and tells me it will be getting worse.

Thanks to Aggie for this fast and furious PBEM. It has been nervewrecking and my worst nightmare was Aggie collecting cash and units for the Iroq Great Library!

Aggie
18-06-2004, 20:19
Congrats Beam! I lost only one city but I am sure to be overrun by the Iroquois. I knew that my life would be difficult after your succesful Lit run.

anarres
18-06-2004, 21:50
Congrats Beam! [goodjob] I guess this game shows how powerful a monopoly tech can be.

Banzai
19-06-2004, 14:39
Congratulations Beam!
That was a quick victory and that suprises me a bit..
I gave Aggie more land to expand to and placed him in a bit more central location so he could make full use of the expansionistic trait, while I put you in a corner to fight your way out.
The Japs had some floodplains for high food and with the Zulu and Persians to their right I expected them to settle toward you to box you in :D

At first I was a bit afraid you would be overwhelmed, but it seems that is what happend to Aggie! Sorry Aggie.. next time I will not replace the Indians by the Iroquois ;)

Banzai!

Beam
19-06-2004, 14:51
First of all thanks for the map Banzai!

As you can read I was lucky to make it to Lit. first. The Japanese build 2 cities close to my terr. and I almost lost access to the Incense. Just look at Kafa.