PDA

View Full Version : ***SPOILER*** Aggie and me play civ

Grille
20-05-2004, 22:28
Stats:
Standart archipelago, demi level, no SGLs, no barbs, other stuff beamed up randomly.
[hmm]
In honor to the upcoming Royal Spanish marriage or for some similar reason, Aggie decided to play Spain.
I'm Carthage, so I'll check that party behaving like an elephant.:D

Game was just launched.
Capital can produce +5fpt at some point, so I'm going for pottery at max speed. Warrior is under construction.

Beam
20-05-2004, 23:10
History shows that at about 300BC Carthage controlled most of Spain, Aggie prob wasn't aware of that ;)

Good luck and have fun!

Pastorius
20-05-2004, 23:47
quote:Originally posted by Grille

Stats:
Standart archipelago, demi level, no SGLs, no barbs, other stuff beamed up randomly.
[hmm]
In honor to the upcoming Royal Spanish marriage or for some similar reason, Aggie decided to play Spain.
I'm Carthage, so I'll check that party behaving like an elephant.:D

Game was just launched.
Capital can produce +5fpt at some point, so I'm going for pottery at max speed. Warrior is under construction.

[rotfl] Best starting post ever!
I ll be looking forward to hearing more about the elephants :D

Grille
22-05-2004, 11:22
Pottery is in, I'm now going for maths.
I'm not sure if Aggie tries to make a philo-gambit. Trying to trade for pottery can be a shot in the foot on archipelago, so I suspect that he has different plans.
Per-turn-score suggests that Aggie did not plop a 2nd town so far.

Here's a pic, turn15:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004522112020_AG015.jpg

Alas, no nearby luxs in sight so far (which would of course make a philo gambit even harder). The body of water in the top left corner contains fresh water.

Grille
26-05-2004, 19:46
ust played turn24, here's my latest theories about the Spanish empire:D:

Madrid is still celebrating marriage, so no Spanish settler was in the mood to leave the town so far (Madrid is pop=5 and listed #1 in top5). So... I guess Aggie did not make a philo gambit either and probably goes for a full-throttle farmer gambit with an early grannery. Because he did not send a settler (but likely pre-built granny), I *could* have tried to go for writing/philo instead of maths with my early-settler approach, hoping the AI would't beat me to it. Pity. Anyways, maths is atm 19 turns away at 80% science.
I now have an exploring "canoe", which already detected another island. That is, it *looks* like a seperated island.
My warrior has discovered some silks north of that fesh water lake. A bit too far away to link it up anytime soon.

Grille
15-06-2004, 00:56
turn 37:
My exploring canoe has sailed far away now, but didn't meet another civ yet. However, I have discovered a coast line which looks exactly like the north-western part of my starting continent.
I know from the open thread that my starting location is a copy of Aggie's, so I guess our continents just look the same as well.

I'm not sure if I should turn the canoe around (and delay contact).
[hmm]
Atm, it seems that I know Aggie's position and he doesn't know mine. No need to inform him about this topic by establishing contact...

Grille
15-06-2004, 15:20
For now, I've decided to not sail too close to the *suspected* position of Spain. At least I'd like to meet some AI first.

Including my actual mini map, here's those 2 coast lines:
[edit: removed image tags to avoid that expanded post format]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/200461515550_cont1.jpg

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/20046151596_cont2.jpg

update:
Wow, my canoe just detected an AI border north of Aggie's suspected position.:)

Grille
16-06-2004, 20:41
It's the Zulus. They still don't know masonry [eek] and I even have maths to offer, but I cannot make a good deal yet (only option: masonry and 5gpt for boring CB which is out of question atm). They do not know writing, I'm working on it (curency is way too expensive and I need map-making ASAP).

I carried on canoe-ing and will have another contact next turn.:)
Must be Greek or Dutch border (fucking colourblindness).

So I'm hoping for fruitful deals next turn. If this works out well, I'm sailing again into Aggie's general direction. I guess he knows writing now or by the time I arrive.

anarres
16-06-2004, 21:41
You can really reap rewards if you know their position and they don't know yours.

For one they won't expect the small invasion force that lands on their doorstep, if you can get one together in time. [nya]

Beam
16-06-2004, 21:56
quote:(fucking colourblindness)

We should play a PBEM grille. ;)

Your game is looking good, all I can tell atm.

Grille
17-06-2004, 15:53
I guess you've also had a ton of fun with colourblindness tests.
"What number do you see in this mosaic?"
"Err - it's a letter, no?"

Some colours are all Greek to me. Just like the civ I just met, it's Greece. They don't know the Zulus in their neighbourhood and lacked of masonry (maths) and even pottery. So Aggie either doesn't know them or he didn't trade pottery.

