PDA

View Full Version : Dell19 vs Beam * * SPOILER * *

Beam
09-04-2004, 20:49
Turn 8, warrior pops Pottery from a hut. 2 more huts nearby.

Beam
19-04-2004, 22:03
Dell and me are making good progress through the game. The pic does not need a lot of explanation, just a Q from my side: is it worth to go for a 3 turn settler pump? Requires an average 7f and 10s [eek].

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20044192215_settlerpump.jpg
256.51KB

Socrates
19-04-2004, 22:55
Excuse me, maybe I'm tired, but I really can't see how you can pump out a settler every 3 turns... That would require 40 food units in 3 turns, ie. 14 food units per turn. [hmm] But, even with the corruption taken into account, I'm pretty sure you can eventually set up a wonderful factory (1 warrior and 1 settler every 4 turns). You must at least bring the 3rd cow into your city's radius (it requires the founding of a new city in the east). Not to mention the wheat in the north... And you'll have to mine all the cows and some bonus grasslands, instead of irrigating them. At least that's what I'd do.

It looks like you started the game with 2 settlers ; too bad you chose the wrong location for your capital. ;)

Beam
19-04-2004, 23:10
Many thanks for your comments krys!

As a matter of fact we started this game with one settler and due to misfortune in exploration it took quite a number of turns before I discovered the 3 cows. Therefore the mined/roaded BG near the cap.

In the current situation a 4-turn sf is a very safe bet. Please take the granary into account, it halves the food required ;) I would have to dedicate near future cities in order to create a 3 turn sf, not sure if that will work out in the long run.

Socrates
19-04-2004, 23:32
Oh stupid me : I got confused once again, and I thought you were in 2800BC, while it was actually the turn on which you founded the city. [blush] I was wondering how you could have built a granary in that city so quickly... :D

Hmmm, not sure you understood me well, though. A 3-turn settler factory is impossible to set up, since you need to grow twice during the cycle, and BTW three isn't an even number. All you can do here (amplified by the fact that the city suffers corruption) is a 4-turn settler factory ; but I told you about the wonderful factory : you can visit my spoiler (game vs Killer) to see how I did. I'm also experimenting other kind of factories (a new one to me, in my game vs Stapel, though I haven't talked about it yet, and Stapel, it's too late for the spoiler info).

All in all, you must go for the wheat quickly, it will help you. But I'd keep my 3 cows for Bombay. You won't have a chance to set up another settler factory, I'm afraid, and I would hardly encourage you to do so if another great site was in sight : unless the map is huge and empty, getting to a 3rd site (after the capital and the 1st factory site) would require some time, and wouldn't be set up in time to produce enough settlers, regarding the investment. I would use other food bonuses for a city dedicated to building spearmen or offensive units after a barracks. ;)

While Aggie is the master for telling people to go after whatever ivory source (Statue !!! :D ), I tend to prefer giving advice for the 1st turns, as it's what gets me the most excited.

Beam
05-05-2004, 21:23
Turn 57:
Get Philo first. :D I've done everything to avoid it. ;) Select Lit. as free tech. Sell Philo around. Tech leader now. [sleep]

Beam
08-05-2004, 17:02
Turn 60:

Just met Dell, far away. He lacks Phil., Lit and HBR. I am slowly moving away from him in Civ score and F8 stats look quite similar. The Indian settler factory almost is operational, doing 5 turns now, soon this will be 4. :)

Not a dotmap but an arrowmap this time. There also is space to expand to the west but very mountaineous so for the time being I leave that to the Ruskies and grab it later.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20045817371_dvbt60dotmapeast.jpg
133.19KB

Beam
16-06-2004, 21:22
Turn 87:

Dell isn't that far away. :) Aggie created a Horseshoe continent with a coastal crossing point.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004616212117_dellvsbeamrtv.jpg
102.43KB

Early game I thought settling the peninsula would end expansion but the Ruskies prob. don't like mountains. Tech lead over Dell, he is 1st in absolute pop and trailing in Civ score.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004616212221_dellvsbeamt87minimap.jpg
11.72KB

Beam
27-06-2004, 12:49
T102:
Dell was first at Monarch and closed the tech gap. He went into anarchy. We'll see if he goes Mon. or Rep. I've postponed revolting Rep. because most of Indian cities are size 1 or 2 due to settlers and workers needed for expansion. Just discovered Curr. and first in the MA.

Plan now is to revolt once most cities are size 3 or larger, meantime research at max. and prepare warrior upgrades. Cathy will be the first victim and is backwards by all standards.

Grille
27-06-2004, 17:55
Will you attack Russia very soon - I mean even before you have Elephants around?

