PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 27 March: Board- & LAN-game in The Hague

Stapel
02-03-2004, 11:28
The final solution is so easy...

On saturday 27 march at noon, we will lift off.

I will see that there is a working LAN for 4 persons. The rest can play boardgames. I will also take care for dinner. I cannot provide sleeping spots for all.

So: Will you come?

ERIKK
02-03-2004, 11:49
Sure, but I guess I will need a sleeping spot...

Aggie
02-03-2004, 11:55
Sounds good to me!

Shabbaman
02-03-2004, 14:39
What is the current "sleeping spot plan"?

Skyfish
02-03-2004, 15:08
Hey who needs sleep anyway ? bunch of wussies...

Stapel
02-03-2004, 15:13
The current plan is that all that are connected to The Hague by the "nachtnet", will not stay overnight, but go home and take some guests with them as well. The rest will stay at my place.

The feasibility of this "sleeping spot plan" depends on the number of people that will come.

Matrix
02-03-2004, 15:51
Stapel, so you have four computers that run C3C?! [hmm] Who exactly wants to play Civ3? (I would in any case. :))

And I'd like to stay to sleep, Stapel. :)

Beam
02-03-2004, 16:02
I can take my notebook (700 MHz) if you run short in PC's. Can take a 4 port switch as well.

On sleeping: I most likely stay with friends in the Hague and will go sailing sunday, so have to leave mid Sat. evening.

smalltalk
02-03-2004, 20:43
Somebody could please provide some map & guide information about where to go?

Like State, City, Street, HouseNr?

Stapel
02-03-2004, 20:53
The Hague (Den Haag) is in the provence Zuid (South) Holland.....

Aggie
02-03-2004, 20:58
I have 3 sleeping spots in Amsterdam, but that is 45 minutes away.

smalltalk
02-03-2004, 21:47
(I'm able to drive securely in about any state of my mind.)

Matrix
02-03-2004, 21:56
I hope that doesn't mean you think you can drive savely when having had a drink. [hmm]

Anyway, it would indeed be easy if you'd tell us your address, Stapel. The Hague is a big...town. [rolleyes]

Skyfish
02-03-2004, 22:00
Well he is not gone tell us here is he ! [crazyeye]
We still have tons of time, no panic man [stoned]

Melifluous
03-03-2004, 10:06
I sadly will now, not be coming at all :(

My wife's auntie is now in the final stages of terminal cancer and I must be here on hand to look after my son if my wife has to suddenly travel to Manchester.

very very sorry all.

Would have loved to come over again and see all you guys.

Apologies again, mais c'est la vie.

Melifluous

Matrix
03-03-2004, 10:10
No apologies necessary, Mel. I don't think there's a more valid excuse than this.
Good luck with the situation!

Stapel
03-03-2004, 10:24
I will not post my address on the internet. Automatically search stuff can do nasty things.

Don't worry, I will post a route description. Might as well do it now:

The VVD method:
-Take A12 to The Hague
-Take exit 4; Voorburg / Binckhorst
-At the end of the exit, go left (cross the A12 beneath) at the traffic lights.
-You enter Den Haag now and are on the 'Maanweg'
-The Maanweg will make a 90 degree turn to right, simply follow the road, it is now called 'Binckhorstlaan'
-After yuo have passed a McDonald's restaurant, you will go beneath two railway viaducts.
-Take the first turn to the left (at traffic lights) after these viaducts
-Take the first turn to the right
-You are now on a 'semi-triangular square', where you can park your vehicle
-On this square there is a pub called 'Imperium'
-I live above the pub

The PvdA method:
I live right between CS & HS. Both are a 7 minute walk.

CS:
-Leave the station at the side of the VROM ministery.
-Walk through the 'tunnel' of this ministery
-At the end of the tunnel, after the Rabobank ATM, go left.
-Keep on walking straight on, until you are at the semi-triangular square, and follow instructions from above

HS:
-Leave the station at the city-centre side.
-Go to the right, towards the 'Rijswijkseplein'
-Cross the Rijswijkseplein and continue your way on the left side of the Weteringkade
-Walk on, until you see a semi-triangular square on your left hand, and follow instructions from above

Stapel
03-03-2004, 10:48
The dark blue arrow is my frontdoor
Red arrow 1 is the VVD method
Red arrow 2 is the CS method
Red arrow 3 is the HS method
Light blue is pedestrian stuff
Light green are tram railways

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Stapel/200433104745_Stapel.gif
8.57KB

ERIKK
03-03-2004, 10:55
I assume you will mail us the 'exact adress' + telephone number..

(Nice arrows! But no match compared to the PP luxury arrows!) ;)

Aggie
03-03-2004, 10:59
Meli, it is a shame that you can't come. But we simply can't control everything in life and this obviously is more important.

Beam
03-03-2004, 10:59
Withing walking distance to the Haringkoning :D Mjammie!

Stapel
03-03-2004, 11:00
I will do so Erikk!

Stapel
03-03-2004, 11:07
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Withing walking distance to the Haringkoning :D Mjammie!

Those who will take the HS method, will pass it. They will also pass the Geleenstraat[:X] [:p] .

Beam
03-03-2004, 11:47
If I am not mistaken Stapels front door is located at the arrowtip.

For those who are interested, arrows to the two tourist attractions can be added as well ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20043311475_steepel.jpg
59.54KB

Matrix
03-03-2004, 12:09
quote:Originally posted by Stapel

I will not post my address on the internet. Automatically search stuff can do nasty things.
Bullshit. What would they want to do with it? What could they do with it?

But your routedescription is very clear. (Though where is the CDA method? [eek]) With "café Imperium" I'll know enough. ;)

ProPain
03-03-2004, 12:14
Obviously I'll be using the VVD method.

