PDA

View Full Version : Col's Diplo 1 SPOILER

col
01-04-2004, 17:06
The opening diplomacy with France has been undertaken. My objective is to place France and England at each others throats and to make France fear an Italian stab.

I have agreed with France not to advance on Burgundy - unless by a prearranged standoff. I can always claim to have misunderstood if I decide to go there and say I expected a standoff.

I have agreed to allow France (support if possible - I candecide later) into Belgium and go for Holland and Denmark.

I urgently need to talk to Austria. Austria is dead without a strong alliance with Germany but this Austria may not have played anough to realise that.

I would like Russia to go south and take on Turkey obviously and may hint that Turkey is planning a stab via Armenia.

Meli is a sly double dealing back stabbing bastard. We could do well together. Italy Austria and Germany can form a mighty block.

The essence of Diplomacy is flexibility and avoiding commitment. Anyone can be taken down quickly if others ally against them.

col
02-04-2004, 20:14
After talking to all here are my initial impressions

France : Krys - I have no idea how old he really is but I picture him as a 17 yr old. Very eager but no idea what he is doing. he swings depending who talked to him last. getting very paranoid. I suspect Anarres has been blackening my name to him. I think I've convinced him that an early war between us would be disaster. He wants to do too much and promises too much to everyone. he will seriously piss someone off quickly. A loose cannon. needs to be taken out quickly. Not reliable enough for a long term ally.

England: Anarres. He will have read everything on the net by now and will play cautiously but flexibly. I can work with him because he can be relied upon to see what is in his interests and what is pure bullshit. He will be suspicious but his weakness is that if he thinks he sees a chance to pull a masterstroke he will go for it.... ;)

Austria: Tum. A bit of a newbie. Austria needs to be a diplo genius to do well - or to do as he's told. I hope I've convinced him that his masterplan of a joint attack on italy by he and France is lunacy. He must take the Balkans and must guard his back - and mine against Russia. I'm going to need to nurse him along. I've suggested his opening moves.... ;)

Russia : beam. Likely to be very aggressive. Likes playing hardball and I'm sure would like nothing better than hitting me from behind. Again however he can see what is in his interests. he will only be a real danger if he thinks he can see gains. he can be reasoned with.

Italy:Meli. Doesnt have much time and instinctly will react against Krys I'm sure. I've managed to keep his skin alive because I want to create the thre way alliand G/A/L . He can be persuaded I think. We have a history of covert agreements.

Turkey: Bas. Like Beam, a psycho. Prefers to be doing something. I think he's planning a sneak attack on Russia which should keep them both occupied nicely.

Short term: I want Den and Holland. I may have to forego one pf them if attacked. I can use Belgium as a bargaining tool between England and France. Both need me. I can keep Russia in line by allowing them to occupy Sweden.

Med term. Two builds. Two armies or One fleet one army. Depends on the England / France isutation. Hopefully they will be at war and I can choose whether to stab france n the back or to swing east towards Russia.

Worst case scenario : folk think "he's played a lot before, better take him out now". Not a lot I can do about that except hope - and point out that other people will benefit more than they will. Appeal to their self interest ;) Any one player can be taken out by an alliance or 2 or 3 others.

ERIKK
03-04-2004, 10:19
He he, you should have kept quiet about 'you playing the game with the best etc etc." [evil]

Anyway, you should not underestimate Stapel and Beam, both are (board-)games fanatics.

col
04-04-2004, 20:16
I dont underestimate them at all - I see them as my main rivals in this game. They are both aggressive and play to win.

col
22-04-2004, 10:20
One of the best feelings in Diplo is when you get the results of the moves and just about everything went the way you wanted it to.

Beam is in trouble already. Turkey has stabbed him and I can keep him out of Sweden. Its possible he wont get any builds which usually spells disaster. Austria has accepted the wisdom of an alliance - I think I can make him a puppet where he gets a few gains then I stab him at the right moment.

France has attacked Italy which must be good for me. I'd like those two to get involved while I sympathise on the sidelines.

Both France and England need my help to capture Belgium. I'm inclined to prop up France since England gains more than me.

I have Denmark and can guarentee to get Holland. The main danger is that I'm seen to be doing too well too soon and attract a coalition against me....

