PDA

View Full Version : I missed out on Space in OCC - Monarch

Aggie
19-01-2004, 09:03
Yesterday I played an OCC to see how powerful that Seafaring trait with Philo gambit is for this variant. I took the Byzantines on an archi/standard map.

Well, it is surely powerful when you are the only one with that trait and 4 other scientific ones (Persians, Ottomans, Baylonians, Koreans) - who came at random. I managed to get the wonders Colossus, Pyramids, The Great Library, Hanging Gardens, Sistine Chapel, Bach and (edit:) Theory of Gravity [hammer].

The free tech of the Industrial Age made me a tech broker, being the first with Electricity, Scientific Method, Atomic Theory, Electronics and Radio. The last one gave me a SGL, which I used to rush the UN. I then already had built the Theory of Evolution (hence Atomic Theory and Electronics) and Hoover as well [:o].

When I entered the Modern Age I got there with the Koreans only. The rest was at war with the agressive Persians who were my neighbours and almost eliminated me in the Ancient Age.

I was still able to research techs within about 14 turns (those scientists are great!) and with the world at war that was pretty quick compared to them. But three techs before I could launch (still 40 turns), I got a cultural victory, which I was after at the start but was brutal now.

At the end I had +10000 gold and made 200 gpt while researching at max. A great part of the money came from the wonders being tourist attractions.

I definatelly will try a new OCC and then space will be the goal.

Lt. Killer M
19-01-2004, 09:09
:D

you spend your time more productive than I did - I had two (count them, two instances of the disappearing-MPPP bug on PTW deity yesterday, one cost me the game, the other I haven't played on......

I am still a bit surprised by the huge number of early wonders! Any SGL involved there?

ProPain
Impressive. Have to try an occ again myself sometime, after I got my butt kicked on emperor level OCC 1,5 years ago in the tourny I shunned it.

Skyfish
Sounds way too easy man :D

Aggie
19-01-2004, 09:12
No SGL's - only he fact that AI couldn't make contact soon due to archipelago and not seafaring. That means that you can easily be ahead a long time. In fact, I decided to make the Great Library obsolete myself to research Music Theory and avoid a cascade which would ruin my Leo build. That actually did work out!

Lt. Killer M
19-01-2004, 09:26
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

No SGL's - only he fact that AI couldn't make contact soon due to archipelago and not seafaring. That means that you can easily be ahead a long time. In fact, I decided to make the Great Library obsolete myself to research Music Theory and avoid a cascade which would ruin my Leo build. That actually did work out!

I am still not getting used to the contact rules

Grille
19-01-2004, 09:33
in C3C, trading contact is possible with printing press - that's late...;)
formerly, it was writing - that's early ;)

that, and tech costs are dependent on contacts;)

Btw, even sea-faring AIs are a bit lame gaining conatacts (suicide curragh etc seem to be still a no-no)

Aggie
19-01-2004, 10:03
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Sounds way too easy man :D

But it was a lot of fun in merely two hours [tongue]. You are right. This was surely not an impressive gameplay that made me win it. It only makes it more clear to me that C3C is a lot easier as seafaring on acrhi/continents!

Aggie
19-01-2004, 16:51
Take a look at the city of Constantinople's science!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004119164851_Constantinpolescience.jpg
132.76KB

This is the city top 5:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004119165128_constantinopletop5.jpg
49.52KB

Lt. Killer M
19-01-2004, 16:58
[lol] haven't seen one of those since the days of Civ2!!!!!

remember researching several techs in one turn?

Aggie
22-01-2004, 21:43
In a new try science is even higher:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Aggie/2004122214221_OCC science.jpg
133.48KB

But I'm afraid that I again miss space due to Culture win :(

WildFire
22-01-2004, 23:05
You're saying that like culture win is a bad thing [:p]

Aggie
22-01-2004, 23:09
It is when you want to win Space with OCC on Monarch :D The AI is too stupid though :(

Aggie
23-01-2004, 18:14
:Dhttp://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76313.

I used the same map as in the first try (play last map), but it turned out to be a totally different game.