PDA

View Full Version : Aggie - Kryszcztov *spoiler*

Aggie
25-04-2004, 06:48
player 1 - Aggie : England
player 2 - kryszcztov : Carthage
AI rivals : 6 (all other seafearing civs + Greece)
difficulty : Demi-God

Look at this strange map:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/200442564554_AgKryzstart.JPG

This may be a VERY small island (just like at how the river flows from one sea to another). Mapmaking will be vital!

I placed London at the spot, to grab both gold and furs.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/20044256552_AgKryzfirstturn.JPG

anarres
25-04-2004, 10:07
My personal opinion about maps like this is that you should have a relatively tight build and put another city or two on that island.

Aggie
25-04-2004, 10:19
I was thinking the same. One on the gold hill and one on the furs. But this can change after my two or three curraghs. It would be nice to get the Colossus and the Lighthouse... But Krys may think the same about that.

anarres
25-04-2004, 10:52
If you build a city N-NE from the capital it can also use the tiles on that next island. Obviously curraghs can change that info, but atm that is where I would favour.

Aggie
27-04-2004, 21:36
Turn 15:

This is indeed a similar map to that of anarres and Killer. I like it already :) I have built two curraghs so far and I just met the first civ. Korea lacks Pottry, but has Bronze Working and Warrior Code over me.

The lands I know look like this:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004427213910_Aggiekrysturn15.JPG

Aggie
03-05-2004, 08:02
Turn 25: I meet India. They also lack Pottery, but have Ceremonial Burial and another 1st level tech over me. But I wait with the deal, because my second curragh sees Spanish borders.

Turn 26: I meet Spain. The clears the way for making deals:

-Warrior Code and Ceremonial Burial for Pottery and 102 gold from Spain
-The Wheel from Korea for Pottery, Ceremonial Burial, 2 gpt and 10 gold from Korea
-Bronze Working and 10 gold for Warrior Code from India
-111 gold for The Wheel from Spain.

so I got 4 techs and 9 gold for 2 gpt and Pottery :)

Turn 27: Spain now got the knowledge of Masonry, but a trade is not possible yet. I finished the Granary and started the first settler.

Turn 31: I meet Krys's curragh! I have no tech he doesn't have!

Turn 49: Korea wants 32 gold and I say no. So now we're at war. I can lower the lux tax to 10% [hammer] Ideal to have war hapiness just before discovering Writing.

Turn 51: I discover Writing at first and get Iron Working and Masonry plus 63 gold from Spain. India gives me Mystisicm and 29 gold for Iron Working. Krys probably still can sell Writing around...

Krys tells me that his Lighthouse gambit failed, because the AI finished the Colossus, the Pyramids and the Oracle. So he can't switch to another wonder. I figure that the AI didn't find anything else to do so decided to go for wonders instead :)
I'm 10 turns from Philosophy and my free tech will be Map Making (when I am really the first to get it). I hope to get a prebuild myself with the MoM...

No pics, because I don't seem to be able to upload here or at CFC...

Aggie
03-05-2004, 09:50
My empire:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/aggiekrysterritroyturn52.JPG

I misplaced York and I probably will resettle it at the place that anarres suggested (on the forest/plain tile). But first I have to get Philo...

Aggie
09-05-2004, 06:59
Turn 57: I make peace with Korea, because they have Mathematics to offer. Peace, Writing and 85 gold for Mathematics it is. After this I trade Mathematics to Spain for Horseback Riding and 12 gold.
For the first time I can see that Krys lacks techs: Math and HBR...

Turn 61: I have Philo at first [party] and choose Map Making as my free tech. I have been sending curraghs back home and will now build settlers and harbors. But also the Lighthouse...

Turn 62: Spain demands Philo, doesn't get it and I'm at war...

Turn 80: I discover Literature and I'm the first. Except for me now also Spain knows Map Making. But somehow Krys didn't buy it from them [hmm]. I have the Lighthouse in 6 turns, but getting it is seriously slowing down my growth. I probably should have made it into a settler factory :(

Turn 82: Korea again demands tribute...tough luck. That's the 2nd tribe I'm at war with.

