PDA

View Full Version : Deathmatch III - * * SPOILER * *

Beam
25-05-2004, 23:17
Turn 8:

Finally some action. In the first couple of turns I was worried about a potential stalemate because we all started with such a strong military.

In terms of offense I only saw 2 options, attack akots or tunerica, both in a remote position from the Russian core.

Until an investigation of the 3 Maya cities closest to my core showed that all of 'm were poorly defended. Russia already was being constructing Marines cause that is the only viable option apart from putting a SoD in Maya terr. Stealth bombers as well because of their power and long range. Expensive indeed but selling obsolete Libs, Univs and Labs certainly help boost production of those Bombers!

Two Maya cities were razed, among them a +100 shield one. :) Only 2 Mechs were defending there, Marine give shit about that although there were some casualties.

Still prenuke and Tunerica prob is pissed now. No prob., more stealths are coming his way. ;)

anarres
26-05-2004, 00:28
Pretty evil! [evil]

Beam
26-05-2004, 22:35
quote:Pretty evil! [evil]

More evil next turn anar!

Been planning this from turn 6. What can you do? It is about looking for weak spots and exploiting them. Also I guess PP, akots and Matrix are keeping close watch because they share landborders, I must say I had expected the first attack to be there.

Maybe everybody is waiting on nukes to become available and take it from there, yet only PP and me are building the MP and have control when nukes are available. I bet PP is keeping his options open.

Exciting game, not because it is fast but because of the suspense. ;) Matter of turns before the shit hits the fan imo.

Pastorius
26-05-2004, 22:55
What can I say, that was a pretty good gamble :D
Probably the reason I hesitate to join such games....I always mess up and leave something open...a weak spot.

Come on man, post screenshots [hammer]

Edited as I realized this wasnt the open thread [blush]

Beam
27-05-2004, 11:45
quote:That was a pretty good gamble

In this case hardly a gamble since the only risk was tunerica spotting the fleet heading towards his island. Which he didn't because he didn't change the defenses in his cities.

The PM with the Battlereport was signed:

Regards

The Backdoor Man ;)

He sent a battlereport back for the 2 Marines he killed and says 2 Marines vs 2 Cities isn't a very good deal. For sure it isn't, name of the game is Deathmatch. [evil]

Beam
19-06-2004, 10:09
DM III is moving again and I've just played Turn 10. All effort (16 Stealths and counting) is focused on isolating the Maya cap. Roads are disconnected already, airport is gone, harbor still in place. Also the Maya cap is reliefed from paying upkeep for temple, cathedral, marketplace, bank, colosseum, factory and some other stuff. The city will be on strike next turn and if I keep on pressing the Maya most likely will revolt in 2 to 3 turns because of rampant WW. [evil]

Meantime PP has left the game :( and abandoned all his cities. This means Matrix and akots have ample space between them. I think this favors akots because he has full control of his island now and all but one of his cities are on that island. He easily can fill the open spots PP left behind. Matrix is spread over 2 islands which are pretty close to each other.

Planning an invasion is a real challenge because a large SoD is required to have any change of survival.

Beam
22-06-2004, 22:16
The game is really moving again!

Received t011 from Matrix and the first point of interest was the current state of Chicken Icetea (as I refer the name of his cap to Shabba. ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004622221932_capt011noblack.jpg
262.29KB

Lots of entertainers, lots of units. An ordinary Mig was emplyed on a recon mission and didn't spot a lot of units on the fields near Chicken Icetea apart from a couple of workers filling bombcraters and a single Mech.

Then another run of Tupolevs went over the city and its surroundings. [evil] A Russian satelite made the following pic.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200462222102_smokeonthewater.jpg
147.35*KB

The ppl of Chicken Icetea all seem to be BBQing! [eek] [eek]

Beam
27-06-2004, 21:20
Turn 13:

Despite Shabba stopping nuke production in Moscow by destroying the marketplace 3 nukes were ready for launch at start of turn. This is what the Military Advisor saw at the start of the turn:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004627205736_Mayt13prenuke.jpg
81.1KB

A Tactical Nuke was loaded in a sub and launched on Chitzen Itza:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004627211059_Mayt13postnuke.jpg
70.6KB

That's a lot of shields being destroyed!

