PDA

View Full Version : Aw why aren't you guys playing for CFC?

Hygro
20-01-2004, 00:27
So now I know why all the cfc multi-players aren't playing for the cfc c3c ISDG team. It's cuz you're all here. This of course makes your root forum's team much weaker. Imagine the combined strength of a large forum, teamed with the best players? I guess it's too late now but maybe next conquests ISDG?

Makes me almost regret joining the cfc team :(

smalltalk
20-01-2004, 01:59
quote:Originally posted by Hygro
This of course makes your root forum's team much weaker.
You could be right here. CDZs level dropped considerably, when I joined. If I really wanted to strenghten my root team, I'd sign up somewhere else.

WildFire
20-01-2004, 02:54
Why am I not playing with CFC?

Look at the captain.

Pastorius
20-01-2004, 03:55
I thought Wizard had become the captain...and was doing a good job at the UN too(?)

I thought we were all out to try to do our best. The CFC team must be a good team, and it will be exciting to possibly meet them in the game(s).
I dont understand why you wish you hadnt signed up for CFC

Anyway, I am just here to make sure CDZ screws up completely [:p]
That is if they let me anywhere near the game....

Aggie
20-01-2004, 07:19
CFC is like a big city that you love and hate. You can find everything you want at CFC but sometimes it feels too crowded.

CDZ is more like a happy family [love]. And it's more than the site alone: we meet each other regularly while chatting.

Shabbaman
20-01-2004, 08:12

Imagine the combined strength of a large forum, teamed with the best players?

I don't see how that improves gameplay. I've played in two CFC demogames (SP, not MP) so I've got a good idea how CDZ doesn't want to run this demogame. We're playing a game together, and it's not a "how to run a country" game, but a "how to play civ3" game.
Of course, there's a big difference between a SP and MP demogame, a SP is much more aimed at role playing. Which leads to the question why CFC took so much effort to kill the demogame RPG...

Besides, if we were representing CFC, who would've to represent CDZ? I know a lot of players for the other teams who visit (or used visit) CFC regularly as well.

Lt. Killer M
20-01-2004, 08:34
one thing is that CFC will be full of people I despise from OT - I thought.

the other is the family here - did you know we met for a reunion in Amsterdam (that I missed)?

Hygro
20-01-2004, 08:41
Shabbaman, I'm glad to say that the MSDG (if the ptw game is of any relavence) is not played like the SPDG.

I guess this website has become a lot more than just place for CFC users to PBEM, so it makes sense you'd form your own team. I'm just dissapointed because, for example, some of our better players are advocating we at CFC be the Japanese (as you can see by our second choice in the UN polls), and I know you guys are good enough to not pick such a terrible team (you picked Iriquois which was something I considered myself--a wise choice).

I would also like to inform you all that CFC's team is filled with a smaller portion of the SPDG regulars. We don't have very many people outside it aside from myself. I have not seen any of the OT regulars I would assume you don't like Killer.

Let's just hope in the first round we aren't playing against each other and in the second round we can be friends.

Bah, too bad I'm not Western European :p

Aggie
20-01-2004, 08:45
Hygro, I am a bit sad that you're not in OUR team :(

Shabbaman
20-01-2004, 09:13

Shabbaman, I'm glad to say that the MSDG (if the ptw game is of any relavence) is not played like the SPDG.

That's good to know, otherwise we'd be waiting two weeks instead of two days for the save ;)

WildFire
20-01-2004, 09:29
Ever see those turnchats in mIRC shabba?

...booooooooooooooooring...

col
20-01-2004, 09:44
I think many of us elected to play for CDZ because here is where we play our Civ. We know each other pretty well now, I guess, having met (some ) and followed each others games via the spoiler threads.

If you want to boost the CFC team, why dont you target one or two of the SG players. Arathorn and Charis would be assets to any team.

