PDA

View Full Version : Lt Killer M vs Skyfish 3 ******SPOILER******

Skyfish
13-02-2004, 11:00
After a first quick concession in our second game, Killer and I are on our 3rd game vs each other.

Here are the game conditions (same as the second game) :

THIS IS A NO-AI GAME
C3C 1.12
Standard
Continents (2 separate, one for each)
Wet, normal, 5 billion, sedentary barbs
Separated by Ocean, so that discovery can not happen before Navigation.
Level : Emperor

We dont mind a boring map with all res available so we dont need to do crazy stuff at one point, we also would like a food rich map purely to speed the game up a bit...

The civs are with same trait and UUs :
Killer player 1 : Germany, Sci, Agri and Indus, with Sipahi as special UU.
Skyfish player 2 : France, Sci, Agri and Indus, with Sipahi as special UU.

[crazyeye]

Finally we have agreed special rules :
- No suicide ships, no contact before Navigation.
- No use of non mil units to block the coasts.

[:o)]

Skyfish
13-02-2004, 12:19
I have a long lasting game with Meli on PTW with no AI : I learned a lot from this game and my opening tactic is to go straight to Republic with no tech at all in between !
Then there is enough money to fund research and jump ahead. No mil units necessary except for MP :D
A No-AI game is all about cash !

Starting with same trait it is quite a tricky as the run for Philo is on : Killer being player 1
I will have to count on my poor MM skills to make NO mistake and get to him 1 turn before him [sad]
I need as many cities as possible early on, it is a very fine balance between choice of producing MPs, taking a settler out early
or building a granary in those 4 turn settler fac sites...
Lux slider is sliding big time every turn.
I got my first break when I settler popped 25g out of a hut ! [jump]
Thats a huge break but Killer told me he popped one too on MSM (he talks too much on MSM and I feed him only lies on it [evil] )
Thats my science funded now, I already have a lead in score so I believe I can get to Philo first now :D

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2004213113138_Killer-2270bc2.jpg

We have partial map knowledge, thats why I did not waste shieldds on early scouts.
You can see the 3 settler/worker factories I am going to set up around the 3 cows.
Montpellier (game is slightly modded ;)) will be my wonder factory
the city next to it which will be soon settled will allow it to use the 2 cows.
The city with 2 wheats will then build workers who will be merged into Montpellier :D

Kemal
13-02-2004, 13:07
Did you pop a settler out of a hut too Sky? Or have you asked for Orleans to be put further back in the city list for the French? I can't imagine you'd settle your 2nd city on such a spot with a self-created settler...

And one other question: I see you've agreed upon not having naval blockades with non-military units such as scouts/workers etc., but does that mean that a naval blockade with warriors/horsemen, or any other (cheap/fast) military unit is allowed? Seems strange since that's only a marginal difference...

anarres
13-02-2004, 13:10
Yeah, my partial-coastal block against Killer had only workers that were working the land, the only actual blocking units were military...

Skyfish
13-02-2004, 13:58
Acute observations skills here of course !
The game is modded as I said so indeed the city names have been changed Kemal ;)

As for the blockade, well, this is what Killer requested so I just plainly agreed with no discussion :
I also have no idea why the distinction as well [confused]
That leaves more open options for me PLUS knowing Killer I know he will be on the offensive and not the other way
around so having a blockade still possible is acceptable to me.

Aggie
13-02-2004, 14:21
Why do you care about workers blocking the coasts? Wasn't this disabled in C3C? Meaning: can they actually be captured by non-amphibious units?

Skyfish
13-02-2004, 15:02
Hey I just said *I* dont care !
Ask Killer !
I have never heard of non-amphibious units able to capture workers on a coast : what kind of crap is that ?
Are you saying its a C3C function ?

Actually what Killer asked makes sense (at a Killer M level of course :D) :
He does not want to have what happenend to anarres vs CB : once the whole island is improved you use the workers
to block the coast instead of merging or waiting for Steam.
Because there are no AI, no barbs and no contact before Navig, you do not need any mil units for a long time.
So performing a blockade would mean you have to produce loads of mils way before Navig so that when Navig arrives
you already have the blockade ready.
This would cost a LOT in upkeep whereas the workers you need them anayway so they are not a waste of money or shields.
Now it's a strategic decision : do you go for an early invasion with Sipahis ?
do you play defense and just build mil units to blockade and invade later ?
Do you blockade at all ?
Again the key in those games is cash, you cant get cash from nowhere except your own income : no AIs to bleed.
This means working at 0g almsot all the time during expansion and self research. Buidling your own army could mean
drastically lagging behind in techs...
Banning blockades outright would mean these decisions are irrelevant. The more choice in strategy, the more enjoyable the game.
No ? [groucho]

Aggie
13-02-2004, 15:12
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Hey I just said *I* dont care !
Ask Killer !
I have never heard of non-amphibious units able to capture workers on a coast : what kind of crap is that ?
Are you saying its a C3C function ?

