PDA

View Full Version : How to get into map-making (and become good)

Irigy
19-02-2004, 10:46
i'm still quite new to CDZ, but all you guys are quite helpful and I like the overall atmosphere here, and so I thought I would like to give something back.

First thing that came into my mind, was starting to make maps. I did do a few maps for myself, but obviously i didn't ever make a map for a PBEM game.

So - what's the best way to get started? I don't think i should just make a map for someone who requests one. If they play for a while and notice that the map has some flaws it'll just ruin the game for them.
How did the other map makers start?

Beam
19-02-2004, 11:02
a) There are a couple of sticky mapmaking threads with loads of information, reading those certainly is a good start

b) Get yourself some thick skin once your friendly mapmaking mentor gives you feedback on your first couple of maps ;)

Irigy
19-02-2004, 11:04
quote:Originally posted by Beam

a) There are a couple of sticky mapmaking threads with loads of information, reading those certainly is a good start

I did this, and i think i understood it, but that's certainly not enough... is it?

b) Get yourself some thick skin once your friendly mapmaking mentor gives you feedback on your first couple of maps ;)

Ah! Where do i find a "friendly mapmaking mentor"? [mischief]

Plux
19-02-2004, 11:17
The SF-bot MM-mentor will show himself automatically once you have made your first PBEM map :)

Irigy
19-02-2004, 11:21
quote:Originally posted by Plux

The SF-bot MM-mentor will show himself automatically once you have made your first PBEM map :)

Hmmm, great![hmm]

Why do i sense a wave of sarcasm in the air...? :)

Aggie
19-02-2004, 11:23
No just a fair warning [evil]. But welcome to the club [thumbsup]

Skyfish
19-02-2004, 11:53
HEY ! HEY ! [mad3]

Enough disrespecting your superior here yeah ? [groucho]

Welcome Irigy :D
...and thanks a lot for your interest in making maps !

First tip is to *not* listen to either Plux, Beam or Aggie :D

Its very easy to get started, choose a map you want to make from a Map Request thread, say you "got it"
and once ready send me the BIQ file per PM. I'll take a look and then we can chat about it on MSM : sounds good ?
It s quite simple as long as you dont "forget stuff" [rolleyes]
;)

Plux
19-02-2004, 12:14
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish
Enough disrespecting your superior here yeah ? [groucho]
I thought we were all equal here [rolleyes] I guess some are more equal than others.. ;)

Aggie
19-02-2004, 12:21
He, Sky is the nr 2 spammer of this forum. So he is superior to all of us [worship]

Skyfish
19-02-2004, 12:51
[lol][rotfl][lol]

Shit ! somebody's pissed he got overtaken [rolleyes]

...And if you made more maps then it probably whoud have never happened [groucho]

Aggie
19-02-2004, 12:54
On a serious note.... I'm too busy playing SG's to make maps [sad]

ProPain
19-02-2004, 13:08
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

He, Sky is the nr 2 spammer of this forum. So he is superior to all of us [worship]

I see we have a fan of the 'Quality thru quantity' adagium.

First ran into this bit of wisdom when I started at university and learned this was how my roommates jugded diner.

Beam
19-02-2004, 14:51
quote:I'll take a look and then we can chat about it on MSM

Irigy, don't run into this trap by going in a backroom with Sky, it will be dirty and we won't be able to help you (apart from missing the fun) ;)

Irigy
19-02-2004, 21:23
Irigy, don't run into this trap by going in a backroom with Sky, it will be dirty and we won't be able to help you (apart from missing the fun) ;)

[hmm]http://wc3.ano-toto.de/yikes.gif