hi

here is my start position in this match

Obviously this thread is for everyone unless Markstar

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/2004315221457_AvsM-img0.jpg
15.84KB

Arghis
15-03-2004, 23:34
here is the situation in 2030

i have some prob to develop, perhaps because i've choosen to build a granary. i hope it won't put me in late.
And the Hittites is already putting his steps in my garden ... pff, damn cheating IA [estwing]

Also, barbs atatck me in the north forest, and i've seen nothing (in game). As if the battle was resolved between two turns. Is this particular to PBEM ?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200431522315_AvsM-img1.jpg
54.84KB

Socrates
16-03-2004, 00:58
Continuing my commentary... :)

Yes, AI attacking (and also from the other player) won't be able to be seen. :( Better wait for Civ4 for that one...

You chose to build a granary in your capital, which is sometimes a good move. In this situation, I can't see much food bonus, and so I'm not sure of the best move. But anyway, you didn't improve the bonus tiles to get advantage of them !! [eek] Again, the irrigation is useless under despotism on the sugar plains (so mine this tile), and you could chop the game forest, and then irrigate it, so as to gain +1 food per turn.

You'd better rush to the river with cows in the east, otherwise the Hittites will steal that from you. And don't mind the barbs. I don't know the level of the game, but you shouldn't worry much about them. Let them coming and dying at your gates, while you're using your production to settle more.

Arghis
16-03-2004, 01:40
irrigating the rice was a mistake yes. i've realized all this mismatch of mine with irrigation by seeing the Hittites wheat flood plain amongst other reasons ... and for the cows, yes, you're right. i'm hesitating building a town on hittites borderline to grab the three wines before he take them. he take a horse, but i have one in my capital (what a surprize it was.

why building a granary if you don't have food tile bonus would be a bad move ? it is a delay, indeed, but it compensate in my view, the lack of food bonus.

Arghis
16-03-2004, 01:50
what do you think of monarchy ?

also, just on the east of the north cow, there is another dyes ressources. and i won't mine the sugar tile as it is already improved, it would be another loss of time. just i won't do it again next time

Aggie
16-03-2004, 08:52
The monarchy government is OK for a game in which you are at war all the time with the same civs. If you make peace with civs after a while you won't have a lot of trouble with the war weariness (which you don't have under monarchy but do have under Republic).

I would always go for Repbulic otherwise. Even Democracy is hardly better and almost only for the faster worker production.

You can build a town close to the Hittites, but then you need to be sure to rush a library (your cheapest culture building) to prevent a culture flip. Building very close to the AI (less than 3 tiles) makes them angry afaik, so be aware that they will be more aggresive then.

Arghis
18-03-2004, 11:28
well, definitly, i've missed my start. Hittites has already threaten me (20 gold tribute).
Now that i have a granary, settler production is good. But my military is weak. I choose to go for a temple in the south, to grab one wine and keep quiet one promising town.
To the west, i've settled on coast near 2 fish. To the west i ahve 2 cows and one dye waiting for workers ...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/2004318102443_AvsM-img2.jpg
57.11KB

Arghis
05-04-2004, 21:14
I'm rather proud of this achievment.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200445201352_germany-trade-market.jpg
5.19KB

Arghis
05-04-2004, 21:29
Hi all

turn is 280 AD

Maya have made a serious war to Hittites, some centuries ago. Japanese is lurking on my coast, but galley barbs (survivors of an old time) should take care of him. If not, he will have clear the way for me.

I've been going for Monarchy and still keep it. I was expecting some war with Hittites, and Maya, but finally they do not approach me.
More, i want to see what it does to play with monarchy. Obviously it's not as interesting than Republic, but a game is also for having fun (those who forgot this should meditate at it)

more later

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200445202550_germany.jpg
98.72KB

Arghis
05-04-2004, 21:36
After discovering Monarchy, i've run for Library and Great Library.

