PDA

View Full Version : Looking for serious PBEM

akots
06-04-2004, 03:51
Well, nothing too serious. Just looking for PBEM games with one or several strong opponents to beat me up and teach the art of PBEM. Map size preferably tiny, small or standard at DG difficulty and up, C3C 1.15beta or 1.22 (both are OK). Conquest scenarios, cagematch, brutal variants are all OK. Prefer to play militaristic civilizations. It makes the opponents feel uncomfortable from the start. :)

Lt. Killer M
06-04-2004, 06:15
I'm game, but not before middle of April (away until then). :)

anarres
06-04-2004, 09:38
/me in!

Pick your civ Akots, and your preferred map specs. :)

Oh, and what difficulty level you want too. Just in case you don't know you can only have 8 civs in PBEM's, so we tend to play standard size maps, with 6 AI's.

We have map makers who will also balance maps, otherwise you can win or lose at the roll of the RNG. I would very much prefer thsi to an RNG-created one.

Skyfish
06-04-2004, 11:24
Level is Demi-God anar ;)

anarres
06-04-2004, 12:33
"DG difficulty and up" [:p]

Are you trying to catch me out today Sky? You know you have no chance! [:o] :D

akots
06-04-2004, 12:53
quote:Originally posted by anarres
Oh, and what difficulty level you want too.

Thanks for the offer. It would be of interest to play a small map, Pangea-type OK. Deity, other settings normal (no barbarians). Preferably food bonus and river on start but probably we survive without it. Always wanted to try Japan, never had a chance. One twist though: maximal AI aggression. Should be able to survive that IMO. If that is OK, we can ask for a map and start right away on April 16th.

akots
06-04-2004, 12:57
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Thanks for the offer. Looking forward to you coming back. Will settle the details then.

akots
06-04-2004, 13:02
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Level is Demi-God anar ;)

You are a very strong player and it would be difficult for me to take over your AI conquest rate. Can you play without the AI? I have never tried that. Just two humans? Tiny Pangea map? No barbarians either. I'm sure to learn a couple of tricks before losing...

Skyfish
06-04-2004, 13:46
quote:Are you trying to catch me out today Sky?
Indeed sorry for the hassle mate !
Its only cause I love you so much [love]
:D

ps : looks to me I already caught you out twice today, you on a bad slope baby [lol]

anarres
06-04-2004, 13:48
quote:Originally posted by akots

Oh, and what difficulty level you want too.

Thanks for the offer. It would be of interest to play a small map, Pangea-type OK. Deity, other settings normal (no barbarians). Preferably food bonus and river on start but probably we survive without it. Always wanted to try Japan, never had a chance. One twist though: maximal AI aggression. Should be able to survive that IMO. If that is OK, we can ask for a map and start right away on April 16th.
Hmm. 8 civs on maximum agression on a small map is just too agressive for me! I like hard games, but I also like to build an ampire before the AI come and eat me up. ;)

How about either 6 AI's max agression on a standard size map, OR 4 AI's max agression on a small map?

Since this is gonna be painful I want the Iroquois. :D

akots
06-04-2004, 15:56
Hmm. 8 civs on maximum agression on a small map is just too agressive for me! I like hard games, but I also like to build an ampire before the AI come and eat me up. How about either 6 AI's max agression on a standard size map, OR 4 AI's max agression on a small map? Since this is gonna be painful I want the Iroquois.

OK, then small map, Pangea (I'm talking real Pangea), total 6 civilizations, 4 AIs (random), no barbarians, deity, maximal aggression, normal settings for everything, victory types all normal (conquest, domination, space, UN, cultural) except wonder, no respawn, no culturally linked start, preserve seed, no kings/queens/VP and other weird things like elimination. It would be a brutal game but I still would try to make it with Japan. Just need some iron somewhere. Can we put this in the map request? You get (or don't get) horses hearby and I get (don't get) iron in the vicinity. Otherwise, if you get horses and I don't get iron or the opposite, it might be really unfair. Or we both don't get what we need. And both should have similar good or bad starting locations. If I'm asking too much, just let me know.

