PDA

View Full Version : Network gaming @ ProPain's work?

Matrix
17-02-2004, 22:19
I thought there was some plan going on to go to ProPain and play Civ3 at his office? Is that true, and if so, is there anything planned? I thought it would be in february...

Skyfish
17-02-2004, 22:20
Carnival got in the way ;)

March sounds good too no ?

Matrix
18-02-2004, 08:12
O, sure. ;) As long as I can be part of it. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/dance.gif

ProPain
19-02-2004, 10:31
I'm thinking 26/27 of march, first weekend I have available. So who's interested?

Skyfish
19-02-2004, 10:35
Well 31st of March would be better :D

We could then watch Holland-France football game :D

Shabbaman
19-02-2004, 10:35
Might as well drop by that weekend, since I'm probably in Roosendaal that weekend, which is in the neighborhood...

Plux
19-02-2004, 11:18
I'm interested but not in the neighborhood regrettably.. (well, no real regret BTW :D)

Matrix
20-02-2004, 11:06
I usually don't plan that far ;), so it's free. I'll be there. :D

anarres
20-02-2004, 15:14
Please can someone set a date soon so I can buy my flight while they are still cheap.

I have a few holiday days spare and I can stay longer before or after. If anyone wants to show me the delights of Holland please say so, or I will only stay an extra day for usual tourist stuff (not the drugs, I promised my next visit would be cultural, not comatose)...

Skyfish
20-02-2004, 15:17
Shit I can only show you the drugs :D
I'll take care of you in Amsterdam for sure man !
Its geat news you can come over [jump]

Shabbaman
20-02-2004, 21:12
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Well 31st of March would be better :D

We could then watch Holland-France football game :D

Are you sure you'd want that?

Skyfish
20-02-2004, 21:49
Shabba posting at night ?????????
What happened dude ?

Shabbaman
20-02-2004, 23:20
After this afternoons intense chat I felt the urge to check if everything was allright over here ;)

No really, I'm counterbalancing my hangover with beer at a friend's place. Half Groningen has broadband internerd these days. Not counting me, alas.

Matrix
21-02-2004, 11:53
Let's decide 27 & 28 march. I haven't seen anyone protesting yet. ;)

I hope I can stay at someone's place from friday till sunday. [?] I got a week-OV and need to pay for the train in the weekend. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif (Going back on sunday is unavoidable since I have to attend lecture monday morning again.

Shabbaman
21-02-2004, 12:02
Pah, lectures ;)

As I said, I might be "down under" that weekend anyway, so you could get a ride back home. Maybe. I don't plan that far ahead [:p]

Melifluous
21-02-2004, 12:12
Well,

I should be able to make it over as well. That is if anyone has a floor I can sleep on? I dont even need a bed, anywhere with a roof would be cool?

So anyone available?

Melifluous

Matrix
21-02-2004, 12:49
Cool! Another foreigner willing to make the trip. [yeah]

Aggie
21-02-2004, 12:56
I am not a foreigner but try to be there as well :)

ERIKK
21-02-2004, 13:10
I'll see what I can do.

IIRC that office was in Ede? I have to arrange a car to able to get that far from the
civilised world... ;)

Aggie
21-02-2004, 13:16
Meli, I have room in my house. I have three sleeping spots available.

Matrix
21-02-2004, 15:29
Edit: Wait a minute...Ede? I got family in Malden (south of Nijmegen); I think that's easier. For that short distance (Nijmegen-Ede) I can go by train or bus. ;)

Skyfish
21-02-2004, 16:22
It aint Ede, its Veenendaal !
..and Matrix I'll pay for your train ticket if u cant get a ride [rolleyes]

Shabba u better show up asshole [mad2]

Matrix
21-02-2004, 17:28
Veenendaal makes the story different. Then Utrecht would be best, but I don't really know anyone there, so in that case I better get back to Amsterdam. [hmm]
Aggie, could I stay with you then? :) And do you or anyone else have a spare seat for me in the car?

Skyfish, your offer is very kind :), but if I can't get a ride I'm sure I can afford it myself, even as college student. ;)

Skyfish
21-02-2004, 18:11
Lets not put too much pressure on PP here : the LAN party would be the icing on the cake but if we cant do it then
its not a problem we can go have some [drunk], get drunk and fist fight each other no ? That also sounds real cool :D

We will arrange it so that we all get rides if we go by car..*if* we go to Veenendaal [groucho]

Matrix
21-02-2004, 21:02
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

...if we cant do it then its not a problem we can go have some [beer], get drunk and fist fight each other no ? That also sounds real cool :D
Sure. :) Can I be referee?

