PDA

View Full Version : I end all my PBEM's

Aggie
11-01-2004, 11:38
I have tried to like C3C, but the game just can't interest me anymore. Therefore I have decided to end all my PBEM's. This means that I don't have any urgents reasons to visit this site very often. I also will stop making maps, so please remove me from the Map Maker mod list.

I have a few ladder games running, please feel free to declare my opponents as the winner of those games.

I certainly will keep visiting this site, but I expect that CIV4 is needed to get me into the game again.

Thank you all for a great CIV year!

EDIT - more insight on my decision:

I already started to get bored with CIV3-PBEM last August. I then said that I hoped for a great C3C. In parts it certainly is a great game (seafaring trait, later map and communication trade). But in other parts I hate it (Temple of Zeus - Ivory gives an absurd advantage-, Scientific Leaders, etc...). I don't like C3C as multiplayer game.

This morning there was an -in itself innocent- event which triggered the question: "Do I really like it enough to continue ?". The answer was "No".

I will continue with Succesion Games, because I think that C3C is a good SP game.

ERIKK
11-01-2004, 11:51
That is too bad aggie. What if we set up those standard rules and a new patch is delivered?
- no more annoying rules discussions
- no more corruption issues and (less) bugs ;)
You enjoyed our games very much, so you can enjoy new games too once we sorted everything out!

Stapel
11-01-2004, 11:56
I am sure the CIV virus will get you again, either with a good patch or with CIV IV!

Beam
11-01-2004, 13:13
That is really a pity Aggie, and quite a surprise after our powersession this morning.

Hope to see you back soon!

Aggie
11-01-2004, 14:35
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

That is too bad aggie. What if we set up those standard rules and a new patch is delivered?
- no more annoying rules discussions
- no more corruption issues and (less) bugs ;)
You enjoyed our games very much, so you can enjoy new games too once we sorted everything out!

Those standard rules are a good thing, but it will not convince me to continue. I enjoyed our first two games very much, because they allowed me to learn a lot about the game. I need that to enjoy something. But I'm now at a point that I don't want to spend a lot of energy into perfecting my PBEM skills. At a certain point the turns would take me too much time and patience. I'm not that kind of player.

Lt. Killer M
11-01-2004, 15:16
aggie, this is a pity - can't we finish our PBEM in the leasury style you know I adopt? Just play happy go lucky, no micromanaging, now shield counting, just fun?

Aggie
11-01-2004, 15:21
Killer, it is not only that. It's just a part of why I decided to quit PBEM.

Lt. Killer M
11-01-2004, 15:30
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

Killer, it is not only that. It's just a part of why I decided to quit PBEM.
[cry][cry][cry][cry]

I hope to see you online once in a while though!

DrAlimentado
11-01-2004, 15:36
[cry] Don't go!

You are a real credit to this community Aggie, your going will be our loss.

I hope you will still stop by and post here at any rate, it will be a real shame if you dissapear altogether.

Aggie
11-01-2004, 15:43
I won't dissapear... I will be a non-PBEM playing visitor of the site.

DrAlimentado
11-01-2004, 16:24
[goodjob] glad to hear it :D

Skyfish
11-01-2004, 16:45
[cry]
Oh no !

anarres
11-01-2004, 17:02
[sad]

It will be a real loss to us if you stop playing, I really hope C3C becomes playable for you at some point...

Beam
11-01-2004, 17:31
quote:This morning there was an -in itself innocent- event which triggered the question: "Do I really like it enough to continue ?". The answer was "No".

I should have stayed in bed [sad]

Plux
11-01-2004, 17:38
[cry] Shame to see you quitting PBEM's, Aggie, although I respect and probably understand your reasons very well. It is a pity that a fun game such as Civ inherently can be so time consuming. That's why I got a liking for playing PBEM's iso SP-games, because they are less addictive and suffer less from the 'just-on-more-turn'-syndrome. To be honest Civ was one of the primary reasons why my studies lacked any progress the last two years, but the switch to PBEM-ing gave me the opportunity to play the same game but at a different intensity (have I mentioned yet that since this December I am drs. Plux :D?). Anyway, I hope you will continue to be a regular visitor of this community, and if you ever see the C3C-light again, of course don't hesitate to return here and pick it up again! :)

Aggie
11-01-2004, 17:44
quote:Originally posted by Beam

quote:This morning there was an -in itself innocent- event which triggered the question: "Do I really like it enough to continue ?". The answer was "No".

