PDA

View Full Version : QSC18

col
06-04-2003, 19:52
Col QSC diary

4000bc - First big decision. Do we move?
I'm going to be moving my worker to the bouns square anyway so let's move it there first. Ah that water to the east is just a small lake. Ok we have access to water - I'll found this city where I stand.

Start production of a warrior and - (oops I've forgotten what difficulty we're on - quick check tells me its monarch) - I need to start research towards pottery to get that first granary. More or less an automatic research choice these days. 24 turns at 90%. Lets research flat out for a while.

Worker will mine bonus grassland

3950 -3750 press space

3750 Warrior built. Start another.
Most land is to my west so I prefer to explore that way.
A look in the space race tells me that my opposition is Egypt, Greece,Japan,neoCarthage,Rome,France,England,Iroqu ois,China,Aztecs. Mm - A couple of expansionists - it would be nice to bag a couple of goodies. No real terrors in opening them on this level. Lets go West with first warrior and north with second.

3650 Worker finishes mine and starts road - we will need to expand west asap.
Second warrior heads north. 3rd warrior started.

3500 - city expands which brings next bonus grassland nicely into range as we finish road so worker will mine and road this too.

3400 - 3rd warrior is finished. City will reach size 3 in 8 turns. A settler will take 8 turns. Pottery is dues in 8 turns! Should I build 1 settler then granary or build granary straight away? No signs of anyone else yet and some good sites. I feel like a ICS game. Bam's arguments are very strong and I feel like challenging for th cramuus maximus award before going for the diplo defeat and green ambulance. I fancy building the UN then arranging a unanimous vote against me! I know - but sometimes I just like to have a little fun. We dont have to decide about the granary for a few turns and there isnt a killer second site in view yet.

3350 we sight borders in the west. Mm brownish - who might that be ? neoCarthage prob since colours dont fit any other civ.Spot some gems to the north. Ok we need those so 1 settler then granary it is.

3250 an iroquois warrior wanders by from the south. They have pottery and masonry!

3200 yup its neoCarthage. We warrior code for masonry. They have alphabet too but wont trade it for CB. I notice Carthage has a vet warrior. I havent seen any bars so they built a barracks. Typical stupid AI unless they are planning a rush , whats the point?

3100 we finish pottery.Settler is ready. It would take 6 turns to build a granary. Mm - a cow to the north east. Not sure what to do here. This is one of those big moents that will affect the next phse of the game.Granary or settler?? Make a cup of coffee and think about it. There's a LOT of land around here. Granary it is. Let Entrmont grow - mm - I need to check how many happy citizens I get on monarchy (I usually play emperor and play around with the luzury slider)and then pump. Its only 2 content so the next one will be unhappy which means I have to move slider BEFORE the city grows otherwise I lose a turn. Ok we go up 10% - it doesnt change research time and now I have 1 happy and 1 content so next unhappy citizen wont affect city. It occurs to me that maybe I'd have been better off with no research at all but too let to change horsies midstream. Monarch is an awkward difficulty. Not high and not low! This turn has taken 3o mins now and I'm still not certain. I'll draw up my planned dotmap and have a longer think. Save game and capture screen. Out to lunch and will play again later tonight. Ok several hours later now. Decide to go with the granary.

3000bc we reach the coast to the east - lots of room here. Settler flood needed.

2850bc Dyes spotted south of carthage. Worker mining another bonus grassland so that all three citizens are on mined squares. Granary finished. Settler will take 5 turns.

2710 we meet a roman warrior out in the far east along with another Iroquois warrior. We have no money to trade anything at present. Bronze working is 21 turns away. Too long. In 21 turns we can get 60+ gold and we can surely trade for it by then. Looks like we made a mistake in trying to research. Slider put down to zero science and enough lux to keep citizens happy.

2590 Settler ready. Where to go first?? Sent west - restrict the movment of Carthage east. Definitely made right choice with granary. Total time for settlet + granary much less this route because built granary with 3 citizens. Discover Athens to the South. Greece will trade BW for all my gold and income. Too much. Time to check around for better deals. We get BW+10 gold from the Iros for our techs. Nice trade since these techs are known to other civs and could have been traded by them any time.

2390 Spot our first goody hut near the 2 cows. Switch from settler building and cross fingers. Bah pict warriors! Remember to switch back to settler now - not something I have always done...

2350 Warrior survives and is promoted to veteran.

2270 Next settler built nd is sent to grab the two cows - a must have spot. Go for the gems next.

2230 Mm - a volcano in the north. I didnt play gotm17 so not 100% sure of this. There is something in there but decide to wait a turn to heal fully before trying to liberate whats in there. We win but nothing nice happens! A pictish warrior appears to the north. The volcano is 121. Need to wait to heal.

1910 Big round of trading nets us a couple of techs, communications with 3 more civs but most importantly a worker. We really need that now so worth the few gpt. Horses spotted to the east. Rome is near. Sigh another spot we urgently need a settler. We are trailing on score but should be catching up now.

1675 We grab the gems. Another goody hut to the far north west spews barbs. I guess our 4 cities are now more than the average but tech would have been nice. Still we now have an elite warrior.

1350 We are 4 techs down. Traded 80 gold for comms with last 2 Ai civs. Time for a little extortion. We plan a big warrior upgrade and a quick war. Ideally we should take out the romans before they get lgions but I rather think we may be too late for that. There is still muc good land around and maybe we should just accumulate cities and warriors for a while...

1100 We trade for iron working and manage to secure the iron to the south a move ahead of the greeks - our road network proved essential here - a settler is dispatched to seize the iron to the north.

1050 A massice uprising is spotted in the north. That measn 2 civs have made it to the next era. I'm not too worried. Our power base is good and we will surely catch up in tech when we start warmongering soon.

100obc Seize the iron in the north. Our elite warrior survives 5 barbs on his mountain. Mm - so thats Moonsinger in Celtic is it?? A final round or trading allows us to trade our world map for each civs territory map. We pick up three tech cheaply. Looks like the romans dont have iron - the iros got there first. Thats good news. Unfortunately the iros have horses so we'll get the dreaded mounted warriors coming at us if we hit them. Plan is to hit Rome first. Get to knights then hit the Iros to seal up the eastern end of the map. Time to start planning the FP..... The romans have built a city close by. That will do nicely to trigger our GA in due course. :evil:

Score is 193 - Japan leads with 236
We have 9 cities - more than any other civ. Good land and 2 sources of iron, 1 source of horsies. 1 luxury. We are in good shape to go places.

Anyone else play this one?