PDA

View Full Version : Presentation of the game and rules

Socrates
14-03-2004, 00:33
Here I'm gonna write a short presentation of the game, for those who really don't know what's so special about it, or who haven't heard of it.

DIPLOMACY

Diplomacy is a board game that involves strategy, tactics (not too much), intelligence... and diplomacy skills ! This is THE game where human relationships are so intense, so much that you should disconnect from your real personnality while playing, otherwise you'll end up hating your friends (I mean it !). Of course there are different levels of addiction, but once ingame the addiction can be pretty intense.

The game is played with 2 types of units, land and naval units (far less than Civ3), on an historical map of pre-WWI Europe. The map consists of many territories, either land and sea territories, and each one of them can be occupied by a maximum of one unit at a time. Some of the land territories contain a "center" (or city), which is related to the number of units on the map : each player basically owns as many units as centers. The other territories don't have a center, and so can't be used for gaining units.

The game can be played with from 2 players (very boring and uninteresting as for "diplomacy" of course) up to 7 players. This is the maximum because there are 7 great nations involved in the game, which are : France, Great Britain, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Russia, Italy and Turkey. Each nation starts with its 3 national centers (4 for Russia), and will try to gain more units by controlling other centers. Other than those national centers, there are 12 "neutral" centers waiting to be conquered (like the Netherlands :D ).

The game is played through turns ; turns are coupled in groups of 2, springs and autumns. Adjustment of units is only made after the autumn (end of year). Each turn is processed like this :
- people talk : this is the diplomatic round, the essence of the game, everyone can talk with whoever he wants, about what he wants, and make every kind of agreement with anyone, be it for real or for fake ;
- players write their orders secretly : this requires clean writing ;
- orders are "solved" on the map : the fun part is that all movements, attacks, confirmation of alliances or break of treaties (someone said "backstab" ? :D ) are discovered altogether in a general round of solving ;
- defeated units are "solved", and players adjust their units (end of year only).

What is so special about Diplomacy is that it is all about trusting and backstabbing. No randomness at all, period. The game is played through turns, but on each turn all players make their moves simultaneously. Here is a basic list of "moves" for units :
- stay ;
- move (to an adjacent territory) ;
- defensive supply ;
- offensive supply ;
- ship ferrying (for naval units only).
From this list (I hope I didn't forget one there) comes all the mess of the orders solving round ! It leads to some complicated situations, but rules were set up so that every set of orders have one and only solution.

In fact, the only way to "win" a battle is to come with a numerous advantage on the battlefield. If a enemy unit stands on a territory that you want to take, you'll have to get 2 units attacking the territory, but you'll have to decide which unit "attacks" (moves) and which unit "supplies" (on offense). The defending unit will have to retreat in case of a "2v1". But if a 2nd enemy unit supplies the 1st (on defense), then the situation is a "2v2" and so it's stalled. You'll then need a 3rd attacking unit etc... When you attack a supplying unit (on defense or offense), this unit sees its supply order cut off ; this is a common way of gaining a numerous advantage. Of course, what makes all of this interesting is that the supply can come from your units or other players' units... And there comes the backstabbing... or the n-th turn of solid alliance.

Even though rules are rather simple, situations are sometimes complicated and so I won't describe them all here. You already have here a basic illustration of what happens in the game. Units each have one order per turn, and can move to an adjacent territory only (except for ferried units). This makes the map look like a map where generals discuss about what's really happening on the battlefield, moving wooden units, or maybe just making plans. Quite nice actually...

Ususally, the goal is to control 18 out of the 34 centers (IIRC) at the end of a year. Don't be fooled, it's hard to achieve this in a 7-player game, and in fact many games stop before it's done (some situations can be somewhat "locked"), and so the winner would be the player who controls the most centers.

Well, enough for this short presentation. I hope I'll convince some more players to play, other than those who already know the game and wish to give it another go here. All the rules can be found on the Net, I believe. We'll search nice places to point people to someday.

Now you can use this thread to ask questions about the game, but as a newbie only. If you know the game quite well, please ask questions in the general topic.

Socrates
14-03-2004, 13:07
This link is a .pdf file of the complete set of rules, apparently revised in 2000. I have had the game for longer than that, but I doubt there are many changes. However, I'll read it fully, and I invite you to do so as well. Then we could agree to use this very file for rules reference. We would have to search if it is completely compatible with whatever Internet programs we may use (if we do).

Here is the link, coming from an official site, I believe :
http://www.avalonhill.com/rules/diplomacy.pdf

col
14-03-2004, 13:11
I first played face to face and postal Diplo er 30 years ago! Played with some of the big names of the game including Richard Sharp.

Its the definitive strategy game. No RNGs at all. Everything is open. Except your opponents intentions. You cant win without making allies. You cant win without betraying them. Lovely jubbly.