Beam, the PBEM community and CDZ in special should be (is) happy to have you! You had nothing to do with my decision. Same goes for others that were awake early :).

WildFire
11-01-2004, 17:53
[cry]

So what WILL hold your attention? [guns]

Beam
11-01-2004, 17:55

quote:Originally posted by Beam

Beam, the PBEM community and CDZ in special should be (is) happy to have you! You had nothing to do with my decision. Same goes for others that were awake early :).

And that is very much appreciated Aggie, this is how I felt at some point today but that is a couple of hours ago as I understand the why now. No hard feelings and the game is in the fridge to be continued at some point in time. With due respect.

col
11-01-2004, 21:41
Nothing like going out at the top.

Good Luck Aggie - and see you around.

Stapel
12-01-2004, 11:05
I see Sky was the last to post in this thread (after Col), but I don't see his post....

digger760
12-01-2004, 11:15
quote:Originally posted by col

Nothing like going out at the top.

Good Luck Aggie - and see you around.

Thats because Sky edited an earlier post after Col's post. If you had clicked on the last post arrow, when Sky was the last poster, the link would have taken you to Sky's edited post.

Melifluous
12-01-2004, 11:52
What?

Leaving?

Asshole! [aargh]

Did we just start a PBEM?

Why you little two faced rat shit dumb fucking little bastard.

Sorry to see you go :(

Melifluous

[:p]

Aggie
12-01-2004, 12:41
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

What?

Leaving?

Asshole! [aargh]

Did we just start a PBEM?

Why you little two faced rat shit dumb fucking little bastard.

Sorry to see you go :(

Melifluous

[:p]

Yup. Pretty selfish I know :( And thank you for the kind words ;)

Lt. Killer M
12-01-2004, 13:03
selfish?

lazy!

Aggie
12-01-2004, 14:13
Selfish and lazy [:o]

Melifluous
12-01-2004, 15:42

[quote]
And thank you for the kind words ;)

Anytime my friend ;)

On a more serious note, it will be a shame to not play our first ever PBEM together, but I completely understand and appreciate your consideration in not wasting the time of those who would like to play [goodjob]

Also you ever need a place to stay when you visit England

just give me a shout

I'll find a nice hotel for you [:p]

Melifluous

PS. Yes that was lame but funny no?

ProPain
12-01-2004, 16:28
Sorry to see you go Aggie. I hope you'll be around on CDZ once in awhile, maybe in the SP challenge forum.

I'd like to thank you especially for all the effort you put in the mapmaking forum. MP wouldn't be so much fun without those maps.

Moonsinger
15-01-2004, 16:44
An end to one thing, a new beginning to another. Have a good journey on wherever you are going Aggie!:) You are the one of the nicest person chatting with and it was a pleasure playing with you.

Sir Eric
26-01-2004, 13:27

I already started to get bored with CIV3-PBEM last August.

That was around the time that you kicked my arse in the game that we played.
Dont tell me I sucked so badly that I put you off the game?? [lol]
That means that since Killer is beating me too then he'll be the next one to go. [eek]
It'll be sad to see you not play anymore, well unti civ4.

Pastorius
26-01-2004, 13:35
[lol]

damn shame you are quitting pbem playing

and I was about to challenge you too [crazyeye]

well - that is one less [B)] for me then :)

well - stick around, or the collective IQ level of this forum will drop ;) - you saw what happened when Anarres turned on online/offline status [groucho]

Aggie
26-01-2004, 14:35
quote:Originally posted by Sir Eric

I already started to get bored with CIV3-PBEM last August.

That was around the time that you kicked my arse in the game that we played.
Dont tell me I sucked so badly that I put you off the game?? [lol]
That means that since Killer is beating me too then he'll be the next one to go. [eek]
It'll be sad to see you not play anymore, well unti civ4.

I had played a lot of interesting games before I left to New Zealand. I liked the games vs Plux, Stapel, Eldakkar, Jack Merchant and you for example. But I started to notice that the games tended to have a certain pattern. I then tried games to go totally different ways, with variant rules. I tried it vs Jack Merchant (no stealing), Erikk (Space Race), Killer (amhpibious attacks) and Nightfa11 (berzerks for both). It didn't spice it up for me as I hoped it would.

yndy
26-01-2004, 16:25
What Aggie quitting PBEMs?