And then maybe a short detour on foot to the haringkoning.

Stapel
03-03-2004, 13:20
Beam,

That is indeed where my front door is located. The upper left point of the green triangle points at the Haring Koning. The geleenstraat is the greyish/greenish street 1cm north of it.

My blue baby is parked right south east of the H of Schelde------straat.

Matrix,
I just feel uncomfortable with it, I guess.

The CDA method would be:
Create a committee that will evaluate the 3 options. People that favour all option should be represented. Another committee will see to it, that this happens.

Eventually, this committee will come with a 'polder' solution: Go to Utrecht by car, and take a train from there. After that, it will become clear that one of the members of the checking committee has bribed someone in the first committee with a visit to the Geleenstraat.
Yet another committee will be created to sort it all out in the end.

The D66 method would be:
None of the options get enough votes, so we won't come.

About Green-theft and the Jan Marijnissen Stalinist party:
I have managed succesfully to block all the ways to my house for them ;)

Ultra lefties that want to visit the LAN/boardgame fest, can bribe me by a small present from 'De Haring Koning'.

Shabbaman
03-03-2004, 14:00
The transferium would be the D66 method. Park your car in the middle of nowhere and then take the train. When you return, your car is stolen.

Skyfish
03-03-2004, 14:41
Me and anarres will have to come with ample bribes then [rolleyes]
...and with the PVDA method of course :)

Shabbaman
03-03-2004, 14:57
Well, I'm sure I'll be there, but I don't know exactly when. I guess there has to be some "priority shifting" done, and I guess a sleeping spot would be nice in order to maximize the possibilities. This could be in combination with the pvda-method, or the vvd-method in combination with the Blauwe Knoop function for shabbaman.

Stapel
03-03-2004, 15:00
It appears that sleeping spots are no problem the way things look now.

??Blauwe Knoop??

Beam
03-03-2004, 15:00
There is also a feudalist method:

A noble person has a car. He splits it in pieces and give those to his subordinates, who split the pieces further to give them to their subordinates. Every body has to pay a percentage of his production to his superior. Eventually everybody has to walk.

@Stapel, the parking place of your toy is suspiciously close to the Geleenstraat [scratch]

Shabbaman
03-03-2004, 15:05
Blauwe Knoop, that means: no alcohol consumption ;) Drunk driving at night is not my sport.

Stapel
03-03-2004, 15:18
Beam: It is IN the Geleenstraat (the parking garage).

Shabba: The VVD method can be combined with a sleeping spot too.

Blauwe Knoop.... Completely new to me.

Shabbaman
03-03-2004, 15:20
Heh...

You learn something new every day.

Matrix
03-03-2004, 18:54
Shabba, if you go by car, can I go with you? :)

The CDA method would be:
[lol] [goodjob]

Though CDA'ers would be the last of the Dutch politicians to go to the Geleenstraat (for another purpose than parking). [rolleyes]

ERIKK
03-03-2004, 20:04
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Though CDA'ers would be the last of the Dutch politicians to go to the Geleenstraat (for another purpose than parking). [rolleyes]
Ehhh... How do you know that? [???]

Aggie
03-03-2004, 20:07
A CDA'er would SAY not to go to the Geleenstraat but would do it secretly.

Matrix
03-03-2004, 23:15
An Oudkerk-case is highly unlikely for a CDA politician. And if it happens I don't think the grassroots supporters would still trust him to act according to the christian standards & values. ;)

But let's not spam this thread anymore. [mischief]

Shabbaman
04-03-2004, 10:07

Why not?[shabba]

btw, I think matrix is a bit biased about CDA politicians, since his brother is one.

Sure, you could get a ride, but since I'll take a little "detour" on the way to the hague, it'd only be on the way home.

anarres
04-03-2004, 10:25
Sky has offered to show me the sights of a'dam on friday, but he can't offer me a place to stay.

I desperately need a spot to sleep on for Friday and Saturday night. If anyone can offer please let me know, hotels are looking *very* expensive.

When I finalise my plans I will book my flights.

Beam
04-03-2004, 10:37
No prob for Friday night anar, I live 60 miles from A'dam however so if you're staying my place some traveling is involved. Thinking out loud I could join you and Sky in A'dam and drive back by car.

If you plan to fly Ryanair you'll most likely land in Eindhoven, an easy spot for me to pick you up.

Faires for 26-3:
- 06:45 Stansted - Eindhoven: GBP 7.99
- 17:15 Stansted - Eindhoven: GBP 39.99

32 quit to save for early raisers ;)

Stapel
04-03-2004, 11:10
Anarres,

Just book the flights right away, before they get expensive. Sleeping spots are not really a problem.

Stapel
04-03-2004, 12:06

An Oudkerk-case is highly unlikely for a CDA politician. And if it happens I don't think the grassroots supporters would still trust him to act according to the christian standards & values. ;)

We will Matrix! We have CFC for non-spam-related stuff ;)

An Oudkerk case has happened before in our beautiful polder country and guess what? Two CDA politicians were involved.

Especially CDA-ers are good in preaching A, but doing B. In fact, it is a CDA invention.

Visiting prostitutes is not so much related to standards & values. It is rather naive to think so. It is related to not getting what you want at home.

Here follows pure speculation:

Maybe the average CDA-er is a married to a dull wife :) ?

Aggie
04-03-2004, 12:13
anarres: I have a spot in Amsterdam as well. So you have the choice :)

anarres
04-03-2004, 15:06
I just booked my flights! :D

Friday 26th:
Stanstead (6.45AM) -> Eindhoven (8.45AM)

Mon 29th:
Eindhoven (9.10AM) -> Stanstead (9.10AM)

Only £54.12 :)

ProPain
04-03-2004, 16:06
Landing in Eindhoven and immediately leaving for A'dam. Sacrilege imo. Missing an opportunity to enjoy the great Brabant nightlife.

