PDA

View Full Version : Heres a new utility of interest

col
21-01-2004, 16:13
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75992&pagenumber=1

If you read down the thread - you'll see a conversation between Aeson, Dianthus and Moonsinger about a utility to check maps for fair starts.....

Skyfish
21-01-2004, 16:34
Thanks for the link col.
Dunno how to use this right now, will need to talk with DrA.
At the moment jsut checking a map for the 8 starting tiles is not enough but we'll see how this develops.

Beam
21-01-2004, 17:00
First impression: nice piece of work and probably very useful for HOF purposes.

Second impression: In the way we (or just me???) make maps we take a look at the global picture first until a map is generated that fits that pic well. Only once that is done details like resources are done. Imo it is much easier to add that horse or a couple of luxes than modifying a map on global level with balanced resources already in place.

My 2 cents.

col
21-01-2004, 17:01
They are talking about checking lux etc within a certain radius - which would save time when generating random maps. I realise this is no substitute for the mapmakers art but it may help.

DrAlimentado
22-01-2004, 01:48
What'd be good is if they make a bix/biq checker that was nice and configurable so you could specify all the parameters. But I think the MP-start checker is going to be a sav checker, and I can't see how it couldn't be a spoiler device if they made it customisable.

It'll be a useful utility for checking savs blind for a fairer-than-random start.

It is getting me thinking about map generating logic though... :D Hmm... parameters...