PDA

View Full Version : C3C patch 1.22

WildFire
03-04-2004, 05:56
[blink] New one already lol.

quote:NOTE: In order to take advantage of the fixes contained within this update you must download and install Patch v1.20 before installing this patch.

Patch v1.22 includes fixes for the following issues:

* Multiplayer Loading Problems
* Conquests Industrial Tech Page Problems
* Game Limits for Multiplayer Tournaments
* Radio Text Fixes

You can download it at http://www.firaxis.com/downloads/patch/Civ3Conquestsv122Update.exeor http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/patch/Civ3Conquestsv122Update.exe

Lt. Killer M
03-04-2004, 12:38
Firaxis sucks big time.

whatever they fix - they screw it right up again

[/rant]

I do not believe we will ever get a bug-free Civ. :(

anarres
03-04-2004, 13:09
I am actually quite impressed that after the 1.20 fiasco it is only 2 days turnaround.

I expect Tavis got very little sleep the last couple of days...

Socrates
03-04-2004, 13:39
Better wait for the patch that will gather all this mess, since 1.22 is just an "add-on" patch to 1.20... I won't touch it before that.

Civ3 will never get bug-free, Killer. [blush2] Welcome to the real world.

Shabbaman
03-04-2004, 13:40
Amazing...

Aggie
03-04-2004, 13:44
There is a part in me that is very happy with the way Firaxis deals with the customers. First they tried it publically, but that was too much to bear. So they got a selected group of people to talk to. Another part however does not understand why they come with a broken 1.20 patch after the decent 1.15 and a lot of time between that release and the release of 1.20. And that after the disaster of a release called C3C and the first patch of it.

I also don't understand why they fix things that aren't broken (Radio) and leave essential things out (SGL, to name one). I'm glad with the PBEM fixes, but essentially this is a SP game and there are too many issues still unfixed. I was always told (info in patch threads at CFC) that they have until June for fixes. After that Firaxis would end all effort on CIV3 and focus on other projects. Therefore I fear that not all big issues will be solved in time.

I'm not posting this at CFC, because I hate the opposing sides on that site. You obviously have people there defending Firaxis to the bitter end and other who only want to rant. No room for nuance there I'm afraid :(

Markstar
03-04-2004, 15:00
First let me say that I am very much in a ranting mood, yet I try to be as objective as possible whenever I look at the situation.
+ Anarres already got an earful yesterday, so I can control myself a little better now. [rant]

I think it's positive that they came out with a 1.22 upgrade that fixed some of the most obvious issues.

YET, this really shows that those things are NOT major fixes but minor things that do NOT take very long to set straight. So what's the excuse then for not fixing it in the first place??? What did they (or he) do all this time since 1.18? Certainly not actually RUN the game once before releasing the patch.

All this babbling about "so much testing involved" is simply bullshit. Or what did they expect, that ppl wouldn't notice and/or mind?

Matrix
04-04-2004, 12:02
I hate to say this but you'd almost start to think they are inadequate. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif They spent so much time in fixing - a normal developer would've already left this project and started a new one - and still they didn't fix something important as Age of Science!

Lt. Killer M
05-04-2004, 07:50
yeah, markstar must be right: 'testing' was not done at all, obviously.

just for fun I DLed 1.20 and installed it on another PC. I then imagined I was Travis and took the bug report list of 1.15.

after 15 secs of running the game I had found the first error.

oooops!

Stapel
06-04-2004, 11:24
From the CFC home page:

Note that the v1.22 patch does NOT support saved games from pre-v1.22 versions.

In other words: 100% useless for us PBEM players.....

Bunch of loosers.....

anarres
06-04-2004, 12:34
Well, that is there to cover their ass in case things go wrong Stapel, but if you must know we think it will be fine...

anarres
06-04-2004, 12:35
...And more importantly, the REASON there are issues is because of the PBEM fixes they put in!!!!!

