PDA

View Full Version : Aggie - Grille *spoiler*

Aggie
19-05-2004, 17:13
As can be seen in the open thread, my starting position was quite nice. I moved the worker on the cattle and then decided to settle on the spot. Revealing a game tile [party] I then put science at 10% for writing and first unit is a curr... ehm...canoe [lol] :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004519171230_aggiegrillestartspoiler.jpg

Pastorius
19-05-2004, 20:36
[lol] canoe.

Is that really in conquests?

Aggie
19-05-2004, 20:48
It is when Beam makes the map [:p]

Beam
19-05-2004, 21:10
The Canoe has similar characteristics as the Curragh but can be upgraded to an Enterprise class Federation Starship with the discovery of future tech 394 and access to strat. resource Dilithium Chrystals. The starship comes with a Warp 8 drive, phasers, photon torpedoes, teleportation room and a basic holodeck + 3 free holodeck scenario's.

A city only can build the Starship if it has a Starfleet Academy (adding 6 culture and making 3 citizens talking stuff only understood in outerspace).

Very usefull against those Birds of Prey Grille might have operational by that time. ;)

Aggie
19-05-2004, 21:40
I hope that the cloacked Birds of Prey don't suffer from the submarine bug ;) (in which you are at war when you bump in to them, despite the fact that you don't see them). OTOH: that would be very fitting for the Klingons [tongue]

Pastorius
19-05-2004, 23:16
quote:Originally posted by Beam

The Canoe has similar characteristics as the Curragh but can be upgraded to an Enterprise class Federation Starship with the discovery of future tech 394 and access to strat. resource Dilithium Chrystals. The starship comes with a Warp 8 drive, phasers, photon torpedoes, teleportation room and a basic holodeck + 3 free holodeck scenario's.

A city only can build the Starship if it has a Starfleet Academy (adding 6 culture and making 3 citizens talking stuff only understood in outerspace).

Very usefull against those Birds of Prey Grille might have operational by that time. ;)

Explains a lot...mostly about the state of mind of the mapmaker...who has obviously gone completely insane [yeah]

Aggie
20-06-2004, 11:39
Turn 61: This game is all about building and exploring so far. I have created a settler factory after my two curraghs and I'm on my own big landmass. I have met all opponents, except for Grille.

My obvious target was the Writing-Philosophy path. I is a success [party]. I decide to choose Code of Laws as my free tech. I now go all out Literature to deny Grille a possible route to new techs. Only after this I will go for Republic. The AI has nothing to offer for Philosophy, but that not a problem I'd say :)

Grille was leading in points for a while, but I have now taken the lead. That won't change soon I'm sure.

My empire looks like this:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004620113629_aggiegrille61empire.JPG

Beam
20-06-2004, 11:55
quote:I now go all out Literature to deny Grille a possible route to new techs.

[rotfl]

Poor Grille, do you have Mapmaking already?

Aggie
20-06-2004, 11:57
quote:Originally posted by Beam
Poor Grille, do you have Mapmaking already?

No. But I expect to get it from the AI. They love to have it. I probably will not go for the Lighthouse this time, but it depends on what happens of course.

Aggie
20-06-2004, 17:36
Grille and me met and he is down Philo and CoL. I immediately establish an embassy and see that he has a settler factory as well. He doesn't know Germany and Holland. Therefore I will sell the Germans Writing for 81 gold. He might meet them soon otherwise.

Grille's city:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004620173227_aggiegrillecarthage.JPG

Socrates
24-06-2004, 12:59
Mr. Settler Factory in action again. ;)

Errr... how come does this irrigated grassland cow give 2 shields ? Without a Golden Age ? Mmmh, it looks like the map maker decided to place a cow bonus on a bonus grassland... I don't like it much when such uncommon stuff is in. Anyway, I don't know if you thought of it, but there was the possibility to set up a wonderful factory in the capital : 1 warrior + 1 settler every 4 turns. Someday I'll stop saying that, so as to get an advantage in my games. :D

Aggie
24-06-2004, 14:18
krys: I assume you know that the above pic is Grille's city? FWIW my empire appears to be an exact copy. I indeed know there's a warrior/settler factory here.

Turn 65: I can see that Grille got Philo as well and sold it around. He was only Philo and CoL behind, so he only could have made a bit of money. I must takes note next time about my general strategy. I tend to forget it during a PBEM. I'm quite certain to get Literature @1st now and with a little luck Republic as well. CoL is still unknown.

Turn 66: Germany demands Philosophy. I say no. They declare war. Lux tax down to 10%.

Turn 67: The Celts know Map Making. They are the only one and won't trade it.

Turn 73: I get Literature at first and sell it to the Celts for Map Making. I now start Republic. Grille lacks CoL and Literature, but has Map Making. We are very close in score. This will be a long game I guess.

Aggie
27-06-2004, 15:34
Turn 84: Grille declares war and drops off two units near empty cities! I whipped a few horses, but two cities will be gone. He also bribed Sumeria and the Celts.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/200462715335_aggiegrille84warwithgrille.JPG

Aggie
27-06-2004, 16:23
Grille razed a town and captured a worker. But far worse was the fact that he landed a 2nd wave of troops. I have no answer and I give up. Great job Grille :)

Grille
27-06-2004, 16:56
Thanks. I think I got lucky by discovering your north-western coast line early on.

anarres
27-06-2004, 18:57
Comiserations Aggie, I hope you play Grille again - it's certainly very entertaining to read. :)