Aeson and Sirpleb are also pretty awesome and might come on board as 'advisors' even if they cant be involved move by move.

The top GOTM players can match anyone, anywhere. Target them too.

Nothing like a personal invite by PM.

Aggie
20-01-2004, 09:47
quote:Originally posted by col

Arathorn and Charis would be assets to any team.

Aeson and Sirpleb are also pretty awesome and might come on board as 'advisors' even if they cant be involved move by move.

[scared] Col, you are helping our enemy! [scared]

...would be nice to play vs Charis anyway...

Melifluous
20-01-2004, 10:47
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

...would be nice to play vs Charis anyway...

In an "Oh Shit! I've just had my arse handed to me!" kind of way?

[lol][lol][lol]

Melifluous

Melifluous
20-01-2004, 11:01
quote:Aw why aren't you guys playing for CFC?

Because mainly they are a bunch of lame, no hoper bottom feeders with the team spirit of sharks, the sense of humour of an Isreali Cafe owner after the fact and the intelligence of stunned mackerel?

Oh and the fact that that last comment would have earnt me a lengthy "vacation" if I had expressed such a thought...

Who wants to play for a site that doesnt allow me to call Killer a complete wanker when he fucks up? (and you know he will ;) )

Melifluous

PS. It's comfy here, we likey

col
20-01-2004, 11:48
Hey - we can call you a complete wanker before you fuck up.

In fact - you're a really cool guy. See.

Look - I dont like to see CFC with a completely lame team - and imagine if one or two of those players agreed to act as advisors.

PS What have you got against Mackerel?

Melifluous
20-01-2004, 11:57

In fact - you're a wanker. See.

I am.
And it does me good
like it bloody well should
and I'm always pulling my hood...

PS What have you got against Mackerel?

Once caught 180 in a one day beach fishing session and ate mackerel every night for about 6 months.

Also any fish that can be pursuaded to bite a sharp metal object just because it is sparkly isn't going to qualify for a Nobel prize now is it?

Melifluous

anarres
20-01-2004, 12:10

almost regret?!?!! [aargh]

Skyfish
20-01-2004, 12:15
If Charis plays for any team I can guarantee you it wont be for CFC :D
There's only one place where the best players play PBEM [lol]

Shabbaman
20-01-2004, 12:22
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

I am.

No you're not. You're a really cool guy. ;)

For something completely different: not too much CFC bashing here, let alone bashing of specific members, PLEASE.

EDIT: of course I'm not talking about meli here, bash him all you like!

ERIKK
20-01-2004, 13:07
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

[quote]EDIT: of course I'm not talking about meli here, bash him all you like!

I think Meli is a really cool guy. [satan]

There: I said it!!! ;)

[lol]

ps:
I think Shabba is a really cool guy too!

Shabbaman
20-01-2004, 13:12
[LOL]

ERIKK is a really cool guy as well. As a matter of fact, we're all a bunch of really cool guys, that's why we're playing in the CDZ team!

col
20-01-2004, 14:29
Blimey - looks like Lefty ran amok with the blue pen.
Mods - power mad the lot of em.

ProPain
20-01-2004, 14:37
I think most people didnt join CFC team because they love their spam threads too much. And this thread being the live prove of that.

For me it's the 'small is beautifull' factor that I like about CDZ.

smalltalk
20-01-2004, 20:30
[Can I have my name changed into Vainquer?] ;)

Hygro
21-01-2004, 07:57
quote:Originally posted by anarres

almost regret?!?!! [aargh]
Hey I like CFC. It just didn't occur to me until a few months ago that CDZ would be its own team, and I didn't appreciate that notion until only a week ago. This forum is not my civ home. Which is why I don't fully regret being part of CFC.

