PDA

View Full Version : Portal Page

digger760
16-01-2004, 14:50
There seems to be no obvious link on the portal page to the forums. I have bookmared active topics, but i think i would bookmark the portal page if there was an obvious link to the forums there. I was speaking to a new member recently and they were not sure how to get to the forums either.

digger760

Shabbaman
16-01-2004, 14:56
Well...

If you press the logo you get into the forums, and if you press active topics you get into the forum...

anarres
16-01-2004, 15:11
We do need to update the portal significantly - there is a lot of redesign that can happen to make it look much nicer.

If I can get it looking good I hope many more people will use it as their "point of entry".

Anyone with time to spare is welcome to volunteer their efforts to help!

col
16-01-2004, 15:30
quote:Originally posted by anarres

If I can get it looking good I hope many more people will use it as their "point of entry".

[coool]

Pastorius
16-01-2004, 16:59
I just use active topics. I remember when I first came here, I had some issues scouting out the right way into the forum...cant say it is the most obvious - normally clicking the logo takes you to the "home" page of a site...I never thought about that being the forum/default.asp - I just assumed it was leading to the portal...

I d like to volunteer, on a "work-when-I-have-time-and-mood-for-it" basis
I know diddly squat about asp, but I do manage to write tags on a fairly acceptable level...in all modesty

Anyway - if it is allright, I d just send the code I d make for review to Anar or PP (not that I have done any work though...)

I was thinking about some of these features:

-A ticker or something for ladder info? - but that would probably need some more or less advanced scripting, or java even...
The ticker could have such info as: Current games: blabla or Top 5 ladder players: blabla or Top5 ladder Civs: blabla
or you could just find a way to make this into an easily updatable fixed feature....
-A SP Challenge feature - perhaps similar to the CFC GOTM - without all the fancy smancy work - just a presentation, a screenshot of the start and a link to the right thread
-Some links to the most important fora (OT... [:p])

anarres
16-01-2004, 17:23
At the most basic level we need stuff written in 'forum code', i.e. using the [b] tags, etc.

If anyone wants to submit anything like this for an existing page (re-write) or a new page (anything) then just post it here, or email it to me or pp. (dedicated cdz feedback emails are not implemented yet)...

ProPain
18-01-2004, 17:25
I already started putting in news items a week ago. Hoping that a bit of change after all those months might entice people to use it. So if you have something interesting for the portal page, let me know. Paalikles your help would me much appreciated, so mail me whenever you have anything.

And it can use some graphics too!b

Melifluous
19-01-2004, 00:25
I saw that you had been adding news to the main page Propain [goodjob]

Also I knew it was you and not anarres as the dates are in dutch [:p]

Still after much searching around the net and in libraries I finally decoded the word januari to the english word january [coool]

Melifluous

ProPain
19-01-2004, 01:26
thanks mel. It also shows I copy paste my dates as I keep calling it januari. Ah well, instead of correcting it I'll wait for februari [:p]