Turn 83: I finally know why Krys didn't buy from Spain. I created an embassy for 130 gold and see that he's at war with Spain, Scandinavia and Korea.

Turn 85: I'm an idiot an built the Lighthouse. Now I'm in the Golden Age [blush]

Turn 87: Being in the GA and being the only one knowing Literature I might just as well start The Great Library...

Turn 93: I take a gamble and tell the Spanish to beat it when they demand Literature. I'm again at war and not entirely prepared, because I combined the TGL run with a settler push. Luckily I have a number of galleys and sea domination.

Turn 96: India declared on me as well (out of the blue), but doesn't have Map Making. Spain is worrying, with a galley close to my core.

Turn 97: Spain lands a spear and a warrior next to a new town :( All I can do is kill the galley, fortify my warrior and hope for the best...

On the bright side: I'm 13 turns from the Library and no other has Literature or a wonderbuild going...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/20045965759_Aggie-krysempire97.JPG
248.98KB

anarres
09-05-2004, 14:00
hehe. Strangely familiar. ;)

Aggie
18-05-2004, 22:09
Turn 98: [party] The two Spanish units lost vs my warrior [lol]

I discover CoL and now research is on Republic. I'm the first with CoL AFAIK.

Turn 102: Spain wants to talk again. They have two galleys close by, but no units on my lands. I will let them land and profit a bit more from the war hapiness. I'm 6 turns from a certain Great Library.

Turn 103: Two swords, a spear and a warrior are now next to Liverpool, which is defended by an archer and two warriors. I make peace for 80 gold and see that now the Vikings are at war with me! Guess that means that the war hapiness remains...

Turn 105: The GA ends... Krys is now bigger than me. It's good to see that I'm almost level, despite my wonder orientation.

Turn 109:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/200451822749_aggiekrystglibr.JPG

I finish the Great Library [party]. Next up is a settler. Finished in 2 turns. I have to expand like crazy now.

Turn 110: I get currency from the Great Library. I sell it to Egypt for 6 gpt, 60 gold and spices :) I'm 12 turns into the research of Republic on min science and no other has Code of Laws yet. I have also established embassies in 5 countries. Not yet in India and Scandinavia, with whom I'm at war.

Aggie
18-05-2004, 22:20
My land:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004518221529_aggiekrys110empire.JPG

The Demographics:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004518221748_aggiekrys110F11.JPG

The world map and the military vs Krys. Red arrow points to Carthage:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004518221930_aggiekrysF3.JPG

Aggie
21-05-2004, 07:11
Turn 112: Korea has 359 to offer for Literature. There is no reason to keep this tech for me alone, so I sell it for that price.

Turn 116: I get Construction from the Great Library. The Vikings have a galley close by, so I decide to make peace. After this I trade them Silks and Currency for Wines to compensate for the war hapiness loss.

Turn 123: Krys has CoL. So I quickly try to make a buck. The Vikings give me 8 gold and 6 gpt for it.

Turn 125: I have a lot of cash, so I spend 65 gold to investigate Oea, the cheapest of Krys' places.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/20045217840_Aggiekrys125oeacityscreen.jpg

He does a min science run as well and is doing quite ok as it is. And if I'm not mistaken, he is in a golden age! That explains why I'm not number one 1 the demographics anymore. I will build up a bit more and then sail to Carthage with galleys filled with swords. Parking them next to places like this, undefended.

Turn 129: I get Polytheism for free and enter the Middle Ages :D My army is finally average compared to Krys. I upgraded about 7 warriors to swords in a few turns...