Beam
04-03-2004, 19:05
Don't worry PP, I will make sure anar will see a little more of Holland than just the Anne Frank huis, tulips, wooden shoes, coffeeshops, walletjes, Rijksmuseum etc. Actually I was thinking of the Efteling :)

Stapel
04-03-2004, 21:57
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Actually I was thinking of the Efteling :)

Uhhmmmm, That would seriously make me consider taking the friday off as well!

ProPain
06-03-2004, 17:42
Efteling, great! I might join you too!

Lt. Killer M
06-03-2004, 18:15
grrr, I will be moving to my new flat then... :(

Shabbaman
06-03-2004, 21:08
We could hop over and help ;)

Lt. Killer M
06-03-2004, 21:13
shabba, better hop here NOW and help my prepare, then I may be able to come ;) and [estwing] you all in LAN [:P]

Shabbaman
06-03-2004, 21:19
NOW? Sorry, I would but I'm drinking beer atm ;)

Beam
06-03-2004, 22:05
New flat means housewarming party! [party]

We can certainly help reducing the amount of beer that has to be moved :)

Matrix
06-03-2004, 23:30
If the Efteling were a bit cheaper I'd go too. But jeez, 23 euro. [eek] [rant] [cry]

anarres
07-03-2004, 00:07
What is it? [???]

Matrix
07-03-2004, 12:47
A theme park, a fairy tales park, plus all kind of other fun attractions, like roller coasters etc. Very big; you can spend hours there. But there's really also a lot of fun for adults.

My favorite attraction is Villa Volta. ;) Though there's a lot of talk in Dutch. [rolleyes] I might give a translation...if I can find the original text somewhere.

Matrix
07-03-2004, 14:01
There are three rooms; the first two rooms are story-like, the third...is just cool. :D

[u]First room</u>
Narator:
In the middle of the eighteenth century waves of violence flooded the Brabant Kempen and rural Limburg. Hordes of villains moved through our peaceful scenery plundering and commiting arson. They called themselves the 'Bokkeryders', after shadowy ghosts. According to the Middle Age myth riding on billy goats [bokken] swarming through the nightly sky and even penetrating locked houses.

Marie:
The Bokkeryers, vipers, that's what they are! They should be exterminated with root and all!

Jonne Peer:
Yes, indeed Marie! Indeed.

Man:
I've heard that last night they burned down the spot of Arjan de Stoere [Arjan the brave] and took everything of value.

Vrouw:
Really? It can't be?!

Marie:
Generation of Vipers' what they are!

Woman:
They say their eyes are luminous and that they see so well fate hits you like thunder.

Marie:
Drivel, I tell you. Sly rabble swindling the commons with poor tricks and bribery. Let the landlord rob 'em for once, then they'll have a rude awakening; he's got plen'y peasants to teach 'em all a lesson and let then unlearn their profession. (Dying voice)

Narator:
The myth tells that this develish army of Bokkeryders found their end in a cruelsome battle, high in the sjies above the Postelse Abdij [Postly Abbey]. Sixty long years the pack practiced a true reign of terror on the rural population. Their satanic guild signs, a tarbrush, filled one another with quiver and fear.

Jonne Peer:
Damned be these Bokkeryders, the parasites of these parts and especially Hugo.

Marie:
More a godless rascel, this Hugo. With his long black mane it's the devil himself. When he's around your life isn't sure.

Woman:
Not to mention goods and chattels.

Marie:
Even the locks of the trapdoor won't stop him.

Woman:
O lord, who will release of of those goblins.

Jonne Peer:
One profane bandit, that's for sure! But realise, pride goes before a fall.

Man:
That may be Jonne Peer, but for now he doesn't let it worry him.

Marie:
He already was no good as a lad, always against the reigh, they saw it happen back then, he becoming a rogue.

Verteller:
Listen to the story of Hugo, Hugo van den Loonsche Duynen, who joined this nasty pack of robbers. A man without compassion, possessed by a unbridled greed and urge for money! Hugo the Bokkeryder!

[u]Second room</u>
This house, this cursed house... it's a hell all the same. That one cursed night in the Belgian Kempen...

The Bokkeriders are walking along with the horses (The horses are neighing).
Man: "He Hugo, the day is short. The men are muttering cos our throats are as leather."

The sun was low and we were looking for beds for the night, but there no villages anywhere.

Hugo: "Yea yea we'll see, the first we encounter will serve you."
Walking through shrubs, horses reighing.....

But all of a sudden, in the distance... a large building. The abbey of Postly, we knew. We set the horses at a gallopm, and when the sun was gone, we arrived at the chapel.

Crickets and frogs in the background, Bokkeriders walking through the high grass/bushes
Hugo: "Keep ye quiet"
Man laughing with hand for his mouth

There was light coming through the windows and it was dead silent. No monks singing, or pious mumbling. Behind the chapel doors golden beakers and silver candlesticks ripe for the picking, hahaha! With this thought we bashed down the door! Not a human in sight... On the altar the boot glittered. The candle were lit... odd. My men cracked the offertory-box, and I myself emptied the altar.

People trying doorhandles, man saying: "Ha ha, this door is still locked!", crow cawing in the background.
Man: "Damned!"
Another man: "Gently, gently!"
Hugo: "Ey, look out!" and something broke in the Postly Abbey.
Other man: "That's what was telling you,..."
Hugo: "Hey, step aside!"
On the background money jingling, and the cracking of the offertory-box, and little boxed being plundered.