In total, the trading round got me BW, Wheel, WC, CB and IW plus some gold. Zulus and Greeks got masonry, maths (and pottery). I'm now on tech pari with them. Due to the gold, I can afford researching writing at 0% tax rate (I pay 2gpt for grannies).
On my not fully discovered continent I can now see 2 (of each) sources of horsies and iron.

The canoe won't sail to Aggie's suspected position. Like anarres said, it would be worth a lot to have an option for an unexpected surprise attack. Especially if there's no barbs and (as far as I can tell...[scared]) no rivals on our starting continents, so early unit construction wouldn't generally be that important.

Here's the demograph (turn47):
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004617154616_demo47.jpg
33.03*KB

:)
I met the Sumerians in turn 50. They don't know masonry. They have no contact to Greeks (though they're just a throw of a stone away), neither to Zulus. They have 22g and know HBR & mysticism. No deals made.
The Sumerians are score leaders and seemingly #1 in pop atm, as F8/F11 observation shows. I'm currently listed as #2 on F11 and F8 tells that Sumeria tops me. FWIW, I know that Madrid just sent a settler, so I'm guessing Aggie and me are almost equal in pop. So I think he was #2 in the demograph pic above.
Edit: d'oh - note that I was listed #3 in pop in turn 48 or 49. I think Aggie was listed #2 then.

anarres
18-06-2004, 15:39
In my game with KR we are both on isolated islands, and if I had found a route a galley could have made it through I would have invaded for sure.

No rivals = no defense force = big opportunity...

Grille
18-06-2004, 16:08
The plan is indeed to bring a small force to Aggie's island. I really hope he almost ignores unit construction due to the missing rival/barb threat.
Heck - and if my invading guys just pillage here and there. Good thing my UU has D=3.:D

Beam
18-06-2004, 17:20
Make sure to take max. benefit of your GA, Aggie will try to trigger it for sure. ;)

Grille
18-06-2004, 17:45
Here's the situation:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004618174128_AG_51.jpg
Z=Zulus
G=Greeks
S=Sumerians
A=Aggie's suspected position

For a seafaring civ, sailing to Aggie's island takes about 6 (galley) turns, regarding the route marked as a white line in the mini map and regarding one *possible* point of disembarkment at Aggie north-western coast. I marked the latter on the main map view with a white X from 'my' perspective.
Leptis Minor and Hippo will produce lumber-accellerated canoes which get upgraded in some harbour city. I'm not sure how big (err, small?) the force will look like...

some other stuff:
Aggie built a temple in Madrid at some point. Bah, "culture"...[mad];)

Greece just got mysticism (no contact to Sumeria, though). Still no trade.

Grille
18-06-2004, 20:36
turn53: Contact to Celts. Sumeria now knows maths:( Celts get it for cheap 32g before they aquire it elsewhere in no time.

turn56: Contacts seem to spread among the AI. Zulus got 3 techs within 2 turns, they beat me to writing by 1 turn. I could sell writing to the Celts for HBR, mysticism and 5g. Sumeria gets writing for 42g. I open an embassy in Athens, the Greeks could be an ally vs Aggie later on (1 MA every 20 turns is allowed according to Aggie's rule-set for PBEMs which we want to follow).
I plan to send a small force of 3 galleys to Aggie. It looks like I need (roughly) 30 fucking turns to fill them. This is such a loooong time that I decided to research philo (9 turns) before map-making (17), hoping the price for mm drops meanwhile.
The Celts appear to be too close for comfort.[scared]
They are my neighbours to the west and there's a safe route to me... I hope they hold their gosh.

Grille
20-06-2004, 13:31
61:
I met Aggie!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004620132349_AG_61_1.jpg
12.3KB

His canoe was detected here:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004620132417_AG_61_2.jpg
10.94KB

Seems like Aggie won the philo gambit.

Grille
23-06-2004, 07:01
update 67:

Aggie opened an embassy right after meeting me, so he
-knows my capital's position/continent
-knows that I know his capital's position.
I hope he doesn't get me when I wanted to get him...
Anyways, I have stockpiled some gold to upgrade my canoes, I'm pre-building a harbor (map making is due in 8 IIRC).
The more or less 'distant' luxs on my continent (silks and spices) will be online in about 7-10 turns.
Incense is on that island (coastal trade route) in the east.

Meanwhile, I have all contacts. So does Aggie. He's at war with Germany, most probably due to denying tribute (so he's got WH bonus). I dunno about Germany's exact position yet, because I just met an archer near Dutch territory.

Zulus declared war on Greeks at some point.
The neighbouring Celts are the first AI to know map making. This means there's risk they spam my continent with cities any time soon. OTOH, they got the Pyramids (Entremont), which is just located close by - along with some wine resources... Alas, they have iron hooked up (got an embassy).
The Dutch (in the north) built the Colossus, but they seem to be very small (only 5 cities or so).

