PDA

View Full Version : Aggie's PBEM and SG "Ruleset"

Aggie
09-04-2004, 00:45
In my PBEM's and Succession Games I will always try to make the following agreements. I could be persuaded to deviate form it, but still I want to make clear how I want to play this game called CIV. Most of the issues below are a matter of trust. I will always discuss the tactics before I start a new PBEM.

Banned Tactics
These tactics are banned in my SG's. I got my inspiration from RBCiv, with a few slight differences:

"Phony Peace Treaty": Making Peace Treaties without having the intention to stay at peace, just to get cheap techs, cities or money.

"Palace Jump"; Jumping the palace by disbanding the capital. Rushing a palace or building it brick by brick is OK.

"Mass troop jumping": When you give away a city to another tribe, all the troops from that city are transported to your capital. This can be exploited. Especialy in scenarios where you need to take an important city (for example a possible 20K city) and after that want to get your troops home safely. It is OK to give away a city with up to two defenders in it.

"RoP Rape": Using Right of Passage to move whole armies into attack position.

"Throwaway Cities": It is possible to go everywhere by settling, moving a setter one tile further in, abandoning the old city, founding a new one, etc...etc... A city shouldn't be abandoned in the same turn as it is settled.

"Resource Piracy": Sitting on resources or deny a civ access to a tile inside the borders of the rival while at peace.

"Seed Corn": It is not allowed to buy the LAST TWO workers from the AI before 1000 BC.

"Negative cash research": The penalty of negative cash is only one unit. So there are cases where this can be worthwile. Science spending must be lowered when the cash would go below zero.

"Great Library slingshot": When you capture the Great Library city before you have Education and keep it one turn, you will get ALL the technologies known by at least two other tribes. You can get from the Middle Ages into the Modern Age with this tactic. The Great Library slingshot is not a valid tactic in my SG's. You are allowed to capture the Great Library city as one of a number of cities to weaken the owner. But it can't be a campaign to capture this city alone, hold it for a turn and then abandon it.

OTHERS:
Things that I didn't name but are in the spirit of what I mention above I would like to have discussed.

PBEM features

GAME DESIGN:
"Scientific Great Leader"
I would like to disable the SGL in my PBEM's, because it can greatly imbalance the game with a few early lucky breaks.

"Statue of Zeus"
More difficult, but I would like to make arrangements about the SoZ.

PLAYER AGREEMENTS:

"A deal is a deal"
I expect that the players stick to a deal they make with the other player.

"Military Alliances"
I would like to allow MA's. But with the restriction that a player can only have a MA with another civ vs a third civ once every 20 turns. MA's with more than one opponent are fine, as long as they are not renewed before the original deal would have ended (after 20 turns).

Example:
Greece has an MA with France vs Babylon. After 5 turns France and Babylon make peace. Greece may only get another MA with France vs Babylon 15 turns later. This also implies that France and Babylon may get a MA vs Greece on the turn they make peace. But this is the end of the MA ping pong for the following 15 turns.

"Mutual Protection Pact"
I have no problem with them.

"Battle Reports"
We give each other battle reports when at war with each other.

Aggie
18-06-2004, 15:27
I got rid of the "dogpile" exploit, because it is only valid in vanilla CIV.

Aggie
09-08-2004, 14:10
I added the "Great Library slingshot" and "Mass Troop Jumping" to my banned tactics list. These will be added to my new games, not the running ones.