And then, suddenly, on my shoulder a slim hand. I looked back, and behind me stood a young woman, her eyes full of fire. All saw her, and the jingling grew silent. It looked like she was floating in her long white dress. For a short time I felt something of fear and she spoke to me: "Thou, Hugo van den Loonsche Duynen, thou art desecrating this house. So repent, and do not bring down the wrath of God on you...."

Mysterious woman synchronous with Hugo: "Thou, Hugo van den Loonsche Duynen, thou art desecrating this house. So repent, and do not bring down the wrath of God on you...."

But I, I overcome my fear; hissed her down with a scornful laugh and roughly pushed her back. I call my men to leave and saw that she was dissolving in the nothing... One day later I reached my house. I was shocked: above my housefront stood... SHE! The lady from the chapel! Her arms waved, like rocking on the wind. I heard her voice, as floating through my mind: "Nowhere in your own house, nor where else in the world, wilst thou find peace or quiet, now that thou hast harmed the house of God... first then, when a nobel man with a clean conscience as that of a newborn child, will enter your dwelling-place, then thou shalt find peace, in your house and in your heart..."

Mysterious woman synchronous with Hugo: "Nowhere in your own house, nor where else in the world, wilst thou find peace or quiet, now that thou hast harmed the house of God... first then, when a nobel man with a clean conscience as that of a newborn child, will enter your dwelling-place, then thou shalt find peace, in your house and in your heart..."

This curse, my cruelsome fate, is as of yet not broken... Enter with a pure soul, so that the doom falls from this house, and my soul will receive peace, which I so desperately desire.....

Man:
Dames en heren, let u op! De deuren openen in uw richting. Ladies and gentleman, please stand back. The doors will open in your direction. [aargh]

Matrix
07-03-2004, 14:04
Translated it myself from this website (http://home.conceptsfa.nl/~mjhoeve/frames.htm). Quite cool actually, having to translate (into) this ancient language. :D But I did use the dictionary...a lot. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

Edit: And I just noticed there already is an English translation available on that website. [lol] But I find my own better. [smokin]

Skyfish
07-03-2004, 14:54
[crazyeye]

Stapel
08-03-2004, 11:22
Beam, PP, and especially Anarres (and maybe others):

Is the Efteling plan set?

Beam
08-03-2004, 11:43
Hm, I am really open to everything but I am looking more for musea at the moment after some chatting with anar. Trouble is that the Stedelijk is closed and the Rijks only has a limited collection atm.

Skyfish
08-03-2004, 12:51
The Van Gogh has a great collection right now (Dante Rossetti) though !

Shabbaman
16-03-2004, 14:32
Or you could go to the hermitage.

Stapel
16-03-2004, 18:10
Has that opened yet? It hadn't in january.

Skyfish
16-03-2004, 22:06
anarres : the Van Gogh has a special this month where they open until 22h00 on Friday nights ! [jump]
Exactly what we needed [love]

anarres
16-03-2004, 22:16
mwahaha [mwaha]

Shabbaman
17-03-2004, 09:53

Has that opened yet? It hadn't in january.

Yes, it was on the news a couple of weeks ago.

ERIKK
17-03-2004, 13:08
I go there on april 10.

Shabbaman
17-03-2004, 13:37
This might be a good time to dig up the member photo thread :D

Stapel
23-03-2004, 09:57
Only 4 days!

It would be nice if all could confirm!

Lt. Killer M
23-03-2004, 10:07

Only 4 days!

It would be nice if all could confirm!

:(

Beam
23-03-2004, 11:06
Killer, come on you weakling! Just leave the moving mess the mess and join us to have fun!

anarres
23-03-2004, 11:14
mememememememememememe!

Since you all get to see my ugly mut in a few days anyway I got a piccie taken on my boss's webcam:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/2004323111138_me.jpg
17.07KB

And here is another one I did because the first was so bad. Unfortunately this is worse. [rolleyes] [lol]

An even worse photo... (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/anarres/2004323111156_me2.jpg)

Beam
23-03-2004, 11:22
OMG, hooligan expected to arrive early Friday morning on Eindhoven Airport. I'll be waiting there for hours while anar gets his arse inspected for drugs. [:o]

Skyfish
23-03-2004, 11:41
quote:while anar gets his arse inspected for drugs

Well at least that'll take care of the "sex" part of the trip, so I wont have to bring him to the Red Light district on Friday night :D

Lt. Killer M
23-03-2004, 11:57
beam: my mothers Bday on sunday :(

Shabbaman
23-03-2004, 12:58
OMG, anarres looks like an english hooligan! I sure hope for him that the customs aren't out of lubricant ;)

Herr Mallison, it's mother's day in two months time, so you could make it up then. It has the added benefit that you don't have to visit her in the mean time.

anarres
23-03-2004, 13:04
'Mothers day' -&gt; as in last Sunday? [lol]

Skyfish
23-03-2004, 13:11
He dont look like a hooligan...he looks like a ...nerd :D

anar, you guys have different Mothers' day than on the "continent" [rolleyes]

Skyfish
23-03-2004, 13:12
He dont look like a hooligan...he looks like a ...nerd :D

anar, you guys have a different Mothers' day than on the "continent" [rolleyes]

Shabbaman
23-03-2004, 14:22
He looks english you mean ;)

Stapel
23-03-2004, 14:28
I think this is the list of attendees (please react if not):

-Stapel
-Matrix
-ProPain
-Beam
-Sky
-Anarres
-Shabba
-Erikk
-Aggie

And some people that have spread rumours:
-Smalltalk
-KingReno
-Melifluous

Stapel
23-03-2004, 14:29
Rumours go AoA will come as well ;)

Shabbaman
23-03-2004, 14:36
[lol]

Meli said he couldn't attend. I'll be there, but not at twelve already I think.