Edited: Not sure how you deal with exploits here. I'm pretty much used to GOTM or RBC rules but would accept anything you suggest (except gold mine and mobilization exploits). Just have to settle that to make the things clear.

anarres
06-04-2004, 16:17
akots - the balance issues you mention are exactly what our map makers are for. :)

I made a map request - see if you agree with it: http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1690

IIRC we just changed the map making procedure for 1.22 (now the load bug is fixed), so we PM the map maker and they enter it in the game for us. I am sure a map maker will let us know in the thread I linked above.

akots
06-04-2004, 17:45
I'm still inclined to discuss the rules a bit. (Edited a previous post but not sure you have noticed it).

anarres
06-04-2004, 17:57
Ahh yes, the rules! I keep on meaning to draw up a "standard" set of rules that I can use for all my games.

FWIW "mobilisation exploits" no longer exist, since now ALL production is switched to military.

I will grab the ISDG list tonight and use that to draw up a set of rules. That is almost totally exaustive, so it should be good to use.

akots
06-04-2004, 20:30
Yes! That would be really nice of you! But don't you have some standard ladder rules?

I do also assume that in case of doubt, administrator (map designer, appointed ladder judge) can solve the conflict. (?) Do you keep turn logs and 10-turn increment saves or saves for some particular points of the game? In most cases with known honest players this is apparently redundant though.

anarres
07-04-2004, 10:04
No standard rules as such, apart from the "out of game" cheats like reloading and loading in SP mode (now fixed in 1.22).

I will try to night to get it done, last night was too hectic for civ...

Apart from restarts for balance issues (which we haven't had for a while), IIRC we have never had a dispute that couldn't be solved with the players. However, the map makers can judge for us if required. :)

FWIW I keep all my saves (160Gb hard drive :D), but you can delete them if you wish. On rare occasions we come across a trade bug that requires going back a few turns, but if I have the saves that would be enough to go back. (IIRC we have had this in maybe 5% of games).

akots
08-04-2004, 00:57
Good idea to keep all the saves. Since maps are never huge or even large, this would not take up lots of space. Hope my 60Gb 3-year-old HDD can handle that. I'm also more or less familiar with ISDG rules and they cover everything reasonable IMO. Though some exploits they leave unnoticed and are just not willing to include them or find it redundant because there is no AI in ISDG.

akots
17-04-2004, 20:28
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

Is it a good time now?

I'm still looking for the games.

akots
14-07-2004, 22:52
Hey, hey, anybody out there looking for a bloody brain-smashing game?

I'd like to play a more or less random (map maker-balanced) tiny pangea map with another human opponent only (no AI). All other things are negotiable. Any difficulty is OK, even chieftain. :)

OPD
14-07-2004, 23:16
I'd like a game, tiny pangea sounds good. :)

akots
15-07-2004, 04:59
What is the settings you want? Climate, barbarians, Wonders, victory types, civilizations, difficulty?

OPD
15-07-2004, 08:18
Don't mind at all.

I might try Persian as a civ though

akots
16-07-2004, 00:54
OK, then tiny Pangea (we must be on the same chunk of land but on opposite ends of it?), everything else random, no SoZ and SGL, cruel barbarian settings with no goody huts to pop and only camps?? Then, I'll be willing to go for Celts. Difficulty may be Emperor. If agreed, we then can post a map request.

IMHO, the game would finish during the Ancient Age. :)

OPD
16-07-2004, 12:55
That all sounds cool,

although if the game is likely to finish in the AA it may not be that good an idea to use a scientific civ. For a change I think I'll try the Zulus instead. :D

anarres
16-07-2004, 13:07
akots - FYI your email provider has bounced the emails I have tried to send you for the last week.