Two ICBM's go for Maya Aluminium and Oil, both hit.

Finaly the Stealth squad make a couple of runs over Chitzen Itza. Before the run it looked like this:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004627211622_Mayacapt13postnuke.jpg
239.9KB

Didn't make a pic after the run, yet this are the Maya military stats at End of Turn:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004627211939_Mayt13eot.jpg
53.8KB

Time to prepare an invasion. ;)

Beam
14-07-2004, 23:30
Turn 17:

Maya are down to 27 Mechs and order of the day is preventing them from building Cavs :) although they still can build some strong defensive units. Not a single nuke missed its target so it is safe to say that there isn't SDI over there. ;) Took some time to get all the transports in place and sail them over, yet here is the D-day force!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200471571641_dday.jpg
485.92KB

Beam
20-07-2004, 23:59
Turn 19:

Landed troops managed to capture 2 cities in T18. No counterattacks in between and this is what the map looks like in T19:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004720235337_battlefieldt19.jpg
209.76KB

Walkover unless akots or Matrix decide to nuke the stack, retaliation in place in the unlikely case they do. Kuddo's to Shabba who got a mess from his predecessor and found the better builds and moves.

anarres
21-07-2004, 00:21
Wow. Mash up!

Beam
24-08-2004, 14:49
Turn 30 & 31:

A transport loaded with 6 Marines left an island far away and a long time ago. After suffering heavily from the cold of the Antarctic area they could sail N again into warmer waters, finally anchoring just in front of Tenochtitlan, the Aztec cap. Said cap contained the Strategic Missile Defense of the Aztecs. Said ship can be seen on the left in the attached pic.

A couple of Stealth Bombers cleared the path for the Marines who took it with minor losses.

As soon as Russian Strategical Air Command received this news they started allocating targets for their whole range of Nukes and started to clean up defenses in Tlaxcala.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004824171135_Dayaftert30.jpg
404.52KB

Marine walked straight into town and got a generous welcome. An MA shipped to Tlaxcala took Xochicalco, next a ship arrives in said town-with-the-tong-biting-name and an MA drives thru and into Teotihuacan.

Some further nuking resulted in the following army stats for the puny Aztecs (just the workers are not visible in this pic).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004824171439_Aztec Army t30.jpg
46.75KB

Among the nuked units were 2 transports fully loaded with MA on their way to attack Russia as Matrix later told me by e-mail. Mongolia and Aztecs are forming some sort of alliance now against Russia. They've done themselves quite some damage resulting in a stalemate.

In terms of military Mongols and Aztecs combined are about as strong as Russia overall, them having more Artillery, Russia the largest navy and by far most MA.

Caught 2 opponents with their pants down :), I don't expect getting akots will be that easy. Most of his empire is on a very large island with three cities on a smaller island nearby. Russia is spread over a large number of medium to small islands, some of them containing resources like aluminium in very vulnerable places.

We'll see, until now it has been a very exciting game!

Turn 31:
Matrix has abandoned all cities on his former core island and made a peace deal with akots. akots only shows some minor movements in the direction of Russia.

Shabbaman
24-08-2004, 16:44
Evil man ;)

Beam
26-08-2004, 16:17
Turn 32:

War with akots, peace with Matrix. Which means that akots plan of an alliance vs. Russia safely can be archived. Which increases Russia's changes on final victory. Over time that is cause it will be quite a number of turns from now before Mongolia is sufficiently weakened to start an invasion.

SMD is fucking powerfull, launched 9 nukes against akots, only 2 hits. akots made some 3 hits out of 12/13 or so. Their damage is massive however. So top shield cities will be producing nukes while the rest is building for the navy and airforce. Stealth Bombers do a very good job in bombing and are reusable. And loads of workers are needed to clean the new lands and for future use in the core as I expect a lot of damage there.