ProPain
23-03-2004, 14:38
wow anarres. That second picture reminds me a lot of those pics I saw the 149 scam sites [lol]

Stapel
23-03-2004, 14:39
Oh yeah:

Stuff will start at noon. But, of course, it is possible to drop in later.

Skyfish
23-03-2004, 14:57
[eek]
Take that adress and number off the forum !
Put it in our "restricted access" forum :)

Kemal is "rumored" to attend as well ;)

Aggie
23-03-2004, 15:02
I haven't felt well in the last two days (physically). I assume that will be better soon. When that happens I'll be there.

Beam
23-03-2004, 15:04
Why is Cracker not on the list?

ProPain
23-03-2004, 15:12
He was our suprise guest! Now you ruined our carefull planning [cry]

Stapel
23-03-2004, 15:19
Now that is has all been ruined, we might as well tell all:

Cracker will be there, wearing a leather suit, to perform a great gay-stick-dancing act.....

Matrix
23-03-2004, 15:40
If someone could film it, I can post it on the front page of CivFanatics. [mischief]

Shabbaman
23-03-2004, 15:41
Hm, sounds like Bas "corpsbal" Stapel wants to recreate one of his weekly fraternity nights ;)

Shabbaman
23-03-2004, 15:43
Which doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to that special act by cracker and aoa.

Stapel
23-03-2004, 16:20
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Hm, sounds like Bas "corpsbal" Stapel wants to recreate one of his weekly fraternity nights ;)

Indeed [jumpD] .
And all of you will be my pledges, and have to crawl through slaughter offal with pieces of glass in it.

For heaven's sake Shabba: Have you ever realised how my corpsbal friends have reacted when I told them about me not only attending to a LAN party with my obscure internerd freinds, but even opening my house for it?

Skyfish
23-03-2004, 20:07
Oh yeah am sure they reacted vehemently jealously :D

I am sure I'll show up but more towards the end of the afternoon than the beginnings.
Btw am bringing : the Whisky (only the best), the Cigars (you know where from Bas ;)) and the Weed for the English.
Hope you have a smoking room in your place because we have laods of non-smokers too !

ERIKK
23-03-2004, 20:10
[hmm] ...what should I bring? What's your plan on food and drinks Stapel?

Should we bring sleeping bags and floatable beds(?) (luchtbedden) ;)?

Beam
23-03-2004, 21:05
I'll take care of one or two cases of Palm, very cheap 10 miles from here ;)

Stapel
23-03-2004, 21:10
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

[hmm] ...what should I bring? What's your plan on food and drinks Stapel?

Should we bring sleeping bags and floatable beds(?) (luchtbedden) ;)?

Yup, I provide space, but no beds and sleeping bags.
The plan on food and drinks is not too complicated:
There will be food and drinks :D ! I plan to buy stuff on friday night or saturday morning, with help from Matrix.

If anyone does either have a brilliant idea, or something they absolutely do not like, this is the time to say so.

Sky: about the smoking question: Me and my three housemates all smoke, but no weed (anymore). Our 'rommelhok' seems rather ok for those who want to use weed. If we decide not to smoke in the living, where the actual gaming will be, my own room can be used for regular cigaret smokers.

Stapel
23-03-2004, 21:11
Konqueror webbrowser sucks big time!

ERIKK
23-03-2004, 21:16
Ok, Clear!

So, who will be there? AFAIK it will be anarres, stapel, propain, shabbaman, matrix,
skyfish, beam, aggie and me. Am I forgotting someone?

EDIT:
Argg, I just read up and saw your list!!!

EDIT2:
I read 'more' up and saw the pics of anarres!!!
Damn work, I even have no time anymore to carefully check this site during working hours!!! [eek]

smalltalk
23-03-2004, 21:24
Still not sure if I'll make it.

The good news is, I can borrow a car, so I don't have to care about my own exhausted vehicle.
The bad news is, that my bank-account could still use some more input.

Any problem, if I decide on thursday evening or friday early, whether I will hit the road?

anarres
23-03-2004, 22:04
smalltalk, it would be great to meet you - I hope you can come!

Stapel
23-03-2004, 22:29
Smalltalk: All fine with me!

Shabbaman
24-03-2004, 08:39
For heaven's sake Shabba: Have you ever realised how my corpsbal friends have reacted when I told them about me not only attending to a LAN party with my obscure internerd freinds, but even opening my house for it?

:D

I know, I know...

I'll bring a sleeping bag, and I hope to find an inflatable toy to sleep on, otherwise I'd be forced to confiscate a couch. I'll also bring "carcassonne", and, if needed, settlers of catan with 6-player add-on.

anarres
24-03-2004, 10:31
Oh Stapel - I am vegetarian, hopefully this won't fuck up the food arrangements.

Matrix
24-03-2004, 11:37

There will be food and drinks :D ! I plan to buy stuff on friday night or saturday morning, with help from Matrix.
That will be my tribute to the weekend. ;)

I think I'll bring along Machiavelli and Roborally. I seriously think you'll like Roborally! :D

Shabbaman
24-03-2004, 14:40
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Oh Stapel - I am vegetarian, hopefully this won't fuck up the food arrangements.

Nah, the "bitterballen" I'll be bringing along don't contain any real meat anyway.

Stapel
24-03-2004, 15:20

[aargh]
We have only two rules at home:
1. Thou shallst not prepare veggie food!
2. Thou shallst not bring a dog inside the house!

Unless you are blind or sick ;) .

It's good to tell in Advance Anarres!

anarres
24-03-2004, 15:34
And I thought you mainland Europeans were all leftie hippies! [???]