Skyfish
22-04-2004, 11:44
Brilliant spoiler col !
Sorry I missed it in the first weeks of April :(
Diplomacy is all about psychology and you have a good picture of each player even though you have not met them
before like they did each other ;)

ERIKK
22-04-2004, 12:00
Hehe, your situation indeed looks good with the ruskies and frenchies minding their own
business. This is a bit of a luxury! I am sure your opponents will figure this out; if
they are able to form a mutual front I am not sure though...

col
22-04-2004, 15:08
Well we have had one turn of the game and things are going well. [Lol]
This situation can chnage rapidly though.

My immediate decision is whether to allow Beam to sink by keeping him out of Sweden or to allow him to get a build so he can defend himself in the south. It is a small consideration that I promised to let him in Sweden. It will be a long time before he can think of mounting any operations in the north. He needs to make good guesses to defend his holding in the south. I'm inclined to prop him up a little. Keeps my rep with him intact and makes it harder for Bas to make big gains. I want Russia weak but not too weak! I figure I can always take Sweden later when Beam is fightng the Turks.

Similar considerations apply in the west. I want England and France at each others throats so they are both weakened but I dont want either of them to gain too much. I guess I fear Anarres more as a game player so I'd like him weak - but Krys is a loose cannon and cant be relied upon to see what is in his own interests. He would stab me for the fun of it or because his paranoia got the better of him. I can choose who gets Belgium next turn. Wait to see who offers what.

Obviously I choose me to occupy Belgium in the longer term. I can take it later when I have established my base in Holland. First and foremost I want a fleet in the North Sea - that will guide my strategy in the west. I need to embroil Anarres either with France - or more tempting for his style suggest that he has an opportunity to make gains in the north from Beam.

France has moved against Italy and I'm happy to encourage that - as long as he doesnt actuallly make any substantial gains. Italy has some tough choices too which is good.

Austria followed my suggested moves and is in a sound position. I'll suggest some more good ones until I want to stab him. Nothing like building up a little trust - it makes the stab all the more unextected and enjoyable [evil]

col
25-04-2004, 21:13
Well France moved to Bel and Anar (Eng ) let him. I can figure out what Anar is doing. He's managed to move an army to the place he needed to build a fleet in. Looks like his Civ skills are rather better than his diplo skills.

After long discussions with Krys (France), he has built fleets in Brest and mars and left Paris empty. Looks like I managed to convince him that 3 builds would make him too much of a target. Of course now he is an even more tempting target and Anar and I must dismantle him as quickly as possible.

Beam has quit as Russia and Toasty has taken over. Meli has just disappeared and Italy stands in civil disorder ripe for plucking.

I'm very happy with my position and plan to go on the offensive against France as I would have done last move if Anar had got his arse into gear.

col
12-05-2004, 23:41
Yup - France has lowered his trousers and bent over. He's about to be Foched. He has built fleets everywhere in preparation for ahem our invasion of England. He has little defense against my armies and I should be able to execute a textbook schlieffen plan. I've now taken belgium and will son be moving on Paris.

My only concern now is that Toasty gets frisky looking west. I think I'm gonna be strong enough to frighten him off but Krys is sure to be screaming for allies.

Position is looking good.

Pastorius
13-05-2004, 10:40
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Paalikles/2004513104027_burns.jpg
5.28KB
-Eexcellent

col
30-05-2004, 18:17
Well last round was a complete cockup.

I could have taken Paris.

I should have taken marseilles.

I lost an army.

I had a look at the position earlier in the week and decided that I could be certain of getting Marseilles where Paris might be defended. I realised that I would need to move the army in Gascony in because Krys would be sure to cut any support from there. I'd therefore need to support from Bur.

So what do I do?

I'm off work for three days ill - caught flu from my wife who'd been off all week.
I post my moves in ten minutes before the deadline.
I get the attack and support the wrong way round.

Consequently Gas has nowhere to go and Bur doesnt get in.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr.

I can rebuild the army in due course but it will take me several turns to get it back there. meanwhile Toasty is still heading west.

Bollocks.

ERIKK
30-05-2004, 19:01
Better luck next time. Your position is still very strong. When looking at the map I see much possibilities.