PDA

View Full Version : Overconfidence!!

English_brit
03-05-2004, 01:47
I suffered from it in my last game. [sad]

quote:8841 spectators had come to quinny Arena this cloudy day. quinny started off with a 4-4-2 lineup. The following players had been chosen: Ferguson - Davies, Forster, Navari, Gardiner - MacKintosh, Areff, Toon, Barnhart - Jimack, Pamic.

Toffees started off with a 3-5-2 lineup. The following players had been chosen: MacFadyen - Homer, Russell, Hickey - Hevia, Haynes, Walker, Attah-Agyeman, Penn - Hollenstein, Aertse.

Starting off, underestimation of the opposition made Toffees players perform way below their normal capacity. Toffees took the lead after 9 minutes with 0 - 1. Puck Aertse placed the ball out of reach for the home sides keeper after a fine move, coming in from the left. In the games 13th minute Toffees´s Charles Attah-Agyeman fell dramatically just outside the penalty area. However, the referee booked Charles Attah-Agyeman for taking a dive. Some fine manouvering on the left lead to an 18:th minute Toffees goal, making it 0 - 2. Charles Attah-Agyeman was noted down as the scorer. Some fine manouvering on the left lead to an 20:th minute Toffees goal, making it 0 - 3. Pierre-André Hollenstein was noted down as the scorer. 0 - 3 was the half-time score. Toffees, bringing the final ball possession rate to 70 percent, dominated the battle.

Jonathan Barnhart of quinny received a yellow card in the 67:th minute for unsportsmanlike behaviour. After 69 minutes quinny´s James MacKintosh contracted a slight foot injury, but could finish the game. Floyd Penn increased the visitors lead by putting a volley shot away on a pass from the right. 0 - 4. The structure of the game started to change as Toffees decided to pull back and meet their opponents in the defensive zone. After 72 minutes quinny´s Ernest Pamic contracted a slight foot injury, but could finish the game. After the ball got lifted in from the left Kirk Haynes was on his own in the home side´s penalty area 74 minutes into the game, and should have scored, but missed, probably due to lack of concentration. Toffees held the ball, with a clear 83 percent possession rate.

Most important quinny player was Geoff Ferguson. Stewart Toon on the other hand, had a terrible day. Toffees´s best player was Kirk Haynes. Charles Attah-Agyeman on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 0 - 4.

Luckily I won anyway.

Last week I had wonderful confidence but this week my confidence was only on strong.

As far as I can see it only says this in the rules about self confidence.

quote:Normally, high self-confidence is a good thing, but if it gets too high, players may underestimate teams not as good as themselves.

On various sites such as HattricX Files and Platypus's guide on Hottick ,etc it says that you only run the risk of over-confidence if your team spirit is on wonderful.

Is that info taken from an official source, or is it just because my teams confidence was wonderful last week that it's carried over in to this weeks game?

PS. I had 1 pyshcologist before this week but have just sacked him as a result.

yndy
03-05-2004, 05:18
It happened to teams with confidence at strong and I've even read about overconfidence at decent once.

There is one issue where there is debate and the rules say nothing. To avoid overconfidence one should hire or fire psychologists. If you fire them you'll get your confidence down and risk of overconfidence drops. But others say that if you have enough shrinks you'll never see overconfidence.

I believe the last ones because a well known Romanian player wrote he experimented extensively and confirmed the result.

Edit: I have 3 psychologists and had confidence at wonderful since forever and no overconfidence.

English_brit
03-05-2004, 11:42
Thanks alot for the info. :)

Cruise
03-05-2004, 15:50
My confidence was decent yesterday, and the same thing happened to me when playing it cool.

Won with 0-8 tho :D

English_brit
03-05-2004, 17:01
Nice. [lol]