So in fact they did something that made the patch 'worse' for everyone else, just to keep the PBEM crowd happy. [rolleyes]

Stapel
06-04-2004, 12:56
Well, then we should all upgrade to .22, I guess.

anarres
06-04-2004, 13:49
Yes we should! I am going to ask my opponents to upgrade, but I will run a duel install until they have all done it.

Stapel
06-04-2004, 14:24
I will simply upgrade, without informing my opponents.....

anarres
06-04-2004, 15:10
Evil. Pure evil! [evil]

ProPain
07-04-2004, 00:21
What worries me most is reading that firaxis is gonna end all effort on C3C in june! I'm not particularly looking forward to CivIV the way things are done at Firaxis nowadays.

Socrates
07-04-2004, 08:33
Since I started to play Civ3 (a little more than 1 year now, with PTW), I have always found real troubles in this game (if you consider I was kind of an addict, not the occasionnal player). The compatibility issue will never be fixed, not to mention the bugs that will still be there in the last version of the game, surely soon to come.

For Civ4, well, if I'm mature enough, I think I will wait for some weeks or even months for the game to be slightly cheaper... and to see if it is really worth it, and that there is no compatibility issue (you know, language...), and no killer bug. No more feeding them without bothering.

Stapel
07-04-2004, 10:15
Whenever civ IV comes out, I will buy the US version asap.
Not even the biggest bugfest will prevent that, I guess.

About C3C 1.22. What (major) bugs are there left?

Socrates
07-04-2004, 12:13
What a shame... 10 years ago, while I was playing SimCity and Civilization, games were sold in English language without question. To me it was "normal" that video games were in English, like other stuff. Hey, we were all born and educated under American power, and that affects us. Now video games can easily be translated into good language versions, and it's not a big deal to get each version compatible. However, Firaxis somehow chose not to do that. What do I care that my settler unit in the settler folder is called "colon" ? [cry] Buying a US version is for me a big step backwards, even though I enjoyed playing in English when I was younger (surely part of why I enjoy this language, and I learnt many words and sentences while playing...). I now enjoy speaking English through the Internet, so I don't need a US version.

As for refraining from buying on the release date, I hope to be strong enough. I must say that I had decided not to buy C3C if it wasn't compatible (was in my CFC sig for months) ; I had some quick chatting with some developpers (see september chat at CFC), and then I had enough thinking of it, so what did I do when C3C was eventually released in France ? I bought it straight away. And considering the time I've used it so far : started 3 PBEMs here, started 2 hotseats with my brother (quickly aborted), completed 1 conquest (Mesopotamia), started 1 RBCiv Epic (quickly aborted), and 1 SG (from which I dropped, though it was my SG !), that's all ! So far, I've never come as far as Education, and the last time I completed a solo game (PTW) was GOTM 24 (october). OK, I had to work too, but that really can't explain it all.

Damn, damn, damn.

Stapel
07-04-2004, 12:31
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

I now enjoy speaking English through the Internet, so I don't need a US version.

You also do no need a French version, I guess.

Translating software always gives problems. I have been the victim of it too many times. Vanilla & PTW even had differences between the UK and US versions, due to different CD-protection stuff. Very annoying.

I want an original, or nothing at all.

Socrates
07-04-2004, 13:17
What about ending the American golden age now, and starting a European one instead ? [hmm] That way, we could have an "original" version very easily. Well then, what do you think of French as the standard European language ?! [tongue]

Maybe you're right about getting a US version or nothing. Maybe I'll wait for this reason too : "is Civ4 worth having in French or not ?" Obviously, human translators aren't THAT superior to Google translator or such stupid stuff.

Stapel
07-04-2004, 14:21
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

What about ending the American golden age now, and starting a European one instead ? [hmm] That way, we could have an "original" version very easily. Well then, what do you think of French as the standard European language ?! [tongue]

Maybe you're right about getting a US version or nothing. Maybe I'll wait for this reason too : "is Civ4 worth having in French or not ?" Obviously, human translators aren't THAT superior to Google translator or such stupid stuff.

Well, I am not bothered at all by an American Golden Age ;). So far it has brought us civ, so why complain?