[lol]

Stapel
24-03-2004, 16:17

And I thought you mainland Europeans were all leftie hippies! [???]

[lol]

It was only yesterday, that I was accused of being a Fox-News prejudiced republican somewhere on CFC.....

Lt. Killer M
24-03-2004, 20:35
stapel is a neo-con, EU version - i.e. he'd vote for Westerwelle if he was German.

[runs off to find most horrible pics of Westerwelle]

smalltalk
24-03-2004, 22:36

What this boils down to is - that Stapel sure won't prepare dogs for dinner.

(Brought to you by another Veggie.)

@Killer: at least, I have some respects to Westerwelle these days; he delivered us from having to endure Schäuble for state-president. What a relieve!

@all: any sleeping place, where I could show up friday evening/night?

Stapel
24-03-2004, 22:44
quote:Originally posted by smalltalk

What this boils down to is - that Stapel sure won't prepare dogs for dinner.

(Brought to you by another Veggie.)

@Killer: at least, I have some respects to Westerwelle these days; he delivered us from having to endure Schäuble for state-president. What a relieve!

@all: any sleeping place, where I could show up friday evening/night?

here!

smalltalk
24-03-2004, 22:51
cool!

Stapel
24-03-2004, 23:02
Did a count on sleeping spots: I have 5 extra beds, but no sleeping bags.

Rest should take both.

Another great point:......

We have a brilliant cook!

Beam
24-03-2004, 23:02
smalltalk, you have a backup site as well, but you will have to stick with the strong coffee morning routine anar and me just agreed if you go for the fallback scenario ;)

Stapel
24-03-2004, 23:03
The cook loves whisky (hint)......

Stapel
24-03-2004, 23:04
Smalltalk: msn?????

Lt. Killer M
24-03-2004, 23:46
smalltalk: yep, you are right, for once he was not a total loser

Shabbaman
25-03-2004, 08:45
Who's the brilliant cook?

Stapel
25-03-2004, 09:14
The cook is one of my housemates. He really is excellent! He works twice a week for a pretty well-off handicapped man. This man has veggie guests on a regular basis.

Yesterday, we discussed brocolli & camembert stuff.....

ProPain
25-03-2004, 09:18
We now have 2 comp's for our mini-lan. Beam, if you can bring your laptop as you offered before (iirc) that would make 3. It would be great if someone else could take a laptop with them, that would total 4 comps for the mini-lan.

Skyfish
25-03-2004, 09:43
I got a laptop or 2 as well but I will not be able to join until end of afternoon :(

I can even get an 8-port 100MB LAN hub if we can bring more PCs :D
Maybe Erikk ? Aggie ?

Aggie
25-03-2004, 09:45
I can't ship my PC to The Hague. Sorry :(

anarres
25-03-2004, 10:16
I don't think they'd let me take mine as hand luggage. :D

col
25-03-2004, 10:36
quote:Yesterday, we discussed brocolli & camembert stuff.....

Wow - we usually just sit around drinking beer and talking about football.

anarres
25-03-2004, 10:42
Hmm, the hippie influence! [:o]

Beam
25-03-2004, 11:20
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

We now have 2 comp's for our mini-lan. Beam, if you can bring your laptop as you offered before (iirc) that would make 3. It would be great if someone else could take a laptop with them, that would total 4 comps for the mini-lan.

No prob. In the chat last night Stapel indicated there might even be more PC's available :)

Stapel
25-03-2004, 12:55
What I have right now: a working LAN in my living room with a 8 port 10/100 hub.1 port is fed with internet by a linux server, 1 port is used to distribute internet to another hub (this hub distributes internet to all the rooms in my house).

This leaves:
-6 computers can be connected in the living room.
-I have 4 working UTP cables.
-I have 2 computers (a PIV-2,4 1000GB & a PIII-600 512MB) with C3C 1.15 installed, both with 21" screens
-I have another 17" screen, I can (and will) install c3c on my laptop (PIII-500 256MB)

Since I think 4 people will LAN-party, and the rest will play boardgames, we only need one extra PC....

Stapel
25-03-2004, 12:56
quote:Originally posted by col

quote:Yesterday, we discussed brocolli & camembert stuff.....

Wow - we usually just sit around drinking beer and talking about football.

That is what we usually do too! This is a great exception!

Aggie
25-03-2004, 15:54
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

I haven't felt well in the last two days (physically). I assume that will be better soon. When that happens I'll be there.

I feel much better. I will almost certainly come. My time of arrival depends upon when others are there. I will certainly go home and sleep in my own bed from Saturday to Sunday.

Beam
25-03-2004, 16:46
Since the LAN party is in The Hague I assume Stapel will provide us with localized keyboards ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004325165611_kiebogdsmall.jpg
173.97KB

Full version:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004325163212_kiebogd.jpg

anarres
25-03-2004, 17:19
BTW - will there be a CD burner and blank CD's available? I could bring some "stuff" over... ;)

ERIKK
25-03-2004, 18:27
[lol] Love the pic!

I don't have a laptop and wont like to bring my pc in the train! Anyway, I can be there by 14:00 or so. Aggie maybe we, and possibly others, can travel together?

Aggie
25-03-2004, 18:50
@ERIKK: I'm going by car...

ERIKK
25-03-2004, 18:54
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/2004128204211_eek.jpg

Aggie
25-03-2004, 18:57
Exactly the reason to go by car...now I have to be the Bob [tongue].

smalltalk
25-03-2004, 19:24
First, I'm glad to say that I most surely will show up.
(Exception see below)

Stapel: sorry, no MSN...

Beam: You'd be suprised by my morning routines...

