PDA

View Full Version : Do you use nukes?

Samson
18-05-2004, 12:46
There have been a couple of threads on CFC recently about the use of nukes (eg. [1]). A lot of people seem to be saying that are pretty useless milataraly, and it would be better to have the eqivalent number of modern armor. I was interested in the opinion from the hard core multiplayer crowd. I am sure I would not like my capital to be reduced by 50% pop and 50% of the buildings destroyed, for just 500 shields.

[1] http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=1835698

Shabbaman
18-05-2004, 13:00
Most games don't last until nukes.

ProPain
18-05-2004, 14:19
Major drawback of nukes is they can be used only once. What's very positive of nukes is the damage they do and the road destruction. If you drop a nuke on AI capital you will sever all ongoing trades too. Can be very handy. But I rarely reach modern times so I'm no expert for sure. If I launched 5 nukes in my Civ3 carreer it's lot.....

anarres
18-05-2004, 14:19
But when they do they can be REALLY devastating! DrAlimentado annihilated me with Nukes in our game.

Against an AI they are almost useless (apart from killing SoD's), but if you last to Modern Age against a human they could be decisive.

Socrates
18-05-2004, 15:29
Believe me or not, I played a lot of solo games last year, and I've never ever used nukes, missiles, or any aircraft units (planes etc...). Never. Of course I played some modern era, but I've never bothered to use them. I beat the AI almost everytime when I got there. I even started a thread at CFC ("have you built U.F.O.s (Unneeded Flying Objects) or something like that) one day.

Now I could add that I've never got beyond Education in C3C so far !!! [crazyeye]