PDA

View Full Version : Away and problems

Beam
13-05-2004, 20:32
My phoneline and with that my ADSL connection is gone. Entirely my fault because I failed to open the mail that my Telebank payments were not processed due to a typo I made. :( [wallbash] KPN has removed the number from the system and therefore everything has to start from scratch.

A new phoneline can be there in less than a week but a new ADSL takes between one and two months with KPN. I am going to investigate if there are other providers that can do it faster and if you can recommend any like BBned for example please let me know.

I am connected over bosses mobile now and have fast access during the day so not entirely away but for the time being it means all PBEMs I am playing will be seriously delayed. I am very sorry for that, boss won't like the cost of a permanent connection over his mobile.

Since I can't receive pop based e-mail over my notebook please use the following e-mail address: siebe DOT haagsma AT hccnet DOT nl. It can be accessed by webmail.

I can DL savs easily during the day and UL periodicly in the evening.

I feel completely stupid.

More later.

Pastorius
13-05-2004, 20:40
:( That sucks Beam.
Dont know much about dutch ISPs though

Beam
13-05-2004, 21:34
Sucks big time indeed Paali.

Just did some investigation on what is available on the location where I live and the good news is that Demon offers 8192/1024 for a lower price than my current HCCNet 4096/640, even including the subscription for the phoneline :). I will call them tomorrow and check how fast they can deliver.

Demon uses the Tiscali network, appreciated if someone can post / mail their experiences with either of 'm.

Other networks available here:
- bbNed
- BabyXL
- Versatel (suck big time imo)
- cable (rated as a certified sucker by the local neighbourhood)

I'll need a phoneline anyway for either ADSL option and plan to arrange that Sat. So in a week or so some PBEM routine should be possible again.

Aggie, Erikk, Dell, anar, col please have some patience [tvs]

Kemal
13-05-2004, 21:37
I think pp has used Demon for quite some time, you might want to contact him about his experiences with it.

col
13-05-2004, 21:38
I'm hardly in a position to complain after the length of time I've just taken!

OPEN YOUR SODDING MAIL IN FUTURE!

Pastorius
13-05-2004, 22:29
I ve heard that the Norwegian Tiscali branch does ok - not seen any nasty complaints

my provider, nextgentel, has an issue with taking time to answer support questions etc - but they have the best offer on the Norwegian market afaik.

I use a 1600/512 adsl line myself - priced at 498 NOK a month - and I share the line with 2 others, tho only 1 of them uses it as much as I do

I guess the specifics you mention are decent enough [:p]

Kingreno
13-05-2004, 22:48
shhhtt...tell no-one, I use chello, on cable. No need for a phone line.

ERIKK
14-05-2004, 07:44
I use xs4all/KPN mxstream for 50 euro per month (E22,95/E26,95 split). I have 2Mbit download. Dunno if it is expensive. I [u]do</u> realy like the speed I have now! ;)

Beam
14-05-2004, 16:03
Called Demon today and they can deliver in 4 to 6 weeks. I've read two ADSL provider reviews today and in both they scored best. Subscription includes Supernews newsnet!

No installation costs, free Ethernet modem and 60 euros a month iirc for 8Mbit/1Mbit.

Now I need to arrange the fucking phoneline.

Beam
19-05-2004, 20:50
Short update:

Quite a busy week and Ascension Day + a mandatory holiday coming up. Ordered the phone line last Monday, it will take 3 working days at min., which means it will be in place early next week and Internet will be over the mobile for the coming days.

I also cancelled the ADSL sub with HCCnet because it is related to the phone#. This caused my hccnet e-mail account to be blocked in a matter of hours. Reason: it is one of the extra adresses I got with the ADSL sub :( and the only active one is the original one I got becoming member of hccnet. Its size is a couple of 100kB, stoneage. I spend quite some time on hold before I got through and got this explanation. Their cancellation procedure is better organized than their reactivation procedure because it will be next week when everything is up and running again.

Assuming there will not be any issues with one of the other e-mail services I have please use: siebe AT haagsma DOT biz. Anything AT haagsma DOT biz will work as well, just as pietje puk or anarres AT haagsma DOT biz.

Once the phoneline is active the ordering procedure for ADSL can start, one of the first things they do is check and measure the connection, it needs to be active for that.

Beam out.

Matrix
21-05-2004, 23:54
Deathmatch III sent to haagsma dot biz. ;)

Then I realized your old e-mail address was at civ3duelzone. How come that one doesn't work? Because that hasn't got anything to do with your ISP. I sent it to that one last time, before you referred to this thread.

Beam
22-05-2004, 11:22
quote:Since I can't receive pop based e-mail over my notebook

My notebook and mobile can connect over an infrared port and the mobile is configured as modem. Can't use the mobile on my desktop so no access to pop based mail. Once the new phoneline is there I have access to everything. Should be a matter of days now.

Matrix
23-05-2004, 10:47
Sorry, haven't read well enough.

Beam
01-06-2004, 11:28
Phoneline is working again, so I should be able to download e-mail again tonight. :) And you'll see me back on MSN every now and then. :)

Also ordered an 8/1 Mbit ADSL sub at Demon.nl which should be there in 4 to 6 weeks. :D

Beam
09-06-2004, 20:09
Just got the confirmation from Demon that they will most likely connect me in about 3 weeks. [dance] [party]

Beam
19-06-2004, 14:56
Make that 10 days instead of 3 weeks.

[jumpD] [jumpD]

The Demon stuff was delivered today and I'm up and running again! Pretty good service I must say. And an easy installation procedure.

First DL was stable at 608 kB/s. :). Yes, that's kilobytes!

Coming days I will install the router functionality to connect the Notebook.