PDA

View Full Version : Ever backpacked in South Africa, Australia or USA?

ERIKK
25-01-2004, 16:48
I am planning my holiday atm.

We will be travelling with 3 persons and havent decided yet to which country we wil go. We are focussing towards Australia, western-USA or South Africa.

At first sight those three are all auto holidays. I would rather travel by public transport (busses, trains). Does anybody been in these countries? Can you tell me about travelling over there and if you can get around (without to much hazzle) without renting a car?

Other info, stories are also welcome!

Many thanks!

anarres
25-01-2004, 17:13
AFAIK travalling in South Africa atm is a little dangerous! Australia is quite different to the States, I guess it depends on what you are going for.

Skyfish
25-01-2004, 18:19
I know South Africa pretty well ( I work there) and I would definitely NOT back-pack in that country !
Strongly NOT advised.

ProPain
25-01-2004, 19:01
I backpacked in Australia and that's very doable, lots of backpack busses that have a good schedule. So not waiting a week for a bus, but iirc at least 2 a day. You might wanna check which way to go though. I went from syndey->canberra->coober pedy to alice springs and that was fine. I heard the other way around is a lot more busy, so not so much space. We had 2 seats a person all the time, so good sleeping too.

Dunno about SA or Western USA. Been to western USA by car, definately worth your while. Been to Western Canada by car too, you don't wanna do that by bus, some stretches have one bus a week only.

Aggie
25-01-2004, 20:41
Why don't you hire a couple of Lonely Planets or Rough Guides from the library? Those are great as you probably know.

I've been to the South West of America and it is absolutely stunning. But I don't know anything about backpacking... Driving your own car appears to be the best way to visit America as far as I can see.

ERIKK
25-01-2004, 20:45
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

Why don't you hire a couple of Lonely Planets or Rough Guides from the library? Those are great as you probably know.
[lol] I had that planned for tomorrow evening!

Beam
25-01-2004, 21:39
Most likely it will be Australia then, you won't get killed instantaniously and don't need a car either.

Did you consider Transsiberia / China as well? Not sure how safe it is but you definitely do not need a car ;)

WildFire
26-01-2004, 01:38
Could backpack eastern USA ;)

Western wouldnt be that bad actually. Grand Canyon could be where you start, and they slowly go up through the rockies, then the pacific ranges, all around their. Plus, many internet cafes to play your pbems [:p]

digger760
26-01-2004, 08:51
you could buy a shitty car in Oz to get you around. A car for about $AU1000 should do the trick, thats about 600EURO, you would get to more places and you can go when you want. Insurnace is not compulsory iirc, but i think you'd want third party just incase. There are lots of buses, that run on schedule as well. I have a cousin who married a Scottish lad, he just went around Oz catching buses, i will have to ask him how much it cost.

I once tried hitch-hikinh catch a bus in Zimbabwie (about 10 years ago when the country was stable) I would never do it again!!

Sir Eric
26-01-2004, 12:07
On what digger said, you can get a train from Sydney to Brisbane for about $70. Depending on where you want to go whilst you're here you can use public transport to get pretty much anywhere,
There are some really great hiking tracks in Tasmania, The Cradle mountian to Lake St Clair track is a very popular track that takes about 5 days to do, Lots of good hiking just at the back of Sydney in the blue Mountains.
There are tons of backpackers, especially the more North you go, really cheap acc in popular towns like cairns, gold coast, airlie beach etc.

ERIKK
29-01-2004, 08:33
Thanks guys! :)

I rented some Rough Guides but they are old. Hopefully we decide soon, then I can buy a brand new LP or RG! ;)

ProPain
29-01-2004, 09:00
If you decide to go to Australia I'd go for the LP. It's their home country after all.