Yo, I wished I had so much time to play like you had, now let me make a suggestion, if you are a little bored of civ, try www.hattrick.org . It worked like a charm for me [groucho]

I know i'm getting annoying with that but at least I'm not promising you hotel reservations. [:p]

Aggie
20-02-2004, 11:58
I understand now that another reason for ending my PBEM's has been the stress at work. I didn't notice it then, but I always went home drained and basically wanted to do nothing and lay on the couch. That for someone who enjoys to work out 3 times a week at least (running, climbing, squash) is unnatural behaviour.

I basically work for a terrible/cold/American management style [mad2] company (to which I was outsourced). I see 6 years of hard work vanish before my eyes and have tried to repair/avoid catastrophe as much as possible. In Januari something happenend at work and it became obvious that we -the outsourced staff- had no power whatsoever to change things for the good.

I had been struggling with this for a month. Last week I made a decision: I will leave the company immediately OR they find me a better (quieter) position for a year. Why a year? Well, we have the opportunity to go back to our former employer in a year and their arrangement regarding resignation is much better. Because:

-You may search for a new job for 18 months while still getting payed
-If you find a new job that pays less, they compensate it for 4 years!

So I'm still stuck with this disaster of a company, but I will at least be more relaxed at work. I am still not completely the old Aggie, but I'm getting there. Who knows, I might even end my PBEM-freeze before too long. But I don't want to rush things, because that got me into trouble before...

Today I made my choices clear to my human resource manager and I feel very good about it :D

Lt. Killer M
20-02-2004, 12:11
aggie, your mental well-being must come first - great to here you are getting there ;)

anarres
20-02-2004, 12:25
Great news aggie. Unhappiness at work sucks big time, I am glad you have at least made headway...

ERIKK
20-02-2004, 12:27
Well done aggie! :)
You see it more and more that this management style is contraproductive.

ProPain
20-02-2004, 14:09
Good you realised this and acted upon it, I've seen some people burn out because they didn't take the actions you did. No company or job is more important than your health, both mentally and physically.

Plux
20-02-2004, 14:24
Ok, Aggie! Good to hear you're getting there [goodjob]. Sometimes it can be hard indeed to find out what's exactly bugging you in stressful situations. Of course, blaming the boss is always a solution ;)

col
21-02-2004, 00:03
Smart.

Matrix
27-02-2004, 00:29
A bit late to respond, but good luck, Aggie. :)
I've had experience with this kind of stress myself, where you don't want to do things you normally liked because you're already too burned out by your other responsibilities.

Please keep us posted!
quote:Originally posted by ERIKK

You see it more and more that this management style is contraproductive.
My aunt had quit her old job because she got into an arguement with her inferior superior. Now she's got a new job where she's got an arguement with her inferior superior. [rolleyes] Luckily this time the superior of her superior is backing her up, but it's a perfect example in any case. ;)

Aggie
22-03-2004, 20:13
You may have noticed that I have been pretty active on the boards (mainly CFC though). That is because I have a lot of time these days. Last Wednesday my new boss (the old one got a promotion) advised me to see a doctor and her initial diagnosis was: I'm on the edge of a burn-out. Probably this has been lingering since June last year!

Anyway, I am now excused for work and await futher action of the company I'm working for. It appears that they are responsible for my well-being and should do everything they can to get me on my feet again. At their cost!

I must say that this was a great relief for me. I was very frustrated about the fact that I didn't do my best at work, but now a probable (and logical) cause is found. I hope to be back in action again soon, because being at home the whole day feeling quite alright (but not totally) is boring. Despite the diversion I have with CIV. Among other things. I actually picked up running three times a week again.

Beam
22-03-2004, 20:35
Sounds like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hope you get well soon, but don't underestimate the time it takes to recover from a burn-out!

I've seen to many collegues coming back to soon. Net result: next collapse is even more severe.

Our PBEM is still lingering around on my HD, just in case [tongue]

Skyfish
22-03-2004, 20:50
Great to hear you run again !
And also that you were diagnosed before things got worse, burn-outs are really terrible ! And it does make sense/explain some stuff over last year...
I truely believe that taking it easy for a while is the way to cope...but dont go overdo things and be in 15 SGs
at the same time even though you feel bored [nono]
I recommend more 5 good SGs and 5 good PBEMs with well known, stable, and understanding players :D
(geen stress kip zoals Killer dus ;) )