It appears your email ISP has blocked my outgoing email ISP. This is shit, I will upload the latest save to an open thread later today, but we need to find another solution - do you have another email I can use?

akots
16-07-2004, 18:10
Actually, mail.ru is very strict regarding junk mail. They frequently tend to exclude some domains which did not go through some approval process. Today indeed, the server has been down for 3 or 4 hours. Well, hotmail is no better and I'm using mail.ru for 8 years already. Besides, they have no account size limits and are usually very reliable. IIRC, they bounced 2 or 3 e-mails for these 8 years which is a rather good record IMO. Are you using MS-Outlook? Or the web interface? With Outlook it might be indeed a problem.

Please try akots at juno.com or sending to mail.ru from some other address or at another time. Sorry about that. It has been a problem sometimes. On the other hand, your CDZ address never gives confirmation hence I never know did you receive the save or not.

anarres
16-07-2004, 19:19
wtf has outlook got to do with it?

akots
16-07-2004, 19:27
Don't know exactly. It is that if you don't update it to the most recent security settings, then there are some viruses or other bugs there which are filtered by the server.

btw, mail.ru is still not working. Guess, using juno would be the best thing to do atm.

akots
16-07-2004, 19:41
Now mail.ru back online.
You never know what is going on. It is Russia, after all. :)

anarres
16-07-2004, 19:42
Well, I am a techie for a living and I can promise you I don't have a virus atm ;)

I have resent to akots at juno.com

akots
16-07-2004, 20:00
Got it there. At work atm, so will play later.

It does not mean that you have to have a virus. It is just that somebody sometime ago from that particular domain has sent something suspicious. Hence, they are checking messages and placing them in junk folder or even returning undelivered. Never mind. :)

anarres
16-07-2004, 20:09
Well, my domain is civ3duelzone.com, so it isn't that either. :)

My ISP (ntl) is probably allowing open relays on their servers so they can get used for spam...

akots
16-07-2004, 21:20
Certainly, it has nothing to do with CDZ domain but has something to do with your ISP which is ntlworld or even with their mail soft which is InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 or your Outlook IMO Build 9.0.2416 which looks up to date to me. :)

You'll never know... They've got Kaspersky antispam as well.

OPD
16-07-2004, 21:38
Annares, being a techie, have you heard much about gmail?

akots
06-01-2005, 03:15
Since I retired from CFC IDG-2 turnplaying, I'm looking for a 1x1 no-AI PBEM. Tiny map either pangea or continents with balanced civs.

grs
06-01-2005, 11:36
I am not sure I am good enough in PBEM yet, but I would give it a try if you like. Which other settings (barbs, level, geo) do you have in mind?

akots
06-01-2005, 12:26
[lol]I'm also not so sure.

Barbs: no goodie huts, otherwise anything, better raging or none.

Level: not so important since there is no AI, Emperor is OK imo. Otherwise, on tiny map, there is too little production and hence too few units and too much depends on pRNG. If wanted, possible to tweak the tech rate to make it slower. Or faster may be.

Georgaphy: Continents (no safe passage till Navigation) or Pangea (bloodbath prior to middle ages).

It is possible not to allow wars intil certain period of time or tech discovered.

grs
06-01-2005, 14:08
Ok, taken from your options I propose: barbs raging seems to random to me, so I would either like them lower or as you proposed none. Emperor level is ok for tech speed. I would prefer the Pangea bloodbath over the "lets build up till navigation" Continents.

About civ choice: How about we both (secretely) send our prefered choice to the mapmaker? Maybe send 2 choices, so if we both chose the same first, we both get the second?

akots
06-01-2005, 19:40
OK then, Pangea bloodbath without barbarians. We better pick up the civs openly for balance. For example, there is no balance for Iro or Aztec. May be they balance each other? [confused]Even Celts is no match for both. On the other hand, Celts are rather balanced with the Zulu. And seems that there is also a possibility of "no traits and no UU at all" like Rik and Beam are playing. Also, it is rather difficult to balance agri trait. I would try Egypt but what if there are lots of jungle and mountain passes on the choke (if there is any)? This would render WChariots essentially useless. It is really more complicated than it seems. Why don't you try to pick something and I will try to balance it with my counter-choice? You then can have an option to accept or selec another civ and we continue until we both agree.