About computers: I'll bring a 600 MHz Notebook with 1.15 patched Civ.
I'll also bring a Civ-board game with expansion set.

quote:
col Wow - we usually just sit around drinking beer and talking about football.
annares Hmm, the hippie influence!

Beer drinking, TV-set owning hippies? Quite a strange brew of hippies.

Software Exceptions, hehehe

Found this article today at 16.00 in a software vendor's knowledge base:
quote:Nach der Umstellung auf die Sommerzeit bzw. bei Verwendung der Office Line auf einem Rechner mit einer von der MEZ abweichenden Zeitzone bekommt man beim Start die Meldung, dass die Anwendung nicht lizenzierte Anpassungen enthalten würde.
Which translates to:
If you don't patch our/your software, it won't run after summertime starts. (Summertime starts in the night from Saturday to Sunday.) I'm just applying the patch, and I really don't expect it to cause some trouble.

So, see you soon.
smalltalk

anarres
25-03-2004, 19:51
quote:Originally posted by smalltalk

quote:
col Wow - we usually just sit around drinking beer and talking about football.

Beer drinking, TV-set owning hippies? Quite a strange brew of hippies.
It should read:
quote:
Stapel Yesterday, we discussed brocolli & camembert stuff.....

;)

Skyfish
25-03-2004, 20:15
[lol]
Dont try to smart-ass Smalltalk anar ;)

jack merchant
25-03-2004, 23:09
Hello :).

I'll be there if that's alright as it seems my sister doesn't need my help moving - I have a sleeping bag but no mattress ; will makes sure to bring along some interesting homegrown smokable substance at least.

Aggie
25-03-2004, 23:11
Jack, I'm looking forward to seeing you again :)

jack merchant
25-03-2004, 23:12
It'll be my pleasure :)

anarres
25-03-2004, 23:13
Wow! It will be great to meet you Jack! :D

jack merchant
25-03-2004, 23:19
Likewise [cool]. I won't try and make noon as I'm a notoriously late sleeper, but 1 or 2 pm should be manageable :).

Matrix
26-03-2004, 00:07
Will be nice to see you again, Jack_merchant! ;)

This brings the company up to at least eleven people. [eek]

Beam
26-03-2004, 08:50
Having coffee with anar in the garden now [jumpD]

For some strange reason he made it thru customs [???]

Skyfish
26-03-2004, 08:54
Wow !
I had a flash this morning that he would miss the plane ..but no, he made it [jump]

It's a beautiful day out there today [love]
And to top it off I got some amazing news at work : my boss is fired and guess who's the top dog to replace him [groucho]

Shabbaman
26-03-2004, 09:06
Heh. Coffee... Good idea!

col
26-03-2004, 09:28
Hey Congrats Sky.

Wish I could have made it too - maybe sometime in the Summer....

Stapel
26-03-2004, 09:49

BTW - will there be a CD burner and blank CD's available? I could bring some "stuff" over... ;)

Yup!

@Jack, there will be a matras for you.

jack merchant
26-03-2004, 09:52
[goodjob]

Looking forward to it ! But first, coffee [coool].

Aggie
26-03-2004, 09:56
Hmmmmm...coffee...

Shabbaman
26-03-2004, 10:09
How many people are sleeping in? I *could* bring a inflatable matrass, but I'll do so only when forced to (since it's fucking heavy). I think I'll arrive around four or five, don't know exactly.

Skyfish
26-03-2004, 10:42
Hey Jack great to see you tomorrow man ! I 've missed you !

pssst.. change your sig ;)

jack merchant
26-03-2004, 11:00
I noticed it was in need of an update [crazyeye].

Now to find a good line...

smalltalk
26-03-2004, 12:13
Well, I'm just packing and will head for The Hague in about an hour or so.

So expect me at around 20.00 to 22.00. I'll try to pass a call, when I'm stuck in one of the inevitable traffic jams.

Shabbaman
26-03-2004, 14:49
Traffic jams? In the Randstad? Never! [lol]

Stapel
26-03-2004, 15:14
I have no fucking clue from where herr Kleinsprache is coming, but I expect he enters NL neaar Arnheim where A3 becomes A12 (BTW: the last viaduct in Germany had a great text paint-brushed on it in 1988: Jetzt betreten Sie das land der Europameister).

I would really be surprised if he meets any stau on a friday night, when travelling westwards

Shabbaman
26-03-2004, 15:21
I hope he recalls that there are actually speedlimits on the dutch Autobahn.

Shabbaman
26-03-2004, 16:30
OK, see you all tomorrow. I've got a detailed routemap, if I get lost I still have stapel's phonenumber.

anarres
26-03-2004, 23:29
After our first day out I have set the standard for being a lightweight! Anyone wishing to challenge me to the title must be able to fall asleep after only 4 or 5 drinks (and no pot! [:o]) :D

Stapel
27-03-2004, 02:26
Already getting pissed here....

Skyfish
27-03-2004, 07:17
Indeed anarres has been a disaster [rolleyes]

Aggie
27-03-2004, 07:51
Hi, I'm typing this on my old PC, which still works. Where can I find the road map to Stapel's house again? I lost it all :(

ERIKK
27-03-2004, 08:36
@aggie: ...in this thread, first page!

@anarres: hehe..., these days I get a headache after 5 or 6 beers when I stop drinking!

@all: wow! KingReno and Kemal (I just read that) are coming too! It is gonna be crowded in Stapels house. Maybe we can go to his 'herensocieteit' and meet some of his friends! ;)

Beam
27-03-2004, 09:18
While Sky, Jack and me enjoyed some more A'dam culture

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/200432791528_adamfridayfun.jpg
67.6*KB

anar was working his ass of to get an entry in the records books

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20043279170_adamfridayrecovery1.jpg
50.99*KB

and he is still working on it as we speak ;) [sleep]

ERIKK
27-03-2004, 11:16
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

And to top it off I got some amazing news at work : my boss is fired and guess who's the top dog to replace him [groucho]
Sounds like we have a person who just read the new Dilbert...

