PDA

View Full Version : No more new PBEM's for me, ever. (though...)

Matrix
15-03-2004, 22:22
With just one other human player it goesn't go fast enough to make it interesting, and if it goes relatively fast, like in powersessions, it can become an annoying obligation.
With more than one player it always goes too slow and one consistently has to ask http://www.straland.com/junk/whereisthesave.gif
Like: DDPP, Digger's 8-player, both Tiny Chaoses, and both Deathmatches.

And I now play online, simultaneous moves, with Rodney Sandy, regularly. That is way cool! [yeah] It would even be best if we'd play with three of more people. (We both have been talking about this, by the way.) I prefer it much more to agree to play on a regular basis, for an hour or two. Than a continuous, long, period. The only trick is to place playing Civ3 on your agenda, which is of course unusual. [blink]

Anyway, just like to let you know.

I still enjoy the games I'm in now. DDPP because it is legendary [mischief], Tiny Chaos 2 because it is small, tence, and probably won't take a long time. Yet both these games are on a hold again. [crazyeye] And Shabbaman's game, because first of all he plays exactly on the speed I like, and secondly I know him personally. ;) Or at least a bit.

ProPain
15-03-2004, 22:34
Was just talking to Markstar about the TC2 save. He send it too digger friday. Did you get it? At least I didnt receive anything after friday.

Markstar
15-03-2004, 22:56
Hehe, funny that you mention that. I came to the same conclusion that playing simultaneous moves is way more effective. Just to think about all the wasted time hanging around a computer waiting for the player to send you the next turn. Imagine how many turns one could get done in 4 hours of simultaneous playing compared to 4 hours of PBEM.

The best thing of course would be to play on a PBEM basis and then be able to switch back and forth to simultaneous (like in Alpha Centauri).

But you can be sure that I'll ask for a simultaneous game as soon as C3C 1.20 is out. ;)

Matrix
15-03-2004, 23:31
quote:Originally posted by Markstar

The best thing of course would be to play on a PBEM basis and then be able to switch back and forth to simultaneous (like in Alpha Centauri).
You can do that with Conquests! [^]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1543

Markstar
16-03-2004, 00:08
Mmh, and you can go back to PBEM after you played simultaneous for a while? Does it really keep all the passwords?
I mean, thinking about it, it CANNOT be very hard to program, but the guys from Firaxis were able to surprise me with that before.

Mmh, maybe I'll have the time to try it out next weekend. But this would certainly help to save A LOT of time. [goodjob]

Hopefully I'll find some ppl to play with as well. [???]

...and regarding our conversation about studying etc, I guess it would also be much better this way. [mischief]

Shabbaman
16-03-2004, 08:34
I hardly ever play computer games for over an hour, I just don't have the time for it. To keep playing civ, pbems are great. And they take very little time, so I can always manage to play "that one turn". If I'd be playing a full hour here, people would start wondering if I'd actually still do some WORK.
Aside from my first pbem, which died after turn 2, I never had any problems (aside from losing all the time). I don't have broadband at home, so sim. turns isn't really an option for me. I expect adsl in a couple of months though, and I'd be happy to play sim. turns v.s. anyone :)

digger760
16-03-2004, 09:01
I'd be interested in some online action....I only have dial up but i don think that is big problem..i might drop out everynow and then, but i dont hink connection speed is to much of an issue.

The only time i would be availible however is 1800-1900 GMT Thursday nights.

Col.Tarleton
16-03-2004, 17:23
I am currently playing similtaneous moves 1 to 1 with Matrix and Propain.Both Matrix and I would like to rope in a 3rd player to see how that goes.
We play using MSN audio (no typing necessary)but for a 3rd player it is necessary to use Paltalk as then we can create a room for audio purposes.
I believe that broadband is a must plus an half tidy computer plus MSN audio for 2 players or paltalk for 3 or more.
The real problem with 3 players is getting everyone to turn up at the same time with a couple of hours to spare so reliability is high on the agenda.
Anyone who would like to try this type of game,drop me an email and we'll set up paltalk.com.

digger760
24-03-2004, 18:01
quote:Originally posted by Col.Tarleton
We play using MSN audio (no typing necessary)but for a 3rd player it is necessary to use Paltalk as then we can create a room for audio purposes.

How good is MSN audio over a broad band connection..i once tried using speakfreely over dial up and it was kinda like talking to somebody on a CB radio..you had to say "over" and "rodger that" because of the delay involved.

digger760

Matrix
25-03-2004, 23:52
We experience absolutely no delay. But when I did this with ProPain there was a delay. But the quality is very good. I also noticed the quality automatically decreases once the connection isn't fast enough.

Col.Tarleton
26-03-2004, 10:36
I've had no problems with it,it's as if the other person is sitting next to one on another computer.Matrix and Propain are as clear as a bell,I've also spoken to people in the States and Australia.They were on dial -up so it wasn't quite as good.

Matrix
29-03-2004, 13:09
You know, now that PBEM and simultaneous is switchable it's actually stupid to rule out PBEM's. And I'd still love to play and finish my game with Shabbaman along with the others, so perhaps I shouldn't have been too final in my statements. [blush2]

Pastorius
29-03-2004, 21:27
So this is the start of a new cdz-trend, is it ? With Aggie ending all his games, and you too....

Oh well - I quit all my games too

err...no - then Killer would bceome mda adn kill me ;)

Well - would be cool to actually play a whole game over the internet, and not only via mail tho...if only I knew someone willing to play....