I try to help you and then you are grumpy vs me [cry]. It was introduced in C3C to get rid of the exploit to blockade the coast with workers [groucho].

Skyfish
13-02-2004, 15:18
Nah am not grumpy vs you !
I love to make you cry though :D
Well now I learned something ! THANKS
I bet Killer does not know either ! [lol]

I still think its a stupid feature but ok...

anarres
13-02-2004, 15:20
Meh. This is Sky in a *good* mood! [lol]

Socrates
13-02-2004, 15:46
OK, now time to spam other people's games. :D

If workers blockades are gone in C3C, then it's great news. It doesn't make sense at all after all. And that's one less RBCiv rule.

Just my 2 cents : with so good river tiles, maybe you could have gone for Writing at max ? On Emperor it seems feasible, and then you would be sure to be the 1st to grab Philosophy. But this game is very different from what I'm used, and maybe I don't have the right strategy. Of course the Great Library is of no help here ! [crazyeye] But do you need all the cash you will get by doing a gambit on Writing ?

anarres
13-02-2004, 15:57
On a no-AI game you will end up doing 100% research most of the Ancient and Middle Ages. Once in the middle ages the 'crunch' really hits home when you are losing mucho gpt. Any spare cash taken in the Ancient Era means you can carry on the max research for longer...

Skyfish
13-02-2004, 16:05
[lol]
@Krys
OK sorry I was not clear enough : I have gone for Writing and Philo at max of course ! Thats what I mean by
quote:the run for Philo is on
I did not do a min run gambit on Writing. So no amassed treasure.

EDIT : @anarres, yes exactly thats the plan.

Actually here is the latest news, I was the first to Philo, I have no other techs than Pottery & Alpha (starting techs), Writing, Philo and CoL that I just got as my free tech (it was 18 turns to research it [eek])

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/200421316312_Killer-Rep.jpg

Socrates
13-02-2004, 16:24
OK, Sky, understood. Could you just tell me how many turns it took you to research Writing at max, and then Philosophy at max ? I need to know, because maybe I would have got it faster in my game too (no Killer in here... mmmh ? [hmm] ), where Hittites could have given me Pottery for my Bronze Working. I spent a total of 12 + 33 = 45 turns to get Writing there, faster than a direct gambit on Writing. It interests me because gambits are less valuable now, and I like the smell of self-research in C3C. :)

So, France v Germany... Hehehe ! Still feeling "tricolore", Sky ? You don't like when I talk about nations, do you ? :D Nice flavour, Montpellier, the wonder factory (not the "wonderful one", eh ?)...

ERIKK
13-02-2004, 20:05
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Thats a huge break but Killer told me he popped one too on MSM (he talks too much on MSM and I feed him only lies on it [evil] )
hehehe... That's my boy!

[satan]

Skyfish
13-02-2004, 21:33
Indeed Krys there is a little wink to what they RL in this game ;)
It threw Kemal off a bit so thats at least something achieved [lol]
Thanks a lot for the good words everone :D

Skyfish
16-02-2004, 11:24
Krys : it took me 45 turns to research Writing and Philo at max.
It took me 34 turns to research Writing I think...

Skyfish
16-02-2004, 13:21
Got a nice little surprise :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2004216132029_Killer-CB.jpg

Skyfish
19-02-2004, 10:09
Achieved very quick Republic, thanks to the free tech, I have never achieved this so quick I think...and you Kemal ? [groucho]

Already a big gap on score even though we have the same civ and same map [rolleyes]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/200421910819_Killer-Republic.jpg

Kemal
19-02-2004, 11:17
Nah, considering this is on emperor level, nothing special about it really, Sky. I mean, 1425 BC Republic, that's easy, right? ;)

On an additional note... the Mausoleum of Mausollos in Montpellier...???? Looking at the scores, I guess it's a prebuild for the Mausoleum of Lt. Killer perhaps?

Skyfish
19-02-2004, 11:28
Exactly a prebuild for when you dont even have Masonry [lol]

Kingreno
19-02-2004, 11:33
So what is next great Fish? will you continue the game or not, will Killer surrender? And how about wonders, some are quite valuable in a 1 on 1? Any plans? at all?????:D

A quick Republic is great![goodjob]

Skyfish
19-02-2004, 11:44
Well my favourite wonder of course is Pyramids [groucho]
The plan is to expand ASAP, I need no mil units until Navig so this is going to be a quick builder game 'til then :D

I have not yet told Killer that I am in Republic [blush2]..... (well I drew a 6 turn anarchy [mad3] )
[scared2]