Beam
28-09-2004, 14:15
Turn 43:

After a lot of preparation (logistics, bombing etc.) Russia finally invaded the Mongol core. By far the biggest island in the game and just simply landing a stack would not have worked.

The battleplan relied on taking a Amalrikh (E-coast) with Marines, unload Modern Armor from a ship and use the MA to take the capital Karakorum where the SMD is located. Meantime land units on the W-coast to do attacks on cities on the N part of the island (there is a minimap in the Open Thread). Also do nuclear strikes on cities in the N and elsewhere.

Taking Amalrikh was such a keypart of the plan that I decided to use ICBM's to hit defenders first and have a stack of Stealth Bombers nearby to finish of any remaining units. The plan did not allow the hit Almarikh directly cause that would pillage the road needed to reach Karakorum, instead a tile N was bombed. It was only the fifth ICBM that was a hit, all units apart from a Stealth Fighter were gone however. Marine moves in, Modern Armors move in and capture undefended Karakorum and Kazan. [party]

Another part of the plan was to do something about the sheir size of the island. This was handled by Stealth Bombers in the previous turns who literally bombed away the entiry road infrastructure in the centre of the island making it impossible for units from the S to move N quickly.

With Karakorum gone nukes would hit wild 100% accuracy so these were used to hit cities in the N damaging / clearing units that could attacking either the conquered cities or the units (8 Mechs, 9MA, Radar Artie) landed in the W.

It will be impossible for akots to hold the N next turn unless I have a very bad dice so I expect him to abandon most if not all cities there. Otherwise he will make it only more easy for Russia to achieve domination but it will only be delay of execution. I am pretty sure he will assemble forces from the S to counterattack and/or defend a stronghold but the Stealths combined with nukes should able to take care of that. Might have to rush nukes, in that case the +7000 cash reserve comes in handy. Which is growing +750 every turn atm.

Beam
29-09-2004, 21:51
And here comes turn 44:

akots decided not to counterattack but retreat his few remaining troops. Not surprising. He left all cities behind however making things just easier, specially if it is a drafted TOW defending. Russia controls 8 cities on the island now, Mongolia 9.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004929214437_mongolcore.jpg
257.32KB

I know akots has one TacNuke left on this island and he will launch it sometime for sure, most likely on units in the field, he also can't be to greedy cause he can't build them anymore since his access to Uranium and Aluminium is gone. If he uses it this turn it most likely will hit somewhere SE of Hovd and I will lose some units. He will lose an unreplaceble nuke. Mongolia only has access to Coal and Dyes btw [evil]. And one more turn of Anarchy.

Socrates
29-09-2004, 22:37
Good thing I didn't take part in this one, the pollution would have driven me mad !! [eek] Beam, it looks like you're on the winning edge, no ? Head for domination victory ?

Beam
29-09-2004, 23:10
This isn't the worst part of the map ;)

akots
03-10-2004, 14:54
Cool spoiler! Since I have no spoiler, I'll post a few comments here.

In the end I was absolutely gassed. The main problem was luxury rate, war weariness, and lack of luxuries. Especially bad was lack of workers to connect bombed tiles. I even rushed a few granaries to speed up grown of small cities. Also, I put units on strategic resources to protect them but mostly ignored luxuries. And Matrix did a good job in nuking out a few key cities including Karakorum and it hurt really badly. I just could not make the ends meet in the end and was forced to revolt.

Since you captured the Mayan island, you had second sources of most of the luxuries. Also, from the start I have built the wrong units. Artillery was essentially useless as well as cruise missiles. Only ICBM mattered indeed. May be Stealth Bombers. They are too good in destroying improvements. Especially painful were burned marketplaces.

Overall, Russia played very well, a great vicotory in a very intense game. I should have made peace with Matrix long time ago. May be together we would have made a better opponents. :)