grs
07-01-2005, 11:24
Ok, given that I would like to try the Maya.

akots
07-01-2005, 12:07
Should be something agricultural for balance with 1mp UU. Hows about Sumeria? Their UU is dumb but so is the Mayan Javeliners. If you agree, we then can try to post a map request. Or pick something else.

grs
07-01-2005, 15:17
Ok, if you like it we can do that Maya vs Sumeria game. If I get you right you would prefer other civs? If so, just make a suggestion.

akots
07-01-2005, 17:45
Nope, let it be like we have chosen. If possible, I would like us to start at locked war.

grs
07-01-2005, 18:11
Ok, that should be no problem, you can set that in the editor.

StrictlyRockers
09-01-2005, 14:50
If you would be willing to play a multiplayer game with more than two humans, maybe we could bet a PBEM game going with 3 pr four human players. I would really like to play some PBEM games now. I am willing to help with administration and turn pass babysitting duties and such. Please post here if interested.

Socrates
09-01-2005, 14:56
quote:Originally posted by StrictlyRockers

If you would be willing to play a multiplayer game with more than two humans, maybe we could bet a PBEM game going with 3 pr four human players. I would really like to play some PBEM games now. I am willing to help with administration and turn pass babysitting duties and such. Please post here if interested.

Must refrain... from being naughty... tough... bleh.

WELCOME StrictlyRockers !! Welcome to the wonderful world of CDZ ! You'll find our place is very neat, everyone is happy, and all is beautiful and peaceful and cool. [lol]

Apart from that, I think I found my "game harrassment successor" ! [goodjob] Could you tell a bit about you, I don't know you ? How and how long did you play Civ3 ? Do you wander on other sites ? Does your dog smell nice ? Would you be interested in a PBEM about the Ancient Times ? [groucho] If so, check the TAM thread in the opponent finding forum. Quick !! ;)

Are you French by any chance (see your "real name" in profile) ? [hmm]

akots
09-01-2005, 19:41
I'm still looking for a 1x1 no-AI PBEM. These games move rather fast unlike multihuman games. And are very interesting and exciting.

StrictlyRockers
10-01-2005, 02:55
I am interested in playing. I am a veteran player and committed to PBEM games.

StrictlyRockers
10-01-2005, 03:17
A little about me. I live in Berkeley CA. My name is Christo. I am American born and raise, but I used to live in Greece on the isle of Crete when I was a boy. Christo is what everone calls me, but I go by StrictlyRockers on the forums. Strictly Rockers is the name of the regggae radio show I do.

I have been playing Civ for 14 years, since Civ 1. I love this game just like all of you do.
I sometimes check out Apolyton and CFC site. Not much. This seems like about what I am looking for. I just want to find good players who are committed to playing out games.

akots
10-01-2005, 05:08
Ok, what settings you prefer? I'm rather neutral. It can be tiny-small map with continents (no passage until Navigation) or pangea (brutal slaughter right from the start). Level is to be Emperor. Other settings we can discuss as well as starting civs.

StrictlyRockers
10-01-2005, 05:51
quote:Originally posted by akots

Ok, what settings you prefer? I'm rather neutral. It can be tiny-small map with continents (no passage until Navigation) or pangea (brutal slaughter right from the start). Level is to be Emperor. Other settings we can discuss as well as starting civs.

Hi akots,

How are these settings?

Small map. No AI. Continents. 70% land. Normal climate. Temperate temperature. Age - 4 billion. Preserve random seed. Sci leaders on.

No attacks until 0 BC. Mulligan restart (for mostly jungle/marsh start). Tactical nukes allowed after all wonders are built. ICBMs allowed after tech tree is completed. Normal scoring. Fast emails at start to get first first 20-30 turns done quick, then we will try to do a couple of turns per day, or as frequently as one can get to them.

