PDA

View Full Version : Your most stupid self-inflicted injury?

anarres
22-04-2004, 00:58
Well, tonight I managed to walk in to the trapdoor to my loft and cracked my head open.

I think I need stiches because I have a hole in my skin about 5mm wide and 10mm long or so. I feel kind of stupid, and also am in lots of pain.

So, what's the most stupid injury you have ever given yourself? I'm sure someone has done something MUCH worse, if only they are prepared to talk about it. :D

ERIKK
22-04-2004, 08:06
I dont remember anything. I cut myself open a few times but that was when I was a young irresponsible kid, playing around!

Banzai
22-04-2004, 08:22
Once I was playing with some friends shooting berries at each other with your mouth using a tube.
I was "hunting" one of my friends when i stumbled over a branch.
I fell forward with the tube still in my mouth..
They say I looked like a vampire who just had a nice meal!
I still have a scar on the roof of my mouth.

Banzai!

Skyfish
22-04-2004, 09:55
Ouch!
One day on my 125cm3 Vespa, riding at 70kmh, I heard a big BANG in my back, thinking I had just popped my tyre I immediately turned my head towards the ground to look at my rear tyre. Because Vespas have the engine protruding from the back you can very hardly see your rear tyre so I basically lunged to my side and behind my back to look, lost balance, hit a very pavement, flew over it and a grandma just walking there, turned around in the air, the Vespa fell on me at full speed, rebounded with the engine still running (at full blast for one reason or another) so it went on going for another 15 meter where it went back on the road right in front of a car coming real fast who had to do an emergency brake not to hit it full power.
I broke my foot. Small price to pay considering I could have killed the grandma and wreck a car or even seriously injure its driver.
The Vespa was just bought 2nd hand from an old guy who had never driven it since the 60s so it was a definite collector's item It also cost me an arm and a leg at the time. I was 18 :D
The Vespa was wrecked.

col
22-04-2004, 10:09
I was riding a 350 Yamaha(less than a month old - my first NEW motorbike) in extremely hot weather (the summer of 76 for those old enough to remember it)It was so hot I took off my leather jacket, strapped it to the back and rode in a T shirt. Ten miles up a country lane I came round a corner to find the road had melted. Bike slid away and I went sliding for about 40m through molten tar. Took off the top few mm of flesh all the way down my arm, leg and left hand side and replaced it with tar. They were still getting bits out 6 months later.

ProPain
22-04-2004, 10:11
I cut a tendon in my right hand index finger when I was in high-school. Clashed beer bottles with a friend, the neck of my beer bottle broke off leaving a little protruding sharp bit just behind my index finger. That bit went right through my skin and cut 1 tendon in two and scratched another tendon. First few week I couldnt bend my entire finger, when the scratched tendon healed I could bend everything except the top. Tendon was stitched together a few weeks later but still I can't bend and stretch the top of the finger completely.

digger760
22-04-2004, 11:34
I once burnt my hand on a colied oven elememt . It left a coil burn imprint on my hand for weeks.

Or was it the time i fell of my bike going about 40mph in a big tail wind. The i went straight over the front handle bars and skinned my both hands, an elbow, one shoulder and a knee. That was 15 years ago and i still have the scars to prove it.

digger760
22-04-2004, 11:38
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

I cut a tendon in my right hand index finger when I was in high-school.

I have a friend who cut his pinky tendon trying to open a beer bottle against the bar by bashing down on it. The tendon never really healed, it is a funny site to see him cutting a steak and his pinky finger is poking up like he is drinking fancy tea.

Lt. Killer M
22-04-2004, 12:11
ouch!

luckiyl, i never managed anything worse than having to do a herb collection for bio studies. pressing the plants between wooden planks that were fastened with metal clamps. These stood up.

Henry thinks: 'I should put this one upright against the wall, otherwise I will fall over it tonight when I get home drunk! Them clamps sticking up are dangerous.'

