PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting for the elusive SGL!

anarres
05-01-2004, 14:01
OK, anyone else still waiting for their first SGL? [cry]

I've been first to about 50 techs I think, many as Scientific. If I don't get one soon I may start wondering if they really exist...

P.S. I know the odds mean that not getting one isn't that unlikely, but it still sucks!!

Aggie
05-01-2004, 14:07
I played one game so far, an emperor game (Dutch) in which I was first in tech 35 times (roughly). That should be good for one SGL on average. I got none.

I hate the luck factor of it. IMHO they should have increased the chance to about 10%... Now a SGL in the early game is absurdly unbalancing!

ProPain
05-01-2004, 14:14
I've seen it happen twice untill now.

Skyfish
05-01-2004, 14:17
Never happened ! ...but what the fuck is 3% ...[cry]

Melifluous
05-01-2004, 14:35
I just finished a fantastic game as the Mayans.

I managed the philo gambit and got Monarchy for my Free Tech and also got a SGL. Age of Science and Golden Age at the same time :D

Melifluous

col
05-01-2004, 15:15
Read my thread on my game v beam. Got one with my first research.

Beam
05-01-2004, 16:00
quote:Originally posted by col

Read my thread on my game v beam. Got one with my first research.

[saiyan]

However there is compensation in my 2nd game vs. Erikk, SGL used to rush the Great Library [party]

WildFire
05-01-2004, 19:54
I got one SGL in my first game of conquests!

Haven't gotten one since (faaaar too long).

smalltalk
05-01-2004, 20:13
That's how they say where I come from:
Luck isn't going to be biased for a hundred years.

But I'm glad, there are now scientific leaders instead of military ones.
I hope, the luck is now a bit more biased in my favour. ;)

OT-[rant]
If I wanted randomness in my games, I would play Blackjack or Poker. Or Russian Roulette.

But I don't want randomness. I don't like it. Anyone remembers the old Avalon-Hill Civilization board game? What I loved about it was its deterministic set of rules. You only had to roll the dice, when there was a draw.

(But there was random vulcano activity.)

Kingreno
06-01-2004, 10:07
Best so far was three sgl's for spain in the ancient era!

Oh, and sgl's indeed suck.

However. Having played a bunch of sid-level-games as well...and I always watch the replay, I have NEVER seen an AI-SGL!!! And that is rather strange having had dozens myself. In SID games I naturally discover nothing first, and the AI's everything. So could the SGL be limited to human players?

In that case. They only suck in PBEM.

ERIKK
06-01-2004, 12:05
Got one in my game against Beam as Spain researching Republic somewhere near 690BC. My first
one in a PBEM. I saw one before in a single player game. I also saw some SGL's in the replay
of another single player game. The ai does get them and it is shown as an event in the replay.

col
06-01-2004, 12:11
I've seen AI SGL - and they store them for later use. I thought it was safe in an SP game to sell a tech round when I was a couple of turns away from completing a wonder. Wrong! They beat me to it and I know they werent completing any techs because I'd got them bankrupt by then with gpt payments.

I dont think there is a limit on having several SGL at the same time, unlike military GLs.

Aggie
06-01-2004, 18:16
What I find even more worrying, now I think about it, is that always the same human player is first up. Suppose that player 1 and 2 start researching tech A (both due in 4 turns). Player 2 will never be able to get the tech at first and therefore never have a shot at a SGL. It is already frustrating for a player 2 when you see that player 1 has the tech in the same turn and therefore gets all the good deals. A SGL chance makes this even worse.

IMHO this is not far fetched. My first game vs ERIKK went down the drain partly because I researched the same tech on the same turn as ERIKK four times in a row.