PDA

View Full Version : Deathmatch III

Matrix
18-04-2004, 00:53
Last try. Drie maal is scheepsrecht. ;) This time with Conquests. And this time everything's perfect. (Except for the map, that'll never be perfect.)

I don't know if it's possible to find seven players who dare to try again. Nooit geschoten is altijd mis. [:p]

quote:Deathmatch III (http://www.straland.com/download/deathmatch3.biq)

This one is with Conquests. :)

Every city has all peaceful improvements (nuclear plant when possible, otherwise solar plant), but no military except for barracks, walls, harbours and airports. The capital has Wall Street, the second city Forbidden Palace and the third Secret Police Headquarters. Every city also has two veteran mech. inf.'s. Other small wonders are not yet built.

Your entire land is covered by radar towers, defended by a vet. mech. inf..

Every civ has eight sources of one luxury, and one source of every strategic resource. Those Civs unfortunate to start spread over more than one continent start with transports and destroyers.

There are no great wonders (all 'obscolete' with Integrated Defense [:p]) except Manhattan Project and United Nations.

http://www.straland.com/images/Deathmatch3.gif

[u]Players</u>
- Matrix
- akots
- Beam
- Tunerica
- ProPain

3 spots open

akots
18-04-2004, 05:35
Sounds interesting. Never played to modern warfare and getting some experience might be useful. Is it PBEM or just straight MP? What difficulty? Some twist or straight? AP or not? Turn limit or just Conquest to elimination? If PBEM, sign me up please for something in one piece like yellow or orange please. Or purple or red if all others above are already taken.

Beam
18-04-2004, 09:51
Cool Matrix! [coool]

Lets rock 'n roll! What level we are going to play? The Reds for me please :)

Matrix
18-04-2004, 13:10
I prefer default rules, certainly not AP! (SP might even be better [:p]), except for victory types. How about just conquest? Please no turn limit! [:o]

I think it's best if starting locations are random. [:p] Otherwise I'd like to yellow.

Matrix
21-04-2004, 12:53
Alright, finding 8 players might be a little difficult, looking at the reactions so far. [hmm]

Let's choose a deadline, and then I'll remake the for the amount of players we have then. Is that ok?

Four would be very doable: I'll just combine two civs into one four times. ;)

akots
21-04-2004, 17:04
Let's wait for a while. It is possible to try to find some more people. I know a bunch of CFC/RBC players who wanted to try PBEM but never got a chance. Just to scare off: they are mostly top 20-30 in the list.

Matrix
22-04-2004, 16:15
In what list?

tunerica
22-04-2004, 16:30
I might be interested, what sort of commitment is expected? That is, how often do turns need to be done?

Matrix
22-04-2004, 17:24
I think one turn every day or two days is sufficient. Such a game shouldn't take very long.

ProPain
22-04-2004, 17:49
looks agressive enough for me. Put me down for a random civ.

akots
23-04-2004, 00:51
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

In what list?

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/rankings/global.php

Matrix
23-04-2004, 10:33
Ooohh, sure, fine. :)

Matrix
27-04-2004, 11:36
Ok, it's 9 days ago that I posted this. I think I'll rearrange the cities into five civs and then we're ready to play. :) Ok?

akots
27-04-2004, 15:37
Fine with me.

ProPain
27-04-2004, 16:55
ok

Beam
27-04-2004, 17:32
[goodjob]
I hope to be able to make one turn a day, I agree the game will be over soon in terms of total turns, but those turns will be quite intense.

We learned you all the tricks Matrix so we expect you to win this one easily ;)

akots
27-04-2004, 18:37
Just to speed the things up with turn movement, I'm US Central time, minus 6 hours GMT.