What settings would you like?

akots
10-01-2005, 07:02
The map will be made by mapmaker to ensure it is balanced. It is a bad idea to play random map in C3C. I would say no wars until one of us gets to Navigation or to Industrial Age and no units on each other continents as well. Well, we can ask so that the mapmaker will make no safe passage until Navigation between the continents. I would prefer to start in locked war. We would have contact from the start but will not be able to establish Embassy, steal tech before Espionage, and investigate cities. But we will be able to roughly know which techs we are having.

I'm not getting about tactial nukes. They are allowed when they are available imo. We'll ask specifically that uranium sources are evenly distributed and they don't run out before you hook them up.

Other points:
Barbarian level? No goodie huts that is for sure. Otherwise, not so important imo.
Victory conditions: Cultural, Domination, Conquest, Space. No Diplo, it is a nonsense anyhow for PBEM.
SGL - enabled, fine.
Statue of Zeus? Enabled or disabled (not that it is important). But still. As well as Knights Templar. I would not mind if we both have Ivory and it is enabled.
70% land? That much? Ok, we can certainly settle it all but it will be mostly corrupt on Emperor. May be you were thinking of 70% water? I'm sure it was meant as 70% water. [confused]

We can also start with 3 or even 4 settlers/workers/warrios each to speed the things up for the beginning and some extra gold for the treasury to pay maintenance for all this. No accelerated production though please.

Obviously, we should pick something scientific. I'd like Sumeria then though it might be a bit too overpowered and we can consider something else for a more balanced game. But whatever civ you want is fine.

Socrates
10-01-2005, 08:36
quote:Originally posted by StrictlyRockers

A little about me. I live in Berkeley CA. My name is Christo. I am American born and raise, but I used to live in Greece on the isle of Crete when I was a boy. Christo is what everone calls me, but I go by StrictlyRockers on the forums. Strictly Rockers is the name of the regggae radio show I do.

I have been playing Civ for 14 years, since Civ 1. I love this game just like all of you do.
I sometimes check out Apolyton and CFC site. Not much. This seems like about what I am looking for. I just want to find good players who are committed to playing out games.

WAOH, you lived on fucking Crete Island ?? [eek] So cool, man ! Did you like it ? Is the Knossos Palace super cool to visit ? Is it true you can visit it freely, the real one ? I wish I did a trip there someday... [cry]

Apart from that, it seems you found THE right place, SR. If you're sick of CFC's greatness (in size), if you want to have some friends you know well while playing Civ, if you like PBEMs (!), well there is no need to search anything else. Enjoy !

Oh, just to warn you, akots is one of our toughest players here, and he is specialized in 1v1 no-AI PBEMs ; I know, he beat me in such a game lately. [mischief]

Sorry for the threadjacking, akots ! [blush2]

StrictlyRockers
10-01-2005, 09:41
Yes, I can tell I have signed up for more than I bargained for already with alkots. He is unknown to me yet. My first worry was that I would not have a challenging game. Now I am more concerned the other way. [help]

Seriously though, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Ok alkots, the 70% land setting is only applicable if we were going to use a randomly generated map. I am really impressed that you have a crew of map designers on hand to create maps for the games! What a treat. That is one of the biggest complaints in addition to the variable RNG. The civ with the best land will usually win. There is too much blind luck involved in that. Maps that are balanced for playability is so great!

Having a late date for no attacks is a disadvantage for me I think. That’s why I requested only 0BC. How about 500 AD? A map which has three or four Ocean tiles separating the continents would take care of it as well I think. Open war at start is fine.

The nuke rules are a modification I like to have to limit use of nukes. I just don’t like playing with them as much. But I am not married to this rule. We don’t have to use it.

No goodie huts is a bit boring, but makes for a more even game, too, I suppose. I would prefer some goodie huts and barbs set at roaming. I like your victory conditions. Starting with three or four settlers is a good idea. Statue of Zeus is fine. Sumeria would be my first choice, too, but I will take Maya if you want Sumeria. Emperor level is good.