[satan]

Anyway, congrats Sky. You know what being a manager means? [groucho]

Kemal
27-03-2004, 15:03
I'll be coming over to The Hague shortly too, I think I can be there at around 17:30. :)

Beam
27-03-2004, 18:34
And Kemal made it to The Hague and immed. was taking over the Iroqs from Matrix in the MP game.

Present for Stapel from Sky for organizing:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2004327183143_presentforbas.jpg
84.62*KB

Left to right (which could mean more than just the line-up ;) ):
Sky, John Cleese, Shabba, PP, Stapel and smalltalk sitting on the couch.

Shabbaman
27-03-2004, 18:39
Damn, I'm looking good!

col
27-03-2004, 19:07
So who's sitting in the background left?

Skyfish
27-03-2004, 20:53
The master himself !
ANARRES :D

please note the Lagavullin bottle featuring as well

Kingreno
27-03-2004, 21:43
And the food is great too!![coool]

Shabbaman
27-03-2004, 22:15
Yeah, the food was great. Now, on to the "bitterballen"!

ERIKK
27-03-2004, 22:18
HEHE,

well let me post some pics first!

ERIKK
27-03-2004, 22:45
hehe,

Well let me post some pics first!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/2004327223713_tafel1.jpg
103.14KB
The perfect food, cooked by Stapels personel chef!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/2004327223953_tv.jpg
87.54KB
Sky's Frenchies playing rugby

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/200432722439_shabbabier.jpg
92.99KB
Shabba offering us a beer!

We are just getting ready for the evening... [evil]

Shabbaman
27-03-2004, 22:46
Hey, you're posting incriminating evidence here!

ERIKK
27-03-2004, 23:20
[hmm]

I have more! [groucho]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/200432723951_srapeldegastheer.jpg
89.33KB
There is Stapel, todays host!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/2004327231427_bragging.jpg
153.96KB
There we have Stapel bragging about the fancy food! ;)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/2004327231755_food.jpg
90.31KB
Sky watching the rugby.

ERIKK
28-03-2004, 14:58
HEADACHE!

Damn.... I feel bad!

Aggie
28-03-2004, 15:17
Watje...

Skyfish
28-03-2004, 15:40
A huge thanks to Stapel for having us at his place...and sorry leaving a huge mess behind [blush2]

We also forgot to sort out the food budget : we definitely have to do something about this soon :(

It was an amazing evening and cant wait to do this again ! Thanks to everybody and hope I see you soon !

Ideas for next meeting :
- over a week-end at anarres's house in Cambridge at the summer!
- over 5 days at my house in the South of France (the Cevennes mountain range) in the fall !
(there's easily room enough over there for 15 ppl to sleep and eat)

;)

Aggie
28-03-2004, 15:46
I want to echo Skyfish's praise for Stapel and the others who helped organising this [thumbsup]. I obviously had a lot of fun :D

And indeed, I was also bothered by the budget...

Stapel
28-03-2004, 16:47
Since I am not the only one that brought groceries, I can't sort out the budget.

What did you spend Sky? (and others)?

Skyfish
28-03-2004, 17:02
Oh *I* did not spend anything, really :D

How much did *you* spend ?

Maybe we should open a separate thread for the budget stuff [lol]

Aggie
28-03-2004, 17:43
You know...it was very interesting to come home at bright daylight :). I have to admit that was a long time ago [:o] Talk about staying long!

Matrix
28-03-2004, 18:30
We went to bed when it got light. [mischief] Around 7 AM (summertime).

Anarres got a strange sleeping...mechanism. We were all just talking and all of a sudden...he was gone. [:o] I can not sleep when I'm sitting and people are talking around me!

Beam, could you perhaps zip all pictures and post it here, so that we can see all pictures? ;)

anarres
28-03-2004, 18:43
My sleeping abilities are legendary! [groucho]

Once I actually managed it standing up. [rolleyes]

ERIKK
28-03-2004, 19:20
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

HEADACHE!

Damn.... I feel bad!
[scared2] Who the fuck posted this???? Not me!

Damn, my cookie is still present on Stapels pc... [scared]

anarres
28-03-2004, 19:24
hehe. I also posted as you, but we have logged out now... ;)

yndy
29-03-2004, 07:08
Sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for all the photos.

Was there a LAN game afterall?

Shabbaman
29-03-2004, 08:41
Thanks guys, it was great! Thanks for the hospitality Stapel, and sorry for the mess (that last part especially to your cleaning lady ;) )

Shabbaman
29-03-2004, 08:42

hehe. I also posted as you, but we have logged out now... ;)

Hehehe... "the many faces of ERIKK"

Stapel
29-03-2004, 09:15
Someone is missing his C3C CD.......

Aggie
29-03-2004, 09:53
yndy, we indeed played a LAN game, even board games! In the end we did things as planned!!!

Skyfish
29-03-2004, 10:55
Well the LAN game was played for 7 hours, 4 players in Simultaneous moves and never got to the AD !
Still it was fun :D

Matrix
29-03-2004, 11:53
I saved the savegame on Stapel's (new) pc!! So we could still play on if everyone wants too. :D (Either by PBEM or simultaneous.)

Socrates
29-03-2004, 12:28
Sounds like you guys are having fun. Mmmh, vacations in the south of France ? [hmm] Hehehe... [cool]

smalltalk
31-03-2004, 11:04
Glad to have been there.

If your fate should ever bring you to Bavaria/Regensburg, you're all welcome to crash at my place.