Beam
27-06-2004, 18:14
quote:Originally posted by Grille

Will you attack Russia very soon - I mean even before you have Elephants around?

Most likely yes. This is a Monarch game and Russia is pretty weak, besides it gives access to 2 more luxes. But that won't be until after a 2nd civ goes into the MA and the barb stacks are gone.

Just revolted and will be back in Rep. in 2 turns. I'm considering to mass upgrade all warriors with Sci at 0%, then get back in the techrace. Meantime cities can grow and take full effect when the GA comes in while attacking Persia with Elephants. As you can see on the minimap there is a 2 city bottleneck that can be defended easily. Use the GA to move to Astronomy and build / upgrade a fleet to invade Japan. Timing will be based on the situation by that time.

About to complete a circumnavigation of his terr. and looking at what he has in place I should be able to simply outgrow him.

There is a risk of a surprise invasion of course, guess you know everything about that Grille! ;)

Grille
27-06-2004, 18:40
Hehe.
The map looks like the surprise could easily end near Yekaterinburg.

Beam
29-06-2004, 20:51
Turn 107:

Dell is not doing bad at all. We both basically finished settling the best terrain. Now take a look at these two sections of the map. First Dells:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004629203419_dellmapt107.jpg
136.67KB

And mine:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004629203538_beammapt107.jpg
219.37KB

The 2 white dots is where Dell most likely has 2 more cities. And a count shows that both of us have 19 cities atm. So Dell did a pretty good job of expansion and settling although there is a Greek city in his core.

Now take a look at both maps. Both pens are identical in shape. Easy with DrA's tool (how is he doing atm anar?) but take a close look and see how the capital M Mapmaker subtly adopted tiles to blend in with latitude. Great job Aggie!

Dell revolted to Monarchy and the Indians are Rep. now. Couple of the AI made it to Currency as well and triggered uprisings, one is near Hyderabad (16 Horsies). Means I will spend +350 gold next turn on what's needed and have to refrain from -gpt research for a while. None of the Sci AI made it into the MA, which increases chances of being able to trade Engineering for Mono or Feud.

Besides tech the main advantage I have over Dell is a larger population which helps maintaining the tech lead. Because he went Monarch it is easier for him to maintain a standing army while keeping pop happy at reasonable cost but as soon as more Indian cities go beyond size 6 I can take advantage of the 3 unit treshhold.

Aggie
29-06-2004, 21:10
Thx Beam. Nothing so annoying as desert near the north pole.

Grille
10-07-2004, 23:23
Any news?
[groucho]

Beam
11-07-2004, 01:41
Nope, nothing until Dell is back from holiday. If someone knows a way to migrate 1.15 to 1.22 she or he has my eternal gratitude. We both can't load the 1.15 sav in 1.22 :(

Pastorius
11-07-2004, 15:45
Just wanted to comment on your arrowmap there: not the ProPain quality :D but good work.

Is it just me, or does your building pattern very much resemble Dell's. This will hopefully result in a battle of epic proportions, since I have a feeling neither of you will let yourself get caught with your pants down. This doesnt look like a game where one player just bends over ;)

Beam
25-07-2004, 16:06
Turn 129:

Thinks that can happen at Monarch: [lol]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20047251624_russianflip.jpg
173.7KB

Got a War Elephant as defender [tongue]

Dell is lacking Mono, Eng and Chiv. Going Monarchy instead of Rep. definetily is a bad idea.

Building Loxodonts and upgrading Equidae now for a sweep through Russia.

Beam
31-07-2004, 15:27
Turn 141:

Almost done with Cathy and well in the Golden Age. Gunpowder and researching Chem. Dell is way behind in techs, only has Mono and Feud.

The area on the pic is called Korea:
- It is between Russia and Japan
- The N is full of barbs [evil]

Plan is to settle there as soon as it is cleared of barbs.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004731152647_mapt141.jpg
177.03KB

Beam
20-08-2004, 14:01
Turn 166:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004820135426_front166.jpg
84.17KB

Time for action! Japan started a war with England on the other side of his "empire", India just took 2 Samurai, a Pike and gained 2 Trebuchet. :) [evil]

Dell still needs Chem and Banking while India almost researched Magn and just needs ToG for the next age.

It won't be possible to fully conquer Japan in this campaign but some serious damage is very likely. [estwing]

Plux
20-08-2004, 16:46
Good. Give it to him! :D

Matrix
20-08-2004, 17:29
Good luck! ;)

Dell19
20-09-2004, 17:39
Well we decided to end the game as it was severely unlikely that I would ever catch up to a position where I could actually challenge although I did destroy England between the last screenshot in this thread and now.