Libraries allows my empire to expand without having to start a war i couldn't have stand (Mayan quickly develop Swordsmem it seems)

As Great Library has been achieved, my research is now at 0% (not shown on screenshot). All my money is put in buildings, to stabilize my situation (temple or library, harbors, and settlers)

more to come

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200445203245_germany-zoom1.jpg
44.47KB

Arghis
05-04-2004, 22:02
i've sign a Right of passage Agreement with Hittites. Also, i've built an embassy in his capital. This one is now always polite with me.

Culturally speaking, i stole him 2 horses and 2 wine. The only stupid thing is i still have no raods to his capital, so i can't trade with Hittites.

Now, Hittites is travelling in my country, which implies he could sell sometime my territory map to the mayan for instance. And situation with the Maya is a bit more tricker

Arghis, King of iron drunk horses (yes it's a bit ridiculous, but that's how i've seen some of my unhappy subjects calling me in a strange kind of Drama i read in a Great room full of librairans near my palace).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200445205753_germany-zoom2.jpg
55.36*KB

Arghis
05-04-2004, 22:19
Mayan has built a city (above Hittites ruins) just 2 turns before me, just near the central mountain. In the hills there is iron, and in the desert there is incense.
Thanx to flood plain, my city of Bremen is not so bad.

One of the problem with Maya, his that he has built the great wall. This added to a good army, is rather embarrassing. Military advisor tell me that we're average against Maya, and diplomatic relation says that we have an army roughly of the same size. Histograph chart of power indicates me that i'm more powerful than Maya (1.5 to one i think)
If there is a war, i hope that Hittites will join my side. It seems logical.

Mayan Iron is in the far south of this continent, sout west of silks

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200445211227_germany-zoom3.jpg
60.25KB

Arghis
05-04-2004, 22:37
Japanese (aka Markstar) has just killed Sumerian. Jap has Ancient cav and is building Crusaders Wonder. He is leading the game since a good time, under Republic. He also have Temple of Artemis and Mausolleum.

Aggie
05-04-2004, 22:41
Good job on the Great Library [goodjob]. I would have choosen Republic as well though. It's in almost all cases better than Monarchy.

Darkness
06-04-2004, 09:21
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

Good job on the Great Library [goodjob]. I would have choosen Republic as well though. It's in almost all cases better than Monarchy.

I'm not too sure about that anymore. The 2gpt maintenance for being over the free unit cap in republic kills larger empires, simply due to the amount of workers you need to improve your lands (on huge maps, I mean)....

Sure I still choose Republic if I have the chance, but it's not a no-brainer for me anymore...

anarres
06-04-2004, 10:44
Well, that's what aqueducts are for! Cities give 3 support at size 7, and in Republic I often have NO army costs at all. :)

BTW, this is another great plug for Agri - with half price aqueducts it really isn't hard to get even mostly corrupt cities to size 7...

Arghis
20-04-2004, 01:42
Well, this game has ended and i've lost.

first i should have never run for Monarchy and not start a war (with Hittites). Don't know why, i was in the mood for Peace.
next, as i've said with Markstarr, i was hoping for a long game, so i do not worry about Japanese at start. that's also why i choose German.
After, nearly all my trades attempt with IA was not interesting. I had many alliances with my neighbors, but of course, it was essentially for fun (Markstarr was already far ahead).
At the end of the game, i build Crusaders GW, but it was too late. At least one crusader had a fight agaisnt Samurais.
At my beginning, i had horses immediatly, so chariot help me strenghten a bit. After building the GL, all my money was going in imprving my army and rushing some building.
Anyway, i've made many mistakes in this game (building library instead of barracks, ...) and agaisnt the style of play of my adversary (quick and sharp), this was the last thing to do.

anarres
20-04-2004, 01:50
Markstar is storming the forum atm, he seems unstoppable...

Better luck in your next game Arghis! :)

Arghis
20-04-2004, 01:54
Here's a shot before my capital was seized by japanese. We end the game just after.

i tried to fortify my territory, so that the task could be a bit more difficult, but with no real effect.

My alliances were also not useful. Perhaps it distract him a bit, but i'm even not sure of that. Well, i was not really hoping teh IA doing a miracle.

Anyway, this game was interesting, and i learn from it.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Arghis/200442005135_AvsM-img3.jpg
73.42KB