Turn 130: Krys and I both had to deal with the Spanish, who dropped SoD's next to our cities. But after 20 turns they all have disspeared one by one. Guess they couldn't pay upkeep anymore. That Statue of Zeus with the free cavalry units every 5 turns is a mixed blessing I guess [lol]

Pastorius
21-05-2004, 10:36
[lol]
Yeah, I had ancient cav disband in the middle of battle as well. Even when I was outnumbered.
Well that was on regent, and the ai had too few cities to really support the amount of troops generated by the statue- and since it didnt attack before I attacked it, it was a walk in the park after a few turns...which really made me understand that it is time to forget about regent completely and only play monarch till I control that level and can move up to the dangerous emperor level.

Looks like you ve done quite well for yourself here. I was a bit surprised to see the starting position, but I guess that's archipelago for ya...taking into consideration that most people here are better at sea expansion than I am, I d say you will be doing quite well in the future.
I expect to see a mighty battle with Carthage - and lots of cool screenies.

anarres
21-05-2004, 13:54
I wouldn't assume cities like that are undefended - if krys is being sneaky his units will be outside his cities, waiting for you...

Of course it is still worth a shot, if they are undefended you will see when approaching and can make do with just a couple of swords per city. :)

Aggie
21-05-2004, 14:07
I already decided to strike with a big fleet and army. I probably won't send them in a big stack, but will use the different sea passages to only join the ships close to his border. 15 galleys and 30 swords/MDI's are my aim. I probably will strike the core cities, after investigating them.

The newest events are quite interesting and surprising though. And a foolish act of mine gave me a great reward:

Turn 138: Krys is in anarchy!! I'm guessing and hoping that he has Monarchy. I would be stunned if he somehow got hold of Republic. I still have 10 turns to go to get that.

Turn 139: Krys tells me he has Republic :( He must have profited from the GA to get it so fast. Maybe combined with a few libraries? He won't sell it around of course, I would get it via the Great Library then. But I have 1700 gold so....enough for a safe steal (1200 gold). It succeeds and I now also have Republic. I'm going into anarchy myself and draw 5 turns. Krys tells me he has 6 turns. I also sell Republic around and net 500 gold and 9 gpt. Only the very backward tribe of India doesn't get any.

Pastorius
21-05-2004, 15:18
Wow! That's just...wow....indeed a good investment...damned risky, but that's life - gotta take risks. Way cool. Good luck getting out of anarchy

microbe
26-05-2004, 02:03
Interesting game Aggie. As one who never played PBEM, how long does a game usually cost you? Usually how would you win? What's the major difference between this and normal games?

Aggie
26-05-2004, 06:52
How long does a game take? Well, if you look at my spoilers than you can see that they cabn take from a month to half a year. My game with Stapel I regarded to take a long time (half a year) and my games vs ERIKK and Jack Merchant generally were played quite fast. The most normal victroy in a PBEM is crushing the other human. This normally happens between Chivalry and Tanks. But I have won a Space Race once (non agression pact between the humans).

The major difference is that there's another tribe in the game with solid play and tactics and you tend to focus more on the turns. It's all far more relaxed.

Aggie
10-06-2004, 06:40
Turn 149: With 20 swords my army is finally stronger than that of Krys... I also lead in the demographics again.
Making 100 gpt and being the first in everything I decide to fully focus on military and nothing else.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/200461063836_aggiekrysdemoturn149.jpg

Turn 171: I now have 40 MDI's and on my way to Krys's place. He's at war with the Vikings now and the very conventiently took a size 6 city :).
I assume that my attack comes as a surprise. The tech pace is absurdly slow. Only one AI knows three of the first Medieval techs. Krys knows none of them.

Turn 172: I am now nr 2 in the money earning catagories. But I started my marketplaces now that my fleet is going to Carthage.

Here's my fleet in the right top corner (20 galleys and 40 MDI's). I can land from out of Krys' sight to two core cities in 7 turns (5 movement galleys). Shown with the red arrows. I could reach more cities, but I want to keep a SoD for Carthage itself. The blue arrows, to the capital and another major city unfortunatelly take a turn longer. I'm not able to invade the capital from an invisible spot...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/200461064821_aggiekrysinvasionforce.jpg

Aggie
10-06-2004, 06:45
Krys' homeland. AFAIK Russadir and Hadrumetum are Carthage cities. So Krys is hurting!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/20046106439_aggiekrys172carthage.jpg

anarres
10-06-2004, 10:27
Nice - the AI is helping! [groucho]

Beam
10-06-2004, 13:46
Look at the position of Carthage: resource denial for dummies. ;)

Aggie
10-06-2004, 13:51
Turn 173: I get Theology and Engineering from the Library and Krys still has NO MA tech.