I get up, trip, left foot shoots out forward to catch the fall - and hits the clamp!
The needed 5 stichtes BETWEEN my towes - that hurts!

Matrix
22-04-2004, 14:26
quote:Originally posted by Banzai

They say I looked like a vampire who just had a nice meal!
I'm sorry, it must've hurt, but this is a funny description! [lol]

I can't really think of anything stupid, though I know I've done more than enough to mention. They never left scars to remind me in any case, except for one little thing: it was during a practical of chemistry that I wanted to cut a hard rubber tube with the sharp point of scissors, and slipped so that the point pierced my thumb, exactly where there is a tendon I think. That was three years ago, but my thumb still clicks when I bend it. [rolleyes]

Skyfish' story is impressive! [eek]

Banzai
22-04-2004, 15:06
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I'm sorry, it must've hurt
It sure did, but not as much as the accident i had with my tricycle!
I was racing to my neighbours when the front wheel of my tricycle hit the 30 cm high doorstep. I tumbled over and my head hit the doorstep, causing a nice wound. My mother was completely shaken as she pulled me into the car to drive to the doctor but crashed into the car parked in front of her. I must have screamed very hard.

Banzai!

Gothmog
22-04-2004, 15:28
When I was about ten I was fixing my bike... putting on some new gears and adjusting my chain. Had my bike suspended so I could run the pedals to test the gears. I had it all done and was quite happy with my work. I was on my knees and reached up to hit the hand brake on the bike with my left hand, at the same time for some still unexplained reason my right hand drifted towards the bike chain. The middle finger of my right hand made contact with the chain and was dragged up into the the gears to be spiked by the brand new teeth. One of the gear teeth went all the way through, penetrating my fingernail about half way down. My first instinctive tug to free my hand failed and I had to work the pedals in reverse to free my finger.

Luckily I narowly missed the bone, and did no damage to any tendons. I still have minor problems with that nail bed and a mass of scar tissue starting about a cm down from the tip.

On the plus side I wore a giant bandage on the middle finger of my right hand for the next couple months... giving everyone the permanent finger.

col
22-04-2004, 15:35
On reflection the most painful and stupid moment involved trapping myself in a zip. Yup that zip and yup that part.

The real pain was when I realised that i would have to pull the zip back down again to free myself.

Banzai
22-04-2004, 15:47
quote:Originally posted by col

On reflection the most painful and stupid moment involved trapping myself in a zip. Yup that zip and yup that part.

The real pain was when I realised that i would have to pull the zip back down again to free myself.

[rotfl]
oops.. sorry [blush2]

Socrates
22-04-2004, 15:52
Hey, col, was it you who played in that movie about Mary ??? :D Sorry, couldn't resist. I apologize... definitely.

No real injury as for me so far. Some little stuff, but nothing like what happened to all CDZ members. Do PBEM pains-in-the-ass count ? [blush]

Cruise
22-04-2004, 23:05
Carrots and beans, Carrots and beans!!

Darkness
23-04-2004, 07:56
I was riding an old (and somewhat unstable) bike a couple of years back. Really in a hurry, so I was racing, standing on the pedals and stuff. Then one of the pedals broke... And I kinda hit the metal frame of my bike with my privates... Really painful... :(

Matrix
23-04-2004, 10:34
Ah, such a thing happened to me too once: I was drunk and simply wanted to sit on my saddle...but missed. [wallbash]

yndy
23-04-2004, 11:59
Mine is also related to the bicycle but I’m not good with the English translation of the bike parts.
* five minutes later
OK, the part I was looking for is the chainring.

So my chain fell and I was trying to put it back (I was like 8-9 years old). I rolled a part of it on the chainring and pushed the pedal to get it into position. But since I did not wanted the bike to leave I had it suspended on my other foot. It was a cumbersome position but I was actually holding the chainring and the entire bike on my foot.

Naturally I pushed as hard as I could and the chainring, just like a chainsaw, cut all the way to the bone of my other leg. Ended up with a 10 cm scar that I still have. Lots of bleeding also.