Can you submit a request for a map? I would hope that it would be a really great continents map, and one that is modeled to be similar to a randomly generated map.

akots
10-01-2005, 11:30
Another Shumeria versus Maya match. [lol]

Balance here would be tough but probably OK. If you are not sure, we can try some other pair. These kinds of games are suitable more for scientific civs imo. We can go for Greece-Ottomans pair (might be OK as well) or for Shumeria-Ottomans pair (of which I would gladly play either side). In case of Sumeria-Ottomans pair we can ask mapmaker to assign the civs randomly by throwing a coin.

500AD and 10AD is a big difference. Judging roughly by the map setting, 500AD would be a bit too boring especially if we start with 3 settlers. Navigation should be around 10AD give or take 10-20 turns. There would be nothing to do for the military otherwise. If you think it is a disadvantage, we can ask for at least 3 or 4 ocean tiles between the continents and then set no date at all.

And no goodie huts please. You can't get anything useful from them anyhow on Emperor (normally). And I know I'm not exceptionally lucky. Roaming barbs are fine though. And I seriously doubt the game would last to the stage of nukes. We need to set up Deathmatch IV to see them.

We can start with 3 settlers, 2 or 3 workers and 2 or 3 warriors and some 20 or 30 gold in treasury for the initial upkeep before we find a place to settle.

Please lets decide on these points first and then we can post a map request.

StrictlyRockers
10-01-2005, 14:31
Maya is at a disadvantage in a long game against a civ with Sci trait. That's one argument for no attack limit. Play the game the normal way. Let's ask for three tiles of ocean separating the continents. I'll take Maya or Sumeria. You can pick your civ.

Let's go with three settler, two warriors, two workers and 30 gold at start.

No goodie huts. Roaming barbs. Emperor. Are we all set? Let's rock.

akots
11-01-2005, 00:23
Map request has been posted.

akots
19-04-2005, 03:43
Since the game with Grs has finished, I'm looking for a 1x1 game or may be even two, no AI, all other options negotiable.

bed_head7
19-04-2005, 08:07
Hmmm...

My first PBEM hasn't started yet. Is it too soon to join a second?

Pastorius
19-04-2005, 12:07
Shouldnt be too soon - as long as you have time to play ;) The effort spent on a game is really up to you, so if you feel like playing 2 games at once, just do it.

In fact, when I started playing here, I was recommended 2-3 games running at once....

akots
19-04-2005, 19:15
It takes essentially the same time in the evening to play one game and 2-3 games.

@bed_head7: Any preferences?

akots
19-04-2005, 20:22
Still looking for another game apparently.

bed_head7
20-04-2005, 02:39
No preferences at all. Since level playing field is guaranteed, I'll take whatever is thrown at me, tundra or grass cows, Mayans or Portuguese.

akots
20-04-2005, 05:36
It is more important than it might seem. There should be some preference. Is it a brutal game you are looking for with gory ancient age battles (usually it ends up around turn 100-120 on tiny pangea and no need to build anything but barracks and units) or some more intelligent continents-type map when Navigation is needed to start killing each other? This means research is required. In all cases, there are 3 traits that can hardly be balanced: agricultural, seafaring, and scientific. Other traits are not so important.

Also, I have not yet played tiny archipelago map with multitude islands all accessible prior to astronomy. Don't know how this map would work.

I understand, for a universal player, there should be no huge difference, but still there might be some preference.