Melifluous
22-02-2004, 09:27
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Sure. :) Can I be referee?

Aha! Scared of getting your ass kicked [groucho]

Come on, you met Skyfish and he's a short-ass and apparently anarres is even shorter! [:o] (If such a thing is possible without getting automatically drafted into a circus)

Referee's are for pussys

Melifluous

Beam
22-02-2004, 10:49
I can offer quite some sleeping spots and in case you fly Ryanair to Eindhoven I can easily pick people up. No prob with extended stays, plenty of holidays are waiting to be waisted. I have to sail however on the 28th but we can work around that.

Shabbaman
22-02-2004, 11:44
Ooh, midget fights!

ERIKK
22-02-2004, 14:36
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Ooh, midget fights!
[lol]

"I bet €20 on the short one!" [estwing]

Stapel
22-02-2004, 22:04
Count me in.

The whole location stuff confuses me. Where will it be? I have a car, in case you didn't notice. But I am poor driver when drunk....

Melifluous
22-02-2004, 22:06
Dont drunk and druve

Melifluous

[estwing][fdevil][evil][cry][blush]

Cruise
23-02-2004, 13:41
Sounds cool, might be able to get there, not sure yet.
Perhaps us 3 Groningers (Shabba, Matrix and me) can arrange something. [coool]

Matrix
23-02-2004, 15:11
Good idea!

Do you have a car and a licence? [mischief]

Cruise
23-02-2004, 15:15
Have a license, but no car[punch]

Stapel
23-02-2004, 15:43
I have studied the whole thread.

Since civ3 is a turn based game, I don't see the point in playing in on a LAN. Do I miss something here?
If we are meeting for the booz / boardgames, we aren't stuck to whatever location, are we?

I don't see the point either in driving to a sleeping location, between home and Veenendaal. doesn't make sense. Either I go home, or I'll stay and spend the night.

In short: this thread doesn't make sense at all?????

Shabbaman
23-02-2004, 15:45
But then again, what is the point of LAN parties anyway, since the whole world has broadband?

Melifluous
23-02-2004, 17:16
OK...

Lemme put it this way then.

anarres and I are coming to Amsterdam for the weekend 27/28th march.
PP may have offered the use of his office Lan.

If PP's offer of LAN = <True> then

Meet at Veenendraal (or whatever the damn thing is called, too many damned vowels if you ask me)

ELSE

We meet in a central location (Centraal? location)

END-IF

Sound ok?

Melifluous

Matrix
23-02-2004, 17:31
Please read the other thread (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1532), Mel. ;) Is it a good plan? Once everyone has posted there they can decide where to stay and especially when to arrive (like friday or saturday?) and leave.

We haven't thought of anything for sunday yet, of anyone still want to do something then.

smalltalk
24-02-2004, 14:26
quote:Originally posted by anarres
(not the drugs, I promised my next visit would be cultural, not comatose)...

Wrong drugs then, or wrong combination of it...

Would like to come. However, I'm constantly broke and my car has already 250 000 km on its meter and I promised to go to Berlin somewhen in the next two month.

I'll think it over - and I'll try to get some invoices out.

Matrix
27-02-2004, 14:20
I've been thinking about what you said in the other thread, smalltalk, but I don't think we have to finish that game anymore, since we can always continue when we're back at home, either by PBEM, or by continuing simultaneous/turn based, because with Conquests you now have the option of mixing these playing types. :) So I think we can stick to the plan.

My second thoughts are more like will it be fun at all and not a waste of time and effort to go to ProPain's work to play? Like Stapel has said to me through MSN: you don't really need to go see each other for that. Well, playing Civ3 gives plenty of time to chat vocally, but an office isn't a really good/cosy environment, is it? http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif

I'd like to hear other opinions! It's only one month away and you'll be surprised how fast that month will pass!

Aggie
27-02-2004, 14:22
I still like the idea of network gaming at ProPain's work...

EDIT: despite the fact that last years meet was a lot of fun.

anarres
27-02-2004, 14:46
I am open to anything really. I'd probably be just as happy playing Risk as civ...

Shabbaman
27-02-2004, 15:20
quote:Originally posted by anarres

I am open to anything really. I'd probably be just as happy playing Risk as civ...