Socrates
14-03-2004, 20:29
Waoh, talk about addiction !!! :D

Well, as for the rules, I read the whole pdf file and found them OK, so, unless someone EXPLICITELY says he doesn't like this or that, we will use them and refer to them in any case of disagreement.

If there is a situation that you think you don't understand, please post it here, and I'll try to answer as soon as possible.

This topic is for newbies and for asking specific questions about this or that rule.

Socrates
04-04-2004, 20:58
After some chatting with Beam, I want to clarify things a little : the pdf file that you can find in this topic will be used for all the rules, I checked the most complex and obscure ones. Realpolitik reacts differently for one complex situation (it goes like in the brackets that you can find on the lower left of page 15). So use Realpolitik at your own risk !

Also people can either choose to write their orders in formatted text or not. Abbreviations found in the pdf file will be used, but every letter must be in capital ! Also if you want your orders to be in formatted text, then you must clearly explicit it each time you send orders, otherwise they will be subject to my interpretation. There will be no chance for anyone if orders are written in Diplo-style, which I'm going to develop in the next post. If orders aren't written in Diplo-style, then they must be clear enough for no contestation at all from anybody.

Socrates
04-04-2004, 21:39
Explanation of "formatted text" or "Diplo-style" for orders.

- Each orders concerns one unit, either an army or a fleet : you must say it anytime by either writing an "A" or an "F".

- Each region must be coded in a 3-letter abbreviation, whose list you can find in the pdf file (north and south coast is mandatory anytime for fleet).

- Orders are either movement orders, retreat orders or adjustment orders.

- Each movement/retreat order is written like this : A/F CurrentRegion Action.

- Each adjustment order is written like this : +/- A/F BuildRegion/CurrentRegion.

- List of movement actions :
"goes to" : "-"
"holds" : "H"
"supports" : "S"
"convoys" : "C"

- List of retreat actions :
"retreats to" : "r"
"is dispersed" : "d"

Examples :

1. "The army in Paris holds." : A PAR H
2. "The army in Paris goes to Burgundy." : A PAR - BUR
3. "The army in Paris supports the fleet in Brest (which isn't ordered to move)." : A PAR S F BRE
4. "The army in Paris supports the fleet in the English Channel to Picardy." : A PAR S F ENG - PIC
5. "The army in Marseilles goes to Spain." : A MAR - SPA
6. "The fleet in the Mid-Atlantic Ocean goes to Spain north coast." : F MID - SPAnc
7. "The army in Spain goes to Tunis (supposes a convoy)." : A SPA - TUN
8. "The fleet in the Western Mediterranean convoys the army in Spain to Tunis." : F WES C A SPA - TUN
9. "The army in Munich (which is dislodged) retreats to Tyrolia." : A MUN r TYR
10. "The fleet in the North Sea is dispersed." : F NTH d
11. "Gain an army in Rome." : + A ROM
12. "Gain a fleet in Saint Petersburg south coast." : + F STPsc
13. "Lose a fleet in Norway." : - F NWY

Now, how to read the results :

successful attack : "="
failing attack : ":"

successful hold : "H"
failing hold : "h"

uncutted support : "S"
cutted support : "s"

uncutted convoy : "C"
cutted convoy : "c"

retreat : "(r ...)"

dispersion : "(d)"

annihilation : "(a)"

impossible or imprecise order : "(i)"

forgotten unit : "(f)"

invalid support or convoy : "(v)"

Any comment on this or that welcome. :)

Beam
05-04-2004, 00:53
[thumbsup]

We discussed a couple of thinks that are or might become confusing, we also have 2 weeks before col comes back with a broken leg and a horrible teint. Let's use that time to get confusing matters clarified.

Socrates
05-04-2004, 23:07
Here is (at last) the pic I took a few weeks ago, while we were starting this forum.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/kryszcztov/20044523640_French game board - resized.JPG
94.16KB

Beam
05-04-2004, 23:40
That's a cool map Krys!

Grille
05-04-2005, 00:12
The last reply is one year old, so definately time to bump this!:)

quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

http://www.avalonhill.com/rules/diplomacy.pdf

The link doesn't work anymore.:(
The "4th edition" rule-set as in here...
http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/diplomacy_rules.htm
... is the correct one?

Socrates
05-04-2005, 00:20
All you need to know can be found in the sticky thread. At the bottom of which you'll find the very link you provided here. :)

I see I have some work to do before starting 2 more games. This is a must-do for newbies, so I'll do it.

grs
05-04-2005, 00:24
Yes, these are the correct ones. You should get them and Realpolitik, which is a diplomacy move emulator for PC http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/

Grille
05-04-2005, 00:25
Cool! Will check it.