Rest assured, if we at CFC lose the elimination round, I'm going to come knocking on this door looking for shelter ;)

Matrix
22-01-2004, 13:56
I'm sure this thread would've stayed alive at CFC as well ProPain. ;)

I joint CFC because it's my home and it will always stay my home. That's a result of being member #36 when there are 40000 in total. Nevertheless I first wanted to join this site because, like Aggie said, this is a kind of a 'family'. I know these members as well as I know the CFC staff, and this is the place where I play my games.

But I figured that the best players of the world will already be at the CDZ team, so that I'd better back up CFC. I mean, admit: CDZ on a MSDG is like a dream team.

And if anyone at CFC will start to think this is anything else then a Civ3 game I will personally fly over to him and kick his arse. [xx(] (or her)

yndy
26-01-2004, 12:56
Hygro, I did not choose sides yet, so you still got a change with me. Anyway, joining the CDZ team would be unfair anyway, they are alreay half winners unless they start bashing and call themselves really cool guys, which actually they will.

OTOH, I don't have C3C, so I just wanted to spam this thread as well.

Aggie
26-01-2004, 13:16
[lol] @ yndy

Skyfish
26-01-2004, 15:24
quote:call themselves really cool guys, which actually they will
I find this rich coming from a guy who's got "The one and only" as signature [groucho]
[lol] [devil] [lol]

Hygro
27-01-2004, 07:07
Yndy, your short time actively with us in the PTW ISDG was a period of growth and success, and it wasn't a coincidence. There was a reason I voted for every position that you ran. I'd like to have that option in the conquests one too (and, we don't descriminate against non conquests owners. The game is mostly the same).

Matrix, I'm glad you chose CFC :)

Socrates
03-10-2004, 23:35
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

We're playing a game together, and it's not a "how to run a country" game, but a "how to play civ3" game.

Pretty sums up what I couldn't express myself explicitely. And I now know why I was not feeling well when some people kindly invited me to join the CFC SP demogame. I couldn't figure out how it was run, it seemed very complicated, and I didn't want to dedicate a lot of time to just one game. That's now why I understand that the demogame isn't a game about simulating a democracy, but just a massive multiplayer game. CDZ does it really better from the little I saw. A real democracy can't win the demogame.

About CFC, I'll say that I of course started to lurk and post there, but eventually grew tired of the size of the site. Finding this little place was good for me, as I knew my posts wouldn't be stuck in the middle of a lot of other stuff. CFC is just too big for me, but it's the best site for getting all the info. And here I can call myself a fucking cool guy without any *** at all, what a relief ! And it should surprise no one that, being a European myself, I like most CDZers being European too. There are not too many fucking American nerds here... [thumbsup]

Ginger_Ale
04-10-2004, 00:55
Do I count as an American nerd? ;)

Now that I see the CDZ team I'd much rather be on this team...I dunno, CFC is just, maybe too organized... oh well, I guess I can't resign there now.

Socrates
04-10-2004, 01:50
quote:Originally posted by Ginger_Ale

Dunno. [lol] Are you one of those who enjoy the Iraq war, support Bush, and raise religion as an important American trait, etc, etc, etc ?... In other words, do you feel close to that Nicator (lol, "niquer" in French mean "to fuck", so "Nicator" is "the fucker") in off-topic at CFC ? I read his recently-made FAQ about him, what an asshole !!! [lol] My post didn't imply that Americans are nerds, I was just talking about the Americans who are also nerds. European nerds don't exist here, or I don't know there are some. ;)

quote:Now that I see the CDZ team I'd much rather be on this team...I dunno, CFC is just, maybe too organized... oh well, I guess I can't resign there now.

Play some good PBEM games here, and we'll see what we can do for you. ;) Sometimes it's better to be patient. BTW, you live in SimCity City (Boston) ?

akots
04-10-2004, 03:34
The IDG-2 at CFC is completely different. Pity you cannot lurk there. The place is running well and is very small with no beaurocracy at all. I also hate the huge SP demogames there, it just sucks. These 10000-post count guys from SP Demogame don't have much to say there at least as it stands now. :)

Hygro
04-10-2004, 07:48
I'll vouch for what akots said. I bet you guys are even more constitional than we are!