I have no preference regarding minor issues such as SGLs, SoZ, barbarians, etc. However, imo, we should start in locked war, and there should be no goodie huts. Once decided upon landshape, civs can be picked up and map request posted.

bed_head7
20-04-2005, 07:08
I would assume, of course, that the way the game would play out would be affected by map form and such. Locked war, no goodie huts, etc. are all fine here. I also realize that certain traits are unbalancing, and I assumed that that would be accounted for when I said I don't really have any preferences.

akots
20-04-2005, 07:59
If I may suggest a small map with about 80% water (at least 6 or 7 ocean tiles between continents) so that we will not be able to reach each other's continents without Navigation, no small islands, just two continents, mine and yours. This would mean relatively low corruption and little if none unproductive cities even on Demi-God or Deity. But Emperor level might be sufficient as well, just to speed up the research rate. It calls then for scientific civs to speed up the game movement and might be seafaring as well but we both cannot be Byzantines. This also means a somewhat later (not AA) UU. Seems that Ottomans is preferred civ for this kind of map but not sure about it. It would be really hard to balance, may be only with Byzantines or Portugal and even in this case not completely since Dromons are not so useful against Caravels and the ability of Carracks to cross ocean is not that important because only a single tech separates Astronomy from Navigation and Portugal is not scientific and would be outresearched easily imho.

Let's discuss the setting first and then we can pick up civs. Mapmaker cannot balance the traits, just the map. It will be probably identical continents, what else can be done for the balance? [confused]

Just figure out your other preferences for barbarians (no fix please if you are the second to move), SGL, SoZ, etc whatever you wish. And may be pick up a civ, I'll try to balance with my choice. The problem is that I have played Ottomans already in 2 games and they are extremely powerful civ even without Sipahi. We might try to avoid them and pick up something less potent.

bed_head7
20-04-2005, 08:11
Well, I honestly have no idea how to choose two equal civs for that map. I think if trying to balance tech rate and both be seafaring, the only real options would be Byzantines and English. English could keep up with the Byzantines, or close enough I think, and then the Byzantines would have an early naval advantage, and then the English would become the power once (if) magnetism is researched. Maybe I am wrong though.

As for SGL, get rid of them, right? SoZ could be eliminated or perhaps something else could be done to make it fair. By barb fix, to you mean NoAIPatrol? If so, I can edit that line back out.

akots
20-04-2005, 08:22
Honestly, I don't think England will survive to Magnetism against Byzantines. Regarding cheap harbors, militaristic civs also have them, so I would rate Rome higher than England on this map but not sure about it. Well, we can always choose non-seafaring and non-scientific civs both. Or you can try England (you) against Byzantines (me). No chance it is the other way. [evil]

There is always a possibility of playing the same civ with the same UU and traits. Like we both play Ottomans or Byzantines.

bed_head7
20-04-2005, 08:38
Really? Well, I'll trust you on it. This is why I wanted to let you make all of the decisions. Honestly, I am fine with whatever you decide to do.

akots
20-04-2005, 09:01
Ok, last attempt. Is there any civ you like or UU you like. For example, may be, it is possible, you had a dream of some samurai or berserk cutting your human foe into pieces and received a great pleasure from that dream? Make a choice and I will try to balance it with mine in critical traits. :)

bed_head7
20-04-2005, 09:33
Not really. Okay, how about this. I haven't played China since vanilla. I can give them a try again, I guess.

akots
20-04-2005, 21:23
Ok, great choice you've made. I have a few candidate civs to balance the great Chinese traits and UU:

Aztec, Germany, Carthage, France, and India. If you wish to exclude some civs from this list, please say so. Otherwise, I will pick one of these. Aztec and Germany have somewhat unbalanced traits but their UU is of no use in this game. Carthaginian UU is also of very limited use apparently. France and India seems to be OK for UU but they don't have cheap harbors and barracks.

bed_head7
21-04-2005, 02:25
You can play any one of those that you want.

akots
21-04-2005, 03:18
OK, it will be Aztec then. No SGL, SoZ balanced, some barbarians without fix, don't know what else. I'll post a map request shortly.

akots
21-04-2005, 03:35
Map request posted: http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2610

StrictlyRockers
17-05-2005, 23:21
I am officially conceding my game vs Akots here. After he got SoZ and TGL I could see that the rest of the game would be virtiually impossible for me to win. I will make a longer post on the game at a later date. I will confess that I had forgotten that SoZ was allowed. I think this Wonder may be a game unballancer and I should have argued to keep it out of the game.

Well played Alkots. Good game. :)