I have no experience with civ in other languages (apart from civ2 in French of course), but I have actually spent money on a Dutch version of Jagged Alliance 2..... It still gives me a headache. While all audio by the mercenaries was in English, there was also the possibility to use text balloons. These were in Dutch..... It is absolutely beyond my imagination that anyone likes that, yet some publishers decided to put effort in those ridiculous translations.

Luckily, one of my collegues went to SF when JA2 Unfinished Business came out.

One of the American CFC members sent me C3C, last november.

Grille
08-04-2004, 14:23
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Yes we should (=upgrade)! I am going to ask my opponents to upgrade, but I will run a duel install until they have all done it.

can you confirm yet that old saves are working fine, at least on first sight?

digger760
08-04-2004, 14:59
i presume to do a dual install is done the same way as PTW 1.14->PTW 1.21 was done that is the last time i did it.

does anybody know where the instructions are full getting dual boot working?

Shabbaman
08-04-2004, 15:46
Why...

Does the patch program says it's updating to version 1.21? That makes no sense...

digger760
08-04-2004, 16:51
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Why...

Does the patch program says it's updating to version 1.21? That makes no sense...

Were you replying to me?

Just to clarify...I need to have a C3C 1.15 to 1.22 dual boot...
and i wanted to know if that is done the same way dual boot was done with PTW.

Grille
08-04-2004, 17:58
Can't speak for PTW, but I could switch between all versions of C3C (up to v1.15, that is!) by backing up all files (not all folders) in the Conquests root directory, e.g. path /blabla/games/Civ3/Conquests/*files_in_here* (contains the exe and stuff) and the folder "Text" in that same directory.
Back up these files and that folder before patching and after patching. Before starting C3C.exe, put the version-relevant files (and "Text" folder) back into your C3C root directory. IIRC that worked at least up to v1.15 (btw, I even started the different versions before the back-up process and set the prefs, just to get fine .ini file(s) which is in that root directory).
Ok ok... it's probably not the most convenient method, but it spares some space at least...

As for my question, a friend of mine got an error message loading an older version's pbem save into C3C... (not sure *how* old the file was, though), so I'm a bit unsure now. I'm still using v1.15, because I'm doomed to use a very slow internet connection atm...

Matrix
09-04-2004, 22:01
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Yes we should! I am going to ask my opponents to upgrade, but I will run a duel install until they have all done it.
I can't load any old savegame now! [:o] [cry] Since I upgraded (and no, I did not back up http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/lipsrsealed.gif) I can only load savegames from scenarios (with their own biq data).

So why should you ask your opponents to upgrade if you can only continue the PBEM's with v1.15? [???]

anarres
10-04-2004, 02:46
You saying PBEMs don't save the biq data? Are you just looking at random PBEM maps or custom ones? IIRC custom maps should save the BIQ data. [???]

Matrix
10-04-2004, 11:04
Not if one didn't modify the rules. Then it's just the map stored (I suppose). In any case, scenario savegames work, my PBEM with Shabbaman doesn't.

Pastorius
11-04-2004, 19:54
Damn.
So many damned hours spent testing it, and still they manage to fuck it up some

[rant]
I ll just hold onto my 1.15 patch for now...

Blargh

Shabbaman
13-04-2004, 09:45
quote:Originally posted by digger760

quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Why...

Were you replying to me?

No... Just some frustration. When I was typing that I had just upgraded to 1.22, but the update program claimed it was installing version 1.21...

Socrates
26-04-2004, 20:42
Err, I just had enough, and so I installed 1.22 full (in French) over my 1.15. [blush] My game vs Killer can load (though Radio is still there ?), but my game vs Stapel can't (DataIO operation SystemError: DATE). I wonder why : does this have to do with player 1/2 ? Don't speak of dual installs please. [hammer]

Aggie
26-04-2004, 21:34
One of the games might be a scenario and the other might be a standard rules game. I don't think that you can load standard rules 1.15 saves in 1.22 generally (it doesn't work for my sg's). But I'm not up to date so I don't know if there's a workaround. I guess not. We're not dual installing c3c for nothing...