Shabbaman
04-10-2004, 09:02
Obviously we're not going to give away vital information about our gaming strategy :D
I think the way we're running the game is closer to a succession game than a demogame.

Matrix
04-10-2004, 11:05
We've found the best guys for the best positions (micromanaging, strategy, diplomacy...). Democracy does not go at the expense of good play in this ISDG.
quote:I couldn't figure out how it was run, it seemed very complicated...
Well, it's very simple actually. I don't want to explain though, because I don't wish to reveal too much. (Better too little than too much.) We have a constitution, but I never read it. [lol]

Ginger_Ale
06-10-2004, 00:20
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

Dunno. [lol] Are you one of those who enjoy the Iraq war, support Bush, and raise religion as an important American trait, etc, etc, etc ?... In other words, do you feel close to that Nicator (lol, "niquer" in French mean "to fuck", so "Nicator" is "the fucker") in off-topic at CFC ? I read his recently-made FAQ about him, what an asshole !!! [lol] My post didn't imply that Americans are nerds, I was just talking about the Americans who are also nerds. European nerds don't exist here, or I don't know there are some. ;)

quote:Now that I see the CDZ team I'd much rather be on this team...I dunno, CFC is just, maybe too organized... oh well, I guess I can't resign there now.

Play some good PBEM games here, and we'll see what we can do for you. ;) Sometimes it's better to be patient. BTW, you live in SimCity City (Boston) ?

Hehe...I wonder how I would resign if I could (I don't hold any position and I've posted once or twice there). - Btw, is the CDZ team in the same game as CFC? If not...I don't see why not to switch.

Yep, I'll try playing my PBEMs once the map is made. :) And yes, I'm from Boston - why?

Edit: I'm a democrat who despises Bush, the reasons we went into Iraq ("WMDs" - yeah right my ... ), and the current government. I like Edwards more than Kerry, but Kerry more than Bush.

Hygro
07-10-2004, 01:41
CDZ and CFC are in the same game.

Lt. Killer M
07-10-2004, 08:47
Ginger-Ale: sabotage CFC so they lose, then you cna come to us as a refugee ;)

Ginger_Ale
07-10-2004, 12:12
"YES! Yes! Mr. President, I heard of a new strategy! It's called 'abandon all your cities'. Yep, it works. We should try it out! I think we would win!!"

[mischief]

Socrates
07-10-2004, 13:08

"YES! Yes! Mr. President, I heard of a new strategy! It's called 'abandon all your cities'. Yep, it works. We should try it out! I think we would win!!"

[mischief]

BIG [mischief] + [lol] + uh, what ? Ahem, well, try to persuade CFC of the good of that strategy then !! :D

Matrix
07-10-2004, 14:31
I don't think our president would agree..... [slanteye]

akots
07-10-2004, 19:09
@Ginger Ale: Apparently you know better for what the CFC team should do to please you. :)

Socrates
05-12-2004, 02:09

I bet you guys are even more constitional than we are!

It is no spoiler for the other teams (CGN and C3B) that our 2 teams (CDZ and CFC) have met (if it is spoiler, remove this then). From what we saw, I can just laugh at the quoted line. [lol] Could you explain us what a "minister" is ? Is it some kind of food you eat in your country ? [mischief] And we heard an "ambassador" was named for us ; is it a young lady who is trying to get married with one of us so that we can have stronger ties ? [tongue]

Hygro
24-03-2005, 04:15
Alright, I may have underestimated how anarchrastic (sp--and if wrong correct me. I dont like having near year old typos like "constitional") you guys are. But our government is quite loose. We have "ambassador" and such for fun more than anything else.

Shabbaman
24-03-2005, 07:57

We have "ambassador" and such for fun more than anything else.