Turn 174: Well, Krys got Hadrumetum back...

Turn 177: I get Chivalry for free, but no horses yet!

Scandinavia gives me 19 gpt and 14 gold fro an Aliance vs Carthage. My neighbours Korea and Spain agree to allie for Theology and 19 gpt.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004610135027_aggiekrys1stlanding.jpg

8 MDI's landed near Hippo and Leptis Minor. 24 others are ready to land next to Carthage next turn.

Aggie
10-06-2004, 14:30
Turn 178:

I get Invention from the Great Library :D

I need two MDI's for Hippo and three for Leptis Minor. Both had one NumMerc. I now landed near Leptis Magna and Carthage. 14 MDI's near the capital and 6 near empty Leptis. Other troops sail north and south:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004610142833_aggiekrys1782ndlanding.jpg

Krys tells me that I made him brake a trade deal after razing Hippo.

Beam
10-06-2004, 14:57
Sounds like:

Turn 18n:

Game over.

Well played Aggie!

Aggie
10-06-2004, 15:15
Krys conceded.

This was a very nice map and I loved playing it. I especially like the fact that an AI sneak attack can be killing. You simply can't neglect your defenses. The other good thing about it (imho) is the fact the the AI cities are almost impossible to take. A LOT of units in there, especially the capitals, making things tougher and make the AI more powerful vs the human here.

But there are also things I found less appealing about such a game. The AI produces too many units, because they run out of things to build in the beginning (before galleys). That means that they go bankrupt and slow the tech pace to turtle speed. We were at turn 180 and only at the start of the MA!

Another issue is the strength of the Lighthouse. My 5 movement galleys, able to sail the seas were uber units on this map.

Aggie
10-06-2004, 15:42
Only now do I notice that Krys did a 100% science run on Republic! How stupid to think that he did min science [:o]

Socrates
10-06-2004, 16:11
I don't understand why you stole Republic to me ? (BTW, I didn't know you did such a thing !) Couldn't you have waited for next turn, with the Great Library ? I can't see why you wanted it that turn ? Since I said I wouldn't sell it around... Didn't you lose a lot of money just for 1 or 2 turns ?

BTW, I really think you were able to settle that fast because you went for 4 cities on the starting island. I didn't want to do that ; hadn't I gone for the Lighthouse, I would have built all the available improvement in Carthage instead, and then would have been able to produce settlers a little sooner, and maybe have a shot at those wonders.

I'm sorry for those who waited so long to eventually see no action from my side. As already said, I was struggling with the Vikings, and they had many, many units. This is Deity, and even India (who was stucked with 2 cities for the whole game, due to a state of war with Aggie) had an average army compared to mine (and I have numidian mercenaries : 2/3/1 !!!). It would have taken dozens of units to capture the Viking homeland, and they were not far from their berserkers... Even with 20 more turns for me to prepare, I think Aggie would have won with the same stack.

Aggie
10-06-2004, 16:22
Krys, I stole Republic (a prefectly normal action in civ - and I would only tell if I had failed) because I was afraid that you wouldn't sell and that would mean 12 turns of waiting for it. And I did get a nice bonus from the AI, so in fact I only payed 500 gold. I had a lot of money that I couldn't use in despotism anyway. It was a hasty and maybe stupid move, but I made more. Luckily they were minor.

Socrates
10-06-2004, 16:28
Oh yes of course. I don't know why, but I just forgot that I was the 1st (yes) to get Republic. I understand now : no AI to give it to you freely. ;) And yes, I went at maximum science, and used and built libraries for that purpose (that and gaining some tiles).