Skyfish
27-04-2004, 20:20
quote:I know a bunch of CFC/RBC players who wanted to try PBEM but never got a chance. Just to scare off: they are mostly top 20-30 in the list.
Dont wanna sound too much of an arse but none of the guys on that list are RBC players akots ;)

Beam
27-04-2004, 21:21
CFC players are always welcome on the BBQ ;)

Matrix
27-04-2004, 21:40
What civ do you want to be? (Not what location, cos that'll be random.)

I think I'll claim Scandinavia (mil/sea). [evil]

Or should I disable all traits (deselecting them all in the rules)?

Beam
27-04-2004, 22:06
Maybe deselect them or we will have a voting round for Seafaring Civs.

If we play with Civ Specific Spain for me!

EDIT: is it allowed to DL the biq and have a peek?

akots
27-04-2004, 22:54
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Dont wanna sound too much of an arse but none of the guys on that list are RBC players akots ;)

Well, I have by now a decent experience with RBC rules and can tell you it makes a little difference once you adjust yourself. Agree that you are allowed to do weird things in GOTM. But in the end, playing strength pays back. If you know the game and play well, it is possible to be the best in either rule set.

Without being too wordy, just one example. We recently replayed GOTM14 with RBC rules and actually 2 teams out of 3 won earlier than the original players a year ago did (including Moonsinger), with higher score, less problems, and indeed very efficiently. Even though back then, they have used some of currently banned exploits.

Anyhow, winking on GOTM rules and players is too easy to be masked as inability to efficiently compete there. No offense, please. I'm a straightforward person and type first and think last. IMHO, RBC rules are much better and more fair but I don't like a number of variants and I like to compete with many people, not with 10 or 15. That way, even if in your own opinion, you fail miserably, it is still possible to get into the top 20 out of 100 total as a small consolation. :)

Wow, what a long post, sorry about that.

Edited: There are indeed about a dozen of GOTM players who play SG with RBC rules. Guess, it takes too much time to play both RBC epics and GOTM on a regular basis.

akots
27-04-2004, 23:01
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

... Or should I disable all traits (deselecting them all in the rules)?

It would be fare to disable all traits or enable all traits for all civs. That way we can play a dream-civilization. If you choose to keep the traits, please, something commercial and seafaring. Or commercial and militaristic.

Socrates
28-04-2004, 00:01
quote:Originally posted by akots

Guess, it takes too much time to play both RBC epics and GOTM on a regular basis.

You have no idea. ;) I tried to do it last year, but it ate my time as hell, and more importantly, I was always late for deadlines, and I was starting to do it like homework, and thus I came to a light burnout at the end of the year. Maybe I'll play some more RBCiv Epics someday (completed only one, but retired from many), but only if I'm pleased with the variants (the Mayans one was very cool, but I lacked the time, and the following games weren't of my taste).

And BTW sorry for the spamming. [fdevil]

Matrix
28-04-2004, 00:47
quote:Originally posted by Beam

EDIT: is it allowed to DL the biq and have a peek?
Sure. Otherwise it would give me a serious advantage, wouldn't it?

Though I changed the location of resources to make it fit for five players. (Now everyone has one gem, silk and dye, plus five of the same, but different for every civ.) But you'll see that soon enough: whole map is revealed from the start.

Anyway, I'll remove all civ-specific traits and start the game. :)

Matrix
28-04-2004, 01:32
Order of play:

1: Matrix
2: Beam
3: ProPain
4: akots
5: tunerica

Beam, could you PM me your e-mail address? This time I'll attach the save...

By the way, it's version 1.22.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif DM3Beam001.SAV (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/200442813048_DM3Beam001.SAV)
213.75KB

ProPain
29-04-2004, 09:52
Version 1.22 is a bit too experimental for me, so I have to install that. Will do that at home tonight and play then.

Matrix
29-04-2004, 10:49
Ok. I supposed we all have to switch to 1.22 some day anyway.

We got a new thread, in the open thread forum, by the way. ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1760

Beam
29-04-2004, 11:36
Dual install is easy. It took me more time to purge old savs and write the post than the actual dual install.