Your fun or our fun? [lol]

Lt. Killer M
24-03-2005, 08:37
our fun - at least K!

Hygro
29-03-2005, 03:05
Why do you guys keep calling him "k"?

Darkness
29-03-2005, 09:00

Why do you guys keep calling him "k"?

'cause that's what he was called in the chats.

Hygro
29-03-2005, 09:43
Rest assured, if we at CFC lose the elimination round, I'm going to come knocking on this door looking for shelter ;)

It's been a year and 2 months since I wrote that. I am now coming and to knock for shelter, but my journey might take a while depending on how long it takes for us to die.

My only sadness about being on your team for round two is that the forum software and layout isn't as good [tongue]

Pastorius
29-03-2005, 10:18
Blasphemy!

Didnt you see the active topics, active users and active polls link on top of the forum. I betcha 90% of the people here use them everyday

Worship Snitz and the Butchers! [worship]

;)

DrAlimentado
29-03-2005, 17:56
the colours stink though...

Melifluous
29-03-2005, 18:24
Look fine to me

Melifluous

Matrix
29-03-2005, 19:39
Like Hygro, heaven's door won't be the only door I'll be knocking on. ;)

grs
29-03-2005, 19:59
Interesting this topic is popping up again and again in the last days, since it somehow gets more and more ironic with each time (although is was not a bit when the thread was started).

ProPain
29-03-2005, 20:10
I have to admit I'm with you on the forum software Hygro. I installed a VBul 3.0.7 today and that's just something. Your average admin's wet dream so to say. I'm gonna try and test it on this windows server that's supposed to handle PHP as well, so who knows. Dunno if MySql works with windows however.

I do think the costs are rather steep though, 160$ + 30$ a year.

@Kryszcztov : Who knows, you might get VB after all :)

Pastorius
29-03-2005, 20:17
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

the colours stink though...

Dr A, it is very easy to fix - just write a cascading stylesheet, let anarres edit the forum code, and you can incorporate "skins"

all that is needed is some script to enable swapping between different stylesheets - and someone with enough knowledge of CSS hacks to enable smooth use of either IE or decent browsers like Mozilla...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. We here in Norway arent known to the world as terrorists anymore (not since vikings harrassed monks in England and Ireland ;) )

DrAlimentado
29-03-2005, 22:19
I actually know CSS... the issue is actually getting any consensus on what the style should be!

If they switch to a php forum I will happily hack the code [satan] - but if we change forum software then im sure we'd be upgrading to something that incorporated skins already.

There's probably a snitz mod available for skins anyway.

Dell19
29-03-2005, 23:24
Is there actually a main .css file? Looking at the source for this page reveals that there is just a small section of css stuff and the rest is built into the HTML.

ProPain
30-03-2005, 13:15
It's build in asp Dell

Dell19
30-03-2005, 13:17
asp generates HTML though. And asp doesn't really specify the style of the pages.

ProPain
30-03-2005, 15:10
correct.

Dell19
30-03-2005, 15:38
My first comment was just a slight mistake, meant to say that most of the style stuff is included in the html rather than as style sheets.

Matrix
30-03-2005, 16:52
You bunch o' threadjackers! [rant]

Melifluous
30-03-2005, 17:00
It was always gonna happen...

Look for your inner spam Matrix!

Melifluous

PS. But to answer the question, we aint playing for CFC cos we wanted to get to the finals [lol]

Pastorius
30-03-2005, 18:31
PP & Dell - is it possible to add

<style>
<!--
@import (url:"path/stylesheet.css")
-->
</style>

Not 100% sure how it is written, but fairly sure the import tag for stylesheets work under html. But asp may be different....

DrAlimentado
30-03-2005, 19:03
I *think* that the hardcoded (by the asp backend) html styles will override an external CSS.

So the asp would need to be modded, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a snitz mod available that did that.

Dell19
30-03-2005, 19:37
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

I *think* that the hardcoded (by the asp backend) html styles will override an external CSS.