I've got the original version of the civilization board game. I've never played it: the box mentions that the "lite" version takes approx. 6 hours. I guess we could play the epic game, I suppose that'd last all weekend ;)

ERIKK
27-02-2004, 15:48
I think a boardgame is more fun than a LAN game. There is much more social interaction.

On boardgames: I played Axis&Allies and World at War to death. Europe at War was a bit of a
disappointment.

I also like Monopoly, Catan and Risk. Never played Diplomacy but would certainly like to
try it sometime.

Shabbaman
27-02-2004, 17:36
I also have the "beer game" [:p]

Beam
27-02-2004, 17:56
I am open to anything, but agree with Erik on the social aspect. I've played Civ original Boardgame a number of times (years ago) and have a copy as well. Trading is part of it, a very interactive part iirc. Catan is also very nice and much faster.

Diplomacy, Shogun, Axis & Allies and 2 copies of Risk (12 players on 2 maps!) are also in the locker here :D.

Aggie
27-02-2004, 18:12
I'm not such a fan of board games myself, but when I'm outvoted...no problem.

Stapel
27-02-2004, 18:26
I would prefer boardgames too... (Catan and all its add-ons, civ boardgame and diplomacy here).

But, I think it is either Matrix' or PP's call.

My house is not only open for dinner&booz, but also for boardgames. But I would hate to steal the idea and make it my own party.

Matrix
27-02-2004, 18:27
The advantage of board games is that we don't have to go to Veenendaal, but only have to go to the Hague, to Stapel, since his house is big enough for all of us. ;) (Until it's bedtime.)

Edit: seeing Stapel's post, I'd go for board games at Stapel's. (Sorry, Aggie.) I hope ProPain agrees.

It makes the whole story a lot easier. The only thing non-West-Dutchmen need to do is find a place to sleep.

ProPain
01-03-2004, 11:26
Boardgames suits me fine too, maybe we should poll it.

I'll still do a LAN day/weekend but I'll pick a different weekend if most people prefer board games. I bought the civ boardgame and can provide that. Also Catan, la Cita, Eufraat & Tigris and a lot of less time consuming games that are easier to cope with when the alcohol kicks in.

Shabbaman
01-03-2004, 11:47
Like the beer game? ;)
No, really, I have Carcassonne, that's a real good board game. A combination of domino and go actually.

Stapel
01-03-2004, 14:06
I still lack a good idea of what a LAN game is about. I guess it doesn't really make me feel horny.

Anyway: I think we should make a decision and plan the whole stuff asap.

Skyfish
01-03-2004, 14:08
I much prefer LAN to boardgame [no]

Shabbaman
01-03-2004, 14:19
quote:Originally posted by Stapel

I guess it doesn't really make me feel horny.

And boardgames do? In that case I vote for LAN!

Socrates
01-03-2004, 14:20
Hehe, Diplomacy, that nasty boardgame !! I've always dreamt of playing it with 6 other people ; so far, I have only played it a little with a max of 5 players.

I can only wish you all a nice week-end ! [goodjob] I wish there was such a group in France (Paris) as in your small tulips and windmills country.

ERIKK
01-03-2004, 14:28
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

I guess it doesn't really make me feel horny.

And boardgames do? In that case I vote for LAN!
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ERIKK/2004128204211_eek.jpg

(Nevertheless I still prefer boardgames...)

Stapel
01-03-2004, 15:26
-With howmany people is a LAN game fun?
-How long should it take?

Beam
01-03-2004, 16:24
quote:I wish there was such a group in France (Paris) as in your small tulips and windmills country.

That small country is just 400 km (Breda) from Paris. So come over!

ProPain
01-03-2004, 17:49

-With howmany people is a LAN game fun?
-How long should it take?

I've played LAN games only 1v1, but my guess is you shouldn't play a game with more than 4 players. just to keep up the pace. You'll be playing sim moves to avoid big boring waits. But on 1 lan you can launch several games so that's not a problem

You can finish a game in 1,5 days when you play continuously.

Matrix
01-03-2004, 18:16
We can of course start with simultaneous moves and when it gets complicated switch over to turn based. And if we can't finish it, continue by PBEM. ;)

Skyfish
01-03-2004, 19:51
Very good idea Matrix : lets do that :D

Aggie
01-03-2004, 19:52
Also: conquests are less turns. We could always try that.

ProPain
02-03-2004, 11:42
It seems most people prefer board games over LAN, but Stapel and I came up with a win-win solution. Boargames AND LAN at stapels. For now it's a 4 comp LAN so only limited LAN play and one spot reserved for Aggie of course!

Both threads continued http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1564