Grille
24-06-2004, 00:57
72:
Good news:
The military advisor says we're strong compared to Spain (just to adjust that info: I was on avarage before and I only built 1 warrior last turn). To be honest, I think my military is weak overall [eek] Chances are my surprise party expedition will cause some trouble in Spain.

In this regard, I cannot understand why I'm catching up in score. Aggie took over the lead, then the gap improved, but now his per-turn-score is in decline. I have no luxs hooked up yet, no wars, no temples, run just the lux tax that's needed and had slowed down expansion due to unit constrution.[confused]

I traded philo for map making (from Dutch) and *gifted* it around for a few gold pieces - the nearby Celts had it already anyways. Now Aggie's foe Germany could build galleys as well as his neighbour Sumeria... I used the gold to open embassies there.

Aggie is actually inspecting my coast line. Not a biggie, but his canoe is annoying the fishes and stuff near my selected harbor-building city (ready in ~5, so is the load and gold for upgrading the canoes). No fun when the small expedion fleet gets caught while leaving port.

Plux
24-06-2004, 12:12
Bombs away!! Just kill him before he spots you [tank]

Grille
24-06-2004, 22:55
Sure! My military advisor has been set on dope already: [lol]
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004624224034_ma74_0.jpg
14.37KB

overview of Carthage (74):

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004624225233_AG74map.jpg

Grille
25-06-2004, 21:25
78:
Hurray, we left port for Spain! [mwaha]
ETA 6, one galley is sailing ahead alone, the other two follow atm at a 4 tile gap. On board are 2 reg archers, 2 vet horsemen & 2 vet NumMercs -
which is basically the core of my military, but don't tell...
[blush]
Well, I'm still 'strong'.:)

2nd lux is hooked up this turn. Greece has built a harbor and I know a coastal route to it.

Embassies are meanwhile in place everywhere.

At turn start, Greece offered a MA/ROP vs Zululand. I spiced it up: I could get CoL, 32g and 4gpt. Couldn't ignore it, treaty signed.
Also, my galleys look like heading for Zululand now. Ok, that's just obviously too naive to assume.

anarres
26-06-2004, 13:00
Good luck Grille, I think you could catch him out here!

Grille
27-06-2004, 01:10
Thanks!

The ahead-sailing single galley (load: 1 reg archer, 1 vet horse) has just reached Spain's coast line (turn 82, near the tobacco tile which is shown in post #7). I found border lines! Looks like two towns w/o expansion. I can't see the towns, though, but that galley shouldn't be visible either. Of course, I hope there's no defenders - guessing on capital distance, these could be very young towns (in analogy to my continent, I just settled that same area).
I'll see next turn if that estimation was right.

FWIW, our continents are not fully congruent: my continent has a (bigger?) fresh water lake near the tobacco tile.

What a pity that the Spanish are religious. My invading spoilsport party killers would have a lot of fun in anarcho-country (for Aggie, republic *could* be 'round the corner by now).

The score thing is still bugging me. IIRC, I'm now ~20 points ahead. Granted, I have now 2 luxs (and toggle between 0% and 10% lux tax), but I don't understand that. Seems like Aggie is building city improvements and doesn't pump many settlers anymore.

A curragh is sailing towards Spain from Spain's eastern side. I just want to make sure to detect any Spanish galleys on that other route (although that route would probably need a ROP with Celts, Sumerians and/or Greeks).

Grille
27-06-2004, 15:33
83:
Wartime!

I couldn't resist to load the units off of the first galley unstacked:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/2004627152255_AG83.jpg

I hope Aggie is that short on units in the area that he can't move defenders around.

Sumerians and Celts have been bribed to join (~30gpt are thrown out of the window in total).

Aggie
27-06-2004, 16:22
Congratulations! I wasn't prepared and would lose more cities. [thumbsup] I will report this in the ladder section :)

--------------------------
[cool]
Although this game was rather short, I really, really enjoyed it!
Thank you very much!
:)

edit: that's what you got when hitting the edit-button instead of quote-reply button...[crazyeye]

Grille
27-06-2004, 16:22
84:
Santander razed (14g) with the archer, worker captured by horeseman.
Other units are unloaded. 2 horsies, 1 archer, 1 NumMerc are placed on the floodplain NW of Santiago. 1 archer and 1 NumMerc on ex-Santiago tile.

Beam
27-06-2004, 16:40
[mouth]

Congrats Grille! It shows that one should always be aware on Pelago maps.

Grille
27-06-2004, 16:41
Wow, first I got beaten by 4 seconds and then I messed up Aggie's post.
[lol]

anarres
27-06-2004, 18:51
Wow! That was amazingly quick! A new record? [hmm]