So the asp would need to be modded, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a snitz mod available that did that.

Yeah thats what I kind of think as well although admittedly I'm just learning that .asp is evil.

ProPain
30-03-2005, 21:31
WHy don't we do Matrix a favor and moce this discussion to Site Feedback. Also has the added benefit that we don't need to keep up with 2 threads about the same subject :)

Pastorius
30-03-2005, 21:33
*hint* use allmighty post moving powers to move posts to other thread ;)

Unfortunately, the Snitz forums allmighty powers only allow the moving of entire threads, not the moving of single posts [shabba]

DrAlimentado
30-03-2005, 22:07
[edit: moved discussion to other thread in site discussion]

Hygro
31-03-2005, 10:04
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous
PS. But to answer the question, we aint playing for CFC cos we wanted to get to the finals [lol]
[cry]Two reasons that's not quite a fair statement
1st, without causing much an argument we would have won the war against c3b if left to our own devices (a little thing we call horses).:D

2nd, Imagine if most of the best players from Apolyton left and made their own team called Zombiecivvers. Then these Apolytonians under the zombie flafg state their reason for having their own team being that they didn't want to lose. Yet the only reason Apolyton would have been bad was because most of the good players left in the first place, thus sort of a self fullfilling prophecy.

The point is moot because you guys really are CDZ and not CFC as this place has grown from just a pbem spinoff, but nevertheless I stand by my analogy.

ProPain
31-03-2005, 11:10
@Hygro: It's just Mel who's yanking your chain, like he does with everyone all the time.

Hygro
31-03-2005, 12:02
I'll just quietly wait to die and then join your team then :)

Socrates
31-03-2005, 12:11
Just to make things clear, and note it's my personal opinion, based on my feelings and of what I've heard from other people here.

CDZ is an independant site, and so has all rights to have a team in the ISDG (so far so good).

CDZ was created by some people, not by CFC as a site. These people (anarres and ProPain as admins, and the few people who arrived within a few days (a "group" to which I don't belong)) were posting at CFC for most of them at the time, and some still do on a regular basis.

Nevertheless, these people didn't build CDZ to extend CFC's spirit (if that makes sense), but to provide features that couldn't exist at CFC (namely, personal forums and much more). It is also true that CDZ didn't inherit CFC's board spirit, and some of us even see this place as a haven (for whatever reason).

All in all, CDZ is a matter of people who happen(ed) to post at CFC. Not much more really.

To add to that, I joined the ISDG CDZ team in September when I was told that CDZ didn't play this big game like other teams, and that is what attracted me. For a long time I didn't bother joining because I thought I would have to go through the hassle that you can find in other teams. And I think I chose the right team, even if I don't have as much responsability as a Governor in the CFC team.

Note this was entirely my personal opinion.

Melifluous
31-03-2005, 18:57
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

@Hygro: It's just Mel who's yanking your chain, like he does with everyone all the time.

Yup that's me! Also one of the reasons I post here and not at CFC.

They called it trolling (or just plain spam) there and tried to ban poor old me.

Also some Fascist Asshole had decided that CFC's policy was entirely pro-war in Iraq and disagreeing with a mod was bannable.

But anyways, he left and banned me anyway (just for fun).

That was a flippant remark not intended to offend (nothing I say is intended to offend). I just thought I should try and post something on topic [:p] and that was the first thing that came to mind.

Melifluous

Melifluous
31-03-2005, 18:58
<GROUP HUG>

Melifluous

Pastorius
31-03-2005, 20:01
There is so much [love] @ CDZ these days [crazyeye]

Matrix
01-04-2005, 19:34
Please.
My brother+wife is here with their half-year-old daughter. I've witnessed enough lurve. [sad]

Hygro
01-04-2005, 21:08
awww that's so sweet!

Matrix
02-04-2005, 19:41
Yea. That. [^]